Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 484768 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #6405 on: May 05, 2020, 08:21:09 PM »
If you go to a nearby stable you can instantly recall your horse  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6406 on: May 05, 2020, 08:34:28 PM »

Are Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 available on the Switch?

Sadly no. And neither are Sunshine, or mario 64.

Switch Online is really lacking imo. Switch has been out 3 years at this point and on Switch online, There are some great SNES game, a bunch of NES games, but ZERO n64, Gamecube or Wii games. I would have much rather just had the Virtual console again. I would have bought sooo much stuff  :P

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6407 on: May 05, 2020, 09:28:03 PM »
Also, maybe I am old school, but these games should have one clear, defined goal. Save the princess. That should be the driving force of the game, not how many moons I can get.
You can still go save the princess in Mario Odyssey if that's all you care about, Nintendo hasn't taken that away from you. But why "should" that be the only purpose of the game? It's not like the story of having to go and save Peach yet again has ever been compelling, the draw of Mario has always been the gameplay, and Odyssey's excessive amount of moons is about giving players more of that gameplay.

I know, I know :) I don't know why I am making it in to a bigger deal than it needs to be. To show I don't take this too seriously, I will leave you with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbUqEPUZ-ds
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6408 on: May 06, 2020, 09:03:15 AM »
Downloaded FFXII The Zodiac Age nearly two weeks ago and haven't stopped playing it since. :eek
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6409 on: May 06, 2020, 01:42:06 PM »

Switch Online is really lacking imo. Switch has been out 3 years at this point and on Switch online, There are some great SNES game, a bunch of NES games, but ZERO n64, Gamecube or Wii games. I would have much rather just had the Virtual console again. I would have bought sooo much stuff  :P

I am okay with Switch online in the sense that it is 20 euros annually and covers a good (and slowly increasing) library of classic games. And those games can be played multiplayer online as well. The next logical step to me would be gameboy titles, as it fits into a similar small sized app.

However, I am very dissapointed how Nintendo uses their 3d back catalog. I can play (way) more classic N64 games on an Xbox One. And waaay more PS1 and PS2 classics on the Switch itself than N64/GC, for example. It is just odd to me that I can play FFVII but not a classic Zelda.

Not to mention they haven't even ported the more recent Pikmin 3 and Super Mario World or both of the the HD Zelda remasters. I simply do not understand. Just look at what Sony and Microsoft offer. Compare any of the WiiU to Switch Nintendo ports to, say, the Uncharted Trilogy or Master Chief Collection.

But hey, I believe next week I will be able to play Episode 1 Podracer on the Switch, so at least third parties are doing something.

Downloaded FFXII The Zodiac Age nearly two weeks ago and haven't stopped playing it since. :eek

As I mentioned a couple of pages back, I really enjoyed that game. Especially the world and exploration.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 01:49:39 PM by ErHaO »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6410 on: May 06, 2020, 02:56:11 PM »
You know what's equally baffling? No Pikmin 4. They said they were 'nearly finished' with it back around 2014... and there's been absolutely no trace of it since. I haven't even played Pikmin 3 because they never ported it (I stupidly chose Wind Waker HD as my free Wii U game when I bought it... not like it's a bad game, but I already played it several times, I should've gone with Pikmin). Damn you Ninty  :censored
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6411 on: May 06, 2020, 04:20:52 PM »
Well, me and the vast majority of Switch owners have never owned a WiiU. Most have probably never even seen one in the wild (WiiU sold 13 million, Switch is at over 50 million already). To me it seems like such a no brainer to port the remaining main exclusives. Both Donkey Kong and New Super Mario Brothers did very well, sold millions of copies. Oh, and Mario Kart was huge. All of them full price as well.

I have never played Pikman but would like to!

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6412 on: May 06, 2020, 04:27:13 PM »
If they would just make the older games available to buy strait out and download, then I would be spending hundreds of dollars. Switch online functions great for what it does but I wish they would A) separate it from the games service or B) make more games available

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6413 on: May 06, 2020, 06:03:48 PM »
Mortal Kombat 11 is bringing a new story mode involving Shang Tsung, Fujin, and Sheeva. Both will be playable now. Also, they're bringing back Friendships and Stage Fatalities. Oh and RoboCop.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6414 on: May 06, 2020, 08:11:40 PM »
If we get the rumored Mario re-releases and the Prime remasters, that might well be the nudge I need to grab a Switch.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6415 on: May 07, 2020, 08:24:12 AM »

As I mentioned a couple of pages back, I really enjoyed that game. Especially the world and exploration.

Yes, that seems to be the game's strong point.  I don't recall enjoying the original version on PS2 as much as this.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6416 on: May 07, 2020, 03:55:26 PM »
Six hours into Detroit: Being Human, I love it. It does help that I like the genre (Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream and The Walking Dead S1 / The Wolf Among Us by Telltale Games are some of my favourite games). The soundtrack for the game is fantastic, too. Can't wait to continue it on weekend.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6417 on: May 07, 2020, 05:58:12 PM »
Six hours into Detroit: Being Human, I love it. It does help that I like the genre (Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream and The Walking Dead S1 / The Wolf Among Us by Telltale Games are some of my favourite games). The soundtrack for the game is fantastic, too. Can't wait to continue it on weekend.

Yeah, it is great. And Detroid is one of the few that actually delivers on the "different choices lead to different things" promise. There are so many deviations, some of them leading to quite different scenarios.

I also recommend playing Until Dawn.

Yes, that seems to be the game's strong point.  I don't recall enjoying the original version on PS2 as much as this.

I did not really enjoy it as a kid, came in expecting more of the classic FF's I think. But was really surprised when I checked it out last year.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6418 on: May 08, 2020, 08:23:24 AM »

That's one of the many games I never finished.  Not because it wasn't good, but like so many times before, I was most likely distracted by another game release and so on.  It's a never ending cycle with me.  So many games I have are unfinished and some of them I barely even started. :lolpalm:

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6419 on: May 10, 2020, 06:34:38 AM »
I finally beat Fallen Order last night. I loved the game, the combat, the visuals it was all fantastic. I put it up there with God of War and Read Dead 2 but there was one thing that really killed the flow of the game and that was the backtracking. When you'd finish certain areas you'd have to walk back to your ship and it always killed the momentum of the game because I had to keep taking out the map to look where I was going.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6420 on: May 10, 2020, 03:13:00 PM »
Been playing alot of Snowrunner recently. Didn't think that was a game for me but oh how wrong I was, it's so addictive.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6421 on: May 10, 2020, 08:45:22 PM »
Been playing alot of Snowrunner recently. Didn't think that was a game for me but oh how wrong I was, it's so addictive.
Snowrunner is great. It's the sequel to Mudrunner, which was also great, which was the sequel to Spintires, which got the whole Off-Road-in-mud-with-huge-trucks genre off the ground and (sort of) into the mainstream.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6422 on: May 11, 2020, 07:20:35 AM »
I posted this in the Westworld thread in Movies & TV but I figured it could go here, too. Check out what I made in Animal Crossing last night:

So, let me break it down. This season in Westworld there is an artificial intelligence system named Rehoboam that two characters developed. In a flashback, they show how they started developing the AI and how it could predict and manipulate markets and futures in the blink of an eye to make anyone in control of it wealthy beyond their wildest dreams. Rehoboam is represented with a large circle similar to a solar eclipse, with a thin corona. When events in the world happen that don't fit in with Rehoboam's predictions or plans for the future, big shadows stretch across the circle to indicate these 'divergences.'

In Animal Crossing, there is a thing called the stalk market where you buy turnips for a low price and then try to sell them for obscenely high prices. With the Internet, everybody is gaming the system to make millions in cash every week while only investing thousands. This is theoretically wreaking economic turmoil on the peaceful world of Animal Crossing and not how I believe Nintendo intended for people to play the game, min-maxing it. I have over 10 million in the bank right now from abusing the system. Hence the extreme corona on the circle in the pattern. I don't think Nintendo expected everyone to line up in massive queues online to break the game's economy  :lol

So I threw a turnip design in the center, and I'm going to lay a full black floor around the design in my basement and use it as a perpetual turnip storage to honor the manipulation of the markets. I'm such a nerd!  :lol

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6423 on: May 12, 2020, 09:05:04 AM »
After finishing FFVII remake, I was still in the mood for an RPG, so I started playing Lost Odyssey from 2007 for the first time. So far so good.

It was a project from Hironobu Sakaguchi after he left square enix and it definitely feels like an older school final fantasy game. I wish I would have played it back when it was released.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6424 on: May 12, 2020, 02:50:58 PM »

This does not please Herrick.

I finally beat Fallen Order last night. I loved the game, the combat, the visuals it was all fantastic. I put it up there with God of War and Read Dead 2 but there was one thing that really killed the flow of the game and that was the backtracking. When you'd finish certain areas you'd have to walk back to your ship and it always killed the momentum of the game because I had to keep taking out the map to look where I was going.

The backtracking was my main complaint with that game. Also, I didn't enjoy fighting creatures. I really liked the combat otherwise. Deflecting blaster shots felt great.

DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6425 on: May 12, 2020, 03:08:07 PM »
Tony Hawk Pro Skater Remake 1+2, I will say I am very intrigued. I remember spending hours and hours playing the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0mNQxLUHyg
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6426 on: May 12, 2020, 03:34:51 PM »
Tony Hawk Pro Skater Remake 1+2, I will say I am very intrigued. I remember spending hours and hours playing the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0mNQxLUHyg

That's looks sweet, probably will be getting it. LOVED the originals when i was a kid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6427 on: May 12, 2020, 03:47:57 PM »
By the same devs who remade the Crash trilogy which, from personal experience, is an amazing remake so, yeah, dis gun b gud

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6428 on: May 13, 2020, 01:06:13 PM »
Tech demo called Lumen in the Land of Nanite (Lumen and Nanite are two technologies used in the upcoming Unreal Engine 5) showing off the PS5's capabilities. I assume this is what actual, fully developed games will look like later on in the PS5's life cycle when they have mastered and can take full advantage of the PS5 hardware (potentially PS5 Pro?).

https://youtu.be/qC5KtatMcUw

Looks amazing and I would love to play a full game of this. The parkour and gliding at the end, WHOA!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6429 on: May 13, 2020, 03:35:02 PM »
I've been playing Mortal Kombat 11 more, since I got better hotspot speed now. I'm enjoying how fun the Towers of Time are.

I haven't been playing Animal Crossing much either. I got bored of it, and haven't checked my Island in a long time. Doesn't help most of my friends don't even play Animal Crossing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6430 on: May 13, 2020, 04:12:45 PM »
Tech demo called Lumen in the Land of Nanite (Lumen and Nanite are two technologies used in the upcoming Unreal Engine 5) showing off the PS5's capabilities. I assume this is what actual, fully developed games will look like later on in the PS5's life cycle when they have mastered and can take full advantage of the PS5 hardware (potentially PS5 Pro?).

Looks amazing and I would love to play a full game of this. The parkour and gliding at the end, WHOA!

Wow!  That is absolutely amazing!  Just when we thought graphics couldn't get any better. :eek

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6431 on: May 13, 2020, 04:42:21 PM »

Wow!  That is absolutely amazing!  Just when we thought graphics couldn't get any better. :eek

Yeah, I came here to post that video.

Katt, imagine Guerrilla Studios doing a HZD 2 like this!! :drool:

One thing they didn't show, that I'm curious about, was animating all that detail. The player character wasn't as detailed as the statues. I wonder what the impact on the PS5 is when you try to make one of those statues behave naturally within the physics.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6432 on: May 13, 2020, 08:50:39 PM »
Yeah, I'm ready to buy a PS5  :metal

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #6433 on: May 13, 2020, 09:15:56 PM »
https://www.pcgamer.com/mafia-definitive-edition-is-coming-in-august-and-it-looks-gorgeous/

I'm so pumped for this. It looks like they completely remade the original Mafia from the ground up, new voice actors, more details with the same original score and story with expanded missions. The first one was a masterpiece to me when it first came out, even though I played it on the less than impressive console version (the PC is fantastic). The story was always amazing to me and it will be really cool to see it remade.

Mafia 2 is also interesting since, despite it being kinda repetitive and dry, I enjoyed the story, setting, and characters. It was already great when it was released, it will look even better remastered. Mafia 3 is the one I don't care much about because that was a really bad game and it was released three years ago on PS4, and now is being released again--it doesn't make sense. Maybe they overhauled the horrible game system where you had to complete repetitive side missions to advance the main story.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6434 on: May 14, 2020, 07:00:22 AM »

Holy hell. That's ridiculous. I can't wait for the next GTA knowing it was developed from day one for this gen. We had to get a remaster on the PS4.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6435 on: May 14, 2020, 07:36:13 AM »

Holy hell. That's ridiculous. I can't wait for the next GTA knowing it was developed from day one for this gen. We had to get a remaster on the PS4.

My mind went to GTA as well. I am just praying that VI comes out sooner than later. Its been Seven years since we've had a new one and I am itching for it.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6436 on: May 14, 2020, 07:51:32 AM »
Tech demo looks amazing. Kind of wish it was an actual game by Epic. Apparently this tech also heavily uses the extremely high SSD speed of the PS5.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6437 on: May 14, 2020, 07:54:35 AM »
I wish the next gen consoles would come with 5TB+ hard drives. My 500GB PS4 can't hold anything. GTA, RDR2, and Gran Turismo take up like 1/2 of it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6438 on: May 14, 2020, 08:10:15 AM »
Good lord, the announcements! Paper Mario: The Origami King announced for July 17th. The Mafia games look amazing! The Tony Hawk games look amazing! COVID-19 ain't stopping the goods from coming  :hefdaddy

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6439 on: May 14, 2020, 08:18:44 AM »
Tech demo looks amazing. Kind of wish it was an actual game by Epic. Apparently this tech also heavily uses the extremely high SSD speed of the PS5.

Maybe that is an actual game in the early stages of development.

Yeah, I'm ready to buy a PS5  :metal

I won't buy anything else.  Sony Rules!!

I wish the next gen consoles would come with 5TB+ hard drives. My 500GB PS4 can't hold anything. GTA, RDR2, and Gran Turismo take up like 1/2 of it.

There's no need for that.  You never heard of extended storage?  I have a 4TB Seagate external HD.  USB plugs right into the front of the PS4.  Piece O' cake.