Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 481773 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #6475 on: May 22, 2020, 09:39:12 PM »
I've barely been able to game all month due to my health but I'm finally feeling well enough to play again. That's funny to read after typing but it's strange how being unable to breathe well makes it completely unenjoyable to game especially when you're in tense situations. Basically made The Last of Us impossible. Hoping to finally knock that out over the holiday weekend here. And I got a fresh hard drive so it's time to load up on even more games despite saying I wouldn't buy more :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6476 on: May 23, 2020, 07:41:02 AM »
The Last of Us is 99% tense situations so yeah :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6477 on: May 26, 2020, 04:21:48 PM »
Been playing a lot of GTA V for PS4. Sure it doesn't look as sweet as the latest PC versions, but its head and shoulders about the original PS3 version which I originally played. I love the first person and interior views for the vehicles.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6478 on: May 26, 2020, 09:29:57 PM »
You mangs ever play Guacamelee? It's one of the many unplayed games I have in my Steam library. I finally started playing it and it's really good. I bought the 2nd game because it was on sale for $5.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6479 on: May 28, 2020, 06:53:15 AM »
^^ I've thought about buying Guacamelee at least half a dozen times while browsing the eshop, and have never been able to force myself to buy it. If I see it super cheap maybe I'll pick it up now.

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition comes out tomorrow!! Feel like a doofus for still not getting the XC2 Torna DLC but I can't wait to finally see what the hype is about for XC1. The battle system HUD doesn't look nearly as good as 2's but the combat does look similar so I'm excited!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6480 on: May 28, 2020, 11:31:21 AM »
^^ I've thought about buying Guacamelee at least half a dozen times while browsing the eshop, and have never been able to force myself to buy it. If I see it super cheap maybe I'll pick it up now.

I waited for a sale too. I'm not normally into these games.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6481 on: May 28, 2020, 07:35:00 PM »
Apparently the indie Bug Fables is a great Paper Mario-like (the first two titles) RPG that just released on consoles. Interested in buying it. People seem enthusiastic about it and say it is a full fledged 35-45 hour game

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6482 on: May 28, 2020, 11:15:22 PM »
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition comes out tomorrow!! Feel like a doofus for still not getting the XC2 Torna DLC but I can't wait to finally see what the hype is about for XC1. The battle system HUD doesn't look nearly as good as 2's but the combat does look similar so I'm excited!

I played a few hours on PC (emulator) just before it was announced on switch, when I stopped so I could play the whole thing on the go. My copy arrives tomorrow (got the special edition for 2, so I had to get the collector's for 1) so I'll be enjoying all the QOL updates even if the resolution doesn't match what my PC could produce.

I see folks online complaining about the low resolution, but I played 90% of XC2 on handheld before work in the morning (skip the traffic and 30 minutes of game time? Sign me up!) and it was the soundtrack, combat, and story that had me hooked, not the graphics. And there was a minor graphical upgrade with the Torna release that seems to have been carried over to XC:DE.

Also, from what I hear from long-time fans, the story in XC1 is superior to 2, so I'm excited to see for myself and continue into the new 10 hour epilogue. :caffeine:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6483 on: May 29, 2020, 04:33:20 AM »
This is my first time playing Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and I have been looking forward to this for a long time.

I liked XC 2 for the most part, but didn't get very far. People say part 1 is where its at and so far I am enjoying it.

I have a switch lite, so its always handheld mode and I haven't noticed any issues graphics wise. I honestly think it looks pretty decent.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6484 on: May 29, 2020, 08:06:26 AM »
I like how Mortal Kombat 11 has, out for 25 stages, 3 stage fatalities. They better develop and release more in a couple months.

I only have done 2 friendships. Kabal and Sheeva, bother were musical.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6485 on: May 29, 2020, 06:51:51 PM »
Loving God of War so far.  Though something is strange about it (from my perspective).  In games like AC, Witcher, Horizon Zero Dawn, I was easily able to ... what's the word ... grasp (??) the terrain and the map.  Perhaps it's because there are so many things that are locked or inaccessible at the moment.  I feel like there's a lot I'm missing, or not finding.  Like, when I went to Alfheim, I zero comfort that I knew what I was doing, or where the hell I was going.  I just kept moving towards the obvious places of the main mission, got the thingie I needed, and made my way back to Midgard.

I swear I'm gonna be playing this game until Christmas.  Largely because I'm a completionist.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6486 on: May 29, 2020, 07:06:04 PM »
God of War is a fantastic game Chad but I felt the same way as you, I think it's because the game I played right before was RDR2.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #6487 on: May 30, 2020, 10:17:30 AM »
Loving God of War so far.  Though something is strange about it (from my perspective).  In games like AC, Witcher, Horizon Zero Dawn, I was easily able to ... what's the word ... grasp (??) the terrain and the map.  Perhaps it's because there are so many things that are locked or inaccessible at the moment.  I feel like there's a lot I'm missing, or not finding.  Like, when I went to Alfheim, I zero comfort that I knew what I was doing, or where the hell I was going.  I just kept moving towards the obvious places of the main mission, got the thingie I needed, and made my way back to Midgard.

I swear I'm gonna be playing this game until Christmas.  Largely because I'm a completionist.

God of War is definitely more open than the original games, but is also more linear than a traditional open world game. Although you can kinda go off and do things on your own the game absolutely drives you towards one path on a regular basis.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6488 on: May 30, 2020, 12:50:08 PM »
It is kind of a mixture of genres in structure. Some parts will have backtracking and power ups give access to new routes, and there is a large central hub (maybe a bit like Zelda). But there are also quite a lot of linear paths with some sidetracks and backtracking here and there, but to a minimal degree (similar to, say, Resident Evil 4). I think it is really well balanced, I often tend to like it when games switch up structure and GoW does it really well.

I wouldn't worry about missing stuff too much, as far as I know most if not all stuff is not missable.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6489 on: May 30, 2020, 01:10:03 PM »
I really want to go back and try to 100% GoW someday. There is sooo much I missed out on, but I had so much fun with the story and photo mode (as my first PS4 game) that I ran right through to the end without much sidetracking. I don't recall having much trouble navigating the environment, though. I haven't played it since I beat it, of course, but I think that has to be one of the very best "first game on a new console" experiences I've ever had. (The others would be Super Mario 64 and Breath of the Wild, off the top of my head. Maybe Pokemon Red/Blue on a GameBoy Color)

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is amazing so far. I am in awe at how much fun I am having with it.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6490 on: May 30, 2020, 03:05:55 PM »
I really want to go back and try to 100% GoW someday. There is sooo much I missed out on, but I had so much fun with the story and photo mode (as my first PS4 game) that I ran right through to the end without much sidetracking. I don't recall having much trouble navigating the environment, though. I haven't played it since I beat it, of course, but I think that has to be one of the very best "first game on a new console" experiences I've ever had. (The others would be Super Mario 64 and Breath of the Wild, off the top of my head. Maybe Pokemon Red/Blue on a GameBoy Color)

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is amazing so far. I am in awe at how much fun I am having with it.

There are a lot of issues I have with Oddysey and Assassins Creed in general, but the many positives won me over.

And if you like history and want to know more about the world and culture(s), I recommend checking out the Discovery mode. They actually have guided tours narrated by different historians. It is like an 8-hourish full experience they added later on for free.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6491 on: May 30, 2020, 08:03:39 PM »
Ah good old Assassin's Creed. I think I've played all the 3d ones except for the one with the French womang.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6492 on: May 30, 2020, 08:12:42 PM »

There are a lot of issues I have with Oddysey and Assassins Creed in general, but the many positives won me over.

And if you like history and want to know more about the world and culture(s), I recommend checking out the Discovery mode. They actually have guided tours narrated by different historians. It is like an 8-hourish full experience they added later on for free.

I think I'm playing on Exploration mode. I went into this one wanting to pare down all the unnecessary HUD elements, so literally the only thing I see on the screen is how far away my current objective is. I love playing that way, but also, the Discovery mode sounds amazing, I remember hearing about it with Origins and that was actually the #1 reason I wanted to check it out. One of these days I'll have to buy it.

On Chad's recommendation I'm going to finally check out Shadow of War, too. I built my last PC to play Mordor on max settings and it's one of my most favorite games, but I didn't buy War because, long story short, industry practices bother me. But apparently you can ride Nazgul or something, which I'm all about, so hopefully it's cheap on the eshop. That'll be game #7 on the backlog...

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #6493 on: May 31, 2020, 05:29:37 AM »
Katt, play Kassandra, stick to exploration, pick the less dickey answers, and don't rush anything.

If you don't mind numbers popping out of enemies in an AC game (it took me a while to acquire the taste), you're gonna have a great time.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6494 on: May 31, 2020, 06:54:09 AM »
I think my issue with GOW is that virtually every area explored has something inaccessible at first, until you get a power/skill later.  Example, the chests protected by the red-vines, and Areus' shock arrows.  I'm now at a point where chests are protected by some blue-stuff; as well as these spherical green globes hanging around.  I'm certain those things will come into play later, but I fear I'm gonna forget about some side paths here and there.  Probably not a huge deal, but I like being a completionist.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6495 on: May 31, 2020, 07:25:13 AM »
I think my issue with GOW is that virtually every area explored has something inaccessible at first, until you get a power/skill later.  Example, the chests protected by the red-vines, and Areus' shock arrows.  I'm now at a point where chests are protected by some blue-stuff; as well as these spherical green globes hanging around.  I'm certain those things will come into play later, but I fear I'm gonna forget about some side paths here and there.  Probably not a huge deal, but I like being a completionist.

I think the map menu lists everything findable per area. Eventually it becomes quite easy to traverse through some areas and for part of the areas you will return to them anyways. It has been two years, but I recall being able to get to most relevant stuff fairly easy, though I am not a completionist.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6496 on: May 31, 2020, 11:16:22 AM »
Anybody playing Xenoblade Definitive edition? This the most fun I have had with a JRPG in years  :heart

The verticality in this game is incredible. I love how the world is built.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 02:48:53 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6497 on: May 31, 2020, 11:29:23 AM »
Anybody playing Xenoblade Definitive edition? This the most fun I have had with a JRPG in years  :heart

Ughhh I want to but I don't want to drop $60 on it when, by the time I get to it, it could be on sale. I'm actively restraining myself hahaha

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6498 on: June 01, 2020, 10:50:53 PM »

The verticality in this game is incredible. I love how the world is built.

Having a great time so far, still a few hours away from where I left off on PC, but I'm loving the re-orchestrated soundtrack compared to the emulated PC version. Definitely glad I waited for this to come out to experience the entire game with the flexibility of the Switch.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6499 on: June 02, 2020, 04:51:39 PM »
I should get back to Odyssey. I got about 50% complete and stopped playing. It was fun while I was playing it, but I got distracted by other games.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6500 on: June 02, 2020, 06:03:36 PM »
I should get back to Odyssey. I got about 50% complete and stopped playing. It was fun while I was playing it, but I got distracted by other games.

I can see myself getting EASILY over a hundred hours in this thing. I've only completed Kephallonia, Megaris, and now Phokis... that leaves well over 30 more territories to get to. I'm having an absolute blast but at the same time I hope I don't burn out before I see most of the game. I just wish the conquest battles mattered. I'm helping the invading armies on each territory because I get better loot, otherwise I don't care at all about who's winning or losing. It's cool that they change over time though, apparently.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6501 on: June 02, 2020, 06:56:21 PM »

I can see myself getting EASILY over a hundred hours in this thing. I've only completed Kephallonia, Megaris, and now Phokis... that leaves well over 30 more territories to get to. I'm having an absolute blast but at the same time I hope I don't burn out before I see most of the game. I just wish the conquest battles mattered. I'm helping the invading armies on each territory because I get better loot, otherwise I don't care at all about who's winning or losing. It's cool that they change over time though, apparently.
Yeah, I didn't get burned out so much as I just got distracted. As far as the conquest battles go, I too just care about how much loot I can get. Which works well in the lore, because you are basically a hired mercenary anyways. Plus staying neutral works better for your character's story in my opinion.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6502 on: June 05, 2020, 08:55:50 AM »
I remembered I have the AC Odyssey Gold Edition which means I have all the DLC. One of my friends has been hyping up the Atlantis/Elysium stuff to me so I checked it out. Cool! Then I remembered, it also came with Assassin's Creed 3 Remastered. So, I downloaded that. THEN I saw Assassin's Creed Origins Deluxe Edition on sale for $14, down from $70. So, obviously, I bought that, too. Send help. I have a problem.  :rollin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6503 on: June 05, 2020, 09:45:53 AM »
I remembered I have the AC Odyssey Gold Edition which means I have all the DLC. One of my friends has been hyping up the Atlantis/Elysium stuff to me so I checked it out. Cool! Then I remembered, it also came with Assassin's Creed 3 Remastered. So, I downloaded that. THEN I saw Assassin's Creed Origins Deluxe Edition on sale for $14, down from $70. So, obviously, I bought that, too. Send help. I have a problem.  :rollin
:lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6504 on: June 05, 2020, 09:54:41 AM »
I'm still ridiculously obsessed with Call of Duty Warzone, but I'm struggling with my new PC build to get my settings just right.  I guess I should have noted things like my mouse sensitivity.  Every damn split second matters in this game.  I also installed a "new" monitor with my PC that is 1440p and about 5 inches bigger.  I think that's been an adjustment as well.  However, things just look so beautiful and I'm slowly getting myself adjusted.  Picked up my first win yesterday with the new build  :metal  According to codstats.net my 17 Warzone wins puts me in the top 8% of all players  :yarr

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6505 on: June 05, 2020, 09:57:33 AM »

Remember when you just played through a game, beat it, and then put it away (till the next time you decided to play through it)?

But then, how cool would it have been in 1987 if you could purchase 9 new dungeons for The Legend of Zelda, or levels 9-1 through 12-4 for Super Mario Bros?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6506 on: June 05, 2020, 10:10:30 AM »

Remember when you just played through a game, beat it, and then put it away (till the next time you decided to play through it)?

But then, how cool would it have been in 1987 if you could purchase 9 new dungeons for The Legend of Zelda, or levels 9-1 through 12-4 for Super Mario Bros?

Seriously.  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6507 on: June 05, 2020, 10:18:18 AM »
Here, since I've picked AC: Odyssey back up after a long hiatus, I have some screenshots to share. It really is a beautiful game, most of the time.

aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6508 on: June 05, 2020, 10:21:22 AM »
Omg those are amazing!  :hefdaddy I really need to trade my PS4 in for a Pro to maximize the potential of these games.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6509 on: June 05, 2020, 10:43:45 AM »
I am three divine beasts into Breath of the Wild, I love the game. Though I do have some things that I really hope the sequel improves upon (sidestories/characters, visual variety in shrines, the quality and amount of voice acting/cutscenes etc.). But overall the game has so much unique things to offer that it doesn't necessarily hold the game back for me.

I am also playing Death Stranding and Deadly Premonition: Origins. Two really unique games.

I think I might end up loving Death Stranding a whole lot. It always looked boring, so bought it very cheaply second hand, but playing it I find it oddly engaging and I absolutely love the atmosphere and weird plot thus far. I also enjoy the gameplay, despite the downtime. You start out with nothing but a barren world between delivery points, with a variety of hazards and enemies, requiring long inefficient walks. But as you progress, you are changing the world around you, creating efficient routes for delivery. Ladders, ziplines, acual roads and vehicles etc. And the "social media" multiplayer aspect is done really well (does not require Plus). An boy does this game look good, probably the best I have seen on the PS4(Pro). And I think the soundtrack is fantastic, with some great moments that take the "Red Dead" approach, with the camera zooming out and a song playing.

Deadly Premonition is goddamn mess, but a highly enjoyable one that I also might end up loving. The combat is awful but very easy and after the horrid first impression, I get satisfaction from doing headshots. At least the encounters differ a lot in terms of design, but it's very janky. But ultimately, the combat is actually way smaller of a factor than I anticipated (probably why they made it so easy in later versions, so it won't be a hindrance). There is a whole lot of interacting with the bizarre cast of characters and just exploring the town. And I am finding it very engaging. This is truly one of those games you will hate or love. All the reviews rating it terrible are right, but the ones claiming it is one of the best games ever are also right.