Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 482837 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #6860 on: August 06, 2020, 04:44:36 PM »
Skyrim is different because the game is literally almost 8 years old and 2 console generations old
Actually Skyrim will be 9 years old in November. But your point still stands.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6861 on: August 06, 2020, 06:10:38 PM »
I'll be honest, apart from Mario Kart and Smash, which I play with friends consistently, the majority of my Switch play has been with indy titles. Stardew Valley, Dead Cells, Celeste, Children of Morta and Baba is You have all engaged me much more than most of the AAA switch titles.

Oh and Animal Crossing. Digital crack that it is.

On the subject of Switch indies, I picked up Carrion yesterday. Its a Metroidvania style game, but with the twist that you play as a monster similar to The Thing. It plays like a reverse horror game, where you are inflicting dread and horror on the human NPCs. Gory as hell, and rather good fun.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6862 on: August 07, 2020, 06:31:12 AM »
A negative of the PS5 is that the PS4 controller cannot be used for PS5 games (but does work for PS4 games on PS5). Kind of bullshit, they should let devs decide (most games would absolutely work with the Dualshock 4 if they wanted to). Xbox does this the best, the One controller straight up works with the next Xbox.

What is nice though is that the PSVR is supported on the PS5 and that I can use it to play Hitman 3 in VR. PSVR is old ass tech, but it works well enough for me and I paid relatively little for it.

I'll be honest, apart from Mario Kart and Smash, which I play with friends consistently, the majority of my Switch play has been with indy titles. Stardew Valley, Dead Cells, Celeste, Children of Morta and Baba is You have all engaged me much more than most of the AAA switch titles.

Oh and Animal Crossing. Digital crack that it is.

On the subject of Switch indies, I picked up Carrion yesterday. Its a Metroidvania style game, but with the twist that you play as a monster similar to The Thing. It plays like a reverse horror game, where you are inflicting dread and horror on the human NPCs. Gory as hell, and rather good fun.

Indies this generation have been amazing, as well as smaller (less than AA) games by publishers. A lot of times they are upping the major publishers even in terms of scope and content. My favourites this gen are probably the Banner Saga trilogy, Undertale, Hollow Knight, The Witness, Firewatch, What Remains of Edith Finch, Galak-Z, Untitled Goose Game and Trover Saves The Universe. On my top list of checking out are Obra Dinn, Bug Fables, Ethan Carter, Celeste, Sexy Brutale, and Baba is You (own some of them, but still have to really play them).

I think Nintendo is on the right path with what they did with letting the Crypt of the NecroDancer devs have a go at the Zelda ip.

Aside from a couple of Nintendo games, my Switch is mostly a retrogame machine (classic FF's, the Ace attorney games, Podracer, Jedi Knight, Doom 1-3+64, NES/SNES online, etc.). Many indies I own on pc or ps4 already.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6863 on: August 07, 2020, 10:04:00 AM »
Eh, I don't think it's bullshit, it's no different from any other console gen. Microsoft's ahead of the curve but honestly I don't think the One controller needs any improvements, maybe mild adjustments but it's a great, damn near perfect controller. The PS5 however has new capabilities the PS4 controller doesn't have and it'll be nice to see if developers take full advantage of it since players will be required to use it. I'm excited! (The PS4 touchpad is mostly just a map button, unfortunately, although Ghost of Tsushima is using it in a very clever way and I'm having fun taking full advantage of it every time I play - hopefully developers learn how to take better advantage of these things in the next gen)

While I've been playing with the new PC and my PS4, my Switch is mainly used for Color Zen and Donkey Kong Country right now, but that's because I spent 3 years exclusively binging Switch games, so I'm okay with putting it aside (mostly) for now while I wait for more anticipated titles to come out. By the time I'm ready to jump back in I'll have Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Paper Mario TOK, maybe Xenoblade Chronicles DE, and hopefully that rumored Mario collection. Hooray.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6864 on: August 07, 2020, 02:43:04 PM »
I really love the vibe of Luigi's Mansion 3, such a charming game. Never played the other ones unfortunately.

Eh, I don't think it's bullshit, it's no different from any other console gen. Microsoft's ahead of the curve but honestly I don't think the One controller needs any improvements, maybe mild adjustments but it's a great, damn near perfect controller. The PS5 however has new capabilities the PS4 controller doesn't have and it'll be nice to see if developers take full advantage of it since players will be required to use it. I'm excited! (The PS4 touchpad is mostly just a map button, unfortunately, although Ghost of Tsushima is using it in a very clever way and I'm having fun taking full advantage of it every time I play - hopefully developers learn how to take better advantage of these things in the next gen)

While I've been playing with the new PC and my PS4, my Switch is mainly used for Color Zen and Donkey Kong Country right now, but that's because I spent 3 years exclusively binging Switch games, so I'm okay with putting it aside (mostly) for now while I wait for more anticipated titles to come out. By the time I'm ready to jump back in I'll have Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Paper Mario TOK, maybe Xenoblade Chronicles DE, and hopefully that rumored Mario collection. Hooray.

I totally agree if the game uses the full capabilities of the controller.

But on PC I can even use my old wired 360 controller for most modern (multiplatform) games if I'd want to, so that I why I think it should be left to the developers. That said, I know fully well why they do it, it earns more money :P

If they truly use the full capabilities of the new controller though, I am all for it! Some games indeed use the touchpad well. Ghost of Tsuchima is indeed an example. Especially calling the wind feel natural they way they handled it.

And I reaaaally hope to see the 3d Mario's on the Switch. Won't even complain about the prices, I promise.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6865 on: August 07, 2020, 02:48:32 PM »
I really love the vibe of Luigi's Mansion 3, such a charming game. Never played the other ones unfortunately.

I totally agree if the game uses the full capabilities of the controller.

But on PC I can even use my old wired 360 controller for most modern (multiplatform) games if I'd want to, so that I why I think it should be left to the developers. That said, I know fully well why they do it, it earns more money :P

If they truly use the full capabilities of the new controller though, I am all for it! Some games indeed use the touchpad well. Ghost of Tsuchima is indeed an example. Especially calling the wind feel natural they way they handled it.

And I reaaaally hope to see the 3d Mario's on the Switch. Won't even complain about the prices, I promise.

I use my Switch Pro controller, 360, and PS4 controllers with my PCs. It's awesome :)

I really do hope we get those 3D Marios on the Switch this year. I will drop a pretty penny just for SM64 on my Switch. It would be nice if they included the SM64DS minigames that use the touch screen because those are super fun.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6866 on: August 07, 2020, 05:19:53 PM »
I think a Super Mario 64 remaster with modern graphics but otherwise identical to the original would sell like mad.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6867 on: August 07, 2020, 06:02:31 PM »
I think a Super Mario 64 remaster with modern graphics but otherwise identical to the original would sell like mad.

Yeah, they should look at how Crash and Spyro were treated in terms of a graphical upgrade with the exact same game underneath, that would be great. And include the DS stuff.

If they don't and do straight ports or slight enhancements, I do really expect a collection with several games in one package.

I sincerely doubt Nintendo will do several full games with completely remade graphics in one package like Activision does. I'll gladly be wrong though.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6868 on: August 07, 2020, 06:18:13 PM »
The thought of Mario remakes that are as good as the Crash and Spyro remakes makes me drool a little.  I'd be happy just to play Sunshine again. I really love that game. So many good memories.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6869 on: August 08, 2020, 02:11:58 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6870 on: August 08, 2020, 07:04:08 AM »
I've been in the FS2020 alpha for a little bit now and while I can't say much (due to NDA) I'll say that it's a spectacular game with some one serious, almost game breaking draw back that will hopefully be fixed by final release.

edit: For anyone interested in the game please play it on gamepass first before committing to buying it.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6871 on: August 08, 2020, 07:58:37 AM »
I've been in the FS2020 alpha for a little bit now and while I can't say much (due to NDA) I'll say that it's a spectacular game with some one serious, almost game breaking draw back that will hopefully be fixed by final release.

edit: For anyone interested in the game please play it on gamepass first before committing to buying it.
Nice, what kind of setup do you use?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6872 on: August 08, 2020, 11:41:40 AM »
I've been playing on kb+mouse. I used to have a flight stick but I haven't seen it in years. My hardware is an i9-9900k evga 2080 with 32 gigs of ram.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6873 on: August 10, 2020, 09:01:33 AM »
I've almost 100%ed Ghost of Tsushima. I just have a few Mongol artifacts and records to pick up, which I'll do tonight - then I'll knock out the last mission. This game is incredible. While it has lots of things it could improve upon for a sequel (man, I hope there's a Ghost 2 somehow, not sure how the story will end but I already want a sequel badly), it's a highly immersive game and one of the most beautiful I've ever played. It does so much right that I already want to start a new file. It's quickly becoming one of my most favorite games of all time. The sense of joy I get just from walking around the world not accomplishing anything is similar to the feeling I get playing Red Dead Redemption 2 or Breath of the Wild. It's not quite on those levels, but just being in the same conversation is extremely high praise from me. GOTY 2020, no contest imo.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6874 on: August 10, 2020, 09:12:19 AM »
My hardware is an i9-9900k evga 2080 with 32 gigs of ram.

very nice

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6875 on: August 10, 2020, 10:52:34 AM »
Thanks! My first ever Intel build and I love it. I was amd for the longest time.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6876 on: August 10, 2020, 10:34:07 PM »
Credits rolling on Ghost. Just a couple achievements left to get. Not sure what - I did everything else in the game before I took on the ending. I'll wrap up those loose ends tomorrow. First game I've ever cared about achievements, and I intend to have them all by tomorrow at midnight.

Great end to an even greater game. Wow.

EDIT: Never mind. Just got the last ones. Yay!!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 11:11:50 PM by The Walrus »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6877 on: August 10, 2020, 11:22:39 PM »
Credits rolling on Ghost. Just a couple achievements left to get. Not sure what - I did everything else in the game before I took on the ending. I'll wrap up those loose ends tomorrow. First game I've ever cared about achievements, and I intend to have them all by tomorrow at midnight.

How did you like the ending? I thought it was pretty good. I'd tell you what I did at the end but I don't know how to make spoiler tags on here.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6878 on: August 10, 2020, 11:34:55 PM »

How did you like the ending? I thought it was pretty good. I'd tell you what I did at the end but I don't know how to make spoiler tags on here.

I chose the one that wouldn't stain the ground with more red. I couldn't bring myself to do it. I thought it was a perfect, fitting ending.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6879 on: August 10, 2020, 11:48:01 PM »

I chose the one that wouldn't stain the ground with more red. I couldn't bring myself to do it. I thought it was a perfect, fitting ending.

I chose the opposite. I didn't really want to but it seemed more Samurai-like.

It kinda sucks that decisions in this game don't really matter but on the other hand, it was nice to play how I wanted without there being any consequences. If there's a sequel, I wonder if decisions will have real weight.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6880 on: August 12, 2020, 03:32:47 PM »
Won't read the Ghost of Tsuchima posts above as I am only halfway in (I keep getting sidetracked, it is just too addicting to stand off and parry mobs). Awesome game though. I think TLOU2 will be my favourite this year, because the experience resonated with me on many levels. And the gameplay in that game is great as well. But Ghost is excellent indeed. In both I really prefer playing them as action titles though, despite stealth being very viable.

This year Cyberpunk might be the one to end up as my favourite though, or Yakuza 7 (which is now a real rpg and looks fun as hell). Nice to have four of my favourite studios release major games (Sucker Punch tends to be overlooked, but it is actually one of my favourite PS studios, I think especially Infamous 2 is very underrated, as was it's DLC, their three Sly games were amazing back in the day.).

I also played some fall guys with some old housemates, each one turn and then hand over the controller. We loved it.

Furthermore, because I had to sit in an empty train for four hours, twice, I turned on my 3ds again. Played Mario and Luigi Dream Team. People seem down on this game but I really enjoy it?

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6881 on: August 13, 2020, 06:13:06 AM »
Ghost of Tsushima Blog: No spoilers.

I had one of those epic gaming moments last night where the controller disappears and I'm not pushing buttons, but completely in the moment on screen. Parrying, dodging, and attacking in concert with my intentions and will--culminating in a finishing move where I threw down my enemy, and he fell from the high place and broke the mountain-side where he smote it in his ruin.

I love those rare moments!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6882 on: August 13, 2020, 07:01:20 AM »
Dang I really need to finish ME2 and get Ghost of Tsushima

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6883 on: August 13, 2020, 07:10:48 AM »
Ghost of Tsushima Blog: No spoilers.

I had one of those epic gaming moments last night where the controller disappears and I'm not pushing buttons, but completely in the moment on screen. Parrying, dodging, and attacking in concert with my intentions and will--culminating in a finishing move where I threw down my enemy, and he fell from the high place and broke the mountain-side where he smote it in his ruin.

I love those rare moments!

This is so epic  :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6884 on: August 13, 2020, 09:42:55 AM »
I started Ghost a week after its release and really haven't done much with it.  Not saying it's a bad game, but I was in the middle of a Tomb Raider fest when it came out.  Ghost just hasn't been able to pull me away from TR.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6885 on: August 13, 2020, 09:46:33 AM »
I bought Fall Guys last night, Call of Duty currently has a game breaking glitch as does RDR2 Online (it's amazing how AAA big money games are currently broken so bad) so I wanted to play something fun.

It's definitely fun, but I kind of wish I didn't spend $20 on it.  After an hour it felt like I had played all or most of the games already and were already starting to feel a bit old.  It's definitely a cool game, but I'd rather they throw some ads in it and make it free.  Or it should be like $5.  I know they will add more content to it and it is fun, but I feel a bit robbed in terms of content per dollar.  Especially considering Warzone is free.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6886 on: August 13, 2020, 10:01:54 AM »
You can always come back to Mordhau  :lol

I'm playing it more than ever lately. I'm pretty sure I've broken 400 hours in game. The last two updates have been really awesome. Invasion mode is a hoot.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6887 on: August 13, 2020, 10:03:51 AM »
 Maybe I will

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6888 on: August 13, 2020, 11:15:24 AM »
I bought Fall Guys last night, Call of Duty currently has a game breaking glitch as does RDR2 Online (it's amazing how AAA big money games are currently broken so bad) so I wanted to play something fun.

It's definitely fun, but I kind of wish I didn't spend $20 on it.  After an hour it felt like I had played all or most of the games already and were already starting to feel a bit old.  It's definitely a cool game, but I'd rather they throw some ads in it and make it free.  Or it should be like $5.  I know they will add more content to it and it is fun, but I feel a bit robbed in terms of content per dollar.  Especially considering Warzone is free.

Yeah I get that. It was a psplus game so it was included with my subscription. There are like 8 million players on PS4 due to that now (as per the latest news). I think it will eventually go free to play. 

I also think they can eventually expand on the team-based games and make those a bit more competitive.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6889 on: August 13, 2020, 11:22:37 AM »

Yeah I get that. It was a psplus game so it was included with my subscription. There are like 8 million players on PS4 due to that now (as per the latest news). I think it will eventually go free to play. 

I also think they can eventually expand on the team-based games and make those a bit more competitive.

You enjoy it though? I do think its a fun game with a good idea.  It just needs more games in general.  Unless it totally changes when you get to the top 10?  I have only one I think 4 games so haven't gotten to the end.  Also needs more games for the first game, every one being a race gets old quick.  There's definitely tons of potential here.  Also, I assume it will happen, but this is definitely a game that is prime for crossplay.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6890 on: August 13, 2020, 11:57:43 AM »

You enjoy it though? I do think its a fun game with a good idea.  It just needs more games in general.  Unless it totally changes when you get to the top 10?  I have only one I think 4 games so haven't gotten to the end.  Also needs more games for the first game, every one being a race gets old quick.  There's definitely tons of potential here.  Also, I assume it will happen, but this is definitely a game that is prime for crossplay.

Well I played it with some friends on the couch switching controllers and that was a lot of fun. I also played a bit on my own and still had fun. I thought the variety of levels was pretty solid, but I didn't play it for hours or something, I don't think it is that type of game.

Kind of reminds me of a series of mass scale Mario Party minigames, full of random fuckery, and that is fine by me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6891 on: August 13, 2020, 12:29:58 PM »
Yes! It reminded me of the mario party mini games as well except on a bigger scale in terms of players. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6892 on: August 13, 2020, 12:39:09 PM »
I got a good laugh from this picture, it seems InfinityWard finally just announced they are working to fix the weapon glitch and then I saw this picture of DrDisRespect on reddit

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6893 on: August 13, 2020, 02:30:14 PM »
 :lol :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6894 on: August 13, 2020, 02:46:33 PM »
Speaking of glitches, the original version of Shadow of the Tomb Raider had a major side mission glitch which was awarded with certain gear needed to access additional areas of the map.  I downloaded that game free from the PS Now membership.  Evidently, that was fixed in the Definitive Edition release a year or so later.  I payed 20 bucks for that and had to start over.  I guess I don't really mind because it's a fun game, but what a pain.  I just hope once I get back to that mission, it doesn't fuck me again.  Then I'll be pissed.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White