Author Topic: Best Opener/Headliner Combo You've Seen  (Read 4627 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Best Opener/Headliner Combo You've Seen
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2020, 01:29:40 PM »
Interesting.  My take is Dokken went LESS "hair/glam" after ULAK.  The next album Back For The Attack is a much more stripped down and aggressive sound.  Not only that, a few of their reunion albums are quite good.

You may well be correct.  Since I basically abandoned Dokken after ULAK (the only song I really liked was Lightnin' Strikes Again), I can't offer an opinion about what came after.  Looking at the track listing for Back for the Attack, I'm familiar with Dream Warriors (which I think was used in one of the Freddy Kruger moves, right?) and maybe Mr. Scary.  Looking at the discography, it seems there was a long hiatus after BFTA, and if I've heard any subsequent Dokken song, I wouldn't know it.

I think Dokkens older material holds up much better than Great White.

I definitely agree.  Paris/Paris Is Burning is still a pretty kick-ass song.  Alone Again is a great 80s metal ballad (that was released before that class of songs became cheesy/bad).  And a couple other songs still hold up.  I actually listened to Stick It for the first time in 30+ years not too long ago.  It holds some nostalgia value, and it's probably cool live, but I never liked any of GW's hits -- particularly when they broke big.

I've noticed this before that the perceptions from the west coast are different than the perceptions on the east coast. . . .  I much preferred Twisted Sister (those first two records, from '82 and '83, are in my view essential).

I didn't know who Twisted Sister was until the two big MTV videos.  I bought Stay Hungry and, subsequently, Come Out and Play, but I was basically done with them by the time the latter came out.  At some point, I went back and bought You Can't Stop Rock 'n' Roll.  The title track is still a great song, but I can't really recall any of the other songs (I bought all these albums on vinyl and didn't replace them on CD when I dumped my vinyl around 1997).  I may have also bought Under the Blade, but looking at the track list, I couldn't tell you how any of the songs go.  For my friends and me, TS was a one trick pony that couldn't sustain itself, and I always think back to a particular interview that Dee Snider gave in which he said something like, "It's awfully hard to write about being an angry and rebellious young man when you're 30 years old and sitting out by your pool behind your million dollar house."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2020, 03:47:01 PM »
I have to admit that the 14-year old KevShmev had Back for the Attack on cassette and thought the cover was killer. I still think it is pretty cool. Burning Like a Flame was one of my favorite songs of that year at the time.  I still think it's a good tune, but the one tune of theirs that has aged really well for me is Heaven Sent. That is a great song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2020, 04:07:44 PM »
I have to admit that the 14-year old KevShmev had Back for the Attack on cassette and thought the cover was killer. I still think it is pretty cool. Burning Like a Flame was one of my favorite songs of that year at the time.  I still think it's a good tune, but the one tune of theirs that has aged really well for me is Heaven Sent. That is a great song.
Yeah, that album was pretty solid as a whole.

PG, give Mr. Scary a listen.  To this day, it's one of my favorite guitar instrumentals.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline max_security

« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2020, 04:26:24 PM »
Yeah, that album was pretty solid as a whole.

PG, give Mr. Scary a listen.  To this day, it's one of my favorite guitar instrumentals.

George Lynch plays on this , and may have inspired his Mr. Scary instrumental ( or maybe another artist on the Shrapnel label at the time ).

https://youtu.be/xKPZJ0nEq0E

Offline pg1067

« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2020, 05:14:36 PM »

That's a good one too.  It was transcribed in an issue of Guitar for the Practicing Musician.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2020, 05:53:43 PM »
He was always older than the rest of the band but he was always super fit. Looked younger than the other band members. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2020, 08:07:49 PM »
He was always older than the rest of the band but he was always super fit. Looked younger than the other band members.

Then he started body-building and got jacked!  Also, I thought that Pilson was the young one in Dokken, and that the other three were pretty close in age, with Don Dokken being the oldest.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2020, 07:09:21 AM »

Then he started body-building and got jacked!  Also, I thought that Pilson was the young one in Dokken, and that the other three were pretty close in age, with Don Dokken being the oldest.

You are right good sir.  I don't know why but I always had it in my mind that Lynch was older. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2020, 07:54:38 AM »
Saw Type O Negative open for Pantera in Montreal. Had no clue who TON were, but became a fan for life.

More of a package deal but, "Clash of the Titans" in Toronto. Alice in Chains, Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeth. My 17 y/o mind was blown.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2020, 09:57:00 AM »

Oldest to youngest:  Dokken (1953), Lynch (1954), Brown (1956), Pilson (1959).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2020, 10:28:23 AM »

Huh.  I always thought it was an AC/DC-type thing, where Dokken was like four or five years older than the rest.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2020, 12:10:55 PM »

Huh.  I always thought it was an AC/DC-type thing, where Dokken was like four or five years older than the rest.

I thought the same thing before looking it up (because I vaguely recalled hearing something to that effect back in the day).  And, since you mentioned AC/DC, both Don Dokken and George Lynch are older than Angus Young, which surprised the heck out of me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2020, 01:28:37 PM »
That's just crazy. Who knew that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2020, 02:44:20 PM »

I thought the same thing before looking it up (because I vaguely recalled hearing something to that effect back in the day).  And, since you mentioned AC/DC, both Don Dokken and George Lynch are older than Angus Young, which surprised the heck out of me.

I would have lost my retirement on that bet.  Well, not Don, but certainly George.  Never in a million....

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2020, 07:54:59 PM »
Going with:

Rush/Marillion (Twice)
Marillion/Dream Theater
Dream Theater/ Spock's Beard
Metallica/Queensryche