Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479303 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2014, 12:40:11 AM »
^ That looks pretty cool, but even if I had a Wii I don't think I'd pay 8 bucks just to have a character/extras...
8 new tracks in each DLC as well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2014, 12:45:13 AM »
Yeah, it does come with quite a bit now that I look it over but... I dunno, it's definitely naive, but I almost expect Nintendo to stay away from DLC as a mainstay but this is kinda the final tell. They've been slowly implementing it over the years and it's certainly still a far cry away from almost every other company; but the kid in me is pretty sad. This is all without mentioning that I really just don't like DLC in general when it comes to online and/or multiplayer games. It's one thing for single-player games but there's something that, even if I bought it and was happy as could be, I'd still know there's a decent amount of people I'm not playing with because of it. Even on the winning side it's still kinda sucky.

I digress. Ramblings of a gamer stuck in the past.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2014, 12:52:28 AM »
uh, extra characters, new cars, 8 tracks each. Nintendo's giving you well more than your money's worth. 4 Cups, 4 characters, 16 tracks for less than a third of the price of the game.
Also why should you feel bad if some people can't or won't spend $12(or $16 if you don't jump on the offer, but still not bad) for all of that?
It's a boatload of extra content that they didn't even have to work on for a very radical price.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2014, 01:29:25 AM »
 :lol I can read, I know what the DLC is. I'm not sure why you're speaking as if you're trying to change my mind... It's just my view. It's not like I'm making a ruckus about this; and y'know, I'm not too sure why the fact that a certain amount of people not playing bothers me...but it does. Hm. Emotions. Either way I thought I conveyed that it's still 'not bad' pretty clearly... (I mean, the first thing I said was 'now that i look it over, it's quite a bit'... :huh: )

It's really not that much content for the money, certainly not for a radical price. On that same token, it's not a ridiculously high price but I've paid less for more for many other DLCs for other games. Granted 'more' is a very loose term (that slut) that's different for games, different aspects of appeals, etc. It's tough to compare DLCs for games unless they're the same genre and...well, Mario Kart is pretty much the only racer I play (despite even now rarely playing it, sadly) and I've never paid for DLC for it before. Either way it's not for me so I'm not sure why you even responded the way you did.

You obviously like it. Get it. Enjoy. Be free. I release you!

RIP DTP.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2014, 01:39:20 AM »
:lol I can read, I know what the DLC is. I'm not sure why you're speaking as if you're trying to change my mind... It's just my view. It's not like I'm making a ruckus about this; and y'know, I'm not too sure why the fact that a certain amount of people not playing bothers me...but it does. Hm. Emotions. Either way I thought I conveyed that it's still 'not bad' pretty clearly... (I mean, the first thing I said was 'now that i look it over, it's quite a bit'... :huh: )

It's really not that much content for the money, certainly not for a radical price. On that same token, it's not a ridiculously high price but I've paid less for more for many other DLCs for other games. Granted 'more' is a very loose term (that slut) that's different for games, different aspects of appeals, etc. It's tough to compare DLCs for games unless they're the same genre and...well, Mario Kart is pretty much the only racer I play (despite even now rarely playing it, sadly) and I've never paid for DLC for it before. Either way it's not for me so I'm not sure why you even responded the way you did.

All I'm getting at is that it's a shit ton of content for a pretty good price, I don't see what's so sad about it. Perhaps you can get more from other games for a bit cheaper(I don't see that this often unless it's a huge sale), but that doesn't make this not a really good deal. If anything, I'm glad Nintendo are finally starting to push some weight around in the DLC arena more, because it never just feels like a tiny little add-on, it feels like a big addition to the game, and I'm more than sure this DLC will as well.
Not saying you have to get it of course, but.. uh, I just don't see why you're sad about it other than you just generally don't like DLC which is kind of tough luck, as it's not going away anytime soon  :lol

It's a great opportunity to keep adding things when it comes to mind, and not just look like a huge ripoff *COUGH COUGH BATTLEFIELD HARDLINE COUGH COUGH*

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2014, 01:49:34 AM »
Sweet bro.

RIP DTP.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2014, 01:53:21 AM »
My number one problem with DLC comes purely from a retro standpoint - many years from now, the CD and the console will still be there, but the DLC will be long gone. That's the same reason I don't buy games from PSN - I want a physical copy that I can spoon with at nights.

Oh, and also, developers who release games with DLC already on the disc and you pay for being able to use what you've already got, but who isn't against that?
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2014, 01:55:09 AM »
Well, 32 tracks has been the standard since MKDS, these two together will 16 tracks, so you're basically adding 50% new tracks to the game. Not to mention that it's freaking non-Mario characters getting in on the action for the first time ever. And the dates of the DLC mean they'll be adding new content 6 months/1 year after the game's release. Getting new reasons a year later to keep playing MK8 is just cool.

Plus, Isabelle.  :heart

Thing is, I'm hype. None of this was stuff that seemed to have been gutted out of the main game. It's just DLC done right, as far as I'm concerned.

(I hope we get some real battle arenas for battle mode down the line though. Using the racing courses for that doesn't work very well.)
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2014, 02:00:03 AM »
Well, 32 tracks has been the standard since MKDS, these two together will 16 tracks, so you're basically adding 50% new tracks to the game. Not to mention that it's freaking non-Mario characters getting in on the action for the first time ever. And the dates of the DLC mean they'll be adding new content 6 months/1 year after the game's release. Getting new reasons a year later to keep playing MK8 is just cool.

Plus, Isabelle.  :heart

Thing is, I'm hype. None of this was stuff that seemed to have been gutted out of the main game. It's just DLC done right, as far as I'm concerned.

(I hope we get some real battle arenas for battle mode down the line though. Using the racing courses for that doesn't work very well.)
This

I don't really get why you're just dismissively responding to me Tio, what exactly am I saying that makes you feel the need to do that?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2014, 02:19:18 AM »
Yeah this is a good example of DLC being done well, I would say. With games like this (racing games, sports games, etc.) before the age of DLC, they would just release new games more often. We have 16 new tracks - let's update the game mechanics is some minor ways and release it as a new game at full price. Now with DLC, they can add the extra tracks/characters/cars at a lower price, and I would say these prices are pretty reasonable.

I do dislike a lot of DLC in general because it is so horifically overpriced. I just don't think that is the case here.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2014, 02:32:04 AM »
Oy vey... Because you're arguing something that's not even up for debate and that I haven't once been argumentative over. It's not like I've said the DLC sucks or that people shouldn't buy it. The DLC isn't for me. For crying out loud, I don't even own this console, this all started as hypothetical...jesus crabcakes.  :lol I apologize for not creaming my pants over this DLC?  I'll revert back to my previous statement of:

Truly, don't let me bring you down; enjoy the DLC. I dunno what else to say.  :huh:

Anyway... DOOM 4 WHERE THE FUCK YOU AT BROMETHEUS!? Seriously. I want this so badly. Wolfenstein was cool (even though I still like Return To Castle Wolfenstein the best) but I hope this iteration of the series stays a bit more closer to the origin while updating and bringing something fresh. Keep the recipe but spice it up. It looks like they're doing just that but I'm still kinda nervous for the outcome. LUCKILY, I'll be in the Beta when it hits...which is hopefully soon. ARRRGHHHH! October is gonna be so fuckin tits this year. And my wallet is so screwed.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:29:14 AM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2014, 06:39:17 AM »
As someone who spent like 15 bucks on a few maps in Call of Duty in the past, that DLC offering seems like a really good value.

It's a great opportunity to keep adding things when it comes to mind, and not just look like a huge ripoff *COUGH COUGH BATTLEFIELD HARDLINE COUGH COUGH*

Im not ready to call Hardline a ripoff.  It looks like a completely different game, just using the same engine and mechanics.  New single player, new game modes, completely new looks on characters and vehicles.  I did not play the beta though, so maybe it is really to much like a normal BF game.  Hence I am not willing to say its a ripoff just yet.  I plan on buying it.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2014, 08:55:12 AM »
$12 and you get 8* characters, 8 vehicles, and 16 races. So... pretty much what you spent $50 on in 1998 to get in Mario Kart 64. I'd say that's a pretty good deal!

*8 including the new color schemes for Yoshi and Shy Guy (for which there's probably more than one new color)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:11:13 AM by OpenYourEyes311 »
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2014, 09:19:52 AM »
Awesome to see the Mario Kart DLC - I thought / hoped they would be doing DLC for this version of the game, and a few new characters, some extra vehicles and 2 new cups (possibly 1 new and 1 retro) was pretty much exactly what I thought would make a great pack (as long as it was not overpriced). To be honest I doubted they would release anything as good as that, and didn't expect it for this holiday, so I'm thrilled to see this. Also cool to see them adding characters from other game, and at least two of the selection of characters being added (Link and Dry Bowser) are ones I would really want to see in it.

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2014, 10:48:44 AM »
I'll be getting that Mario Kart DLC as soon as it's available. Excited to see the new tracks.

Going to jump into Episode 5 of Walking Dead Season 2 tonight. I haven't liked this season nearly as much as the first, but I'm still pretty excited to see it end.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2014, 04:28:03 PM »
Has anyone bought the new Madden? I haven't played the series in years. Tempted to try this newest version even though EA Sports sucks.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2014, 07:48:54 PM »
You can "pre-buy" the Mario Kart 8 DLC together for $11.99 on the eShop right now, in case anybody wants to save a few bucks. Your system will just automatically download them when they come out.

EDIT: Apparently, the moment you buy it, you instantly get Shy Guy as a racer and a bunch of multi-colored Yoshi as well.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 07:58:53 PM by Nel »
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2014, 08:22:14 PM »
I do not have a Wii U, but this looks like DLC done right. A sizable amount of content for less than a third of the game's price. If I had the game, I would certainly preorder this. It is much better than in, let's say, Call of Duty, where the DLC equals the price of the game and adds less than a full game's worth of content. And then microtransactions on top of that. Damn, I hate those things.

2 new cups (possibly 1 new and 1 retro)

Ah, retro cups. Mario Kart would be better off without them. In the newer games (specifically from Wii onwards), each entry tops the previous ones in terms of the insanity of its level design. Though I really like the old tracks, they pale in comparison to the newer ones. Their juxtaposition was really jarring in MKW, and I presume that it is even more exaggerated in the new titles. Not to mention that Nintendo usually chooses the worst tracks from previous games.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2014, 09:34:33 PM »
They're actually recreated amazingly in Mario Kart 8
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:44:27 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2014, 10:43:48 PM »
They're actually recreated amazingly in Mario Kart 8

This!

THIS!!!

FUCKING THIS!!!!!

Randaran, if you ever liked Mario Kart at all, you should strongly consider getting this at some point. The retro levels are substantially overhauled with far superior graphics, new gameplay elements here and there, and seem to have been done in a way that perfectly balances the charm and feel of their original incarnations with creating a new enough experience that you'll probably never complain about them being "rehashes".
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2014, 05:07:43 AM »
Yeah the retro tracks are mostly just new track designs based on older tracks, but still in the Mario Kart 8 design.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2014, 05:11:14 AM »
I'm having a blast going back through my 3DS games. Tales of the Abyss, Donkey Kong, Moon 3D (which is an awesome sci/fi shooter done right). Mainly Tales though, I really miss this series and it's one of the reasons why I want at least one console sometime in the future.

RIP DTP.

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2014, 05:17:49 AM »
I upgraded to an XL recently and its been awesome. I never played my 3DS much or for very long stints, mostly because of the comfort on the older model. But with the XL I've been playing all the games I dropped half way through again. Playing a lot of Pokemon mostly. It's just so much more comfortable to play now.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2014, 08:49:39 AM »
The retro levels are substantially overhauled with far superior graphics, new gameplay elements here and there, and seem to have been done in a way that perfectly balances the charm and feel of their original incarnations with creating a new enough experience that you'll probably never complain about them being "rehashes".

This is my main concern. In MKW, the new courses took full advantage of the new gameplay elements and the Wii's power, and consequently had some ambitious layouts. From what I have played of MK8, the tracks are even more insane. Though I like the retro courses, they did not compare to the new ones. If they add new game elements, this would definitely help to alleviate some of my concerns. I likely will not get a Wii U until a new Metroid is released, though MK8 is now a high priority for when I do.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
The retro levels are substantially overhauled with far superior graphics, new gameplay elements here and there, and seem to have been done in a way that perfectly balances the charm and feel of their original incarnations with creating a new enough experience that you'll probably never complain about them being "rehashes".

This is my main concern. In MKW, the new courses took full advantage of the new gameplay elements and the Wii's power, and consequently had some ambitious layouts. From what I have played of MK8, the tracks are even more insane. Though I like the retro courses, they did not compare to the new ones. If they add new game elements, this would definitely help to alleviate some of my concerns. I likely will not get a Wii U until a new Metroid is released, though MK8 is now a high priority for when I do.
There's way too many games out and coming out for the Wii U to hold out for a Metroid game man. Way too many.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2014, 09:03:55 AM »
There's way too many games out and coming out for the Wii U to hold out for a Metroid game man. Way too many.

I have been mostly playing 7th gen games I had missed, and thus have not been paying all that much attention to new ones. I presume that you are talking about first party games? I will look into it.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2014, 09:07:16 AM »
First party and third party a like. There's some good shit out on the Wii U, and coming out in the near to semi distant future.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2014, 02:53:42 PM »
This video has circled around quite a bit. It shows some awesome potential about the Oculs Rift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RehCTRrWM0

For me though as awesome as this is i'm a bit annoyed that people suddenly goes berzek because a video goes popular and suddenly everyones blown away by the OR. Stuff like this is what I expected from the OR beforehand and what got me so excited for the future of VR. It just seems like people are very eager to point out and complain about the limitations of a product but when something goes viral it's all glory and amazing.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Randaran

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2014, 03:15:46 PM »
I just watched some gameplay of the MK8 Lightning Cup, and, well, you guys were definitely correct. Tick Tock Clock in particular looks nothing like its NDS counterpart; all four courses (with the possible exception of the 3DS one, as I never played MK7) are greatly upgraded visually. There are enough subtle differences in the track layouts to make them feel new again. From my first impressions, MK8 does not suffer from the retro course issue I had with MKW.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2014, 06:40:10 AM »
I have played all the Mario Karts other than MK7, and MK8 is easily the best one so far. Lots of unlockables, and the fact that they're gonna add DLC to it?? Fantastic! Anyone on the fence about getting it, if you've played ANY of the old ones and enjoyed yourself, you will not be disappointed with MK8!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2014, 07:05:12 AM »

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2014, 07:41:22 AM »
Yeah most of the other Mario Kart games I would play enough to maybe unlock all the characters, but MK8 is so good I've been playing it since it came out and I'm still coming back for more. Definitely the best in the series.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2014, 10:57:55 AM »
FUUUUUUUUUCKING HELL YES!

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/08/29-1/nintendo-announces-new-more-powerful-3ds

If anyone is wondering why I linked to an anime site, it's because they're better journalists than most gaming sites and have more information on there than IGN, which is apparently run by toddlers.

Anyway, this is fucking incredible. I was literally just thinking about getting a new 3DS since mine has seen some wear and tear and I'm a total OCD-esque freak when it comes to keeping my precious tech in near mint condition (granted, wear and tear for me is a few blemishes). This is an amazing opportunity for me since I absolutely loved what I played of Xenoblade, but don't own a Wii (er..along with having the time to hunt a copy down now). The analog-nub looked very odd at first but I can see it's worth in being tiny and kind of as functioning C-nub, as someone put it. Awesome for Smash, RE: Revelations, and Monster Hunter 4 (which is awesome as well cause this game is gonna be the tits). This is fantastic, I really can't wait for this thing to release in the US!!!

Ed: Interesting...a lot of backlash over the exclusivity of certain games for the new model, one being Xenoblade. It doesn't affect me but it does sour me a bit. I love that most people I see bitching in comment sections (the ones I know anyway) are the same ones that support console exclusivity. Fools. I suppose Nintendo is no less greedy than any other company when it comes down to it. Either way this is awesome news. I also love the face-plates (GBMICRO days!). I think a lot of people are ignorant of the fact that this game will not work on a normal 3DS... There's not nearly enough RAM (lo-and-behold, a new feature), and the fact that you'd have to run around with the analog stick while moving the D-pad around to change the camera (like MH3U) would be very annoying. I see it as Ninty creating a new system for this very beloved game (and adding a new style of play to others), and hey, now they can release even more higher powered games (ummm...Metroid Prime please) that simply wouldn't even be possible on the normal 3DS. Want to play it? Buy it! If not...then keep bitching and maybe a fairy will feel sorry for you and leave a New3DS for you (LITTLE JIMMY ON IGN). People seem to be under the impression that they're just not releasing it on the 3DS.  :lol People and their assumptions... Cause Nintendo rolling out a new modified system is completely new AND they just want to piss of fans. I'm sure they'd love it if this game could run on older models; more money for them.

Man, it's gonna make Monster Hunter playing SO MUCH FRIGGIN' BETTER! I love MH3Ultimate but it's a pain to change the camera; I'm gonna be spoiled now, not having to contort my hands so I can still run around while moving the camera with the D-pad.  :lol Less skill, more laid back; I'm down. Ohhh boy oh boy oh boy my wallet is gonna get raped this holiday season and into next year and is gonna LOVE IT. Awesome retro coloring on the normal 3DS model, though I'll be getting the XL. (still kinda visible)

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:13:10 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2014, 12:05:29 PM »
Kind of put off by having to shuck out another $150 some if I want to keep up with their handhelds, but it's not that much although I probably won't be able to trade my current 3ds in seeing it's got a crack on it's shell which I honestly have no clue how it got there because I've never dropped it :C

That's one thing that Nintendo does that mildly annoys me, but it's easy to get over.

anyways more importantly  :laugh: SHULK FROM XENOBLADE IS IN BABES.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:29:10 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2014, 12:30:03 PM »
I read a comment that I think puts the nay-sayers comments in perspective of how ludicrous they really are:

Are you guys all still really angry that you cant play your N3DS games on your original NDS?

:rollin It's an extreme example but I think that pretty much sums it up. It's an upgrade just as any other system is; it's just in the same generation and family of other 3DS systems so somehow that's...really breaking people's brains apparently and they'd just rather not have any of this at all.

anyways more importantly  :laugh: SHULK FROM XENOBLADE IS IN BABES.

HELLZ YES! I forgot to mention that. Awesome news, absolutely boner-inducing. I didn't even play that much of Xeno and I already know he'll be the first I play as when I get my hands on Smash. It's gonna be super cool to kick some arse in Smash one second, then go back to playing the actual Xenoblade all on the same system. AHHHHH!! I just felt my inner child coming back to life.

RIP DTP.