Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479269 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #3955 on: January 08, 2018, 06:48:06 PM »
It really irks me that the "G" is even there because PUB is such a great acronym and it'd be more accurate since battlegrounds is one word. I know single words are split up sometimes but in this case it works both ways.

I'm still playing Prey and BOTW. Loving both in different ways. Prey, I'm still on my Hard mode Human-only run, which is starting to get really tough (those fucking zero gravity sections are a serious bitch without Typhon powers). BOTW is...it's amazing how different and yet similar all at once the game feels to other Zelda games, but the difficulty is by far the weirdest thing given that I used to play Zelda games (and still do, the old ones) to relax and with this one I find myself dying more often than I do in many other games that have always been known for being difficult, let alone in a series geared towards kids and casual adventuring. It's great, but it's definitely jarring at times.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3956 on: January 08, 2018, 06:49:48 PM »
1. Okami
2. Team Fortress 2
3. Kid Icarus: Uprising
4. Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (2005)
5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (may be replaced later)
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3957 on: January 09, 2018, 09:10:22 AM »
I beat Xenoblade Chronicles 2 last night, at about 102 hours. I have to say... I've had 'perception whiplash' for lack of a better term to describe this game. First I was intrigued, then I had fun, then I was ready to give up, then I got back into it, and for the last half of the game things just got better and better all the way to the end. It takes a long time to really get the story going but even then there's still a ton of story left to experience, and there are a LOT of little problems, but this is a stellar RPG. I sadly probably won't get to play Xenoblade Chronicles 1 unless they port it, but all the revelations during the endgame... the universe is basically something I've wanted to see an RPG series do for a long time, and they nailed it.

Need to hurry up and beat Sonic and Mario Rabbids before Kirby Star Allies comes out.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3958 on: January 09, 2018, 04:00:37 PM »
It really irks me that the "G" is even there because PUB is such a great acronym and it'd be more accurate since battlegrounds is one word. I know single words are split up sometimes but in this case it works both ways.

I kind of disagree.  I think PUBG has a ring to it and a simplicity that makes the acronym really popular to use.  What I don't like however is that the name of the game is after the maker, PlayerUnknown.  I wish the game was just called Battlegrounds. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3959 on: January 09, 2018, 06:34:42 PM »

I kind of disagree.  I think PUBG has a ring to it and a simplicity that makes the acronym really popular to use.  What I don't like however is that the name of the game is after the maker, PlayerUnknown.  I wish the game was just called Battlegrounds. 

I kinda wish they would have went with PUB just so a bunch of antisocial gamers could tell people, "Yeah, I'm going to hit the pub again tonight!"
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3960 on: January 10, 2018, 05:47:56 AM »

I kinda wish they would have went with PUB just so a bunch of antisocial gamers could tell people, "Yeah, I'm going to hit the pub again tonight!"

Nintendo needs to make a Mario Kart/PUBG hybrid. I want 100 drivers duking it out on a modern day block fort.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3961 on: January 10, 2018, 06:37:15 AM »

Nintendo needs to make a Mario Kart/PUBG hybrid. I want 100 drivers duking it out on a modern day block fort.

I think GTA5 has a similar mode to this.  I read about it, but haven't loaded up GTA5 in so long to check any of the latest game modes out.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3962 on: January 11, 2018, 07:40:00 AM »
Dark Souls coming to the Switch, along with Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. Finally gonna get to play those games although I'm not terribly psyched about Dark Souls, so I'll either just rent it first or pick it up on the cheap. And Hyrule Warriors is coming again with all the DLC and a couple new outfits so I'm sure I'll sink a couple hundred more hours into that game.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3963 on: January 11, 2018, 08:16:40 AM »
Dark Souls coming to the Switch, along with Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. Finally gonna get to play those games although I'm not terribly psyched about Dark Souls, so I'll either just rent it first or pick it up on the cheap. And Hyrule Warriors is coming again with all the DLC and a couple new outfits so I'm sure I'll sink a couple hundred more hours into that game.

Holy crap, that's awesome. Yet another reason why I am so glad I got a switch. More and more interesting games are coming on this convenient console. Now I just need Knights of the old republic and then my head will really explode.

Also, super meat boy is out today for switch. Still just as awesome but I definitely miss the old soundtrack
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:57:31 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3964 on: January 11, 2018, 08:22:05 AM »
I love my switch and have been for more games that interest me. So far I only have Zelda, Mario, and Mario Kart. I'm back to my Xbox One X now to catch up on a stack of games I've been neglecting. Very interested in the Donky Kong game.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3965 on: January 11, 2018, 08:23:52 AM »
I guess this belongs into the Video Game thread, but lately I have been working on a Raspberry Pi setup running RetroPie. Because I'm an old fogey, I configured the C64 and Amiga to be emulated. I also 3D-printed an old-school joystick. Soooo much fun to play the old games!
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3966 on: January 11, 2018, 09:16:20 AM »
I guess this belongs into the Video Game thread, but lately I have been working on a Raspberry Pi setup running RetroPie. Because I'm an old fogey, I configured the C64 and Amiga to be emulated. I also 3D-printed an old-school joystick. Soooo much fun to play the old games!

Raspberry Pi clusters are adorable.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3967 on: January 11, 2018, 10:39:59 AM »
 :lol I've never played with them myself, but my brother has one set up and connected to the TV as a SNES emulator along with a controller he bought.  Definitely not as cool as your own printed joystick

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3968 on: January 12, 2018, 11:25:29 AM »
FINALLLYYYYYYY! I am SO glad I didn't do the playthrough I wanted to a month ago.

https://www.siliconera.com/2018/01/11/final-fantasy-xii-zodiac-age-will-come-pcs-february-1-2018/

This, FFXIV PC, and just finding out that The World Ends With You is coming remastered to the Switch is going to put a dent in my wallet when I need to be frugal. WORTH.

RIP DTP.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #3969 on: January 12, 2018, 11:28:39 AM »
I started playing Horizon Zero Dawn last month. I'm not usually a fan of open-world games, but I'm totally hooked. It's got such a wonderful story, protagonist, and fictional universe. I thought that it would be the kind of game where I just plowed through the main campaign, but instead I can't help but tackle most of the side quests as well.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3970 on: January 12, 2018, 02:18:44 PM »
So I am about 15-30 minutes in to The Cat Lady and am very bored and unimpressed. Should I keep plugging along or give up and move to a new game?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3971 on: January 12, 2018, 02:28:16 PM »
Anyone follow Overwatch The League?

I'm not really, but I do think it's interesting and I caught some of the replay of the first match, just wanted to see what it was all about.  I thought it was pretty well done.  Sort of had the feel of like a cheap game show you may see on GSN or something similar, but that's fine.  It was well done overall and better than I expected.  Apparently a lot of money has been invested in this so it'll be interesting to see if it becomes something big and sets things in place for more gaming leagues. 

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3972 on: January 12, 2018, 02:31:14 PM »
So I am about 15-30 minutes in to The Cat Lady and am very bored and unimpressed. Should I keep plugging along or give up and move to a new game?
I'd keep playing a bit more until you get to the first parasite, if the game didn't grab you by then, move on. The beginning certainly isn't very good but gets better past it.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3973 on: January 15, 2018, 07:40:20 AM »
So I've wanted to play Battlefield 1 since it came out and I ended up picking up a used copy over the weekend for $13. I can't play it online. Every time I connect and play for a little bit, the game drops and I get a network connection error saying that I don't have enough bandwidth to play.

I'm getting 65mbps download and 18mbps upload on my PS4. That should be more than enough. It's handling Battlefield 4 online and GTA Online with no problems whatsoever. It's something to do with Battlefield 1 specifically.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 11:57:09 AM by Chino »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3974 on: January 15, 2018, 10:55:26 AM »
Weird, maybe they had server issues?  Haven't played BF1 in awhile on PC, but didn't have issues.  Such an awesome game.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3975 on: January 25, 2018, 05:32:57 AM »
For anymone that has a switch, Celeste came out today. Its kind of like super meat boy and Its awesome

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3976 on: January 25, 2018, 09:26:04 AM »
Revisited Prey this weekend, I was a bit worried it wouldn't be as exciting as the first time I played it but it's still as immersive and fun as the first time I played it. This time I focus more on leveling Energy, Morph and Telepathy. Although I can't survive without my Shotgun.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3977 on: January 25, 2018, 12:40:27 PM »
I got the free demo of Prey on Steam but haven't gotten to it yet. It does look pretty cool.

But of course I am old school and have limited gaming time, usually periods where I have to stop at a moment's notice, so just completed another round with the Legend of Zelda Randomizer.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3978 on: January 25, 2018, 02:26:32 PM »
For anymone that has a switch, Celeste came out today. Its kind of like super meat boy and Its awesome

I've heard good things about it. I just looked it up and it's developed by Matt Makes Games. He's had some dodgy games in the past but many years ago he had a series of games called Jumper. It kind of took us by storm (the community I was in). Jumper 1 and 2 (and Redux) are so damn good I still replay them occasionally. Jumper 3 is weird and not nearly as good but has its charms. Another game called Dim was super difficult but really creative. Most everything else (which came after Jumper and Dim) is not nearly as good, to me, but I haven't played them all, either. I'll be on the fence for a while, but I'm keeping my eyes on Celeste.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3979 on: January 25, 2018, 04:28:05 PM »
Revisited Prey this weekend, I was a bit worried it wouldn't be as exciting as the first time I played it but it's still as immersive and fun as the first time I played it. This time I focus more on leveling Energy, Morph and Telepathy. Although I can't survive without my Shotgun.

I'm on my fourth playthrough and still find things that I do entirely different from the run before and find items that I didn't seem to find. I'm just now getting to the point where I've just about seen and done most of the things you can do. It's truly an amazing game. And yeah I'm not sure if I could do a no-shotgun run. Pretty sure I'd be screwed. I've done a human-only powers run and am halway through a typhon-only run (which is a serious MOTHERFUCKER) both on hard mode and both times I have relied heavily on that shotgun.

I got the free demo of Prey on Steam but haven't gotten to it yet. It does look pretty cool.

But of course I am old school and have limited gaming time, usually periods where I have to stop at a moment's notice, so just completed another round with the Legend of Zelda Randomizer.

Funny enough, it's a fantastic pick up and play/put down game with the quick save system.

RIP DTP.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3980 on: January 26, 2018, 12:13:59 AM »
Might sound weird but 17 years later I'm finally playing Pikmin. The 30 day time limit has always given me anxiety and the in game days pass quickly so I never made it past day 3 or 4. But a couple nights ago I said what the hell, let's see how it's aged. Remarkably fun game and I've gone 10 days now getting a part on average every day.  Hope I can get the other 20 in the last 20 days. I kinda like the sense of urgency now.

Never too late to discover old games...

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3981 on: January 26, 2018, 04:28:12 AM »

I'm on my fourth playthrough and still find things that I do entirely different from the run before and find items that I didn't seem to find. I'm just now getting to the point where I've just about seen and done most of the things you can do. It's truly an amazing game. And yeah I'm not sure if I could do a no-shotgun run. Pretty sure I'd be screwed. I've done a human-only powers run and am halway through a typhon-only run (which is a serious MOTHERFUCKER) both on hard mode and both times I have relied heavily on that shotgun.

Funny enough, it's a fantastic pick up and play/put down game with the quick save system.
Yea because you can save anywhere it's handy if you only got an hour to spare or something. Played 10mins this morning between breakfast and work. Slayed some Phantoms and weavers and got done with the Blackbox project quest.  :biggrin:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3982 on: February 03, 2018, 06:04:27 PM »
I bought redout on PS4. its like F-zero. its alright

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3983 on: February 03, 2018, 08:27:11 PM »
I've gotten back into Counter-Strike recently. It's crazy to think that I'd be playing a game that I used to play back in middle school (well not the exact same game).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3984 on: February 04, 2018, 06:40:14 PM »
played through celeste to 100% achievements. damn good game tbh? challenging 2D platformer with a great story and atmosphere to boot, really enjoyed it

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3985 on: February 04, 2018, 08:19:07 PM »
played through celeste to 100% achievements. damn good game tbh? challenging 2D platformer with a great story and atmosphere to boot, really enjoyed it

I love that game.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3986 on: February 04, 2018, 10:48:38 PM »
I am back into Final Fantasy XII with the Zodiac Age remaster on PC soooooooo hard. I played the emulator for years since it never released outside of Japan until the PS4 version and then was so damn convinced it would come out on PC and then was slowly giving up hope until this relatively quiet release. I didn't even find out about it until a couple weeks ago.

This is so amazingly fun. Still one of my favorite battle systems of all the timelines. Once you set up all the gambits and have full control over customizing what your characters do, it's so rewarding and satisfying to plot out how to make it so that you can decimate, steal, poison/slow/blind/etc, target weak points in a matter of seconds without touching a button and then can still alter whatever you need to on the fly. Or do an old school run of no-gambits, Active-mode which I did waaaay back when I had a lot more time on my hands and more controllers to break cause fuck that shit.  :lol

RIP DTP.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3987 on: February 05, 2018, 08:59:23 AM »
I'm so obsessed with Pikmin 2 I played it while watching the Superbowl side by side... can't stop... need to find a way to play 3 ASAP...

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3988 on: February 06, 2018, 08:06:22 AM »
Wooooot.

Just before the season ended I went a crazy 12 straight wins to push my buddy into being a doubles champion 1 rank. Sitting at D3D3 myself.

Then we picked up another and all got to champ 1 in standard. Is my first time seeing the champ rank.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3989 on: February 06, 2018, 08:28:30 AM »
I started doing metal gear Monday’s where I’m trying to play through the metal gear series. I’m playing metal gear solid and it’s a lot of fun seeing the game in a new light. The last time I played was when I was in middle school.