Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 481553 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #4165 on: March 27, 2018, 11:28:46 PM »
Can't disagree there. Most of the characters in both games were compelling, even a side character like Mira, or hell even HK-47. The only other games I can remember playing recently where I found the characters and story equally as compelling and engaging are Mass Effect I and II. I was reading a thoughtful article about how, despite the quality, depth, and complexity of the KotOR story, such a narrative could never be used in a SW motion picture. The film industry is geared toward what we got with TFA/TLJ. It wasn't a criticism, just an interesting analysis about what you can do these days in a video game compared to what you are required to do in a bug budget Hollywood film.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4166 on: March 28, 2018, 08:19:58 AM »
Just finished Knights of the Old Republic 2. I had the mod that apparently fixed some of the issues with the original release, but I can't comment on any of that since I don't know the history of it all. Fun game, didn't mess with the formula from the masterpiece of the KotOR.  Now doing some reading about the Mandalorian Wars and the Jedi Civil Wars. I am not an EU guy, but I am finding this fascinating.

I found the story engaging but it lost me a bit toward the end, but I was not always totally focused on the dialogue and cut-scenes, as I was often playing with my infant daughter in my lap and felt somewhat obligated to pay some attention to her as well. Being a dad can be rough.

I totally agree. The story just kind of fizzles out and that's why I put it down. KOTOR 1, you are always driving forward. Driving toward something and I like that. There was always distinct focus.

That being said, a poor "legit" KOTOR game is still better than 70% of the stuff they put out now, and KOTOR online did nothing for me what so ever. I would love to get a KOTOR 3 one day.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #4167 on: March 30, 2018, 01:29:28 AM »
I never thought I'd say this but I am having one hell of a good time with Far Cry 5. As someone that pretty much shunned 4, merely "liked" 3 (Vaas was great but that's all Michael Mando, not the game itself), once I heard 5 was supposedly just changing locale and refining some mechanics, I was pretty much done with the series when the really creative awesomeness that is Blood Dragon was basically thrown by the wayside (I'd still absolutely kill for a fully fleshed out game like that).

But dreams aside, this game is a lot more singular than I thought it'd be. The premise is pretty ludicrous (in relation to the mostly realistic world they're trying to create) and The Father is merely an okay antagonist (so far, at least), but the gameplay is so very fun and it's a lot more inviting than 4 was. Maybe it's my time away from the series and not having played a game like this for a while but I feel like there's a lot more effort put into it than the previous couple of entries. By this time in my playthrough of the previous entries I was finding it a chore to go through the enemies' camps and really tiring of the looting. Maybe that will happen with this one but at the very least it'll be a lot further down the line than the last two.

I still feel like at the end of this though I'll be daydreaming of a Far Cry 6 with the world and mechanics of this but based in the Blood Dragon world.  :lol

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4168 on: March 30, 2018, 04:49:33 AM »
I'm going to buying Far Cry 5 soon. I've seen some reviews where people say the game isn't that good and it's just more far cry but I'm ok with that. I love the Far Cry series.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4169 on: March 30, 2018, 05:15:49 AM »
I never thought I'd say this but I am having one hell of a good time with Far Cry 5. As someone that pretty much shunned 4, merely "liked" 3 (Vaas was great but that's all Michael Mando, not the game itself), once I heard 5 was supposedly just changing locale and refining some mechanics, I was pretty much done with the series when the really creative awesomeness that is Blood Dragon was basically thrown by the wayside (I'd still absolutely kill for a fully fleshed out game like that).

But dreams aside, this game is a lot more singular than I thought it'd be. The premise is pretty ludicrous (in relation to the mostly realistic world they're trying to create) and The Father is merely an okay antagonist (so far, at least), but the gameplay is so very fun and it's a lot more inviting than 4 was. Maybe it's my time away from the series and not having played a game like this for a while but I feel like there's a lot more effort put into it than the previous couple of entries. By this time in my playthrough of the previous entries I was finding it a chore to go through the enemies' camps and really tiring of the looting. Maybe that will happen with this one but at the very least it'll be a lot further down the line than the last two.

I still feel like at the end of this though I'll be daydreaming of a Far Cry 6 with the world and mechanics of this but based in the Blood Dragon world.  :lol

I'm glad to hear that. I looked at the reviews and hesitated before making the purchase, but maybe I'll check it out after all. From what I've seen so far, it looks pretty cool.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4170 on: March 30, 2018, 06:09:10 AM »
I can't wait to play Far Cry 5. I loved the third installment, and the fourth was cool, but it felt no different than three.

Online kaos2900

« Reply #4171 on: March 30, 2018, 08:09:28 AM »
Far Cry 5 is sitting patiently to be played until I complete Witcher 3.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #4172 on: March 30, 2018, 08:12:25 AM »
I'll eventually get to Far Cry 5. Has anyone here played the rerelease of 3 on consoles that came with the special editions? 3 is one of my favorite games of the last few years but it didn't run very well on console. I'd be very happy if the PS4/Xbox One version of it ran as well as 4 did (which was a more technically solid game than 3 but the setting, characters and atmosphere were utter garbage)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4173 on: April 02, 2018, 10:42:23 AM »
For any PUBG PC players.... https://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1652133167143846555

Just got my key for the experimental test server for access to play the new smaller map tonight.  Really looking forward to trying this out for a faster pace game.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4174 on: April 03, 2018, 02:21:21 PM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4175 on: April 03, 2018, 02:26:52 PM »
Never played a Final Fantasy game. Just not my thing, which might not be fair to say never having played one.

Staring Deus Ex Mankind Divided next after recently finishing Human Revolution. On sale at Steam for like 80% off.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4176 on: April 04, 2018, 11:08:06 AM »
Just got Farcry 5 yesterday. I thoroughly am enjoying and the atmosphere/tone is excellent. I am loving this story/set up.

The graphics are gorgeous as well.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4177 on: April 05, 2018, 05:08:53 AM »
Neat Farcry 2 vs Farcry 5 video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCeEvQ68jY8&feature=youtu.be

Makes me want to replay the farcry series.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #4178 on: April 05, 2018, 04:00:38 PM »
Only a couple of hours into FC5 but I'm getting into it now. The gameplay loop is a little more obtuse than it was in 3 and 4 but a bit of a shakeup was probably needed so that's fine

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4179 on: April 06, 2018, 10:04:18 AM »
Waiting for God of War in 2 weeks.  Hell, I might even get the PS4 Pro GoW bundle.  God knows, 1TB of memory just isn't enough.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4180 on: April 06, 2018, 10:05:23 AM »
I want a PS4 for that new Spiderman game soooo badly.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #4181 on: April 06, 2018, 10:13:03 AM »
Waiting for God of War in 2 weeks.  Hell, I might even get the PS4 Pro GoW bundle.  God knows, 1TB of memory just isn't enough.  :lol

I'm finding myself indifferent to the new God of War but I just know that once it's out I'll crack and buy it

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #4182 on: April 08, 2018, 08:08:17 PM »
Does anyone around here play Fortnite? I'm always looking for new people to team up with in Fortnite.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4183 on: April 09, 2018, 04:45:21 AM »
Yea I play on PC. I've been enjoying the rocket matches recently.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #4184 on: April 09, 2018, 06:43:14 AM »
I'm kind of interested in trying one of these battle royale type games but I'm so bad at multiplayer shooters. Unreal Tournament 2003 is the only one I was ever any use at, and obviously that's going back a bit...

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4185 on: April 09, 2018, 06:46:33 AM »
I'm kind of interested in trying one of these battle royale type games but I'm so bad at multiplayer shooters. Unreal Tournament 2003 is the only one I was ever any use at, and obviously that's going back a bit...

I genuinely hate Fornite. The building element really kills it for me. I think it's cool that there is an ability to build stuff, but I hate the instant spawning of objects. It always comes down to two people spawning walls in front of each other. Rumor has it Red Dead Redemption 2 will have this as a game mode.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:50:13 AM by Chino »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4186 on: April 09, 2018, 07:39:27 AM »

I genuinely hate Fornite. The building element really kills it for me. I think it's cool that there is an ability to build stuff, but I hate the instant spawning of object. It always comes down to two people spawning walls in front of each other. Rumor has it Red Dead Redemption 2 will have this as a game mode.

It's only a matter of time before a top notch gaming company makes a premiere battle royale type game.  Neither PUBG nor Fortnite get the game just right IMO.  I'm not sure RDR2 will be that game since those games were never good shooter games, but certainly has some good potential.  I could see BR being big in the next Battlefield or there's a new game Mavericks being worked on. 

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4187 on: April 09, 2018, 09:12:05 AM »

I'm finding myself indifferent to the new God of War but I just know that once it's out I'll crack and buy it

It will be different than what we're used to seeing, but it's God of War.  There is no way I wouldn't get it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4188 on: April 09, 2018, 03:34:27 PM »
I'm not the greatest Fortnite player, but me and a few friends started playing fairly recently and have been enjoying it for the most part. Shoot me a friend request, username is Puppies_On_Acid, and we can do some duos or squads sometime. I typically will stream my Fortnite matches on Twitch too, if you are interested.

I loved Unreal Tournament. I played all of them. I've always wanted to get back in to that. Capture the flag was always the most fun for me.

Fortnite is a good Battle Royale game to get in to because it's free to play and there are no pay to win mechanics.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4189 on: April 09, 2018, 03:40:22 PM »

It will be different than what we're used to seeing, but it's God of War.  There is no way I wouldn't get it.

That, FF15 and Spiderman make me want the PS4 badly. I haven't played God of War since God of War 2 but holy crap does the new one look amazing.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4190 on: April 09, 2018, 03:42:35 PM »

That, FF15 and Spiderman make me want the PS4 badly. I haven't played God of War since God of War 2 but holy crap does the new one look amazing.
The new Spiderman looks so good. Fortunately FF15 is on PC as well. I have a PS4, but I prefer playing games on the PC.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4191 on: April 09, 2018, 03:58:44 PM »
I'm not the greatest Fortnite player, but me and a few friends started playing fairly recently and have been enjoying it for the most part. Shoot me a friend request, username is Puppies_On_Acid, and we can do some duos or squads sometime. I typically will stream my Fortnite matches on Twitch too, if you are interested.

I loved Unreal Tournament. I played all of them. I've always wanted to get back in to that. Capture the flag was always the most fun for me.

Fortnite is a good Battle Royale game to get in to because it's free to play and there are no pay to win mechanics.

I see there's a new BR style game being released for free tomorrow, Radical Heights.  I like the 80s theme of it, but it otherwise doesn't look too interesting, but for free, it's probably worth a try, similar to Fortnite.  No point in paying for PUBG if you can play these other games that are similar for free if you are just testing out this type of game.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4192 on: April 10, 2018, 01:31:41 PM »

PS4 rocks!  I've had mine for about 2 1/2 years.  Love it and it streams movies like you can't believe.  Of course it does so much more.  You can also play GoW III Remastered which was originally made for PS3.  :tup

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4193 on: April 11, 2018, 11:54:30 AM »
So i've had Euro Truck Simulator 2 for a while, played it a bit because it's a nice and calm game driving from A to B delivering cargo, it's a satisfying feeling when you arrive at your destination.

Anyway one thing was missing though and that's a steering wheel so this weekend I treated myself with a steering wheel (Logitech G920) that also came with pedals with clutch and break. I also bought a gearbox. Along with my TrackIR I know have a proper driving rig.
It's ridiculously fun now, I just need to learn using 13 or 18 gears more efficently.
I guess the only thing missing is a proper 18 style shifter knob like this: https://csio.tech/product/skrs-official-v01
:blob:

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #4194 on: April 11, 2018, 05:24:17 PM »
The new God of War looks fantastic, I'm definitely excited for that.

I've been replaying the original Dark Souls in anticipation for the remaster, and I was inspired to start this pixel art (also posted in the creativity thread!):

Would absolutely love to recreate my quality build, claymore-wielding character from my first playthrough.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4195 on: April 17, 2018, 11:30:53 PM »
Finally got my first Solo win on Fortnite the other day. Actually kind of surprised myself.  :lol Haven't won again since though  :yeahright
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/250947186
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4196 on: April 18, 2018, 01:55:21 PM »
I see there's a new BR style game being released for free tomorrow, Radical Heights.  I like the 80s theme of it, but it otherwise doesn't look too interesting, but for free, it's probably worth a try, similar to Fortnite.  No point in paying for PUBG if you can play these other games that are similar for free if you are just testing out this type of game.

Been playing Radical Heights a lot the last week.  Really fun free BR game.  It plays more like fort nite, but without the building and a cash system for loot.  I find that dropping the building, the game is just simpler and easier to play.  Love the 80s theme of it as well.  However, it seems fortnite took away some of the developers of Radical Heights and I feel like this game will never leave early access so there's not much reason to invest in playing this game long term.  Sucks because I've gotten so sick of PUBG and I don't really enjoy fortnite.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4197 on: April 18, 2018, 07:41:54 PM »
Haven't heard of Radical Heights but I'd like to give it a shot.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4198 on: April 19, 2018, 08:23:34 AM »
Haven't heard of Radical Heights but I'd like to give it a shot.

Yea, worth a shot since it's free and a small download.  They released the first update yesterday so that was nice to see.

I've got to say though, I keep coming back to Sea of Thieves.  Since no one else wants to play with me anymore, I end up joining random ships so my only issue is I have to join/leave/rejoin games multiple times before I land with a team that talks and wants to have some fun while playing.  I've gotten onto a lot of really fun ships and when a team has a good thing going, it's really hard to stop us.  We sink ships left and right which is so satisfying.  Also it's become a mostly xbox game so as a PC player, I almost always slaughter anyone I am fighting against because I can move so much better with the keyboard/mouse.  I don't think I've ever experienced this before where I can actually see how sluggish the xbox players are on the same platform as a PC player.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4199 on: April 19, 2018, 08:34:20 AM »
There's a plethora of existing and upcoming BR games.

Maverick: Proving Grounds might be the most ambitious of them all which of course dosen't mean it will fullfill it's promises but it sounds interesting atleast.

Dying Light: Bad Blood, I really enjoyed the base game but yea we'll see about this one.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls