Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 482500 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #6370 on: May 01, 2020, 02:52:24 PM »
Just finished playing INSIDE. Pretty interesting and weird game from the guys that made LIMBO, although I didn't really understand the point of it, or maybe expected a bit more of depth.

I really liked Inside, the end was a bit crazy but overall it was a good experience.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6371 on: May 01, 2020, 06:19:45 PM »
Phoenix, I too am disappointed, but not for the same reasons. In fact, I think we may be opposites here; I love what they did with the story, and all the cinematics make for one hell of a movie, but I can't remember the last time I have seen so much tedium, padding, and filler in a big RPG adventure like this before. Of the 14 or whatever chapters there are, you could condense this back down to the original game.

Honestly I think I like FF15 more than the 7 remake right now... it was a better game. FF7R has the better battle system and story no question, but I had more actual fun in 15 than this. :/
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6372 on: May 02, 2020, 08:02:38 PM »
All right... now that FF7R is done, I have the following new titles to pick from. Although, I am still in chapter 4 in Red Dead. I don't think I will ever beat that game, and I like it that way: I can always load it up and find something new to do. So tomorrow I'm gonna start one of these.

Assassin's Creed Origins
The Witcher 3 (complete edition)
Monster Hunter World (no Iceborne expansion)
The Last of Us Remastered
No Man's Sky
Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection
Detroit: Become Human

Oof.  :lol (So far I've beaten: God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, GTA 5, Final Fantasy XV, South Park: The Fractured But Whole)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6373 on: May 03, 2020, 06:15:46 AM »

If you play this one, I'd love your impressions. I'm intrigued by the premise.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6374 on: May 03, 2020, 06:43:33 AM »
All right... now that FF7R is done, I have the following new titles to pick from. Although, I am still in chapter 4 in Red Dead. I don't think I will ever beat that game, and I like it that way: I can always load it up and find something new to do. So tomorrow I'm gonna start one of these.

Assassin's Creed Origins
No Man's Sky

Oof.  :lol (So far I've beaten: God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, GTA 5, Final Fantasy XV, South Park: The Fractured But Whole)

Since I've got my PS4 (right before the lockdown) I've completed The Last of Us which is incredible and that one game alone was worth buying the PS4. Playing the Uncharted series now, the first one was ehhh (the plot was really bad tbh) and I'm at the end of the second one now and it really does pick up in terms of the plot and the gameplay, I like it a lot.

Detroit: Become Human is probably what I'll play after finishing Uncharted 2, I have a physical copy of it and I wanted to play it for a while now.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6375 on: May 03, 2020, 10:53:46 AM »

Assassin's Creed Origins
No Man's Sky

The Witcher 3 was sexcellent.

I was disappointed with No Man's Sky. It still feels empty and repetitive to me. It's very grindy.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6376 on: May 03, 2020, 11:11:37 AM »
I'm REALLY hoping I like Witcher 3 more on a console than on PC. I found it nearly unplayable there. I know it's the same game, but I'm weird like that. Narratively I loooove the game, but I hated playing it on a computer. I figured for $15 it's worth giving it another go. Plus... Gwent!

I decided to go with The Last of Us. I started it up earlier but only played a few minutes, gonna get back to it after a nice long walk.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6377 on: May 03, 2020, 11:15:04 AM »
I'm REALLY hoping I like Witcher 3 more on a console than on PC. I found it nearly unplayable there. I know it's the same game, but I'm weird like that. Narratively I loooove the game, but I hated playing it on a computer. I figured for $15 it's worth giving it another go. Plus... Gwent!

I decided to go with The Last of Us. I started it up earlier but only played a few minutes, gonna get back to it after a nice long walk.

Did you dislike the gameplay in Witcher 3 or was it more of a performance issue?

I have to get back into The Last of Us. I played it for a couple hours then stopped for some reason.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6378 on: May 03, 2020, 11:17:14 AM »

Did you dislike the gameplay in Witcher 3 or was it more of a performance issue?

I have to get back into The Last of Us. I played it for a couple hours then stopped for some reason.

Gameplay and just fundamental issues like Geralt taking big damage from dropping 3 feet. And moving from Breath of the Wild to Witcher, the landscape of Witcher just felt soooo claustrophobic. But it's been a long while since then so I'm gonna try to be more forgiving. I still hate the UI, but I love lots of games with bad UIs, so I'm really gonna go in (whenever I start it) with a more open mind. I know the world has so much to offer and I want to love it. I had this same issue with Dragon Age Inquisition but on a much more negative level.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6379 on: May 03, 2020, 11:25:43 AM »

Gameplay and just fundamental issues like Geralt taking big damage from dropping 3 feet. And moving from Breath of the Wild to Witcher, the landscape of Witcher just felt soooo claustrophobic. But it's been a long while since then so I'm gonna try to be more forgiving. I still hate the UI, but I love lots of games with bad UIs, so I'm really gonna go in (whenever I start it) with a more open mind. I know the world has so much to offer and I want to love it. I had this same issue with Dragon Age Inquisition but on a much more negative level.

Oh yeah I remember the silly fall damage. Agreed about the UI.

I couldn't get into Dragon Age Inquisition. I really didn't like the first two games but I forced myself to play through them because I really wanted to get to Inquisition. About half way through the second game, I put the difficulty all the way down just so I could breeze through the remainder of the game  :lol Maybe I burned myself out on the series. I'll probably check it out again one day.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6380 on: May 03, 2020, 02:06:39 PM »

It's funny you mention the difference in world size between W3 and BotW. I played W3 first and started BotW shortly after finishing Witcher and I felt like the world was too large in Zelda. I was running everywhere and it was taking forever to do so.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6381 on: May 03, 2020, 02:15:59 PM »

It's funny you mention the difference in world size between W3 and BotW. I played W3 first and started BotW shortly after finishing Witcher and I felt like the world was too large in Zelda. I was running everywhere and it was taking forever to do so.

There's no horse in Breath of the Wild?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6382 on: May 03, 2020, 02:27:07 PM »
There is but I kept leaving it places so I'd have to walk back to get the horse.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6383 on: May 03, 2020, 02:29:02 PM »
There is but I kept leaving it places so I'd have to walk back to get the horse.

Yikes that sounds annoying. The game looks too damn good though. I'm going to get a Switch eventually for that game. I hope Metroid Prime 4 will be out by then. I miss Mario games too.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6384 on: May 03, 2020, 02:30:42 PM »
The Last of Us is short and awesome, just a good game all around.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6385 on: May 03, 2020, 02:55:28 PM »
I think my favorite aspect of BotW was just strait up exploring and filling in the entire map. Its so massive. That in itself was its own adventure.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6386 on: May 03, 2020, 05:19:50 PM »
You can whistle for your horse :)

I started The Last of Us. Honestly, I had to take a break by the time the starting credits came on. I was immediately hooked and I don't even like zombies, but the intro did such an amazing job at setting the mood and gripping me that I started feeling anxious and had to put it down after yesterday's events.

So that's actually a great sign. But I gotta take it easy so I'm going forward in small chunks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6387 on: May 03, 2020, 09:10:33 PM »
I'm going to get a Switch eventually for that game. I hope Metroid Prime 4 will be out by then. I miss Mario games too.

I might get a switch just for Prime 4. BotW looks great despite a couple issues I could potentially see as drawbacks. But Mario Odyssey isn't a game I am anxious to play at all. If I need a Mario fix, I have Galaxy 1 and 2, and the NES/SNES/N64 games on my computer via emulation.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6388 on: May 04, 2020, 04:23:27 AM »
Games these days take like a good amount of years to develop and Metroid Prime 4 development was rebooted and handed to another developer in 2019. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a switch-successor or cross generation game to be honest.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6389 on: May 04, 2020, 06:42:57 AM »

But Mario Odyssey isn't a game I am anxious to play at all. If I need a Mario fix, I have Galaxy 1 and 2, and the NES/SNES/N64 games on my computer via emulation.

Odyssey is the first Mario game to disappoint me. Beat it the same day I bought it and it was way too easy and strait forward. I really regret paying the full $60 dollars for it.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #6390 on: May 04, 2020, 06:44:05 AM »
That's because there's more to do than just the bare minimum to finish the story. You only need 60 moons to save Peach but there's over 800 in the worlds to find. I don't think you collected that many moons in one day.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6391 on: May 04, 2020, 06:58:46 AM »

I started The Last of Us. Honestly, I had to take a break by the time the starting credits came on. I was immediately hooked and I don't even like zombies, but the intro did such an amazing job at setting the mood and gripping me that I started feeling anxious and had to put it down after yesterday's events.

So that's actually a great sign. But I gotta take it easy so I'm going forward in small chunks.

:tup

The game made me nervous as hell. I don't remember the last time I was so invested in any game, and I usually dislike zombies in games too. Good luck!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6392 on: May 04, 2020, 07:18:54 AM »

But Mario Odyssey isn't a game I am anxious to play at all. If I need a Mario fix, I have Galaxy 1 and 2, and the NES/SNES/N64 games on my computer via emulation.

Odyssey is the first Mario game to disappoint me. Beat it the same day I bought it and it was way too easy and strait forward. I really regret paying the full $60 dollars for it.

I hate to say it Phoenix but I think you totally missed the point of Odyssey. Bolsters nailed it. There are 880 moons in Mario Odyssey. It's super fun to try and collect them because of how easy a lot of them are to get. Just 'cause they're easy doesn't mean they're not fun (just my opinion though). Plus the photo mode is INCREDIBLE. I have so many great photos that I should dig up and share. Odyssey convinced me every game needs a photo mode. And don't forget the Dark (and Darker) Side of the Moon which is crazy. And the "secret kingdom" I won't spoil for anyone but is a lovely homage to one of Nintendo's biggest games of all time.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6393 on: May 04, 2020, 09:25:01 AM »
That's because there's more to do than just the bare minimum to finish the story. You only need 60 moons to save Peach but there's over 800 in the worlds to find. I don't think you collected that many moons in one day.

You need 124 I believe. To be honest, if you don't like it at that point, I think playing more of it won't change that.

I really enjoyed it. But I played Astro Bot and Mario Galaxy around the same time and prefer how focused they were and they provided some challenge (sometimes a lot). Oddysey's main content is way too easy in my opinion.

Still, I reaaaally hope we will get an Oddyssey 2 on the Switch. It is these adventurous single player titles I love Nintendo for. Don't really care for the likes of Splatoon,  Arms, Animal Crossing etc. (Smash being an exception, Ultimate is fantastic).

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6394 on: May 04, 2020, 11:26:04 AM »

Of course not, I'm struggling at some of those moons. The Racing Bros., The no hat challenges, and some Stone Pipe challenges. Oh and 2 moons I know I'll never get...The Volleyball and Jump-Rope last moons.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6395 on: May 04, 2020, 12:23:54 PM »
I am finally really playing Breath of the Wild btw. Based on early plateau stuff I thought it perhaps wasn't my type of game. I was wrong though, I think it is fantastic thus far. Also bought the dlc because I was told it contains content suitable for midgame progress.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6396 on: May 04, 2020, 12:30:50 PM »
I am finally really playing Breath of the Wild btw. Based on early plateau stuff I thought it perhaps wasn't my type of game. I was wrong though, I think it is fantastic thus far. Also bought the dlc because I was told it contains content suitable for midgame progress.

:heart :heart :heart My favorite game of all time, no question (although Red Dead is right on its heels). Every time you climb a mountain, the view is reward enough imo. It's so relaxing to just walk around and take in the wilderness. The DLC is pretty cool imo, although the Sword Trials can reeeeally test your patience - I know it even pushed my limits sometimes, but it felt so good when I beat them. Take your time, don't rush. My absolute favorite place in the game is called Cape Cales, a promontory that juts out high over the southeastern sea. It's soooo gorgeous if you catch it in sunny weather.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6397 on: May 04, 2020, 12:40:18 PM »
There are 880 moons in Mario Odyssey. It's super fun to try and collect them because of how easy a lot of them are to get. Just 'cause they're easy doesn't mean they're not fun (just my opinion though).

Is it reasonable to ask if having fewer, harder to get moons would be more preferable than more, easier to get ones?

Also, maybe I am old school, but these games should have one clear, defined goal. Save the princess. That should be the driving force of the game, not how many moons I can get. If I save the princess, I feel I completed the game. I may feel compelled to get more moons after that based on sheer enjoyment of the game, but it's hard to stay motivated to play on once I "completed" the game.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6398 on: May 04, 2020, 12:46:35 PM »
There are 880 moons in Mario Odyssey. It's super fun to try and collect them because of how easy a lot of them are to get. Just 'cause they're easy doesn't mean they're not fun (just my opinion though).

Is it reasonable to ask if having fewer, harder to get moons would be more preferable than more, easier to get ones?

Also, maybe I am old school, but these games should have one clear, defined goal. Save the princess. That should be the driving force of the game, not how many moons I can get. If I save the princess, I feel I completed the game. I may feel compelled to get more moons after that based on sheer enjoyment of the game, but it's hard to stay motivated to play on once I "completed" the game.

Well, two parts to this. Absolutely it's reasonable to want the alternative (fewer, harder to get moons). A lot of Mario/Nintendo fans have expressed the same desire, actually. I would've loved to be a fly on the wall during development and when they were debating which route to go. For the one clear defined goal, well, getting to the final level and beating Bowser (rescuing Peach) is the clear defined goal. But how you get to that point is by capturing Moons to fuel your ship (the Odyssey) which is how you progress from one level to the next. I'm guessing they chose to go the open-ended route with so many Moons to appeal to as wide an audience as possible since all age groups play Mario, and this way you can avoid getting stuck or avoid the harder to obtain Moons, while still progressing through the game. But yeah, there's really no 'correct' way to go about it, I like that they left it open so kids and adults and grandparents and casual gamers alike can all enjoy the game equally.

You just unlock more extra stuff with more moons and purple coins, like really fun outfits :)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6399 on: May 04, 2020, 12:59:54 PM »
I appreciate that reply. I remember thinking the same thing when Mario 64 came out, and you only needed like half the stars to get to the final level, which at that time seemed strange to my me. I would think back to Zelda on NES: You couldn't get into Level 9 until you had 8 pieces of the Triforce, which meant you had to get through all 8 levels. But then you didn't have to get all the heart pieces or even all the weapons (how the hell people beat that game with 3 hearts and no sword never ceases to amaze me).

So maybe even that far back you could make it to the "end" of a game without getting every item and "completing" it all the way through.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6400 on: May 04, 2020, 02:29:17 PM »
Okay, finished Uncharted 2. Way way better than the first one, like holy shit the quality isn't even comparable. Excited to get to the third and the fourth one in the next couple of months.

Tomorrow's taken by our D&D game, but come Wednesday, as I said, I'm going to dive into Detroit: Become Human. The decision to buy PS4 2 days before the lockdown was one of my best decisions ever.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #6401 on: May 04, 2020, 08:31:14 PM »
Also, maybe I am old school, but these games should have one clear, defined goal. Save the princess. That should be the driving force of the game, not how many moons I can get.
You can still go save the princess in Mario Odyssey if that's all you care about, Nintendo hasn't taken that away from you. But why "should" that be the only purpose of the game? It's not like the story of having to go and save Peach yet again has ever been compelling, the draw of Mario has always been the gameplay, and Odyssey's excessive amount of moons is about giving players more of that gameplay.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6402 on: May 05, 2020, 07:28:36 PM »

You know, I was going to ask about that but it's such a basic feature of these types of games that I figured ReaperKK would've known about it.

Are Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 available on the Switch?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6403 on: May 05, 2020, 07:37:05 PM »
There's a strong rumor going around that Nintendo is doing a massive Mario blowout in the near future with rereleases/remasters of Mario 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxies. No announcement yet, but I believe it. Not sure when or if they'll break the news with this pandemic though.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6404 on: May 05, 2020, 08:11:00 PM »

You know, I was going to ask about that but it's such a basic feature of these types of games that I figured ReaperKK would've known about it.

Are Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 available on the Switch?
I'm aware of whistling but I always get carried away from my horse and its out of whistling range. If I quick travel I can no longer whistle for my horse