Author Topic: Accelerando's Top 50 Albums v. COMPLETED  (Read 19418 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The Glass Prison is one of my favorite DT songs for sure!!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Oh no! Did this happen recently?!?

Few months back!

Yep, good call on SDOIT.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Innuendo
Queen

This album means a lot to Queen fans, and possibly the rock n roll community. It is the last Queen album to be released with Freddie Mercury before his death nine months after it’s release, and the last to be composed of new Queen material. Having just recently released The Miracle in 1989, the band members knew that they needed to act fast, as it was becoming obvious that Freddie Mercury's time was limited. Rumors were still circulating about his diagnosis of AIDs, which at the time had yet to be confirmed to the public as true. The last album with the foursome is one of their finest works in their legendary career.

Innuendo let Freddie Mercury ponder the most profound issues of life and death, and mankind's inability to live harmoniously. The lyrics are blatantly autobiographical from Mercury's standpoint, such as the reflective "These Are the Days of Our Lives"; and he does so with a determined gleam in his eye. Queen’s sound was more mature and perfected. They utilized great guitar work, wrote excellent lyrics, tight playing, and created a perplexed atmosphere, such as “Bijou.” This is great rock music as it should be, with homogenize structures, great parts, and nothing too protracted or overplayed.

The album starts with the title track, and it is as epic and powerful as anything the band has ever done before. Mercury's vocals soar on waves of sonic blasts courtesy of Brian May's guitar symphonics and guest guitarist Steve Howe's Spanish-style picking. "I'm Going Slightly Mad" is somewhat chilling in light of reality, but Mercury infuses it with his usual tongue-in-cheek defiant humor, and "Headlong" is a pleasingly crunchy rocker highlighted by Queen's groovy rhythm section of Taylor and Deacon. Other highlights include the exhilarating "Ride the Wild Wind" and “Don’t Try So Hard.”

As brilliant as all of the above are, the coup de grace is "The Show Must Go On," where Mercury faces his fate "with a grin," and sings "on with the show" with such conviction, passion, and pathos that it both breaks your heart and causes the hair on your arm to rise. The lush instrumentation here is incredibly powerful, with only a voice like Mercury's could even transcend it.

Innuendo is a moving document of the passing of one of music's finest vocalists, the incomparable Freddie Mercury, and for that reason alone, makes this album indispensible. But beyond that, it is a stellar collection of songs, masterfully performed, by a powerful band at the top of their game.

Favorite Tracks: The Show Must Go On, Innuendo, I'm Going Slightly Mad, Headlong, These Are The Days of Our Lives

Offline Accelerando

Re: Accelerando's Top 50 Albums v. TOP TEN: #5 "The Show Must Go On..."
« Reply #143 on: October 06, 2014, 02:04:58 AM »
Dangerous
Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson’s Dangerous is the best album of his solo career.  It is his most dynamic album, packed with hard hitting dance hits, SFX, heartfelt lyrics, touching melodies and beautiful harmonies. After the huge success of Thriller and Bad, Jackson had the damn near impossible task of trying to maintain the close to perfect quality. The rise of Nirvana, and the more serious and darker tone of the 90s musical scene, meant Jackson had to adapt with the times or risk getting seen as a nostalgia act. Jackson decided to incorporate a heavy rock and industrial sound to compliment his upbeat and rhythmic musical style he has been known for.

Sonically, Dangerous shared little in common with the work of fellow pop stars like Madonna and Whitney Houston. Its tone was much more ominous, gritty, urban, and industrial. It had as much or as little to do with pop as Nirvana’s Nevermind, which was released the same year as Dangerous. The stylistic differences are obvious enough. Nevermind was rooted in punk rock and grunge, while Dangerous was primarily grounded in R&B/New Jack Swing. Yet both expressed a strikingly similar sense of alienation, with many songs functioning as a kind of confessional poetry.

In place of the pristine, cinematic grooves of Bad is something more attuned to the real world, something more edgy and urgent. The shattering glass at the beginning of “Jam” fittingly symbolizes the breakthrough. Dangerous was Jackson’s first album without legendary producer Quincy Jones. “Why You Wanna Trip On Me” showcases hard rock licks he incorporated in his music. "In The Closet" has to be one of the absolute best songs on the entire album. Michael has never been this explicit before, but it works rather well with the female vocals of the song’s mystery girl. The video with Naomi Cambell was banned in some countries. "Remember The Time" and "Who Is It" are two brilliant songs that are perfectly executed with killer beats and funky basslines. “Give In To Me” and “Black and White” convinces me that Michael Jackson would have been an excellent frontman for a hard rock band, and Slash’s contributions are uncanny.

Michael has done a few numbers where he is promoting world peace. However, with “Heal The World”, it is Michael’s most convincing because the message is not one that involves a mass audience, but the song speaks to you as an individual. “Will You Be There” is an exceptional ballad that is often remembered for being the main song to the movie Free Willy. "Keep The Faith" is another excellent song about self-power and really does make an impact on the overall face-value of the album.

Dangerous is by far one of the most essential albums of the 1990's. The entire album is almost 80 minutes long, so you definitely get your money's worth, with each song usually running into the six/seven minute time bracket. It’s in my top 10 albums of all time because every song is great and there's nothing like Michael Jackson's music to get you moving and grooving on the dance floor.

Favorite Tracks: Give In To Me, In The Closet, Will You Be There, Why You Wanna Trip On Me, Who Is it

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Accelerando's Top 50 Albums v. TOP TEN: #5-#4 "The Show Must Go On..."
« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2014, 03:55:12 AM »
I'll have to check that MJ album out properly for my 6yo son - he is obsessed with him and also Weird Al since I introduced him to Eat It  ;D

I got into Michael Jackon on Thriller , mostly because Lukather and Van Halen played guitars on Beat It , but didn't really follow much after that.   Give In To Me was pretty cool come to think of it - I remember the vid with Slash.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2014, 05:14:05 AM »
Dangerous I'd say was always my fav MJ record.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2014, 09:02:44 AM »
Two more to my to-lsten list.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2014, 09:08:04 AM »
great pick with Innuendo!  it almost made my list.  great writeup too.  I love that title track, and The Show Must Go On is a perfect way for Freddy to say goodbye, sadly.

I've tried to get into Dangerous, but it just sounds less musical to me than Thriller and Bad.  Less melodies, more R&B beats, not really my thing.  But good to see MJ getting some appreciation.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #148 on: October 06, 2014, 01:58:19 PM »
Dangerous is by far one of the most essential albums of the 1990's.

I disagree immensely but, to each his own i guess.

I've tried to get into Dangerous, but it just sounds less musical to me than Thriller and Bad.

I think it's nowhere close OTW, Thriller or Bad, just decent.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 02:21:27 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #149 on: October 08, 2014, 12:24:30 AM »
To each their own. Dangerous is a great album. It may not have those hits that Thriller and Bad had aside from "Black and White", but the music is just as good, or even better. I really love that gritty sound he brought on that record.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #150 on: October 08, 2014, 12:39:15 AM »
The Fundamental Elements of Southtown
P.O.D.

As I mentioned with my Satellite write up, I discovered P.O.D. on happenstance, live at Universal Studios Orlando. Imagine going to a Christian music festival ie. Rock The Universe, and after watching very spiritual acts like Third Day, you walk by a heavy guitar playing with the vocalist screaming on tops of his lungs "PUSH YOURSELF LIKE MAN! BRACE YOURSELF LIKE A MAN! JUST PUSH YOURSELF LIKE A MAN! IM AN OUTCAST! DONT COUNT ME OUT!" I was blown away, and rocked out to this awesome group for the rest of that night.  It was year after they dropped the incredible The Fundamental Elements of Southtown, and not only did it eventually become the album of my pre-teen years, but one of my favorite albums of all time. Every track on this record is golden hard rock fury with a beautiful blend of hip/hop and reggae influences. It is one head-banging record.

P.O.D. was one of the very first nu-metal bands that tore up the underground scene in the early 90s. Snuff The Punk and Brown were awesome hardcore punk and rap records to just bang your head to, but when they were crafting Southtown, something clicked in their minds of writing substantial songs, and thus creating a monster of a record. Lyrically, it’s a spiritual record, but it’s less of a God loving album like their previous two releases were, and more talking about their experiences and outlook on life. The band came from a rough upbringing in the ghetto areas of San Diego, CA, as described in their most famous track on this album, “Southtown.” This record deals with those hardships, and how they got through with faith.

This is record is just effin'  :metal

The Fundamental Elements of Southtown has some brutal riffage, including “Southtown”, “Lie Down”, and “Outkast.” Each member offers their own intensity, and very present. If Carlos Santana were ever a heavy metal guitarist, I would certainly imagine he would sound a lot like Marcos Curiel. Just because P.O.D. are labeled a nu-metal band does not mean they detuned their guitars to death. Marcos has great respect for his instrument, and really is a technically gifted guitarist. His guitar playing really sets the atmosphere of the record, devising different sounds to create an ambiance. With his heavy riffs is complimented with his uncanny latin licks. The rhythm section of bassist Traa Daniels and drummer Wuv Bernardo brings such depth to the music. “Tribal” and “Freestyle” are greats examples of their musicianship, jiving on the soft passages to seamlessly up-ing the tempo a big monster hard rock sound. The music is very much complimented by Sonny Sandoval’s vocals. He effortlessly varies his vocal style from rapping, to singing, to screaming. He brings the thunder to that intensity, devouring every word with such passion and emotion. Listen to “Southtown”, when he screams “Life doesn’t gots to be like this!” The emotion from those lines are just powerful. You can really tell his experiences living in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in America really affected him.

I really do have to mention their cover of U2’s “Bullet The Blue Sky.” I really respect artists who covers songs but make it their own ala Led Zeppelin, Jeff Buckley. P.O.D. took one of U2’s greatest songs and made a gorgeous and intense cover. Aside from the obvious heavy guitar playing, you get some interesting eerie sound effects, and an incredible vocal performance from Sonny. There’s this awesome section where after the chorus into the next verse you hear a bit of breathing that then explodes into a scream from Sonny. Little things like that make all the difference to me. It’s just one hell of a cover. Fun fact: this song contains back-up vocals from a 16 yr old Katy Perry, who would come back to sing backup vocals to “Goodbye For Now” on P.O.D.’s sixth album, Testify.

Today, P.O.D. just isn’t the same band. I haven't really enjoyed a P.O.D. album since 2005's Testify. Everything I accoladed about them on this record is now gone. I wish they went back to their hardcore punk roots, because that really made the difference between them and other bands that came out with that rap/rock sound back then. It was their unpredictable nature in their music like in The Fundamental Elements of Southtown that really drew me in to them. The Fundamental Elements of Southtown is a masterful exponent of blending hard rock and rap together, and creating something special and meaningful.

Favorite Tracks: Southtown, Bullet The Blue Sky, Lie Down, Freestyle, Outkast
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:50:10 AM by Accelerando »

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #151 on: October 08, 2014, 01:15:12 AM »
To each their own. Dangerous is a great album. It may not have those hits that Thriller and Bad had aside from "Black and White", but the music is just as good, or even better. I really love that gritty sound he brought on that record.

You know, having hits or no doesn't have nothing to do with why i prefer these albums over Dangerous  :yeahright

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #152 on: October 08, 2014, 01:35:08 AM »

You know, having hits or no doesn't have nothing to do with why i prefer these albums over Dangerous  :yeahright

Sorry! I didn't mean to insist that you preferred the previous works over Dangerous because they had bigger hits. It was just a statement about Dangeorus, and probably a fact that those previous three records did indeed have more hits.

Offline Accelerando

Re: Accelerando's Top 50 Albums v. TOP TEN: #3 "Here in the Southtown..."
« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2014, 01:43:58 AM »
The Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd

Ah, Pink Floyd. The entire world knows of them, even those who actually haven’t heard any of their music. However, As ridiculous as it sounds especially in a prog forum where people just swear by this band, I am willing to bet Pink Floyd are associated with an image. I’m talking about maybe a big handful of people. That image that comes to mind when the name Pink Floyd is brought up is no other than a triangle in a background of black and a ray of white light running across that triangle only to transcend into a colorful rainbow. You all know what I’m talking about, and whatever I will say about this album probably has already been said millions of times.

If we look at the history of Pink Floyd, this album took the world by surprise. Everyone knows the story. After the release of their groundbreaking 1967 debut, The Piper At The Gates Dawn, the band went through a lot of personal turmoil and all of it the hand of its leader, Syd Barrett, who began to grow mentally unstable at the start of Pink Floyd’s career. After his departure, the band slowly stepped away from the Psychedelic sound that Syd created record after record with more avant garde experimentations such as Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother. The Dark Side of the Moon was more accessible yet unexpected.

I suppose this is the reason why The Dark Side Of The Moon became so popular, the music is not as complex as in their previous efforts but it accomplishes so much more. The instrumentation in Dark Side Of The Moon are otherworldly.  Whether it's the fiery rock sound in the guitar solo of "Money", or the more restrained, soothing atmosphere found in "Us And Them". The music that embodies this album are arrangements of sounds that go far beyond something to simply listen to, it's music that takes you on a journey throughout the imagination realms of your mind.

Each song is like a look into the human psychology- the greed caused by personal gain, to the fear of what is uncertain like the future, and of course, our inevitable death. There is a strong philosophical presence within the lyrical content of this album, and it's most evident in the album's finale, "Eclipse", which in all of it's existential nature, reminds us how insignificant we truly are. Perhaps the greatest vocal delivery of the album is one that doesn't have a message or lyrics at all, just simply the sound of a human voice. Clare Torry's vocals in "The Great Gig In The Sky", is both haunting and outstanding at the same time. Instead of singing, she turns her voice into an instrument, while performing a solo with enough passion and soul to rival any guitar arrangements ever performed by David Gilmour. That song just so happens to be my all time favorite song.

The Dark Side of the Moon is a classic and it will remain as such, forever to be enjoyed by generations to come. It's Pink Floyd's gift to the world. Now as to whether this is Pink Floyd's greatest work, well, that's all a matter of opinion. It is without a doubt among their finest.

Favorite Tracks: The Great Gig In The Sky, Us and Them, Brain Damage/Eclipse, Time, Money

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2014, 04:06:16 AM »
Sorry! I didn't mean to insist that you preferred the previous works over Dangerous because they had bigger hits. It was just a statement about Dangeorus, and probably a fact that those previous three records did indeed have more hits.

"No problemo" ;)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I think DSOTM is the only "classic" album totally deserves all the hype and praise it receives. There's nothing that sound like it.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I think DSOTM is the only "classic" album totally deserves all the hype and praise it receives. There's nothing that sound like it.

This really depends on what you put under the "classic" category, and anyway I think "the only" is too far fetched.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Some comments on the whole list:

I don’t listen to Faith No More much anymore, but they were one of the first rock bands I really embraced. Angel Dust was pretty out there. The pair of Smaller and Smaller and Everything’s Ruined in the middle of the album is its strongest moment.

Pearl Jam’s Black is one of the best rock songs ever written.  I’m kind of ambivalent to the rest of the album these days, but that song is immensely dear to me.

Always nice to see love for A Rush of Blood to the Head. Probably still a Top 50 album for me, and probably one of the most important albums of my life in terms of shaping my taste overall.

Have you heard the instrumental version of Furious Angels? I wasn’t too big on his voice, so I went with that. I dunno if it would be an essential listen if you’re into his vocals, but I found it a brilliant album in and of itself. One and the Same is one of my favourite songs ever.

I bought Electric Ladyland just last weekend, and gave it a first listen, along with Axis (which I’ve listened to a few times). I thought they seemed quite varied in quality. The best songs are obviously stunning, but there’s a fair bit of lesser stuff on them. My first impression was that when he stretched out his songwriting style after Experienced, he manages to pull off a lot of different tones and styles, but the quality of the songs tends to suffer. Maybe I’ll feel differently after a few more listens though.

I loved My Own Prison when it came out. I don’t think I’d listen past the first four tracks now, but those are all great songs. Faceless Man is amazing too.

This was my Facebook status about a month ago, on the topic of Grace: “I put on this album tonight, and realised it became twenty years old two weeks ago. Jeff Buckley is possibly my most enduring artist these days - as in, of all the music I was into before uni, I'd say he's the one I still play the most often - and this despite him only having one (studio) album.
So here's to that.”

Dangerous might be my favourite MJ album these days. There are some incredible songs on there. The production is kind of bizarre. It sounds pretty dated these days, but there is a weird charm to it and the way it manages to be dark and quite accessible-sounding at the same time.

Offline Accelerando

Have you heard the instrumental version of Furious Angels? I wasn’t too big on his voice, so I went with that. I dunno if it would be an essential listen if you’re into his vocals, but I found it a brilliant album in and of itself. One and the Same is one of my favourite songs ever.

Yep! The version of Furious Angels that I own  has two discs, in which the second disc features 10 instrumental versions of the vocal songs from the first disc.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
You can never go wrong with picking Dark Side of the Moon

Offline Accelerando

Here we are folks! Finally at my number 1 album, which I think some of you already guessed  ;)

Drum roll please!

Blackbird
Alter Bridge

Never was there an album that had affected me personally and personified my tastes in music more than Alter Bridge’s sophomore effort, Blackbird. It is everything I want in rock music – electrifying, with soaring vocals and tailored solos, backed by a talented and thunderous rhythm section. There are many groups with those same characteristics, so why Alter Bridge, and specifically, Blackbird? I think it’s the point in time of my life in which this album came out, where I was in college and there were a lot of personal things that were going on in my life, and things I needed to overcome. Also, I think about listening to music with my family, and breaking into my uncles’ record collection to listen to Led Zeppelin, Queen, and The Who, and having that moment with him. I feel like Alter Bridge, and Blackbird, are essentials for me to share with my kids, and my grandkids. I truly feel that this band and this album will go down as one of the early greats of this century.

Alter Bridge left Wind-Up records after One Day Remainsto start fresh. Wind Up at that time was trying make a quick buck by releasing doomy outlook, minor key bands like Evanescence and Seether, while trying to make Alter Bridge duplicate the Creed sound instead of coming into their own. While I didn’t think One Day Remains beared any resemblance to the Creed sound musically, the production quality did. With Blackbird, under the Universal Republic label and produced under the hands of Michael “Elvis” Baskette, Alter Bridge’s sound became more raw rock and roll.

Now, here we have Alter Bridge operating as a two-guitar tour de force. Myles Kennedy is now fully integrated into the songwriting process, which in One Day Remains was mostly written by Mark Tremonti. For the first time in his career Tremonti has someone to play off of other than himself, and this fact as really caused a big degree of explosion of high-caliber songwriting. Tremonti, who is probably the only guitarist in mainstream rock who has an instantly recognizable songwriting and playing style, gets all the support he needs from Kennedy. He's free to kick around vibrato-laden, squealing guitar riffs and fills, while Kennedy compliments by playing stuff that is quite opposite of Tremonti’s metallic sound; he likes to play the blues. With his buesy sound, and often drenches the songs in effects and atmospherics, both him and Mark Tremonti had established themselves as one of the best duo guitarists in rock music. Both styles, so different, yet completely works.

That album launches a grenade at you with the first few tracks, commanding your attention. “Ties That Bind”  and “Come To Life” are ter-RIFF-ic songs with a metal edge,  prerequisite melodic choruses, and an abundant amount of guitar layering. “Ties That Band” has a Spanish edge to it, like “Cry of Achilles” on Fortress, or their instrumental b-side exclusive to Total Guitar Magazine, “Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad.” I really like the vocal intergration with Myles and Mark in the chorus to “Come To Life.”  With these two heavy numbers come a softer song in “Brand New Start.” It uses acoustic guitars for it’s main arpeggio hooks, while using lots of effects-laden background effects that for a moment reminded me of latter-day Alex Lifeson. This song contains Mark Tremonti’s best solo. It’s very blues inspired and chalk full of emotion.

Another highlight is “Coming Home”, one of Alter Bridge’s most progressive songs to date. The groove quickly gives way to very heavy snaking 6/8 metallic riffs. No solo, but there is a breakdown in the bridge that's very heavy and intricate. The song with the biggest metal balls goes to “White Knuckles”, with a complex yet beautiful chorus and a great shift in dynamics with the song writing. It is definitely the most aggressive song on Blackbird. In the middle of this record you’ll find the more commercially written tracks, like “Rise Today”, a fan favorite, and “Before Tomorrow Comes.” The softest song on the album is also one of the best. “Watch Over You” glistens in beautiful acoustic guitar work and even better vocal performance from the great Myles Kennedy and im going to put the best live version of this song riiiiight here, because you really have to feel this beautiful and powerful ballad.

Then, there is “Blackbird,” the great 8-minute epic title track. Folks, this is truly one of the best rock songs of the past 15 years. It’s tough to describe how amazing this song is; a song dedicated to a friend of the band who passed away, and they do it justice with Myles’ most impassioned vocal performance on the album, using the metaphor of a bird taking flight to represent death, with effective lyrical imagery: “Let the wind carry you home, blackbird fly away, may you never be broken again.” The song begins with a clean melody that builds to a emotional break into the chorus that Pink Floyd would be proud of. The bridge just builds into quite possibly, in my opinion, one of the great duel solos of all time. Myles’ pours all the sadness in his solo, as if he is crying, but using his gift as a guitar player to cry out those emotions. Mark provides the perfect climax, as if his guitar is telling Myles’ that it’s not the end of the world; that their friend is in a better place. In this powerful song, when combined with the lyrics, the solo truly sounds like a bird taking flight. After the intensity of the last chorus, with a hell of a wail from Myles, it fades out, and the song comes full circle by dropping back to the clean opening riff before fading out for the last time.

SO. DAMN. GOOD.

I have said in my Fortress write up that I think that record is Alter Bridge’s best to date. I still say that is true. Fortress doesn’t have the few fillers that Blackbird does like “Break Me Down.” That’s my minor quibble with Blackbird, especially when there are b-sides written from Blackbird that are just so much better than some of the songs on the album, like “New Way To Live” and “Damage Done.” However, Blackbird is still a great album, and one of the best of the modern era. With this album, Alter Bridge became Alter Bridge. It’s my favorite, without question.

Favorite tracks: Blackbird, Ties That Bind, Coming Home, Come To Life, White Knuckles
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:58:57 PM by Accelerando »

Offline Anguyen92

1973?  My goodness, people have been missing out on this glorious album for 41 years as oppose to 7?  Good gravy. 

I agree on the b-sides.  New Way to Live and Damage Done could have easily made their way to the main CD.  I don't know why it didn't.

My fave five differs a bit though.  Blackbird, Come to Life, Watch Over You, Brand New Start, and Wayward One (probably one of the best bridge sections that they have created and they have created a lot of damn good bridge sections) are my favorites.  Now I'm thinking maybe Buried Alive could be in it as well.

When I heard Blackbird (song), I stated earlier that "Open Your Eyes" was the first time I have heard an instrumental/solo section, this song was when I knew I really heard something really really "epic" in a solo and I thought that it was insane that these guys can pull something like that off (this was a time before I heard guys like Lifeson, JP, etc.).

Agree with the whole "this is the album I want to share with kids, grandkids, with." Heck, this is the album I want to share with whatever future spouse I may be with, even if she is not a fan of hard rock/metal (I trust AB and Blackbird that much that I think she may have a good lasting impression on it like I have (I'm a huge nerd like that)).  A glorious album, indeed. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:35:10 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
I love Blackbird.  Myles' solo is awesome on Blackbird, but his guitar has some weird tremolo effect on it that was so distracting last time I heard it, should revisit it.  The song, the solos, remind me a lot of To Live is To Die from AJFA.  James' plays the most emotional, mournful solo followed by Kirk's shreds.  Same kinda dynamic here.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Didn't see that number one coming.  :tup

Seriously, terrific album though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline mikeyd23

Great write-up and what a great album.  Certainly would be in my top 5 albums for sure.  Just a masterpiece.  :metal

Offline Accelerando

1973?  My goodness, people have been missing out on this glorious album for 41 years as oppose to 7?  Good gravy. 

I agree on the b-sides.  New Way to Live and Damage Done could have easily made their way to the main CD.  I don't know why it didn't.

:lol That's what I get for cutting and pasting. It's fix'd

Offline Accelerando

Hey folks, thank you for following my list! I hope you enjoyed it.

I've listed all my top albums on the first page and also added where each album can be found. Remember I added links to the songs of each album if you ever want to give them a listen!

This was a fun list to do. In the future, because I am a movie buff, I think I want to tackle my top movie scores and soundtracks!  :metal

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: Accelerando's Top 50 Albums v. COMPLETED
« Reply #167 on: October 10, 2014, 11:48:37 PM »
Can't go wrong with Dark Side at all. And maybe I should finally check out Alter Bridge soon. :lol

Nice list! :tup Even if I hadn't listened to the album, your write-ups were enjoyable to read.