Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479366 times)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #6440 on: May 14, 2020, 10:22:02 AM »
https://www.pcgamer.com/mafia-definitive-edition-is-coming-in-august-and-it-looks-gorgeous/

I'm so pumped for this. It looks like they completely remade the original Mafia from the ground up, new voice actors, more details with the same original score and story with expanded missions. The first one was a masterpiece to me when it first came out, even though I played it on the less than impressive console version (the PC is fantastic). The story was always amazing to me and it will be really cool to see it remade.

Mafia 2 is also interesting since, despite it being kinda repetitive and dry, I enjoyed the story, setting, and characters. It was already great when it was released, it will look even better remastered. Mafia 3 is the one I don't care much about because that was a really bad game and it was released three years ago on PS4, and now is being released again--it doesn't make sense. Maybe they overhauled the horrible game system where you had to complete repetitive side missions to advance the main story.

Wow those screenshots look great but I'm confused by the quote: "It is very definitely remastered". That looks like an entirely new game compared to the original.

Agreed about Mafia 3. I liked the story, setting, and main character but the gameplay was so repetitive. I really had to force myself to get through it. I was planning on doing all the stuff and collecting all the crap but after a while, I just rushed through it.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6441 on: May 14, 2020, 02:53:14 PM »
As for the latest trailers, Paper Mario looks very nice and Ghost of Tsuchima looks like an Assassins Creed game without the modern day bullshit, which is interesting to me as well.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6442 on: May 15, 2020, 02:06:37 PM »
There's almost 20 minutes of Ghost of Tsushima gameplay that dropped yesterday. It looks amazing. My hype for that game just shot through the roof. Combat looks like... faster than Dark Souls but slower than Sekiro, maybe? I never played Sekiro and hate Dark Souls but this game just looks incredible. I want to play it just for the visuals - same with Sekiro, but that one looks WAY too difficult, like Dark Souls, so I'd just rage at it.

There's also a huge PS4 sale starting today, over 200 games down to $15 or less. Assassin's Creed Odyssey Gold Edition is $25 too and that comes with Assassin's Creed 3 Remastered. I just ordered a 2TB external hard drive to store all these. I'm already swimming in PS4 games, this isn't helping!!  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6443 on: May 15, 2020, 02:34:38 PM »
I like the emphasis on exploration that video had. I'd like to play it.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6444 on: May 16, 2020, 05:59:33 AM »
Tony Hawk Pro Skater Remake 1+2, I will say I am very intrigued. I remember spending hours and hours playing the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0mNQxLUHyg

I'm so pumped for this.

I've started playing Black Mesa and it's incredible the amount of work this team put into this remake. They cut so many parts of HL that just drag.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6445 on: May 16, 2020, 07:26:09 AM »
Picked up AC Odyssey Gold Edition last night, starting it right now. Chose Kassandra. I was playing TLOU but it makes me anxious which in turn exacerbates my shortness of breath I'm currently experiencing. Odyssey already looks absolutely stunning but I'm not playing on a PS4 Pro and I'm already seeing choppiness - in the opening battle with Leonidas, and in this cutscene with the hawk/eagle/whatever flying over the world. First PS4 game I've played with noticeable choppiness. Looks insanely good though. Maybe I'll trade my PS4 in for a Pro.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6446 on: May 17, 2020, 06:25:07 AM »
I loved Odyssey, I never finished it though. I played through most of the game through the Stadia beta they had a while back, it played surprisingly well.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6447 on: May 17, 2020, 06:31:44 AM »
I've started playing Black Mesa and it's incredible the amount of work this team put into this remake. They cut so many parts of HL that just drag.
Yea it's a great remake but they did work ALOT of years to finish it. :D Hmm I actually didn't know they cut parts out, haven't played the original in so many years so I guess I might not remember the things they cut out.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6448 on: May 17, 2020, 12:19:15 PM »
Finished Spider-Man yesterday ... almost 100% completion (including DLC) but there’s 4 hidden landmarks I didn’t get pictures of. And since here’s no list of them in th game, I don’t know which ones I don’t have. So fuck it. Close enough.

Started God of War 4 this morning. Never played the GOW franchise, so I’m looking forward to it. I just have to untrain myself from the Spider-Man controls.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6449 on: May 17, 2020, 01:59:02 PM »
Tony Hawk Pro Skater Remake 1+2, I will say I am very intrigued. I remember spending hours and hours playing the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0mNQxLUHyg

I'm so pumped for this.

Interesting. THPS was probably in my top 3 N64 games. I remember downloading a Tony Hawk's 1 & 2 HD game on my PS3. It was a couple maps from both games into some combo of the two. It was okay. This looks fantastic looking though. The warehouse looks amazing. I feel like "Superman" should have been the song in that trailer. That's the first song with lyrics I ever heard in a video game.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6450 on: May 17, 2020, 02:08:29 PM »
Finished Spider-Man yesterday ... almost 100% completion (including DLC) but there’s 4 hidden landmarks I didn’t get pictures of. And since here’s no list of them in th game, I don’t know which ones I don’t have. So fuck it. Close enough.

Started God of War 4 this morning. Never played the GOW franchise, so I’m looking forward to it. I just have to untrain myself from the Spider-Man controls.

So far Spidey is the one game I've done EVERYTHING in on my PS4. What an incredible game. God of War is truly something else. Tons of side stuff I didn't do, but a great story and the photo mode is soooooo good.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6451 on: May 17, 2020, 02:32:10 PM »

Interesting. THPS was probably in my top 3 N64 games. I remember downloading a Tony Hawk's 1 & 2 HD game on my PS3. It was a couple maps from both games into some combo of the two. It was okay. This looks fantastic looking though. The warehouse looks amazing. I feel like "Superman" should have been the song in that trailer. That's the first song with lyrics I ever heard in a video game.

Back in the day, I played the utter living crap out of THPS 2 for the PC and then 3 for the PS2. Had some incredible times with those games and they opened me up to whole new genres of music as well.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6452 on: May 17, 2020, 04:56:56 PM »
Tony Hawks Underground is where it is at for me. Played 2 a lot as a kid, but Underground was the one that really captivated me. I will, however, definitely check the new releases out. I don't think I ever played the first one, or the third one.

But man, those games where huge over here back then.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6453 on: May 17, 2020, 08:32:23 PM »
Okay I really do not need to buy any more games. But I'm gonna buy Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. XC2 is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. I highly recommend it to anybody with a Switch.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6454 on: May 17, 2020, 11:42:39 PM »
I agree, did you get all the blades and finish leveling them up? I was going to but it got to be so tedious that I gave up during my New Game+ playthrough.

I admit, some of the anime clichés can be a turn-off for some, and the battle system can be a bit obtuse, but when it clicks it's well worth the ride.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6455 on: May 18, 2020, 02:05:38 AM »
I agree, did you get all the blades and finish leveling them up? I was going to but it got to be so tedious that I gave up during my New Game+ playthrough.

I admit, some of the anime clichés can be a turn-off for some, and the battle system can be a bit obtuse, but when it clicks it's well worth the ride.

I'm like 6 blades away. I gave up trying to get them all. Never got KOS-MOS. 300 hours and hundreds of cores... I never did play the Torna DLC. now that I think about it...

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6456 on: May 18, 2020, 02:13:46 AM »
I unfortunately cannot deal with the style of Xenoblade 2, in particular how the characters look and talk. And I have a distaste for some of the anime behaviour. I have watched some of the game and know it most certainly isn't for me. Especially those blades.

But talking about anime RPG's and the Switch, I do absolutely love Fire Emblem Three Houses (though a few character there are grating as well, kicked them off my team). 

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6457 on: May 18, 2020, 02:33:39 AM »

I'm like 6 blades away. I gave up trying to get them all. Never got KOS-MOS. 300 hours and hundreds of cores... I never did play the Torna DLC. now that I think about it...

Dude, you need to get on that DLC. If anything, it solidified Jin as my favorite character.

I feel you ErHaO, I myself am not a huge fan of the overt "fan-service" or whatever it's called. When it comes to the blade designs, it's unavoidable, but for the vast majority of the game those moments are eclipsed by compelling storytelling and a deep combat system. And the soundtrack is stellar as well.

I also played through the first time with Japanese dialogue, only switching to the English dub for new game+. I feel like a certain emotional tone was lost in the translation/delivery having played through with both.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6458 on: May 18, 2020, 02:52:51 AM »
Never played the first Xenoblade Chronicles, just part 2 so I am very looking forward to definitive edition. I have it bought and pre downloaded

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6459 on: May 18, 2020, 05:54:20 AM »
I will probably bite the bullet on that DLC when I buy XCR later this month hahaha.

As far as the art style goes... I love the art style but the weeby fanservice stuff and overtly sexualized nature of the characters and blades turns me off. In fact, Tora, the little Nopon character... it was so cringe that I honestly nearly gave up on the game in chapter 4. Chapter 4 is so embarrassing story-wise that I had a very negative opinion of the game. The blade designs certainly didn't help. And the voice acting is rubbish in many places. But I'm so glad I stuck with it because as soon as chapter 5 started the game picked up in a big way and the back half of the game (story, battling, everything really) more than redeemed the first half imo. Quite the roller coaster of opinions, XC2.

When I finally learned how to maximize the battle system's potential and pull off chains using every elemental break, it honestly became one of the most fun battle systems I've ever played. It's really deep and engaging and customizable.

I want Three Houses but I despise that they're leaning into turning FE into a waifu simulator.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6460 on: May 18, 2020, 05:59:33 AM »
Tony Hawks Underground is where it is at for me. Played 2 a lot as a kid, but Underground was the one that really captivated me. I will, however, definitely check the new releases out. I don't think I ever played the first one, or the third one.

But man, those games where huge over here back then.

I absolutely hated the second one for some reason. Idk why given how much I loved the first. I think it was the ability to do manuals and basically combo tricks indefinitely. It made split screen with friends way less fun.

Underground was a great release though. Definitely better than 2 and 3 IMO. Its create-a-level mode was awesome for the day. I remember recreating the Warehouse and Chicago from THPS1 in it. OH! And it also had this bitching feature when creating characters. You could take a picture of your face and email it to some address they gave you. You received a code in return. You would enter that code in game (or something along those lines) and the image you took will be super imposed on the character you were creating. I'm actually amazed that hasn't become a thing today. I imagine there could be issues with people making characters with the faces of celebrities or political figures and doing sick shit to them for Youtube kicks.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:58:02 AM by Chino »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6461 on: May 18, 2020, 08:57:09 AM »
GTA V is free on the Epic Play store right now. I don't really have the desire to play it again, but I'm downloading it anyway to torture test my machine.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6462 on: May 18, 2020, 09:08:01 AM »
GTA V is free on the Epic Play store right now. I don't really have the desire to play it again, but I'm downloading it anyway to torture test my machine.

Check this mod out. Insane. I wonder what specs you'd need to maximize its potential.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6463 on: May 18, 2020, 09:22:05 AM »

Check this mod out. Insane. I wonder what specs you'd need to maximize its potential.

I saw that yesterday actually. It's incredible.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6464 on: May 18, 2020, 03:36:46 PM »
Shocked to find that my PC plays GTAV on all of the highest settings without issue. I know it's a seven year old game, but still. I can't get it to display full screen though. No matter what I do, I can see the min, max, and close buttons in the top right corner.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6465 on: May 18, 2020, 04:13:43 PM »
Shocked to find that my PC plays GTAV on all of the highest settings without issue. I know it's a seven year old game, but still. I can't get it to display full screen though. No matter what I do, I can see the min, max, and close buttons in the top right corner.

Sounds like you have it set to display in window mode, that's a graphics setting.  You can dow borderless window, window, or full screen.  Unless you already checked that, then I'm not sure.  And I'm not surprised you can play that at highest settings. 

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6466 on: May 18, 2020, 04:51:33 PM »
There's almost 20 minutes of Ghost of Tsushima gameplay that dropped yesterday. It looks amazing. My hype for that game just shot through the roof. Combat looks like... faster than Dark Souls but slower than Sekiro, maybe? I never played Sekiro and hate Dark Souls but this game just looks incredible. I want to play it just for the visuals - same with Sekiro, but that one looks WAY too difficult, like Dark Souls, so I'd just rage at it.

I don't think Dark Souls is that difficult but what pisses me off about those games is having to run back to the mini-boss or Boss after dying. To me this is not challenging since it's not difficult to run back without taking damage but it's frustrating as fuck. I don't have much patience for it.

From what little I've seen of Ghost of Tushima, it could very well be a day 1 purchase depending on reviews and game length.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #6467 on: May 18, 2020, 07:54:03 PM »

I saw that yesterday actually. It's incredible.
Here is my current build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZjG8k6 I'll test it out this weekend and see how it does.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6468 on: May 18, 2020, 08:15:49 PM »
$2500?? :omg:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6469 on: May 18, 2020, 09:48:35 PM »
Wow, do you use your rig for other than gaming? That 3900x seems pretty excessive otherwise.

Here's hoping the latest console generation will bring GPU prices back down to earth, because ever since Bitcoin mining, they've been skyhigh and hard to justify the price/performance upgrade from the 10xx series.

If these next-gen consoles @~$500 can generate equivalent experiences to a 2070 as is rumored (it's all theoretical at this point) then perhaps the 30xx series and AMD equivalent will bring prices down, but I'm not holding my breath.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #6470 on: May 18, 2020, 11:32:02 PM »
That 2500$ price doesn't take in to account all the stuff on there that says no price available. It really all comes out to about 4000$

Wow, do you use your rig for other than gaming? That 3900x seems pretty excessive otherwise.
I also run the majority of my business from my computer and do a variety of streaming, video editing, graphic design, occasional 3d design, and audio work, in addition to gaming. I'd say it gets used pretty well.  :)
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6471 on: May 19, 2020, 12:06:21 AM »
That makes sense, my dad just upgraded to an obscene 128gb of RAM; editing 4k video has certain requirements.  :o

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #6472 on: May 19, 2020, 08:26:38 AM »
That makes sense, my dad just upgraded to an obscene 128gb of RAM; editing 4k video has certain requirements.  :o
Yeah, I'm planning on dropping in another 32gigs, since it would be less than $200. It would definitely help with editing larger 4k and 8k video.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6473 on: May 19, 2020, 08:28:27 AM »

Sounds like you have it set to display in window mode, that's a graphics setting.  You can dow borderless window, window, or full screen.  Unless you already checked that, then I'm not sure.  And I'm not surprised you can play that at highest settings.

Is RDR2 that much more graphically demanding than GTAV?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6474 on: May 19, 2020, 11:06:06 AM »

Is RDR2 that much more graphically demanding than GTAV?

Probably more, but not sure how much more being basically the same engine, but RDR2 is a much newer game.

Enthusiast PCs can be expensive.  I'm thinking of buying that same CPU and the motherboard shared earlier which is a $1k combo just for the base of the PC.  Very expensive, but I use my PC almost nonstop when I am home.  I hardly watch TV anymore for entertainment, it's always gaming, watching, browsing, or video editting.  And the video editing can use extensive resources so I have specific needs for me build.  Plus all this work from home, stay home, stuff.... I'm using it even more.  So I don't mind spending my money on something I use so often for my home entertainment. 

I'm actually thinking of making the purchase really soon and taking a day off from work to build it since work is getting really antsy with no one using PTO and they made a big stink about it yesterday... so it seems like a good time to dedicate to this.