Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479270 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #7140 on: September 21, 2020, 11:52:15 AM »
So I was thinking about GamePass, and my thoughts: $9.99 a month to play pretty much any game on demand sounds reasonable to me personally; I'm actually gonna sign up tonight and play some stuff I never got to check out before. I love this because the more I've thought about it, the more it's like renting games again, except it's like Netflix for games.  I used to check out new games all the time by renting them, or piracy if the store simply didn't rent them (handheld games, almost exclusively). But this makes so much sense as I keep thinking about it. And with that, I'll be in Microsoft territory, Nintendo territory, and Sony territory (because eventually I'll get the PS5) and especially with Microsoft I'll be able to check out new games and more games more often.

And the best part is they're all doing different things. This is honestly the best possible scenario for the big three as far as I can see it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7141 on: September 21, 2020, 12:10:00 PM »
So I was thinking about GamePass, and my thoughts: $9.99 a month to play pretty much any game on demand sounds reasonable to me personally; I'm actually gonna sign up tonight and play some stuff I never got to check out before. I love this because the more I've thought about it, the more it's like renting games again, except it's like Netflix for games.  I used to check out new games all the time by renting them, or piracy if the store simply didn't rent them (handheld games, almost exclusively). But this makes so much sense as I keep thinking about it. And with that, I'll be in Microsoft territory, Nintendo territory, and Sony territory (because eventually I'll get the PS5) and especially with Microsoft I'll be able to check out new games and more games more often.

And the best part is they're all doing different things. This is honestly the best possible scenario for the big three as far as I can see it.

It's really not a bad price for the content, but I just don't play enough different games.  I think I checked out two games on gamepass and put like 4 hours combined into them in the last two months.  But I personally HATE subscription services so I generally leave to owning a game than paying for a service.  I'm like the only one I know who doesn't have netflix for example  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7142 on: September 21, 2020, 12:14:13 PM »
GamePass makes sense financially for me 'cause if I like a game enough I'll go out and buy it, but otherwise I'm just paying $10 a month and can trial out a bunch of games, most of which I never got to play before because I didn't want to invest all that money just to play them. I'm stoked to check this out tonight. It also helps that Sony and Nintendo don't have it, so it makes it much easier to commit to the one service; one of the reasons I don't watch much TV is because nowadays I need several sub services to check certain shows out, so I (annoyingly) go through un-subscribing once a new season of a certain show is done (like HBO and Westworld) in order to pay for another service. And I share Netflix with a friend, who in turn shares my Disney+, so that is nice  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7143 on: September 21, 2020, 01:25:56 PM »
As for why it's $7.5 Billion, I'm seeing headlines with Bethesda (more well known) but they're really buying Zenimax Media. From Wikipedia

id Software (developer of the Doom, Quake and Rage series)

Arkane Studios (developer of Dishonored and Prey)

MachineGames (developer of the Wolfenstein series)

Tango Gameworks (developer of The Evil Within)

Publisher Bethesda Softworks with its Bethesda Game Studios (developer of The Elder Scrolls and Fallout series) and ZeniMax Online Studios (developer of The Elder Scrolls Online).

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7144 on: September 21, 2020, 02:11:35 PM »
That's quite a slew of games MS just acquired. It's a shame I don't have time for much gaming, as now I have the resources to fully max out either with a console or PC but I'm strapped for time. The games these days look phenomenal.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7145 on: September 21, 2020, 02:26:52 PM »
I fear a monumental exclusive deal on games for Xbox.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7146 on: September 21, 2020, 03:06:17 PM »
Now that they own both Obsidian and Bethesda, they need to put Obsidian on Fallout again.

As for why it's $7.5 Billion, I'm seeing headlines with Bethesda (more well known) but they're really buying Zenimax Media. From Wikipedia

id Software (developer of the Doom, Quake and Rage series)

Arkane Studios (developer of Dishonored and Prey)

MachineGames (developer of the Wolfenstein series)

Tango Gameworks (developer of The Evil Within)

Publisher Bethesda Softworks with its Bethesda Game Studios (developer of The Elder Scrolls and Fallout series) and ZeniMax Online Studios (developer of The Elder Scrolls Online).

Oh, I was well aware. But 7.5 billion is still a whole lot of money. As much as I love most of those games (especially Dishonored), a lot those ip's did not do that well in sales. Doom, Fallout and Elder Scrolls are probably the only 10+ million sellers this gen, and that is while being on every platform. I do however think some of these games were poorly marketed.

But I get it, gamepass needs it's own content if it is to stay. Especially since other companies will make their own services (see Netflix and all other services popping up).

Take Red Dead 2. The game was added in may this year. Four months later and poof, it gets deleted. Actually pissed off one of my friends quite a bit. I am at a point where I don't play long AAA games from third parties on gamepass because I have been burned with similar removals, not able to finish them with that two week removal deadline gamepass has. That is why MS does need a library that is there to stay.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7147 on: September 21, 2020, 03:33:47 PM »
If Microsoft makes those games exclusive, I'd say that's a big win for the next xbox because as of right now, good exclusive games are why PS is winning over Xbox.  Is it worth the investment?  :huh: :huh:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #7148 on: September 21, 2020, 03:57:36 PM »
Sony is gonna blow the gaming world away when the PS5 hits the stores.  Last week when I registered for the pre-order event, I logged in with my PSN account and was put into a queue for 40 minutes before I could place my order.  Sony's greatest exclusive of all time is God of War.  The sequel is supposed to be coming out in 2021.  I'll bet the numbers will be staggering for those who buy a PS5 just to play that game.  :hat
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7149 on: September 21, 2020, 04:21:06 PM »
Sony is gonna blow the gaming world away when the PS5 hits the stores.  Last week when I registered for the pre-order event, I logged in with my PSN account and was put into a queue for 40 minutes before I could place my order.  Sony's greatest exclusive of all time is God of War.  The sequel is supposed to be coming out in 2021.  I'll bet the numbers will be staggering for those who buy a PS5 just to play that game.  :hat

Sony is doing really well. The Last of Us, Uncharted, Spider-Man, Horizon and God of War are really big. All 10+ million sellers on a platform with lots of competition of other AAA games. GT sport is right behind that and Ghost of Tsuchima did/is doing really well. Days Gone is not far from it either at this point. And I am sure Sony will add new big franchises on the pile.

PS5 is a no-brainer for me because of Demons Souls, Ratchet, Spidey, Horizon and God of War. All likely to be there within now and the end of next year. I also half expect GT7 to be honest.

Because ultimately what matters to me is if the experiences are worth my time, not what the best deal will be.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #7150 on: September 21, 2020, 04:29:38 PM »

Sony is doing really well. The Last of Us, Uncharted, Spider-Man, Horizon and God of War are really big. All 10+ million sellers on a platform with lots of competition of other AAA games. GT sport is right behind that and Ghost of Tsuchima did/is doing really well. Days Gone is not far from it either at this point. And I am sure Sony will add new big franchises on the pile.

PS5 is a no-brainer for me because of Demons Souls, Ratchet, Spidey, Horizon and God of War. All likely to be there within now and the end of next year. I also half expect GT7 to be honest.

Because ultimately what matters to me is if the experiences are worth my time, not what the best deal will be.

Demon's Souls was available during the pre-order, so I snagged that one.  Yeah, your last sentence pretty much says it all for me too.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7151 on: September 21, 2020, 05:25:31 PM »
Just signed up for GamePass and am already installing games. Holy freaking crap. $1 for the first month. Now I can finally play: Microsoft Flight Simulator, ARK: Survival Evolved, almost all the Halos I think, Dragon Quest 11, Dead Cells, Shadow of War, both Ori games, and tons of others I've wanted to play for years for a few dollars a month. There are games on here I had no idea were available that I've wanted for a long time (see Shadow of War). Blessed Microsoft, this is like early Christmas for me. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

I never played Halo after 2 so I'm really looking forward to playing these. Now I am always worried about PC games glitching out when trying to run them but hopefully they're good. Halo night tonight!!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 05:31:42 PM by The Walrus »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #7152 on: September 21, 2020, 06:32:43 PM »
If Microsoft makes those games exclusive, I'd say that's a big win for the next xbox because as of right now, good exclusive games are why PS is winning over Xbox.  Is it worth the investment?  :huh: :huh:

This is why I haven't owned an Xbox since the original Xbox and I've owned a PS2, PS3, and currently own a PS4.

Xbox Gamepass for PC: I signed up for it. It's only $1 for the first month and then it's $5 I believe...but that will eventually go up to $10. I've barely played anything because every game I downloaded had a big problem with the Steam Controller. I don't know why there's so much fuckery with these Windows games. I'll never buy a game from the Microsoft Store. Whatever they have will eventually go to Steam or wherever else. I'll probably cancel Xbox Gamepass before the first month is over.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7153 on: September 22, 2020, 12:00:52 AM »
I'm with ErHaO, I can't see GamePass or PSNow (or PSPlus) moving to a situation where they have new AAA titles on them. I could see it following TV & film streaming services, where the big budget releases in particular come out in the cinema first and then arrive on subscription services (TV and/or streaming) 6-12 months later, and then they mostly don't stay on permanently.

But I have to say, having these subscription services for older/smaller games we might have missed is a cool development.

Also completely unrelated but I finished Final Fantasy VII Remake last night. I like it, but the final chapter was really weird. I was loving it up to that point, but the shift in focus and new concepts were too rushed IMO. At this point in the original game, they hadn't revealed much more yet as from memory that happens when they get to Kalm, but Cloud wanting to go after Sephiroth and the others supporting him felt reasonably natural, whereas in the Remake there are these huge stakes that seem to have come out of nowhere unless you played the original game and know what happens. Which I did, but I still think it makes this narratively weak - a Remake should be able to stand on its own.

Now that they've given themselves greater licence to change the story going forward, there is also an understandable worry that they'll just do something completely different where it was the post-Midgar story in the original that was so special. So I really hope they keep the narrative largely in tact, and I suppose there's also an opportunity to take out some of the fluff and make it more coherent. So the weak final chapter in Remake is definitely recoverable if they do it right. Just a shame to have ended up a bit of a bum note.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #7154 on: September 22, 2020, 02:32:00 AM »
I have been really pleased with my Xbox One S for a few years now! Only one game crash in that whole time, and it has worked like a champ.

I was pondering if I would continue on Xbox, since PS5 is looking really attractive and I simply don't have money to buy two next gen consoles. This Bethesda acquisition has solidified my feeling on buying an Xbox console! I'm already really looking forward to Avowed by Obsidian, and despite some recent blunders, Bethesda is still one of the top gaming studios in the world!

All this with Gamepass which I have yet to try, makes Xbox look like the better deal for me. I will probably splurge for an X, since I still want a blu ray player and there are some games I still want to own physical!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7155 on: September 22, 2020, 05:38:19 AM »
Mordhau received a pretty good update today (#19) and the game is 50% on Steam. The 3v3 ranked mode looks pretty sweet as well, as does the new battle arenas they've built for them.

This might be my favorite update yet. The 3v3 in the new arenas is really fun, and they've added dwarf and "tank" (really big dudes) options to every class. It's absolutely hilarious. The devs have also done some kind of witchcraft and the game runs smoother than ever, like really really fluid, and they've gotten rid of all the animations exploit people could do to hide and fake weapon swings.

Here's the trailer for the new update:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qVLuBVix4E
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 06:16:25 AM by Chino »

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #7156 on: September 22, 2020, 06:57:16 AM »

This is why I haven't owned an Xbox since the original Xbox and I've owned a PS2, PS3, and currently own a PS4.

Xbox Gamepass for PC: I signed up for it. It's only $1 for the first month and then it's $5 I believe...but that will eventually go up to $10. I've barely played anything because every game I downloaded had a big problem with the Steam Controller. I don't know why there's so much fuckery with these Windows games. I'll never buy a game from the Microsoft Store. Whatever they have will eventually go to Steam or wherever else. I'll probably cancel Xbox Gamepass before the first month is over.

Because it's Microsoft Windows.  An unstable operating system.  Always has been.  They sure keep the I.T. folks and the geek squad busy though.  :lol

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #7157 on: September 22, 2020, 07:49:23 AM »
Also completely unrelated but I finished Final Fantasy VII Remake last night. I like it, but the final chapter was really weird. I was loving it up to that point, but the shift in focus and new concepts were too rushed IMO. At this point in the original game, they hadn't revealed much more yet as from memory that happens when they get to Kalm, but Cloud wanting to go after Sephiroth and the others supporting him felt reasonably natural, whereas in the Remake there are these huge stakes that seem to have come out of nowhere unless you played the original game and know what happens. Which I did, but I still think it makes this narratively weak - a Remake should be able to stand on its own.

Now that they've given themselves greater licence to change the story going forward, there is also an understandable worry that they'll just do something completely different where it was the post-Midgar story in the original that was so special. So I really hope they keep the narrative largely in tact, and I suppose there's also an opportunity to take out some of the fluff and make it more coherent. So the weak final chapter in Remake is definitely recoverable if they do it right. Just a shame to have ended up a bit of a bum note.
I agree with this. I thought it was a fantastic remake and the way they expanded scenes was amazing and I was totally onboard for all of it...except when they added completely new, unrelated stuff.
To be clear - I'm not at all against adding new stuff. Not at all - we DO have the original after all and I don't want the same game again. I just feel like they...didn't have the best ideas. The rest is spoilerish:

I was totally onboard with expanding scenes that needed expanding, but the whispers feels like such a weird, meta addition. It feels like the developers acknowledged the players expectations and tried to play around with it but...it just feels weird and out of place in this game and this world.

However, you can be 100% sure they're not gonna follow the original game anymore - the whole point of that plot point with the whispers of fate and the ending is breaking away from fate - the original game's plot. Now that they've broken free, the characters are free to make different choices than in the original game.
Which...I'm not too crazy about, but I'm gonna give the next one a chance.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #7158 on: September 22, 2020, 07:50:50 AM »
Regarding the Bethesda buyout - I hate it. I'm a Sony fanboy and never was interested in the Xboxes and now I'm gonna miss out on several of their games because of this. I just hope at least the next Elder Scrolls makes it to PS5.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7159 on: September 22, 2020, 08:40:43 AM »
My two best buds are ordering XSXs and I can't wait. For the first time in almost 20 years we'll be able to play Halo together - this time from our homes, and across different platforms. Things like this are what I love about modern gaming.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #7160 on: September 22, 2020, 08:53:07 AM »
Because it's Microsoft Windows.  An unstable operating system.  Always has been.  They sure keep the I.T. folks and the geek squad busy though.  :lol

I meant games bought from Microsoft Store.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7161 on: September 22, 2020, 09:16:43 AM »
Regarding the Bethesda buyout - I hate it. I'm a Sony fanboy and never was interested in the Xboxes and now I'm gonna miss out on several of their games because of this. I just hope at least the next Elder Scrolls makes it to PS5.

Subscribe to Xcloud when they release and stream them. You do not need an Xbox to have acces to gamepass. At least that is the plan, Xcloud is in beta.

You can try it out right now on Android:
https://www.theverge.com/21377313/microsoft-xcloud-install-download-android-game-pass-ultimate-gamepad-xbox

I used PSnow and that worked pretty great over here, I assume Xcloud is even better.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7162 on: September 22, 2020, 10:17:29 AM »

I agree with this. I thought it was a fantastic remake and the way they expanded scenes was amazing and I was totally onboard for all of it...except when they added completely new, unrelated stuff.
To be clear - I'm not at all against adding new stuff. Not at all - we DO have the original after all and I don't want the same game again. I just feel like they...didn't have the best ideas. The rest is spoilerish:

I was totally onboard with expanding scenes that needed expanding, but the whispers feels like such a weird, meta addition. It feels like the developers acknowledged the players expectations and tried to play around with it but...it just feels weird and out of place in this game and this world.

However, you can be 100% sure they're not gonna follow the original game anymore - the whole point of that plot point with the whispers of fate and the ending is breaking away from fate - the original game's plot. Now that they've broken free, the characters are free to make different choices than in the original game.
Which...I'm not too crazy about, but I'm gonna give the next one a chance.

Spoilerish reply:

Yeah I think I'm in pretty much the same boat. The story of the original is amazing, but it was told in a fairly convoluted way, so it's definitely possible they want to still hit all the right beats and main points but do it in a different way which would have the potential to work amazingly. Or they could use it as an excuse to do a complete reboot and do something different, which... might be fine of course, I've enjoyed all the subsequent FFs but I'd definitely be a lot less excited about it, and it wouldn't be a remake at all. Especially if they go off track and make it more about changing time/destiny instead of about stopping Sephiroth. So I'm definitely giving it a chance and I'm hopeful that they'll get it right given how amazing the first 90% or so of Remake is, but I'm a little cautious and less excited about it now, until I see where it goes next.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #7163 on: September 22, 2020, 11:06:54 AM »
Has anybody else got their eye on the new Crash game coming?. I have been a fan for years and I am so excited there is going to be a new one for PS4 and they didn't make it for PS5. The graphics look really cool!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7164 on: September 22, 2020, 02:33:48 PM »
Going to hopefully stop by my local mom & pop game store tonight and grab an Xbone controller. I really really like the feel of the analog sticks on those.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7165 on: September 22, 2020, 03:31:41 PM »
Whoever can figure out how to (easily, without reprogramming) facilitate using an xBox controller on the PS, they'll make a mint.  I'm trying to finish Injustice on PS3, and I've burned through FOUR controllers.  I SOOOOOO want to be able to use my xBox controller to play this game. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7166 on: September 22, 2020, 05:22:09 PM »
Whoever can figure out how to (easily, without reprogramming) facilitate using an xBox controller on the PS, they'll make a mint.  I'm trying to finish Injustice on PS3, and I've burned through FOUR controllers.  I SOOOOOO want to be able to use my xBox controller to play this game.

You angrily smashing your controllers, dude?  :lol nah... I get it. I hate the PS3 controller.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7167 on: September 22, 2020, 08:09:26 PM »

I feel you, the DualShock 4 is a huge improvement over the DS3, and plugging in my old PS3 last weekend put that back into perspective  :\

I can't vouch for this personally but I know PowerA is a reputable brand, and @$15 may be worth a shot. Then again, if you've got a death grip playing fighters, this may disintegrate just as fast :lol

Amazon link

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #7168 on: September 22, 2020, 08:48:29 PM »
The only thing I dislike about the DS4 are the tiny share and options buttons.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7169 on: September 23, 2020, 05:57:23 AM »
The only thing I dislike about the DS4 are the tiny share and options buttons.

Yeah, that was similar to my only complaint with that controller well (still my favorite though). That giant touch button was completely useless. Any game that used it only did so as a novelty. I wish there was just 4-6 more hot buttons up there that could have been used for shortcuts and stuff. Give me a button that I could map straight to Netflix or Youtube, another that I could use as a mute button for my mic, or something along those lines.

I think a little screen there that could bluetooth to my phone would be cool. Let me see who's texting or calling me without having to look at my phone. 

I can't tell with the dualsense. Does it still have that same button, or is that part of the controller just blank?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7170 on: September 23, 2020, 06:51:55 AM »

You angrily smashing your controllers, dude?  :lol nah... I get it. I hate the PS3 controller.
Well, once.  ;)

I'm not a huge "fighting" game guy personally, but the DC Universe was enough to convince me.  And you know I'm a trophy whore; I went through and three-starred all 240 S.T.A.R. lab missions, and I have four remaining trophies for the Platinum:   The Battles, and three online ones that I'll figure out when I get there.    The battles are mostly easy (there are, I think 30 or so).  I have four left.   They are hard AF, and require a lot of spamming of certain moves.  So like last night, I'm playing the "Survivor" battle and I'm spamming < > (Green Triangle) over and over and after an hour or so it seemed to get "tired" and didn't register the move correctly.   (Anyone play softball?  You know how the newer bats sometimes need a little time in between hits?)

So I'm THISCLOSE, and any added time because of a CONTROLLER is enough to make me smash it in the driveway.  :) :) :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7171 on: September 23, 2020, 07:12:50 AM »
Oh, yeah. Fighting games... My hands would actually hurt back in the day after playing enough Soul Calibur, so I get that. I suck at fighting games though, except Smash Bros., so that only makes it worse.

Or maybe you're like me - have a couple beers or a smoke and you're "in the zone" for a while and do pretty good  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #7172 on: September 23, 2020, 08:51:14 AM »
I've been playing through The Wolf Among Us. Damn it's amazing so far, and quite visceral, it's really no kiddie stuff at all :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7173 on: September 23, 2020, 08:57:44 AM »
Here's a question:   can you remap controllers to accept macros?   Meaning, the move I need in Injustice is "< > triangle".  Can I reprogram the "triangle" to be all three keystrokes?  I know that's sort of cheating, and will pose a problem if the fight goes sideways (and I need the triangle for something else) but can it be done?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7174 on: September 23, 2020, 09:13:33 AM »
On PC, not sure about on console