Author Topic: A mega collection of bootlegs  (Read 26547 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: A mega collection of bootlegs
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 08:23:02 AM »
Sometimes I'll intentionally dig up an old thread when I'm bored.
Are you an asshole or something?  
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2016, 08:43:05 AM »
 :rollin

I actually KNEW that was coming!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2016, 10:18:23 AM »
Yeah, but we already know I am, dearie.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2016, 10:51:30 AM »
Well, yeah.  But you left yourself open, so there was no way I could pass it up.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2016, 11:26:38 AM »
Well, yeah.  But you left yourself open, so there was no way I could pass it up.  :lol

I'd be more surprised if someone didn't capitalize on that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2016, 11:50:57 AM »
Scientists have long observed the Bro in his natural habitat and have studied Bro behavior.  It has been well documented that natural Bro behavior is, when a guy leaves himself open, a Bro naturally has to take the shot.  It is instinct that is deeply embedded into the Bro species. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2016, 12:06:13 PM »
 :lol

I remember that study. It focused heavily on the congratulatory hetero ass slap.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2016, 11:10:50 AM »
Thanks for reminding me, I need to re-build my collection of bootlegs. Might start with this, lol.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2016, 10:22:55 AM »
After deleting a big part of my collection few years ago (I thought I'd never ever want to listen to it and I didn't have much space on my HDD) I want to download few of these. Whoever is seeding this: thank you :-*
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2016, 07:29:50 PM »
Oh wow...I think I'll get just the Albuquerque show. Surprised to see that on there.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2016, 12:37:57 PM »
After deleting a big part of my collection few years ago (I thought I'd never ever want to listen to it and I didn't have much space on my HDD) I want to download few of these. Whoever is seeding this: thank you :-*
Np ;)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2016, 04:03:29 PM »
Still seeding? I really want to get that ALBQ, show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2016, 10:04:04 AM »
Still seeding? I really want to get that ALBQ, show.
I'm still seeding. :) Enjoy!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2016, 12:26:49 PM »
I'll give you my seed

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2016, 01:45:20 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2016, 10:08:43 AM »
 :lol  :rollin  :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2016, 11:22:44 AM »
 ;)

Offline RedAkerston

« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2016, 03:20:38 PM »
Well, this is awesome... and great thanks for that 1997 boot.
I'm actually home for 2 days right now and have a chance to dig up some of my rarities.
I'll get on the torrent, and maybe i can get some shows to people.

I dunno what the current status is of Grateful Dreams stuff because they appear to be dead but aren't necessarily circulating... so i don't wanna poke that bear without having an understanding of the current atmosphere.

I do have some others though in lossless. Just need to rip em and get em on mega.
12/6/1996
2/19/1995
2/6/2004
2/19/2000
7/11/2002
11/18/1994
12/9/1994

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2016, 06:33:37 PM »
Grateful Dreams isn't dead, and it's not a bear, it's a wookie.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2016, 09:28:04 PM »
I remember Wasteland(Or possibly Weymolith) mentioning something about an upcoming GDT bootleg about a year ago, so I wouldn't say it's dead, just a little behind schedule(Or maybe it's just that the site hasn't been updated in ages).
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline Grizz

« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2016, 02:23:40 PM »
Weymo ignored myrequest to join GDT that I sent when I turned 18.
Is it dead or do y'all hate me?
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline de_fromage

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2016, 03:27:21 PM »
Hey guys.
A word of advice on this collection:

- Run the checksum files (md5/ffp) to verify the files' integrity.
- Check for possible lossy-sourced files (just download Trader's Little Helper).

Got to download all the files a while back and some of them failed the md5-ffp but they were lossless sourced
Ringo is one of my top 5 Beatles.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2016, 06:51:33 PM »

It's not dead, and I don't think he hates you.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2016, 07:10:15 PM »
Maybe life caught up with Wey, and he fell behind on GDT stuff?

Got to download all the files a while back and some of them failed the md5-ffp but they were lossless sourced
I think a couple of them(Such as Afterlife: Early Fantasy, allegedly) are lossy, but I don't think you can really use the FFP/MD5 hash failures as a serious metric for lossiness; IIRC, the ones that fail usually are looking for SHN files, when the actual files are FLAC(Or the other way around), or the files have been renamed, so the hash check can't find the files.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"

Offline de_fromage

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2016, 11:06:39 AM »
Maybe life caught up with Wey, and he fell behind on GDT stuff?

I think a couple of them(Such as Afterlife: Early Fantasy, allegedly) are lossy, but I don't think you can really use the FFP/MD5 hash failures as a serious metric for lossiness; IIRC, the ones that fail usually are looking for SHN files, when the actual files are FLAC(Or the other way around), or the files have been renamed, so the hash check can't find the files.

Yeah, that's what I tried to say, they fail the FFP/MD5 but they seem to be lossless, and specially with that torrent many and I mean MANY files have been renamed but still work.

I'm currently sharing some of those files in the Hub if anyone's interested
Ringo is one of my top 5 Beatles.

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2016, 11:26:25 AM »

GDT is very much alive. The site just hasn't been updated.

Send it again. You may have fallen in to my spam folder.

As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2016, 11:35:39 AM »
I am still an amateur when it comes to Torrents.        I am lucky to be able to download stuff at work with a nice speedy connection.  However, can someone tell me what "seeding" means?   Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

• No Day But Today
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2016, 11:57:45 AM »
I just downloaded one of these bootlegs.   My question is why would someone make FLAC lossless files from a recording that sounds like it was recorded with a handheld cassette player?     

To me, it's like taking a 50's doo wop song and making it a 320 kbs Mp3.    There's no point.  It's just wasted file space.    Am I wrong on this?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2016, 12:48:03 PM »
I just downloaded one of these bootlegs.   My question is why would someone make FLAC lossless files from a recording that sounds like it was recorded with a handheld cassette player?     

To me, it's like taking a 50's doo wop song and making it a 320 kbs Mp3.    There's no point.  It's just wasted file space.    Am I wrong on this?

Yes. The reason is to preserve the originally recorded quality. Even if the quality is poor, lossless is just that -- lossless. You're hearing the very best of that particular recording. For tapers, traders, and collectors, that's extremely important.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2016, 12:49:27 PM »
However, can someone tell me what "seeding" means?   Thanks
Seeding means keeping the torrent software up and running so that other people can also download the same thing from you and whoever else is connected/online at the time. In other words, just as someone was willing to share, you should stay connected to make sure to share with others.

Short answer: to insure you have the best sounding copy as possible, even if the recording is not the greatest.

Long answer: not sure how old you are, or if you are familiar with bootleg trading back in the day, but a lot of focus was put on trying to get the lowest generation ("gen") copy of a bootleg. The higher the generation, the worse sounding the recording sounded since copying from cassette to cassette to cassette to cassette, etc. introduced more hiss and other imperfections. Entering into the digital age with CDs got rid of that problem. But then the introduction of the MP3 and other lossy formats brought it back again.

Basically, the fear is that someone will take an MP3, burn it to CD, then later RIP it to a compressed, lossy MP3 and trade it that way. Doing this over and over will produce a worse sounding recording each time the file is re-converted to MP3. So by insisting on keeping things lossless (in other words, that no information is lost, an exact copy), no digital gens are introduced. Altho an extreme example (re-ripped/compressed 666 times), this might help you appreciate why many bootleg collectors want the files in a lossless format like FLAC:
https://www.coryarcangel.com/downloads/Cory-Arcangel-666.mp3

Some people may argue that no one burns stuff to CD any more, so this should be a non-issue. Point taken. But storage abilities of computers and other devices has increased exponentially, besides the bandwidth available for downloading, which argues in favor of the lossless format (since these are no longer limitations like they were in the past).

Personally, I want the files in lossless format whenever possible, for trading purposes. But when I want to listen to the recordings on my iPod or iTunes, I'll convert them to AAC or MP3 format. But I'd never trade them in those formats.

Another reason to trade in lossless formats only is for when people want to tweak the recording to improve the sound - the more information there is (even if we can't hear it at the present), the more possibility a person has to make adjustments to the recording to improve the sound. It's one of the reasons why many tapers today will record shows in 96KHz/24bit or 192KHz/24bit even tho CD quality is only 44.1KHz/16bit - so there's more to work with. It's the same as if you wanted to make adjustments to a photo - a camera RAW file will give you far more information so that you can make much better changes/adjustments than even a .jpg file with minimal compression.

For a more thorough answer, check out this link:
https://www.howtogeek.com/142174/what-lossless-file-formats-are-why-you-shouldnt-convert-lossy-to-lossless/
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2016, 12:50:16 PM »
Scott! Hope you've been well mi amigo!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

• No Day But Today
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2016, 01:22:32 PM »
Scotty:     I am 42 and definitely used to trade cassettes back in the day, so I do understand your explanation.

I have a rather large mp3 collection  (at least by my standards).  My iPod (yes I still use an iPod)  has stuff from the 1920's to 2016.    For example, I have every song recorded by Bessie Smith in the 1920's and 30's.  I am not going to keep them at 320kbs.  That makes no sense to me. But that's just me.

I do understand what the compression process does.   I used to trade Mp3s in the mid 90's when they were mp2's!  . . . . .MIRC . . .memories . . .    I had a 14.4 modem and used to rip them from a CD, then edit out the chorus repeat or guitar solo, so they wouldn't take 3 hours to transfer  :-)

Thanks for the links. I will read them thoroughly  :-)

• No Day But Today
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2016, 01:24:15 PM »
Scotty:    " . . . . .Seeding means keeping the torrent software up and running so that other people can also download the same thing from you and whoever else is connected/online at the time. In other words, just as someone was willing to share, you should stay connected to make sure to share with others. . . . . . "

So, basically, when I am finished downloading something and it turns green, I should leave it connected and not remove the torrent so others can download from that quicker.      Anyone have a link to something that describes the torrent process at length?

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2016, 03:25:08 AM »
One additional thing about MP3 -- it's actually a pretty bad format for storage. I suggest switching to OGG or AAC as soon as possible; an OGG encoded at 192kbps sounds better than an MP3 at 320kbps. This is because OGG uses better algorithms for compressing the data, so it reduces the size more while keeping more data. Also, MP3s add a short amount of silence to the beginning of each track, ruining transitions like in Scenes From A Memory, or most Queen albums. I personally don't use AAC, so I'm not sure exactly how they stand up, but even if they aren't as good as OGG, they're sure as hell better than MP3.

As for torrenting...

The way torrents work is that instead of having the files available to download from one place online, you have people running their torrenting program, who send copies of the files from their hard drive to you. Once you've finished downloading, it's generally assumed that you'll keep the torrent in your torrenting program, so anyone else who wants to download can download from you(This is known as "Seeding"). Even if everyone who's downloaded the torrent(The "Seeders") has a slow connection, multiple slow connections all sending the files to one person will essentially function as if it was one person with a very fast connection.
Naturally, the programs run checks every step of the way to ensure the data is correct(Meaning you won't be sent viruses, corrupted files, etc.), making it a very good, and rather stable system. Of course, the only problem is when no one with the torrent downloaded is connected anymore. Then you have a dead(Or unseeded) torrent. Sometimes, dead torrents can come back, but not always. That's why seeding is important.

• No Day But Today
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2016, 08:07:35 AM »
Robo:  Thanks for the info regarding OGG vs. Mp3.      For me to re-compile my entire musical collection in OGG would take years.  I will try to put my new stuff in that format.

Thanks also for the info about Torrenting.   I only do it at work since I don't even have a computer at my house.  Therefore, it's not wise for me to stay on and seed, but when I finally get fully back on my feet and have a proper setup at my house I will be planting seeds  :-)