Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479463 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #6335 on: April 20, 2020, 09:12:17 AM »
Been playing Dishonored the last couple days.  Fun game, definitely worth the $10 on Steam.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6336 on: April 21, 2020, 09:37:15 AM »
I love Dishonored, I still need to finish it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6337 on: April 21, 2020, 09:53:55 AM »
I am playing on easy because my time and focus is limited now. It isn't too challenging, and I like the gameplay and story. It felt weird to start playing basically right away, it seems like that is a relic of the past. It's dangerous to go alone. Take this. I kept thinking "Where's the long intro scene? Where's the detailed tutorial?"  I am not a big stealth fan but I am enjoying that aspect of the game. Maybe I don't dislike stealth as much as I think I do.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6338 on: April 21, 2020, 10:43:35 AM »
I'm still enjoying FFVII Remake, but I'm not hot and bothered by it like I was with the original, which I couldn't put down.

-The side quests are lackluster
-I wish they would have just kept the original music all around. The new tracks are just ok and don't have the original feel to them.
-Stopping at just Midgar was a mistake imo. I'm already almost done the game and I would have liked them to go a little bit further

Besides that I still think its the best FF experience they have released in a very long time. The re-imagined environments are excellent as is the new battle system.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6339 on: April 21, 2020, 10:54:02 AM »
It's been way too long since I played the original, so my frame of reference is pretty vague.  I'm really enjoying this Remake though.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6340 on: April 21, 2020, 10:56:54 AM »
I actually didn't play it all weekend, mostly because of Animal Crossing, but the hallway syndrome in this remake is really harshing my vibe. Why in god's name is nobody complaining about having to run down extremely narrow super long corridors the entire god damn game but everyone crucifies FF13 for it? What the fuck is Square doing? FF7R isn't even fun to move around in, they have so much detail but you can barely move in any given location and there's no deviation from almost any paths.

Battles are super fun though. Just haaaate Square's inability to actually 'open up' locations and let them breathe but they want to spend 1000 hours making hair look good
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6341 on: April 21, 2020, 02:09:13 PM »
I actually didn't play it all weekend, mostly because of Animal Crossing, but the hallway syndrome in this remake is really harshing my vibe. Why in god's name is nobody complaining about having to run down extremely narrow super long corridors the entire god damn game but everyone crucifies FF13 for it? What the fuck is Square doing? FF7R isn't even fun to move around in, they have so much detail but you can barely move in any given location and there's no deviation from almost any paths.

Battles are super fun though. Just haaaate Square's inability to actually 'open up' locations and let them breathe but they want to spend 1000 hours making hair look good

XIII's biggest sin is that it is just super boring all around, with a weak cast of characters constantly nagging about their lives. And honestly most classic FF games have long linear sections to a significant degree, with the world maps and explorable towns inbetween. XIII did not have the latter, the game was almost linear as a whole. Only far into the game there was suddenly an open area apparently (never reached that point).

In a world where most AAA games are open world/sandbox, I guess many people don't mind it much, given that the gameplay and story are compelling.

However, I have not played FFVII remake pt 1, so maybe it is as limited as XIII. I will be honest, I wasn't nearly as impressed with the demo as others. But my problems were mainly with the acting/cutscenes.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6342 on: April 21, 2020, 02:54:32 PM »
I just wrote up a really long post that went into great detail why I have so many problems with FF7R, but it was too negative, because I do really enjoy the game, but the negatives are egregious imo and are seriously affecting my enjoyment in some ways. The hallway syndrome is ridiculous, they spend so much time on the window dressing and making things flashy and dazzling yet it seems like they give very little consideration as to whether or not the stuff is actually FUN for the player to experience.

I dunno, I still need to finish it, but I'm conflicted on this thing, there are some design choices made that infuriate me, but not nearly as much as FF15. And there are some things I think FF hasn't done this well in many years. It's quite a package and a hell of a feat regardless and I'm just glad it exists...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6343 on: April 23, 2020, 10:44:54 AM »
I've been playing FF for 30 years.  This is one of my favorites.  Way better than FFXV.  XII was just ok, but X is probably still my favorite.  When it comes to FF games, I really don't have a lot to complain about.  This FFVII Remake will probably be a candidate for game of the year.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6344 on: April 23, 2020, 01:42:52 PM »
I remember being dissapointed in FFXII as a kid, but playing it when the HD remaster came out made me really appreciate the game. Especially when the 4x-8x speed up trivialises any grinding/slow parts.

The visual style is great. The world, world building, and exploration are fantastic. The music is great and a bit Star Wars esque. The combat is good, kind of like the later classic Bioware games in a way (and now you can speed up the boring battles). I also think Balthier and Bashe are upper tier party members of FF in general. Didn't mind Vaan and Penelo as much as I thought I would, but generally the lead Vaan is way less interesting than the rest. Most of the plot revolves around the interesting characters though.

Also, the plot is probably the least anime/most reasonable in the series. As an adult, I definitely enjoyed the more political nature of the plot.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6345 on: April 24, 2020, 08:30:36 AM »
I need to eventually get the HD remaster version of FFXII and give it another whirl.  Been a long time.  Still fully consumed by FFVII day after day.  Haven't gone to bed on time in 2 weeks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6346 on: April 24, 2020, 08:39:29 AM »
3 separate times I tried to play through FF XII. Once when it came out, then again zodiac age for PS4 and finally Zodiac age for Switch.

Never made it past the first few hours unfortunately. Couldn't get into the story and really didn't like the gambit system.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6347 on: April 24, 2020, 08:54:33 AM »
3 separate times I tried to play through FF XII. Once when it came out, then again zodiac age for PS4 and finally Zodiac age for Switch.

Never made it past the first few hours unfortunately. Couldn't get into the story and really didn't like the gambit system.

Same, actually the battle system was the biggest issue for me. The characters and story were SUPER bland and that didn't help, but the battle system was what did it in for me.

Does The Zodiac Age change it up at all? I heard TZA is way better than the original PS2 release.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6348 on: April 24, 2020, 09:10:46 AM »
I never tried XII and honestly given how little time I spend on long form games nowadays, I'd be surprised if I ever get around to it when I have a few other RPGs on the back burner. I played around 2 hours of XIII and that was enough to know I wasn't going to get on with it.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6349 on: April 24, 2020, 09:22:07 AM »
Come to think of it, I wasn't too fond of the gambit system either.  That was probably the main contributing factor in not finishing the game other than the usual distraction of a better game.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6350 on: April 24, 2020, 09:27:27 AM »

Same, actually the battle system was the biggest issue for me. The characters and story were SUPER bland and that didn't help, but the battle system was what did it in for me.

Does The Zodiac Age change it up at all? I heard TZA is way better than the original PS2 release.

Zodiac basically make its look prettier  :lol

They tweaked it to add a Zodiac job system and streamlined the License boards a little. I didn't notice a huge difference to the overall experience. The fundamental problems are still there unfortunately. They also made it so you can put the entire game on fast forward which makes it faster to get around and grind, which is nice but not how I like to experience the game.

Visually it does look very nice though.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6351 on: April 24, 2020, 11:48:47 AM »
Honestly outside of the main gambits (tweaking when healers will heal and when and which enemies will be attacked automatically), I think adjusting gambits only takes up like 0,1% or less of the total gameplay. I think I entered that menu a couple of times only. I do all special moves, summons etc. manually. The rest of the combat is quite similar to, say, the Dragon Age games. But even in those you also have the option to tweak automatic commands, like the gambit system. The first couple of hours revolve around Vaan and co in town, but overall the key plot is not really about them.

I really love the world of XII, it is full of great towns/villages and the semi-open structure is well done.

In the end it ranks in the middle of my FF list, but the difference in quality is not that big with the higher tier. The stretch of VI-X was something special. From the ones I have played, XII is the most different FF, it feels way more like a western RPG than any of them.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6352 on: April 26, 2020, 10:10:46 AM »
Cyberpunk 2077 Gameplay - The Ultimate Preview

The day when I finally get to play this after all these years will be emotional I think.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6353 on: April 26, 2020, 04:06:37 PM »
For those who own Doom or Doom II on consoles, I found out they recently added downloadable content. You can add Sigil, Final Doom levels etc. via a download menu.

I have been playing a bit of these games (and Doom 64) on my Switch inbetween other stuff and I think they are a lot of fun. Odd how the old gameplay mechanics have aged way better than actual 3d shooters from the era right after it.

I only watched older children play Doom back in the day, but still have fond memories of doing that.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6354 on: April 26, 2020, 04:20:39 PM »
Finished my 3rd Winning Call of Duty Warzone today.  Not my greatest, but still stupid and fun which is what I go for.  Named it vulgarly after my friend that I was gaming with since he's pretty involved in the game.  He's one of my gamer friends that I met online gaming with other friends, but we've actually met up at a few concerts like Iron Maiden and Slayer.  The reality is, I haven't won this game in weeks although I play so much.  I have 9 wins total and a few more to make videos like this (some weren't very interesting games or had recording issues) so I kind of really need to start winning this game again  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6355 on: April 30, 2020, 05:50:52 AM »
Streets of Rage 4 is coming out today. Its looking pretty cool.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6356 on: April 30, 2020, 07:12:58 AM »
I'm adding Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Origins to my 'want-to-play' list. I don't have time nor interest in any of the other entries (I've played 1 and 2 and a teeny tiny portion of 4), but those two have had my attention. If anybody sees any deals on those feel free to give me a heads up ;) I won't get to them for months but I'd love to grab them for cheap ASAP.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6357 on: April 30, 2020, 09:21:30 AM »

Oooo I loved those games as a kid and heard about a new one.... co-op online mode?  That sounds fun.  I'm debating about getting this for a play through with a friend.... now I need to find a friend  :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6358 on: April 30, 2020, 10:14:24 AM »
I'm adding Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Origins to my 'want-to-play' list. I don't have time nor interest in any of the other entries (I've played 1 and 2 and a teeny tiny portion of 4), but those two have had my attention. If anybody sees any deals on those feel free to give me a heads up ;) I won't get to them for months but I'd love to grab them for cheap ASAP.

I'll keep a look out. Which console do you have or do you play on a PC?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6359 on: April 30, 2020, 10:24:50 AM »

I'd be playing these on PS4. Thanks Herrick :)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6360 on: April 30, 2020, 10:25:38 AM »

I'd be playing these on PS4. Thanks Herrick :)

Yeah mang!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #6361 on: April 30, 2020, 01:20:52 PM »

Speaking of Assassin's Creed, the next game in the series got announced! It's called "Assassins Creed Valhalla" and you play as a viking called "Avor" during the dark ages in a medieval England.

It seems to be going the open world route like Origins and Odyssey, and you probably get to explore an open world England. Odyssey even with it's problems was a very fun game, and I sunk a little over a 100 hours into that thing, so I will likely be checking this out!

https://youtu.be/EAj1rJBQ5zw

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6362 on: April 30, 2020, 01:33:43 PM »

Speaking of Assassin's Creed, the next game in the series got announced! It's called "Assassins Creed Valhalla" and you play as a viking called "Avor" during the dark ages in a medieval England.

It seems to be going the open world route like Origins and Odyssey, and you probably get to explore an open world England. Odyssey even with it's problems was a very fun game, and I sunk a little over a 100 hours into that thing, so I will likely be checking this out!

https://youtu.be/EAj1rJBQ5zw

Yeah, it looks awesome. Although I have major beef with Ubisoft's marketing side of the business, there is no denying the AC games are absolutely beautiful and appeal to a great many people, so I'm excited for this one. It'll probably be the first AC game I play on launch, although I'll be playing it on PS4 and not the PS5. I wonder how much will take place in England and how much in Scandinavia though? You'd think they'd want more Scandinavian settings than English.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6363 on: April 30, 2020, 01:36:06 PM »
I didn't think the combat in Odyssey was that great. It lacked punch so to speak. It was fun game and I put many hours into it even though I wasn't very into it. I really am a sucker for these big giant open world games.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6364 on: April 30, 2020, 02:05:56 PM »
That looks good. I enjoyed Odyssey and I'll give this a shot

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6365 on: April 30, 2020, 02:32:59 PM »
Oooh Origins is on sale on the PlayStation store for 14.99. Sold, I'm gonna grab it even though I very likely won't get to it for months. That and the free Uncharted collection will make a sweet get tonight.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6366 on: April 30, 2020, 04:25:29 PM »
Oooh Origins is on sale on the PlayStation store for 14.99. Sold, I'm gonna grab it even though I very likely won't get to it for months. That and the free Uncharted collection will make a sweet get tonight.

Sexcellent. I saw the standard price was $20-something. It's definitely worth it at that price but $15 is even better.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6367 on: April 30, 2020, 04:39:55 PM »

Oooo I loved those games as a kid and heard about a new one.... co-op online mode?  That sounds fun.  I'm debating about getting this for a play through with a friend.... now I need to find a friend  :lol

I'm pretty sure there is. When I looked at it there wasn't anyone online yet so I Didn't have a chance to fully mess around with the that part yet. But for the game in general, its very decent.

Feels just like the originals, but modernized. And the music is by the same composer as the originals.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 04:49:08 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6368 on: April 30, 2020, 06:46:13 PM »
Just finished playing INSIDE. Pretty interesting and weird game from the guys that made LIMBO, although I didn't really understand the point of it, or maybe expected a bit more of depth.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6369 on: May 01, 2020, 07:04:05 AM »
Finished FFVII remake and I was very divided.

Up until the last hour, I would have given it an A grade with the only nitpicks being that it felt padded in places and I would have liked them to take it a little further past Midgar, but besides that I was loving it.

but then...

Spoilers

So its not even a remake, its a sequel and it goes into interdimensional, time traveling, alternate universe, future sephiroth coming back in time like Back to the future II and changing the timeline and re-doing everything. And this all happens in the last hour. Yeah, no thanks. 

And those annoying ass cloaked spectre things that keep showing up, they are the "guardians of fate" or whatever and they are trying to preserve how the original story was supposed to play out (a meta allegory of fans that want everything to be exactly the same as it was originally) and at the end you defeat fate itself??? What the hell is going on?? and the ending plays out like "well going forward, anything can happen" basically saying that they are just gonna do what ever they want now.

I didn't sign up for any of that. Its a wild out of left field move to do and if they would have been up front about it, then I wouldn't have felt so blindsided, but there was no mention of this at all in the trailers or marketing. I just wanted to replay a modern version of my favorite game and I got that for for 30 ish hours, but then they flipped the table over. I have no idea if I even want to play episode 2, so we'll see.