Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 484566 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #3325 on: May 12, 2017, 05:55:18 PM »
I just got Mr. Shifty.  Its basically Hotline miami if you were playing as night crawler. Teleporting through walls and kicking ass. I am loving it

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3326 on: May 12, 2017, 09:16:26 PM »
Forgot about HM. That's a fun game.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3327 on: May 15, 2017, 06:14:24 AM »
I have been playing a lot of Breath of the wild. I am so impressed by the this game. It reminds me a lot of the first zelda. Almost no backstory, it just drops you in the world and its like "figure it out" and this is a brutal, fully open world. It is a pretty challenging game and I love that aspect of it.

Weapons you use will break, if you want to get hearts back you have to eat or cook. (no more cutting bushes and hearts flying out) You go into a cold environment without proper clothing then you freeze to death. Enemies can kill you in just a hit or two. I was pleasantly surprised to often see a screen that I haven't seen for a while in modern day gaming and that's the game over screen. Its reminds me of the oldschool days of gaming, where the game doesn't hold your hand. You are thrown into this huge world and its all on you. You figure it out. Great game

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3328 on: May 15, 2017, 01:22:27 PM »
Still haven't finished Prey, trying to do as much side quests as possible. Besides it's fun going off track and explore, that's where I stumbled upon Nightmare and almost shat my pants!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3329 on: May 15, 2017, 01:25:04 PM »
My Playstation VR AIM controller/Farpoint bundle pack comes in tomorrow.  :metal :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3330 on: May 15, 2017, 01:31:15 PM »
Got my latest full game cramx3 Battlegrounds video completed over the weekend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_X8IYjs1wQ  Finally now have a video of a solo, duo, and squad win in the game.  This weekend, our squad actually won back to back games with little resistance.  Definitely starting to get good with the strategy in this game.  Winning is sooo rewarding, probably the most rewarding of any game I've played in recent memory.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3331 on: May 17, 2017, 10:00:03 AM »
My Playstation VR AIM controller/Farpoint bundle pack comes in tomorrow.  :metal :metal

Follow up. This device is solid. The game it game with was so-so as far as shooters go, but it's still a hell of a lot of fun and shows the true potential of peripherals like this. It feels good in hand and translates extremely well to the headset. Aiming feels so natural regardless of whether you're hip firing or using the sights. I can't wait to see what other developers do with this, and once the technology is there, this is how everyone is going to be playing COD. Mark my words.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3332 on: May 17, 2017, 05:43:13 PM »
I'm on a huge point 'n click adventure game kick as of late. Some of my favorite games of the past are The Curse of Monkey Island and The Longest Journey, but I never got around to playing all these other LucasArts / Double Fine title. There's even a new title out by Ron Gilbert called Thimbleweed Park and I'm totally loving it. It's like being transported back to 1987. And all those other classic adventure games have been getting excellent HD remasters.

Finished last week:

The Secret of Monkey Island

Playing now:

Day of the Tentacle
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's revenge
Grim Fandango
Full Throttle
Thimbleweed Park

And on the PS4 I'm halfway through Horizon Zero Dawn. Amazing game.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3333 on: May 17, 2017, 06:00:30 PM »
Great list! I posted my thoughts on the Tex Murphy and Gabriel Knight games in the Top Video Game Lists thread.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3334 on: May 17, 2017, 07:33:01 PM »
But in other news, I finally got Persona 5

I am loving it. For anyone that likes RPGs like final fantasy, or chrono trigger or xenoblade, this is basically what it is, but you are a japanese high school student and it gets wrapped up in all that drama. But there's also monsters and demons to fight. Its offbeat, quirky and crazy and there's nothing quite like it

Yeah, this is going down as one of my favourite games of all time, easily.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3335 on: May 19, 2017, 12:43:17 PM »
Great list! I posted my thoughts on the Tex Murphy and Gabriel Knight games in the Top Video Game Lists thread.

Cool, I'll check it out. I've been curious about those series for a while.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3336 on: May 19, 2017, 01:11:29 PM »
Let me know if you need my thoughts on any of them. Anything I posted about those series in my Top Games List would have been tl;dr.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3338 on: May 22, 2017, 03:58:32 PM »
Damn
https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/22/red-dead-redemption-2-delayed-to-spring-2018
Honestly, as a PC gamer it didn't bother me that much. :P If a PC version is planned, I guess we won't see that until 2020 or something anyway.

Far Cry 5: Teaser Trailer
Looks interesting, a diffrent setting than usual.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3340 on: May 23, 2017, 07:49:44 AM »
Damn
https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/22/red-dead-redemption-2-delayed-to-spring-2018
Honestly, as a PC gamer it didn't bother me that much. :P If a PC version is planned, I guess we won't see that until 2020 or something anyway.

Yea but the sooner the console version is released the sooner the PC version, I assume at least.  I'd consider getting it for Xbox1 though, it would be the first console game I've bought in years

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3341 on: May 23, 2017, 07:51:16 AM »

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #3342 on: May 24, 2017, 10:07:54 PM »
So after a few weeks of settling in with my new job, I came back to World of Warcraft.  After a few months of playing the game, I'm really enjoying the content that the Legion expansion has to offer.  The only problem I have so far is that if I do any group stuff like 25-man raids or PVP Battlegrounds, my FPS drops pretty badly to like 0-5 FPS for like a minute or two and then it climbs back to around 5-15 FPS.

I'm using a relatively new (about a year old) laptop (which is pretty much the worst type of computer that you can use for games like WoW) that is an Inspirion with a Intel core i3 and Windows 10 and I want to increase the FPS when I'm doing group-intensive activities.  Any suggestions that does not resort to me spending around $500-1000 on a desktop?

I'm thinking about getting a cooling fan for my laptop.  They do not seem too expensive and it could help me with my FPS issues.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3343 on: May 24, 2017, 10:50:43 PM »
I doubt a cooling fan would help that much for gaming performance, although I've never tried it. Gaming on a laptop with Windows 10 is probably most of the problem. Does it have a dedicated graphics chip or is it onboard?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #3344 on: May 24, 2017, 11:02:09 PM »
I think from the looks of it, I believe my laptop have an onboard graphics chip which I'm guessing means that I cannot remove it easily and that I'm pretty much doomed to playing with low performance?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3345 on: May 25, 2017, 01:31:52 AM »
WoW isn't very GPU heavy, the culprit is more likely a not-too-gaming-heavy i3 that is compounded by being the under powered "U" version (though don't get me wrong, with some good RAM a desktop i3 is fine for moderate gaming...speaking of, how much RAM do you have?) Granted, the integrated graphics don't help but that's not going to affect FPS a whole hell of a lot in WoW unless you've maxed everything out, and the major telling factor regarding CPU performance is the fact that the FPS drops heavily when more characters are on screen. Sadly there's probably not too much you can do.

Don't waste your money on a fan. Unless your CPU is thermal throttling due to intense heat, it's not going to do anything at all (and I'm actually not even sure if this occurs with the U models, though it almost certainly does with newer ones; older models might just power down). Cooling doesn't affect performance in that way and it isn't meant to. Cooling helps PCs "perform better" because the temperatures are lower, thus they can amp up the volts without overheating but it won't help you attain a higher FPS rate because a higher FPS rate requires more power, not reliability/sustainability. If you were running the game at max settings and it was running at 60FPS, yet you were getting temps of 80 C after not playing all that long, that's when a fan would really help out. I don't know too much about upgrading laptops that aren't meant to be upgraded (i.e. that aren't marketed as being upgradable or that aren't gaming laptops), but I'd bet on the option being pretty unlikely with an Inspirion.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:41:49 AM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3346 on: May 25, 2017, 07:59:00 AM »
Gaming on a laptop with Windows 10 is probably most of the problem.

Why do you say this?  My brother's Windows 10 laptop is fine for gaming (granted its has a graphics card and i7)

Anguyen92, were you able to play WoW before on this laptop without issue and it's only crap now?  Otherwise I agree with what Tio is saying.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3347 on: May 25, 2017, 08:12:04 AM »

Why do you say this?  My brother's Windows 10 laptop is fine for gaming (granted its has a graphics card and i7)

I've heard of issues with Windows 10 and certain games and hardware causing major slowdowns even for simple games. I don't have Windows 10 on my machine though, so maybe it's less common than I thought. And laptops are less than ideal for gaming, especially without a dedicated card.
I should also point out I've just never been a fan of laptops in general.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3348 on: May 25, 2017, 08:14:20 AM »
Yea that all makes sense although I was not aware of the Windows 10 issues.   I'm not a gaming laptop guy myself just know that its not impossible to have a good experience with it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3349 on: May 25, 2017, 08:19:48 AM »
Yeah, I more meant the average spec laptop using onboard graphics, rather than a high end one targeted at gaming. I've played through many games just fine on my low end laptop (cheapo AMD with ATI graphics), but I know that couldn't handle anything too fancy.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #3350 on: May 25, 2017, 10:08:39 AM »

Anguyen92, were you able to play WoW before on this laptop without issue and it's only crap now?  Otherwise I agree with what Tio is saying.

I can do casual questing/daily stuff on WoW, pretty ok.  It's just when I'm doing group-intensive activities (raids and PVP) is when I start have low FPS issues.  Anything that involves a lot of players surrounding the area is when I have low FPS.

As for the RAM, I think I have 3GB, which from what I am seeing, is actually on the low-end of things.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3351 on: May 25, 2017, 10:18:18 AM »
I never played WoW but know its older so figured you wouldn't need the best of anything to play, but checked the minimum specs:
As posted on Battle.net, the minimum requirement:
OS: Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8/Windows 10 with latest service pack.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 or AMD Phenom II X3 720.
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 440 or AMD Radeon HD 5670 or Intel HD Graphics 5000.
RAM: 2 GB.

Looks like you may meet the minimum specs besides Intel HD Graphics 5000.  Not sure what your onboard graphics are.  Either way, I think in general your laptop is not up to spec for pc gaming so if thats something you want to do then getting a new rig seems the path to go.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3352 on: May 25, 2017, 10:27:49 AM »
What Cram said. Those minimum specs (and to some end even the recommended specs) become very hazy after a certain point, that "certain point" being huge raids with tons of models/effects/environments on screen at once. Those 3 GB of RAM and the i3 are probably pumping out all they can during those raids.

Well, at the very least the game is playable most of the time.

On the actual gaming topic, I've been playing a lot of The Surge and just like Dark Souls it's a love/hate relationship. I do really like the crafting aspect and I think I'll end up playing this more than Dark Souls because of it. The whole loot dropping aspect of DS is great but it's compounded in TS and made more fun by the craft/upgrade system being not so harsh.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:44:02 AM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3353 on: May 25, 2017, 11:39:54 AM »
I have a couple of months until games I'm really interested in again are coming out so I did some review shopping to pick up what seems to be the consensus best PS4 game out that I don't have and would interest me...

Seeing as how I've surprisingly never played a Metal Gear Solid game up until this point this should be fun. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #3354 on: May 25, 2017, 11:46:06 AM »
Put a few hours into Injustice 2. It's preeeety rad.

• DTF.org Member

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3356 on: May 25, 2017, 01:24:33 PM »
I have a couple of months until games I'm really interested in again are coming out so I did some review shopping to pick up what seems to be the consensus best PS4 game out that I don't have and would interest me...

Seeing as how I've surprisingly never played a Metal Gear Solid game up until this point this should be fun. :D

Let us know for sure! I've played the entire series and loved them all and love this one just as much but for different reasons. Definitely one of my favorite games the past couple generations.

RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3357 on: May 25, 2017, 06:25:05 PM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3358 on: May 26, 2017, 09:06:15 AM »
^^Yea I thought that was pretty epic too.  :)

Far Cry 5 - Announcement Trailer

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3359 on: May 26, 2017, 10:55:37 AM »
That farcry 5 trailer looks amazing. This just the kind of angle that I can get behind