Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 485466 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #5950 on: January 28, 2020, 11:28:23 AM »
Way way back in the day I obsessively played this unfortunately bot-ridden MMORPG called Silk Road Online, and they had a merchant/trader job and you could be attacked by certain other players if you were making a trek between cities. That is a PvP style of gameplay I am down with; just getting attacked by a rando out in the wilds for no reason enrages me, though. If we were on Discord, I would be screaming, and cram would be laughing hysterically. Bet.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5951 on: January 28, 2020, 11:28:47 AM »
The honor system makes little sense to me though, my honor is almost always perfect.  It doesn't hurt too much to go on a rampage and I'll regain it by doing a couple bounties.  It's not a very equal system but then again, maybe I just play the game enough of the way I'm supposed to that I can get away with all the side killing for fun.

I think that's it in a nutshell. You can't help but get into the occasional fire fight, shoot a horse in the face, or decide that you want to hog tie someone and throw them off a bridge. However, I bet if you looked at the honor levels of those players that do nothing but run around causing chaos, they'd have much lower honor levels.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5952 on: January 28, 2020, 11:29:33 AM »
If we were on Discord, I would be screaming, and cram would be laughing hysterically. Bet.  :lol

This sounds fun  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5953 on: January 28, 2020, 02:47:45 PM »
The final act of Kentucky Route Zero is out! This is a fucking awesome game, one of the few I'd consider art. Can't wait to replay it :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxcUZU0vtLE

I've heard so much about this game and I really want to try it out. Is it like a telltale style game?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #5954 on: January 28, 2020, 08:06:44 PM »
Although it's a point and click adventure game, it's very different mechanically, as it's more about unfolding a story and exploring many possibilities rather than about good or bad choices or solving puzzles. It's pretty short so I'd go into it with no expectations at all.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #5955 on: January 28, 2020, 08:26:11 PM »
Oh yeah that game has been in progress since like 2013 or something? I got it in my librarby's at some point so I guess I should play it

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5956 on: January 29, 2020, 03:22:33 PM »
Booted up Escape from Tarkov the other day. Haven't played in some time. Playing alone is one of the most intense and nerve-wracking FPS experiences out there. Playing in a group is a bit better but still it's intense whenever your end up in a firefight. However it's sooo satisfying whenever your done a successful extraction with good gear.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5957 on: January 29, 2020, 07:48:42 PM »
Oh yeah that game has been in progress since like 2013 or something? I got it in my librarby's at some point so I guess I should play it
Yeah and only now it's been finished. Very short one, give it a try. I love it :metal

Offline H2

« Reply #5958 on: January 31, 2020, 11:17:59 AM »
Anyone here play Town of Salem? I've been playing the flummery out of it.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5959 on: January 31, 2020, 05:04:56 PM »
I've been hopelessly addicted to a game called Nova Drift recently.... So good! It's like a Space/Action Rogue-like.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5960 on: January 31, 2020, 08:36:56 PM »
Latest Final Fantasy 7 remake trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz9QWTcbXYE

Really can't wait for this one

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5961 on: January 31, 2020, 09:23:14 PM »
^ The remake just looks better and better each time they show something new. I can't wait for this. I simply can't play the original 7 anymore... it looks too bad and controls way too janky to be any fun now (imo). It's been ages since I've seen the end of it. I hope it won't take long for them to get there...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5962 on: February 01, 2020, 08:52:26 PM »
My best buds gave me a $50 PlayStation gift card for my birthday. That's so cool and unexpected of them. Wow.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5963 on: February 01, 2020, 09:07:43 PM »
My best buds gave me a $50 PlayStation gift card for my birthday. That's so cool and unexpected of them. Wow.

Nice. Which game you gonna buy?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5964 on: February 01, 2020, 09:20:10 PM »

No idea! I have a lot of the heavy hitters that I want, and I just started Red Dead Redemption 2, and I'm definitely making time for Animal Crossing in March - so maybe I should just hold off on it. I still have The Last of Us Remastered, Doom, Monster Hunter World, and The Witcher 3 left to play. Those could technically last me the rest of the year! Then factor in when I want to play Smash Bros. :eek

EDIT: Wow that was a quick 180 - Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition is on sale for $35. Sold. Almost grabbed Dragon Age Inquisition despite my troubled history, because it's the deluxe edition and it's only $5 - but I'm not taking a chance on ever having that corrupt save thing happening again, so nope. FFXV it is.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 09:27:27 PM by Kattelox »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5965 on: February 01, 2020, 10:40:36 PM »

No idea! I have a lot of the heavy hitters that I want, and I just started Red Dead Redemption 2, and I'm definitely making time for Animal Crossing in March - so maybe I should just hold off on it. I still have The Last of Us Remastered, Doom, Monster Hunter World, and The Witcher 3 left to play. Those could technically last me the rest of the year! Then factor in when I want to play Smash Bros. :eek

EDIT: Wow that was a quick 180 - Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition is on sale for $35. Sold. Almost grabbed Dragon Age Inquisition despite my troubled history, because it's the deluxe edition and it's only $5 - but I'm not taking a chance on ever having that corrupt save thing happening again, so nope. FFXV it is.

That's a lot of games. I've had The Last of Us Remastered since early last year but haven't gotten into it much. So many gotdamn games. We have a tough life  :metal
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5966 on: February 02, 2020, 07:52:40 AM »
Just finished Gears 2. I really enjoyed it. Some very nice setpieces and the pacing of the campaign is great. 8-10 hour linear games like this are nice now that I am busy with work/life.

Checked out Splinter Cell Convinction because it cost me 50 cents and the game is actually pretty slick. Maybe I'll actually continue playing it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5967 on: February 02, 2020, 02:00:11 PM »
I should be studying but I finally got to The Return of the Obra Dinn. Damn what an original and nice game, you basically have to be a time travel detective and identify each crew member of the ship and how they died. Love the 80s minicomputer aesthetic and the music is lovely.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5968 on: February 04, 2020, 07:52:41 AM »
I'm still only in chapter 2 (or 3?) of Red Dead 2, but this game is testing my patience. I need to carve out massive chunks of time to devote to playing it, because even an hour is not nearly enough to get anything done. Controls are bonkers, so much to remember. I got wanted by accidentally firing my gun into the air, then I had to leave town for a while. Then I accidentally kicked someone's fence while trying to figure out how to stop a horse and I got arrested for vandalism. WTF. Game is beautiful and a real delight when I remember to just 'slow down' and remember that the game will FORCE me to be meticulous and watch all the details, I can't just go in guns blazing rushing through everything like it's GTA. But man is it an exercise in patience especially knowing how long and complex this game is.

I'm also at the start of chapter 3 in FF15 and other than Cid making his obligatory cameo and the currency being 'gil' there is nothing - absolutely NOTHING (okay, I heard 'chocobo' once or twice) that indicates this is Final Fantasy. Can Square please just make a FF game with some castles and dragons again? Please? I like The Last Remnant but this game already stinks of that type of modern, western stylistic direction and I don't like that in FF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5969 on: February 04, 2020, 07:59:55 AM »
Controls are bonkers, so much to remember. I got wanted by accidentally firing my gun into the air, then I had to leave town for a while. Then I accidentally kicked someone's fence while trying to figure out how to stop a horse and I got arrested for vandalism. WTF.

:lol sounds like the first time I played with Chino, I kept getting the buttons messed up and ended up pissing my horse off, Chino helps me by feeding and petting it to calm the horse down.... I walk up to it and punch it in the face accidentally  :rollin I was laughing so hard but totally get your frustrations as there is just so much content and abilities that the controls are very confusing when first starting.  I still struggle a bit at times.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5970 on: February 04, 2020, 08:01:08 AM »
There was a great SNL skit with Adam Driver similar to that.   If memory serves, he was a dad trying to learn how to play Fortnite, and couldn't get the controls right.   It was funny. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5971 on: February 04, 2020, 08:03:35 AM »
And the shifting of the reticule while aiming. Hunting that deer in the mountains? OMFG. Took me 20 minutes because you have to stand a half mile away and focus on this teeny tiny area where the deer is, except Arthur is breathing and the reticule keeps bouncing up and down, for the love of god, man, HIT THE DEER! You can't even just walk up to someone and press X to talk either. You have to hold L2, then push a variety of buttons for whatever response you want. Want to recover your health? Hold L2, press R1, use the right analog stick to highlight an item, hold the stick there, RELEASE L2, omg 5 attempts later, let me eat my god damned canned beets already!!

Whew. Okay. I think that's all my frustrations vented. I'm having a blast with the game but those little things are my biggest complaints early on  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5972 on: February 04, 2020, 08:04:38 AM »
Controls are bonkers, so much to remember. I got wanted by accidentally firing my gun into the air, then I had to leave town for a while. Then I accidentally kicked someone's fence while trying to figure out how to stop a horse and I got arrested for vandalism. WTF.

:lol sounds like the first time I played with Chino, I kept getting the buttons messed up and ended up pissing my horse off, Chino helps me by feeding and petting it to calm the horse down.... I walk up to it and punch it in the face accidentally  :rollin I was laughing so hard but totally get your frustrations as there is just so much content and abilities that the controls are very confusing when first starting.  I still struggle a bit at times.

:rollin

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5973 on: February 04, 2020, 08:13:35 AM »
It does not help that RD2R controls quite sluggish/slow as well, compared to other modern animation driven action titles. RD2R even has almost half a second of input lag on certain actions on consoles, and on PC it is not much better (as per Digital Foundry).

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5974 on: February 04, 2020, 08:33:09 AM »
I could just be imagining it, but I find the controls on PC to be superior to console in just about every way.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #5975 on: February 04, 2020, 08:47:15 AM »
I've begun playing Death Stranding. Man, this is a weird game. I like it!
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5976 on: February 04, 2020, 09:31:50 AM »
It does not help that RD2R controls quite sluggish/slow as well, compared to other modern animation driven action titles. RD2R even has almost half a second of input lag on certain actions on consoles, and on PC it is not much better (as per Digital Foundry).

I thought I was just losing my mind or being impatient, but I'm glad you've verified that for me.

I have no doubt playing with a mouse and keyboard would eliminate 90% of my frustration just by the nature of how it controls - just gotta get used to the delay on input.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5977 on: February 04, 2020, 09:35:46 AM »
I think you can hook a keyboard and mouse up to PS4 and Xbox consoles.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5978 on: February 04, 2020, 09:38:11 AM »
Really? That would be cool, but then I'd be sitting there like a doofus with a mouse and keyboard on my lap in front of my coffee table, and my laptop's already there with a mouse and keyboard hooked up  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5979 on: February 04, 2020, 01:32:06 PM »
Pics or it didn't happen.  :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5980 on: February 04, 2020, 01:35:28 PM »
Pics or it didn't happen.  :)

I need me one of these beauties.

I could also use the CYCON COUCHMASTER for my couch gaming needs. Uuuuugh. I got douche chills typing that  :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5981 on: February 04, 2020, 05:00:29 PM »
Dan Houser leaving Rockstar?! This absolutely blows. There goes great writing
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5982 on: February 04, 2020, 05:05:42 PM »

Yeah that's a big loss for the company. I wonder if they've started on GTA6 at all, if he's contributed anything to it, and what that game will look like without him.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5983 on: February 05, 2020, 05:28:08 AM »

Honestly Red Dead 2 is the first time a Rockstar story resonated with me personally. The tone, setting and characters are up there with gaming's greatest in my opinion. Other Rockstar games I most certainly enjoyed in terms of writing, but they do not indicate irreplaceble writing for me personally.

I wonder where he will go, if he remains active in the gaming industry.

Purely based on the last 5-10 years, Sony is the best fit in the sense that they frequently give studios many years to envision big singleplayer AAA titles. Assuming that is what the guy wants to do. But I doubt many publishers will allow for the type of budgets and time the last couple of Rockstar games required in general.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5984 on: February 06, 2020, 11:22:41 AM »
You know a game's got you by the balls when before you go to bed, you realize, you won't be home tomorrow to keep your 50+ day daily challenge streak alive so you set your alarm to wake up early to get it in before going to work  :lol  Day 52 to be exact and I have hit 100 gold in RDR2.

and my RDR2 Online Fun Volume 5 is up, featuring my encounter during the snowy times of the holidays with Black Santa  :lol