Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 481713 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #4865 on: February 13, 2019, 07:45:32 PM »
I tried to give it (FF IX) a go when they released it on PC but the extremely low resolution backgrounds did not upscale well and I couldn't get past it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4866 on: February 13, 2019, 08:02:54 PM »
I tried to give it (FF IX) a go when they released it on PC but the extremely low resolution backgrounds did not upscale well and I couldn't get past it.

The Switch version looks great so far, for what it's worth. I'm really digging it. HD PS1 graphics; there's some blurriness to the backgrounds but not distractingly so in my opinion. I wasn't really a fan of this style back when it was new, though.

EDIT: Oh, it looks like the Switch version is just the port of the PC version. The text kind of gave it away, but oh well. I dig the visuals.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 08:10:19 PM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4867 on: February 14, 2019, 04:55:59 AM »
I just started God of War yesterday and wow, what a gorgeous game with a gorgeous soundtrack. Holy hell Atreusis annoying though.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4868 on: February 14, 2019, 05:14:24 AM »
no
I highly recommend to check them out. Great SP games that's always pushed the boundaries on the latest hardware tech and benchmark games like Crysis did back in the day.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4869 on: February 14, 2019, 09:48:45 AM »
Finally home to try out Apex Legends

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4870 on: February 14, 2019, 11:45:02 AM »
hollow knight sequel and I am incredibly online
https://youtu.be/pFAknD_9U7c

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4871 on: February 14, 2019, 05:36:45 PM »
if anyone wants to play apex let me know, my brother and I are always looking for a third.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4872 on: February 15, 2019, 02:38:12 PM »
if anyone wants to play apex let me know, my brother and I are always looking for a third.

Yea man.  I played with some friends last night and it's kind of tough to find a 3rd so I'm down joining you guys or you are welcome to join us as well.  Playing with people together makes a huge difference in these games.  I had 3 #2 finishes once I started playing with my friends vs. just doing randoms while I'm trying to learn the game. 

I'm cramx3 on origin if you want to add me

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4873 on: February 15, 2019, 07:49:11 PM »
Just sent you a request, SchnastyMcNasty is my name

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4874 on: February 15, 2019, 08:27:19 PM »
 :lol with my family tonight, but I expect to be on a lot tomorrow

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #4875 on: February 15, 2019, 08:29:43 PM »
Bought Kingdom Come: Deliverance the other day and played it all last night. Got about 7 hours in and had to restart due to a game breaking bug....

It’s still really fun though so far, what little I’ve done. It looks really great. Still sucks that I had to restart due to a gate not opening.
Been playing this for a few nights now. Really sucks you in. The swordplay component is very good and hard to master. It's challenging as all-fuck, but still entertaining and quite satisfying when you beat somebody twice as well armed and armored than you. In Skyrim you literally just beat people to death with a sword. Here you really have to wield it accurately. Button mashing will get you killed PDQ.

And carousing all night with the town priest was hysterical. That guy can party.

Wow that game still has game-breaking bugs? It was super buggy when it came out last February. It's definitely a fun & unique game but I had to stop do to the bugs. I'll get back into it one of these days...and I'll definitely be waiting for a major sale on the second game if/when it comes out.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4876 on: February 17, 2019, 01:26:30 PM »
Bought Kingdom Come: Deliverance the other day and played it all last night. Got about 7 hours in and had to restart due to a game breaking bug....

It’s still really fun though so far, what little I’ve done. It looks really great. Still sucks that I had to restart due to a gate not opening.
Been playing this for a few nights now. Really sucks you in. The swordplay component is very good and hard to master. It's challenging as all-fuck, but still entertaining and quite satisfying when you beat somebody twice as well armed and armored than you. In Skyrim you literally just beat people to death with a sword. Here you really have to wield it accurately. Button mashing will get you killed PDQ.

And carousing all night with the town priest was hysterical. That guy can party.

Wow that game still has game-breaking bugs? It was super buggy when it came out last February. It's definitely a fun & unique game but I had to stop do to the bugs. I'll get back into it one of these days...and I'll definitely be waiting for a major sale on the second game if/when it comes out.
His post about the game-breaking bug was from a year ago. I've been playing it quite a bit and haven't had any such problem. I'm running 1.8.4 and the closest thing I've found to a bug is a guy with a meaningless map marker. Presumably he'll have some dialogue later. So far I've found it nowhere near as buggy Bethesda's offerings, and Darkhorse fixed their own problems without relying on modders to fix it.  :lol

I've been enjoying it quite a bit, but it's definitely kind of slow. You don't get into a lot of combat on your own, and half the time when you do you have to run away like a little bitch because there are 8 guys attacking you. It's not one of those games where you just kick all of their asses. Discretion is vitally important.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4877 on: February 17, 2019, 01:58:16 PM »
I picked up Metro Exodus.

The graphics are excellent and the gameplay is pretty decent. Enjoying it so far

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #4878 on: February 17, 2019, 02:21:57 PM »
Really happy to see someone else playing Kingdom Come. I really enjoyed my time with it. I sunk about 80 hours into it before finishing it. I want to go back and play it again and do more of the side quests. I stuck to the main quest mainly and would start a lot of side quests but then forget about it and then fail them because the person moved on and didn't wait for me. I loved that.

I love the mission with the priest! To think that you can completely miss that part if you decline his invite to drink. I love when you have to deliver the sermon. The writing was really good for that mission. There's quite a few great moments like that. Daniel Vavra, the guy that wrote it does a great job with writing dialogue and creating interesting set pieces.

I might have to start it again, now that there are some new DLCs for it, including one involving Hans Capon.

You are right though, there are times that it's frustrating because there are many times where you have to run away because you don't have the skill to sword fight. I found the Baptism By Fire quest where you raid Pribyslavitz to be the worst because I literally waited in the background for the others to kill everyone while I would find isolated guys to take on.

Have you gotten to the Monastery quest line yet, El Barto?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4879 on: February 17, 2019, 02:58:20 PM »
I picked up Metro Exodus.

The graphics are excellent and the gameplay is pretty decent. Enjoying it so far
Nice, I play it the way it should be with Russian language and english text. :yarr The english voiceovers have always been terrible in the series. I also turn off hitboxes and crosshair.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4880 on: February 17, 2019, 08:07:32 PM »
4 wins in Apex today  :metal :metal :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4881 on: February 18, 2019, 06:17:13 AM »
Nice! How do you like it so far?

I'm having a great time with the few exceptions when I'm paired with a shit team

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4882 on: February 18, 2019, 09:49:11 AM »
I'm loving it, love the heros and their abilities.  Adds so much to the game.  Seems like yetserday things finally clicked with me though and I was no longer getting my ass kicked but doing some ass kicking.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4883 on: February 18, 2019, 10:13:12 AM »
Really happy to see someone else playing Kingdom Come. I really enjoyed my time with it. I sunk about 80 hours into it before finishing it. I want to go back and play it again and do more of the side quests. I stuck to the main quest mainly and would start a lot of side quests but then forget about it and then fail them because the person moved on and didn't wait for me. I loved that.

I love the mission with the priest! To think that you can completely miss that part if you decline his invite to drink. I love when you have to deliver the sermon. The writing was really good for that mission. There's quite a few great moments like that. Daniel Vavra, the guy that wrote it does a great job with writing dialogue and creating interesting set pieces.

I might have to start it again, now that there are some new DLCs for it, including one involving Hans Capon.

You are right though, there are times that it's frustrating because there are many times where you have to run away because you don't have the skill to sword fight. I found the Baptism By Fire quest where you raid Pribyslavitz to be the worst because I literally waited in the background for the others to kill everyone while I would find isolated guys to take on.

Have you gotten to the Monastery quest line yet, El Barto?
I stumbled across Pribyslavitz by accident. Killed the first two "guards," but got hurt in the process. Once I realized that more "guards" were on the way I GTFO. I'll let Sir Radzik deal with those maniacs.

I've been taking the opposite approach and doing the oddball stuff rather than the storyline missions. I played the main quest long enough to get to Sir Bernard to better learn swordplay, and then started doing my own thing. That includes the monastery bit, where I ran into what you described. A couple of the tasks expired before I finished them. I really didn't know that would happen. Thankfully, Johana was such a bitch I didn't mind bungling them. I also dropped one because I didn't ride all the way back to show the guy the brick before briefing Sir Divish (and porking his wife). Now I'm a lot more mindful about taking on more side jobs than I can reasonably handle.

My problem is that so many of the random encounters involve 6 guys. Maybe it's just a bandit or two, or maybe it's a half dozen Cumans. My sword play is good enough now that I'll fight any number of bandits, but more than a couple of Cumans and I'll rabbit. I'll fight three of them, but only if two are archers that hang back (and ideally hit the guy I'm engaging once or twice  :lol). Once you've got two well equipped knights circling you it gets problematic. You'll hold your own for a few minutes scoring hits against both of them, and then out of nowhere the guy behind you cuts you down in 3 seconds flat.

The biggest part was finding a sword that really suited my particular style. I really like that the swordplay mechanics allow for such consideration. I found a short-sword that has pretty good defensive capabilities and massive stabbing damage, yet still enough slashing damage to slice up poorly armored bandits. For Cumans I usually switch to a war-hammer if they're wearing plate armor. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4884 on: February 19, 2019, 01:36:49 PM »
I'm loving it, love the heros and their abilities.  Adds so much to the game.  Seems like yetserday things finally clicked with me though and I was no longer getting my ass kicked but doing some ass kicking.

And my first game winning kill: https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1097666629570306048

followed by my first highlight video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvej43iWqjg
^ the random guys I played with in the start of this video are like my biggest fans now  :lol I followed the one guys twitch stream and he watched my video on his stream commenting.  Was kind of cool and while he only had 9 people including myself and likely him watching, it felt sort of flattering to watch someone not only enjoy my video but share it with others.  Probably only because he was in it, but still cool how a random (very dumb) game encounter turned into more of a friendship in a way.
(twitch clip of them talking about me https://clips.twitch.tv/LitigiousBeautifulSalmonShadyLulu)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4885 on: February 19, 2019, 01:51:31 PM »
Still on vacations so I've been playing lots of games lately, like The Silent Age (pretty cool and short, minimalist time-travel adventure title), FEZ (finally got to play it properly and finish it, beautiful game), and Silence of the Sleep (ok-ish psychological horror game with neat aesthetic and music, but really lame controls, and a confusing story).

Now, on to play Psychonauts  :metal

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4886 on: February 19, 2019, 01:53:58 PM »

And my first game winning kill: https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1097666629570306048

followed by my first highlight video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvej43iWqjg
^ the random guys I played with in the start of this video are like my biggest fans now  :lol I followed the one guys twitch stream and he watched my video on his stream commenting.  Was kind of cool and while he only had 9 people including myself and likely him watching, it felt sort of flattering to watch someone not only enjoy my video but share it with others.  Probably only because he was in it, but still cool how a random (very dumb) game encounter turned into more of a friendship in a way.
(twitch clip of them talking about me https://clips.twitch.tv/LitigiousBeautifulSalmonShadyLulu)
I guess I'm just an old fuck, but that doesn't look like much fun to me. It's so fast there's no deliberation. I did a helluva lot of death-match gaming many years ago and enjoyed it a great deal. But back then it allowed for thought and strategy, which were just as, if not more important than lightning reflexes.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4887 on: February 19, 2019, 02:46:32 PM »
If you watched my clip, there's no strategy since its just highlights that focus on kills and stupid voice chats.  Trust me, there is tons of strategy in that game and you need it to win.  Having heroes in the battle royale adds a new level of strategy that isn't in PUBG and isn't just about clicking fast.  It's much more complicated than death match, but you wouldn't get any of that from watching my highlight videos.  I talk more strat when I do my winning videos although even then I edit a lot of that out because it's just boring, but I guarantee if you saw a full game played you would see discussion between the three member team about where to go, when you use your special abilities, how to attack a team, and so on.  It's just not, from my perspective, entertaining to watch that slowly play out. 

But I will agree, the game is fast paced and being quicker will make you better.  The game is actually slower than Call of Duty though, but faster than PUBG. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4888 on: February 20, 2019, 12:14:37 PM »
After 4 months I finally finished Red Dead Redemption 2 to 100%. Even after all that time (and some tedious side quests) the game never felt like a chore. Easily the best game I've ever played to date.

Up next: The Tomb Raider Trilogy

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4889 on: February 20, 2019, 12:17:12 PM »
After 4 months I finally finished Red Dead Redemption 2 to 100%. Even after all that time (and some tedious side quests) the game never felt like a chore. Easily the best game I've ever played to date.

Nice. Does anything crazy happen when you reach that goal?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4890 on: February 20, 2019, 12:20:28 PM »
Has the online gotten better in that game?  Must say, I felt talk of it has faded pretty quickly.  It obviously did really well and people all around liked it, but I felt like a few months after the last GTA and people were still very actively talking about it.  Maybe that's just my perception.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4891 on: February 20, 2019, 12:45:01 PM »
Has the online gotten better in that game?  Must say, I felt talk of it has faded pretty quickly.  It obviously did really well and people all around liked it, but I felt like a few months after the last GTA and people were still very actively talking about it.  Maybe that's just my perception.

I think it's shit TBH. Damn shame too. I was more excited for Online than I was for the single player. There's absolutely nothing to do if you're playing with friends, and if you're just looking to dick around solo, you might as well just play the single player mode.

I'm still holding out hope that once it comes out of beta it'll be like a whole new experience.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 01:09:56 PM by Chino »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4892 on: February 20, 2019, 12:49:38 PM »
I was fearing the online wasn't going over too well.  I don't know anyone playing it and on twitch there's less than 1k watching people play RDR2 which is really bad, like theres 41k watching GTAV.  I don't think that one stat is all in terms of a games popularity, but it certainly is surprising because I thought this game would be a top game throughout 2019 and it seems like it's mostly faded from the spotlight already.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4893 on: February 20, 2019, 01:09:43 PM »
I'm honestly shocked by how little there is. I get that GTA-O has been around a while and has had stuff incrementally added to it over the years, but I feel like RDR-O has less in it than GTA-O had when it launched. I expected RDR-O to launch with a shitload of missions, cool wagons with armor, upgrade-able camps with personal horse stables,  train and saloon safe heists, etc... but there's absolutely nothing to do. There are a handful of missions that are buggy as hell and not much else. My buddy and I got on for the first time in over a month last weekend, and after about 20 minutes decided to play rocket league instead.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4894 on: February 21, 2019, 07:21:58 AM »

Nice. Does anything crazy happen when you reach that goal?

There is a small cut scene but not much considering the amount of time spent completing everything.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4895 on: February 21, 2019, 02:30:57 PM »
Playing through Oracle of Ages/Seasons again. Played through them many years ago. Don't remember anything about them so they obviously didn't make much of an impression. The handheld Zelda games never did with me.

Meanwhile, Doug FUCKING Bowser will be the new president of Nintendo of America.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190221005804/en/Nintendo-America’s-Reggie-Fils-Aime-Retire-Doug-Bowser

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4896 on: February 21, 2019, 04:20:05 PM »
Oh man I loved the handheld Zelda games and I think Capcom did a fantastic job with the series. I do prefer Link's Awakening to their games but they took the style and came up with some cool stories and concepts. The one I never beat was Minish Cap because I just could not get passed the third final boss phase.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4897 on: February 21, 2019, 04:28:27 PM »
Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages, & Oracle of Seasons are incredible games, but none of the handhelds (save remakes) after them have done anything for me. Always vastly preferred Ages to Seasons (Skull Dungeon music is the best dungeon music), but Link's Awakening is the best imo. The remake announcement had me squealing with joy.

Sad to see Reggie go, I hope Bowser is as charismatic and attentive to the fans. :neverusethis:

Also finally achieved enlightenment with Ganondorf in Smash by reaching elite smash
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4898 on: February 21, 2019, 04:37:54 PM »
Minish Cap was actually my favorite handheld game (haven't played Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks or LBW. I didn't enjoy Link's Awakening much. So much wasn't intuitive to me. I think I lost patience and referred to a guide a lot. Honestly not understanding of the praise it seems to get.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4899 on: February 21, 2019, 06:36:50 PM »
Minish Cap was actually my favorite handheld game (haven't played Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks or LBW. I didn't enjoy Link's Awakening much. So much wasn't intuitive to me. I think I lost patience and referred to a guide a lot. Honestly not understanding of the praise it seems to get.

SPOILERS for Link's Awakening!

That is definitely a problem with that game and many other games of its time. A big draw to the game for me - beyond the obvious facts that it has no Zelda, Ganon, Hyrule, or Triforce - is the existential crisis in the plot. The island is a dream, but it is so very real during the game. Did Link actually have an adventure, or was it all a dream? At the end, when he wakes the Wind Fish and leaves the island, the island disappears - did a bunch of lives vanish, or was it all an illusion? If they vanished, were they 'real' lives, swept away, or more illusions? Link is the only person or thing left at the end of it all, and I imagine him as a character getting attached to the people he meets along the way, specifically Marin. Then she just completely goes away, but we're not completely sure if the island was entirely a dream, or a real thing made up by a flying fish god. It's an approach no other Zelda game takes with its story and I LOVE it, as simple as it is.

But beyond that I just think the gameplay is amazing. The 2-item thing is really annoying because you have to switch items out a lot but the gameplay and design and music are all so good I can easily forgive it.