Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479323 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #5285 on: July 27, 2019, 06:00:07 AM »
God of War didn't pick up for me until about half way through the game.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5286 on: July 30, 2019, 09:06:46 AM »
God of War didn't pick up for me until about half way through the game.

Interesting, did you end up loving it? It grabbed me from the get go. My only disappointment initially was the scope (coming from GoW3), but I ended up loving the more personal story with a small cast.

For me, it is ageing really well. Recently listened to the (in my opinion incredible) soundtrack and it recalled a couple of real goosebump moments for me, as well as the adventure as a whole. Plenty of games where I enjoy my time but kind of forget them in a couple of months. God of War definitely is not one of those for me.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5287 on: July 30, 2019, 09:47:49 AM »
I actually dont know how I feel about the ending. It was a little anticlimactic but I think what bothered me more was the companion story with the kid. I didn't really care for him as a character.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5288 on: July 30, 2019, 02:37:50 PM »
Interesting, did you end up loving it? It grabbed me from the get go. My only disappointment initially was the scope (coming from GoW3), but I ended up loving the more personal story with a small cast.

What do you mean by the scope?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5289 on: July 31, 2019, 07:14:42 AM »
I think God of War is a fantastic game with a fantastic story. That being said it's not perfect. There were a lot things that you can tell are being saved for the sequel (Thor, Odin, Asgard, etc.) so the ending was bit anti-climatic. I also felt that some of son's personality changes were really abrupt and could have been handled a bit better.

I did just start Spider Man and I'm enjoying that more than God of War overall. Both are great games, just personal preference. I'm mostly a Xbox guy but I bought a PS4 just for those two games and it was totally worth it. I do still feel that RDRII was the Game of the Year for 2018.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5290 on: July 31, 2019, 07:19:13 AM »
From what I played so far, I LOVE god of war.

Definitely my favorite of the series and it does an incredible job of engaging me on an emotional level. Even had me tearing up in parts. Its some powerful stuff.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5291 on: July 31, 2019, 07:12:26 PM »

What do you mean by the scope?

Well, God of War 3 was the end of a trilogy where you slay major boss after boss, but 2 wasn't all that different in that regard. Or even the other GoW games. GoW 2018 is in many ways (to me) a surprisingly restrained story with a small cast. The focus wasn't getting some artifact to save the world or killing some major god, it was ultimately a father and son fullfilling the last wish of the mother.

I personally loved the ending, I think all the themes of the game come together really well. And the potential for the sequels is huge. This is clearly part of a trilogy, but for a series so big and successful like this, I don't mind that.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5292 on: August 08, 2019, 09:16:23 AM »
No Man's Sky BEYOND Launch Trailer

Can't wait to try out VR and improvement on MP is not a day too late.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5293 on: August 08, 2019, 09:20:07 AM »

My PSVR has been down for the count. I can't get the firmware to update because it's throwing an error code pertaining to the USB slot on the processor unit. I ordered a new processor because I really want to try NMS in VR (I've never played it). I hope that fixes the problem I having with the system.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 09:35:21 AM by Chino »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5294 on: August 08, 2019, 09:29:33 AM »

My PSVR hasn't been down for the count. I can't get the firmware to update because it's throwing an error code pertaining to the USB slot on the processor unit. I ordered a new processor because I really want to try NMS in VR (I've never played it). I hope that fixes the problem I having with the system.
That's to bad, hopefully you get it sorted out.

Apparently the VR implementation is something else in NMS. The game has grown ALOT since it's somewhat let's say rocky release.  :lol I urge you to try it out even if you can't get VR to work.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5295 on: August 08, 2019, 10:59:31 AM »
I'm looking forward to this update but it'll most likely bring a host of new bugs they won't fix just like the last update.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5296 on: August 08, 2019, 11:42:34 AM »
I love No Mans Sky, jumped after Next launched and had a great time with it. I also love VR, so will check it out. But I really am curious how it will perform on base PS4, because some planets brought my PS4 on it's knees on normal mode last year. On the other hand, Sony has requirements for a game to be able to launch on VR and the previews on PS4
a couple of months back have been good/great (though I assume those sessions were on the pro).

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5297 on: August 14, 2019, 01:15:53 PM »
No Mang's Sky Beyond has released. Surprise fucking surprise it's buggy as shit. I haven't seen the game this buggy and I played it at launch and right when the other big updates came out. I've had several crashes including two that locked up my computer. Nice.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5298 on: August 14, 2019, 01:18:53 PM »
No Mang's Sky Beyond has released. Surprise fucking surprise it's buggy as shit. I haven't seen the game this buggy and I played it at launch and right when the other big updates came out. I've had several crashes including two that locked up my computer. Nice.

The people over at r/PSVR don't seem to be having issues other than having to recalibrate their peripherals. Maybe it's just the PC version.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5299 on: August 14, 2019, 01:31:25 PM »
Just played a session, didn't have any issue other than a random ship floating around at the player hub.  :lol

Haven't tried VR yet though.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5300 on: August 14, 2019, 02:04:35 PM »
I'm having rather good fun with the newest fire emblem on Switch.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5301 on: August 14, 2019, 05:08:24 PM »

The people over at r/PSVR don't seem to be having issues other than having to recalibrate their peripherals. Maybe it's just the PC version.

They're having crashes on consoles too but I think it seems to be mostly when players go into that multiplayer hub thing.

https://kotaku.com/players-say-no-mans-sky-beyond-is-crashing-and-develop-1837244236

I never had a problem with the previous updates but this one has crashed on me 5 or 6 times today. I'm one of the unlucky ones. I'm not too disappointed because this happened to lost of other players on the other updates. I'm sure there will be many patches coming out in the next couple weeks. Hopefully Hello Games will fix the major issues.

Edit: Interesting. I was just playing Dishonored Death of the Outsider and my computer locked up just like it's been doing with No Mang's Sky all day. Looks like the problem is on my end. I haven't been playing PC games lately. Today I installed an optional driver for my Radeon R9 290X. I'll go back to the other driver and see how this shitstem behaves.

Edit: Well the problem was my computer was overheating so I cleaned out all the DUST inside & outside. I had No Mang's Sky & Dishonored: Death of the Outsider running for about 3 & a half hours with no crashing.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 10:21:13 AM by Herrick »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5302 on: August 19, 2019, 02:05:17 AM »
Checked out No Mans Sky VR on the base PS4. Resolution is low but otherwise it is an excellent experience. Considering just last year the game barely ran at times on the base PS4 (some planets were really rough, like 15 fps), I am impressed such a small developer managed to do this. I can get used to the low resolution and think I will be visiting lots of planets in VR. I really like the game btw, jumped in when Next launched and put in about 40 hours since then. Combined with spotify on the PS4, I can listen to music while being immersed in all kinds of alien worlds.

If I can think of one improvement for VR I think they need to downgrade the textures and likes and improve the resolution, that tends to look better on PSVR in my opinion.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5303 on: August 19, 2019, 09:41:48 AM »
I managed to repair my PSVR last night and downloaded NMS this morning. I'm working from home today so only dipped my feet for about 10 minutes. I haven't really done anything yet.

I plan on playing with the DS4 controller, not the move controllers. The first thing that stood out to me was I think there's an issue with the multigun. Is there a way I can control its aim with the right joystick instead of the light/gyros on the controller. 1) I hate aiming with movement like that, and 2) when I hit R2 it defaults shooting to the left instead of straight. Is that normal?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5304 on: August 19, 2019, 10:02:24 AM »
Pokémon Go Safari Montreal tickets and DreamTheater tickets in the same week!!
Bam!

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5305 on: August 20, 2019, 06:25:20 AM »
I managed to repair my PSVR last night and downloaded NMS this morning. I'm working from home today so only dipped my feet for about 10 minutes. I haven't really done anything yet.

I plan on playing with the DS4 controller, not the move controllers. The first thing that stood out to me was I think there's an issue with the multigun. Is there a way I can control its aim with the right joystick instead of the light/gyros on the controller. 1) I hate aiming with movement like that, and 2) when I hit R2 it defaults shooting to the left instead of straight. Is that normal?

I ended up solving my tracking issue. I'm having a lot of fun in NMS in VR. I played for about 4 hours and for the life of me can't find copper anywhere :( 

I also downloaded the latest Wipeout game (it's free this month), and that game is off the fucking charts in VR. It was amazing from the get go, but I found a setting that increases your field of view in the cock pit and that made the gameplay really intense. Like I was straight up disoriented after my first race, in a good way.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #5306 on: August 20, 2019, 06:50:41 AM »
Anyone else pumped for Death Stranding?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5307 on: August 20, 2019, 09:00:14 AM »
I don't know what to expect form Death Stranding in terms of hour to hour gameplay sessions. But I am really curious. I love the cinematic footage thus far, in terms of gameplay I wonder how it all will come together (world/mission design, amount of tension etc.).

I ended up solving my tracking issue. I'm having a lot of fun in NMS in VR. I played for about 4 hours and for the life of me can't find copper anywhere :( 

I also downloaded the latest Wipeout game (it's free this month), and that game is off the fucking charts in VR. It was amazing from the get go, but I found a setting that increases your field of view in the cock pit and that made the gameplay really intense. Like I was straight up disoriented after my first race, in a good way.

WipeOut is probably my favourite VR experience. That game just works so well and it has a lot of options to tailor to your needs. A great amount of content as well, due to it being a collection of classic games.

And yes, No Mans Sky is great in VR.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #5308 on: August 20, 2019, 09:03:50 AM »
Is PS+ required for No Man's Sky?

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5309 on: August 20, 2019, 09:05:48 AM »

Not really. I haven't even looked at any preview stuff. I've no idea what the game is about. I'll wait for it to come out and check out some reviews.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5310 on: August 20, 2019, 09:11:08 AM »
Is PS+ required for No Man's Sky?

No. For MP it is required, but I usually play SP.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5311 on: August 20, 2019, 09:12:25 AM »
I don't know what to expect form Death Stranding in terms of hour to hour gameplay sessions. But I am really curious. I love the cinematic footage thus far, in terms of gameplay I wonder how it all will come together (world/mission design, amount of tension etc.).

WipeOut is probably my favourite VR experience. That game just works so well and it has a lot of options to tailor to your needs. A great amount of content as well, due to it being a collection of classic games.

And yes, No Mans Sky is great in VR.

Have you ever tried Dirt Rally in VR? That's another really good racing game.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #5312 on: August 21, 2019, 09:51:04 PM »

Not really. I haven't even looked at any preview stuff. I've no idea what the game is about. I'll wait for it to come out and check out some reviews.
Nobody knows what it's about...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5313 on: August 21, 2019, 10:22:51 PM »

Nobody knows what it's about...

Definitely sounds like a game to be excited about.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5314 on: August 22, 2019, 06:45:08 AM »
I haven't played PUBG in sooo long, they've updated quite a bit to the game including a nice upgrade in graphics.  Got 4 kills in Pecado and haven't felt that good in awhile  :lol Man, I miss how fun this game used to be.  It'll never be as good as that first year in beta.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5315 on: August 22, 2019, 07:32:40 AM »

I'm cautiously optimistic. Right now it just looks like a walking simulator. I also think Kojima loves being weird for the sake of being weird and that's not always a good thing.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5316 on: August 22, 2019, 03:52:10 PM »
I was underwhelmed by Phantom pain, so I will be approaching this next project with cautious optimism

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #5317 on: August 22, 2019, 06:36:43 PM »
Old School Runescape.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5318 on: August 22, 2019, 06:47:24 PM »
Omg the Dragon Quest XI S demo is out for Switch. I have been waiting for this game ever since they announced it was coming to Switch at the very start of 2017. And the demo is 10 hours long. I've never really been a Dragon Quest fan but I've been so excited for this game and I'm finally gonna play some of it in a few minutes. Hero coming to Smash only helped build my excitement.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5319 on: August 23, 2019, 01:06:06 PM »
I was underwhelmed by Phantom pain, so I will be approaching this next project with cautious optimism

I thought the gameplay was easily the best of the series but the story was meh.