Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 489655 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #2310 on: July 19, 2016, 08:40:12 PM »
To this day my favorite NSP song remains Three Minutes of Ecstasy. It's so fun musically and the comedy is on point.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2311 on: July 20, 2016, 12:31:12 AM »
Bought "Life is strange" on the Steam summer sale before going on vacation. Started playing it on monday and Wow what a game. Totally love the storytelling here. Was up far to late (got to go to work) as I could not stop playing before the credits for episode 1 started rolling.
Played through a hunk of episode 2 yesterday but managed to tear myself away  a little earlier so am a bit more awake this morning than yesterday.

Did I make the right choices? Feels like it but who knows... great emotional game with a story that could have been in a Netflix series but where you take the descisions.

Why did I wait this long to play it???

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2312 on: July 20, 2016, 12:50:15 AM »
yeah i only just played it the last two weeks or so, quite liked it. chapter 2's ending is intense.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2313 on: July 20, 2016, 04:09:06 AM »
Life is Strange is excellent... one of my top 5 for 2015. You're in for a ride.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2314 on: July 20, 2016, 05:30:22 AM »
Agreed, so many feels in that game.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2315 on: July 23, 2016, 12:43:00 AM »
Boo-yah

I'm compiling shots for another highlight reel. I can't wait for people to see it, solely because of my choice of music. :lol
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2316 on: July 23, 2016, 03:03:01 AM »
Agreed, so many feels in that game.

Wow.... played through episode 4 yesterday. It just gets better and better... such a strong story

Definitely a ride to play through this game. Can't wait to play ep 5 through but might have to as I will be away for a week

Offline adace

« Reply #2317 on: July 25, 2016, 02:01:03 AM »
Anyone else looking forward to Abzu? To me it looks like the perfect successor to Journey.

This game, No Man's Sky and the new Deus Ex are gonna make for a very busy August.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2318 on: July 28, 2016, 12:54:17 AM »
My teammate posed the question: "What if Hulk Hogan voiced Bastion?"

Well... I think I know.

Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2319 on: July 29, 2016, 07:20:51 PM »
For any fans of old school sonic

https://www.polygon.com/2016/7/28/12312044/sonic-mania-gameplay-video

Its a brand new 2D sonic coming out next year. And when I say 2D, I don't mean like sonic 4. This is more in tune the ones I grew up with

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2320 on: July 29, 2016, 10:51:32 PM »
Between them, they've worked on a lot of Sonic fan games, and created the recent mobile versions of the 16 bit Sonic games from scratch in their own engine, so they know what they're doing. If you're into the classic games, this is as close as you can get. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2321 on: July 29, 2016, 11:00:30 PM »
Definitely a ride to play through this game. Can't wait to play ep 5 through but might have to as I will be away for a week
One of my favorites last year. I was a tad bit disappointed with how it all ended as it just kinda ended. But 1-4 are some of the best moments in a video game that I have ever played. My favorite moments are when nothing is really happening but just taking in the world or hanging out at Chloe's house. I love the soundtrack, setting, and characters. Is the dialogue a bit overdone with slang? Hella yes, but without it, the game loses character.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2322 on: August 04, 2016, 03:53:07 PM »
This article from Gamenguide is the first that I've seen that indicates Dishonored 2 will include non-lethal combat moves. In addition, powers can be upgraded to be non-lethal as well!

To me, this is fantastic news because a non-lethal play-through of the original Dishonored (while fun) could get a bit repetitious considering that choking out opponents, or evading them altogether, were the only option.

Color me even more excited for this release.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline adace

« Reply #2323 on: August 04, 2016, 06:15:46 PM »
Less than a week until No Man's Sky...

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2324 on: August 04, 2016, 07:20:40 PM »
I was listening to bombcast today and I think I'm going to hold off and see if this game is really for me.

Offline adace

« Reply #2325 on: August 07, 2016, 11:07:46 PM »
Just 1 day until No Man's Sky. I feel the same way about holding off though. The gameplay looks awesome but the lack of story is a bit off-putting. I'll definitely rent it/play it at my friend's place if not buy it.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2326 on: August 08, 2016, 01:38:11 AM »
I see no reason to have a traditional fixed story for everyone when it's a open world survival game and you're the one making the story for yourself by collecting information on planets and just simply survive in the universe.

I'll have to wait until the 12th!  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2327 on: August 08, 2016, 11:58:14 AM »
I've been one a survival horror trip recently, which resulted in me playing Outlast and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. Outlast was definitely a lot scarier and had tons of more gore, but all in all, I preferred A Machine for Pigs, and found it more unsettling when thinking about it after the fact. Still, I'd recommend both games to people that are fans of the genre.

Next step: working up the courage to play The Dark Descent.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2328 on: August 08, 2016, 12:16:55 PM »
I've been one a survival horror trip recently, which resulted in me playing Outlast and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. Outlast was definitely a lot scarier and had tons of more gore, but all in all, I preferred A Machine for Pigs, and found it more unsettling when thinking about it after the fact. Still, I'd recommend both games to people that are fans of the genre.

Have you played SOMA? Looks really cool, haven't tried it myself though.

I have Amnesia: AMfP but haven't finished it yet, it gave me the creeps. :lol Alien Isolation was tense enough for me, those games are on a whole another level.  :lol The whole atmosphere and the fact it plays below the sea makes SOMA interesting even for me though since I loved the Bioshock series.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2329 on: August 08, 2016, 12:28:57 PM »

I have Amnesia: AMfP but haven't finished it yet, it gave me the creeps. :lol Alien Isolation was tense enough for me, those games are on a whole another level.  :lol The whole atmosphere and the fact it plays below the sea makes SOMA interesting even for me though since I loved the Bioshock series.

SOMA sounds interesting, but I haven't played it yet. My next projects are Inside (made by PlayDead, the guys that made Limbo - so fucking excited for this one) and, once I decide I'm in the mood for more gorey horror, Outlast: Whistleblower. And after that, I'll probably have to play Christmas Shopping Simulator or something to come back down from all the horror - horror games are fun, but taxing.

After that... SOMA, maybe. And Dark Descent, if I ever feel like subjecting myself to that.

I would, however, definitely recommend finishing A Machine for Pigs. It gets a little fantastical towards the end, but the story is still really good and it has a lot more things to say than your average horror game. Plus, the whole atmosphere of that game is just so fucking perfect.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2330 on: August 08, 2016, 03:27:09 PM »
Interesting that you played A Machine For Pigs before Dark Descent. I never bothered with the former as when it came out the reviews seemed mostly along the lines of "not as scary as the first one". :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2331 on: August 08, 2016, 03:44:03 PM »
I played Outlast, and after that I wanted to play some other survival horror. Dark Descent just seemed a little much, with everybody calling it the scariest game ever and such, plus I read that the story on A Machine for Pigs was better, so I was interested in that.

I do agree that it's not all that scary in the jump-scare sense, but it has a lot of more subtle scariness and dread pervading it that makes it a very interesting game to play, and the climax of the whole thing is absurdly powerful.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2332 on: August 08, 2016, 04:47:06 PM »
FYI SOMA was developed by Frictional Games the guys that made Amnesia, so it's in the same vein but below the sea from what i've seen.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2333 on: August 09, 2016, 12:03:57 AM »
I played Outlast, and after that I wanted to play some other survival horror. Dark Descent just seemed a little much, with everybody calling it the scariest game ever and such, plus I read that the story on A Machine for Pigs was better, so I was interested in that.

I do agree that it's not all that scary in the jump-scare sense, but it has a lot of more subtle scariness and dread pervading it that makes it a very interesting game to play, and the climax of the whole thing is absurdly powerful.
Oh yeah jumpy =/= scary. Dark Descent isn't really very jumpy either, it's very psychological.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline adace

« Reply #2334 on: August 09, 2016, 03:56:06 AM »
https://www.polygon.com/features/2016/8/9/12408750/no-mans-sky-first-impressions-review-preview-10-hours

This review kinda confirms my fears about the game. I can deal with not having a story (because getting to the center of the universe and discovering what's there is probably story enough) but having to slog and grind through the game just to survive doesn't sound fun. Definitely want to give a try though and judge for myself though.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2335 on: August 09, 2016, 04:33:39 AM »
Since I already bought the game and because i've been wanting to play the game for some time i'm just gonna ignore any opinion about the game at this stage and form my own when i've played it enough. I have no stress in completing tasks quickly, i'm just gonna explore planets in my own pace. I usually don't have any problem with things being a grind in survival games, I can see it being a drag if you die alot and have to do things all over again but then again that's part of the game and also a trigger to not get yourself killed.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2336 on: August 09, 2016, 06:21:44 AM »

SOMA sounds interesting, but I haven't played it yet. My next projects are Inside (made by PlayDead, the guys that made Limbo - so fucking excited for this one) and, once I decide I'm in the mood for more gorey horror, Outlast: Whistleblower. And after that, I'll probably have to play Christmas Shopping Simulator or something to come back down from all the horror - horror games are fun, but taxing.

After that... SOMA, maybe. And Dark Descent, if I ever feel like subjecting myself to that.

I would, however, definitely recommend finishing A Machine for Pigs. It gets a little fantastical towards the end, but the story is still really good and it has a lot more things to say than your average horror game. Plus, the whole atmosphere of that game is just so fucking perfect.

Prepare to shit yourself. The Dark Descent is easily the scariest game I've played. Hell it's scarier than any movie I've seen.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2337 on: August 09, 2016, 10:57:44 AM »
I've never gotten that far in Dark Descent but it must get way scarier because I never found it that bad. Never gripping existential fear but just "Shit I might die".

Play Silent Hill 2 then talk to me about scary.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2338 on: August 09, 2016, 01:14:44 PM »
Strongest game in the series for sure, but personally I actually found the first one scarier.

With Amnesia, the developers even recommend that you do it properly and play 1. in the dark and 2. with headphones. So much of the terror comes from the sounds. I tried it for a bit but couldn't actually take it so ended up just playing it normally. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2339 on: August 09, 2016, 01:15:21 PM »
By the way, anyone here played Vessel? Playing through it at the moment, very fun puzzle-platformer with an amazing soundtrack of Jon Hopkins tunes.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2340 on: August 09, 2016, 01:20:49 PM »
Started Bravely Default!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2341 on: August 09, 2016, 07:19:13 PM »
Good choice! Best Final Fantasy games in years :p

Strongest game in the series for sure, but personally I actually found the first one scariest

I find they are scary in different ways. Each of the original four games has its own style of horror, and two really nails the ambient oppressive dread kind of horror. Silent Hill 1 and 3 are more like panic inducing whereas 2 makes me want to throw up (and i really mean that as the highest compliment), and not because it's gross or gory (as it is not)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:25:06 PM by Genowyn »

...my name is Araragi.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2342 on: August 09, 2016, 08:00:13 PM »
Strongest game in the series for sure, but personally I actually found the first one scarier.

With Amnesia, the developers even recommend that you do it properly and play 1. in the dark and 2. with headphones. So much of the terror comes from the sounds. I tried it for a bit but couldn't actually take it so ended up just playing it normally. :lol

That's how I played. It took me a bunch of sessions because it would scare the shit out of me so frequently.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2343 on: August 09, 2016, 09:45:32 PM »
Good choice! Best Final Fantasy games in years :p

I sure hope so. Most FFs lose my interest about an hour or two in.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline adace

« Reply #2344 on: August 09, 2016, 11:37:59 PM »
Went to my friend's place to see No Man's Sky. Better than I initially thought but I'm not impressed enough to buy it right now. I'll probably wait until the price goes down a lot.