Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 484560 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #6230 on: April 08, 2020, 01:30:52 PM »
 :rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6231 on: April 08, 2020, 01:31:16 PM »
One night, me and my bro spent an entire night trying to beat him. We did, celebrated and went to bed.

:lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6232 on: April 08, 2020, 01:43:29 PM »
 :facepalm:  :rollin
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6233 on: April 08, 2020, 02:39:30 PM »
What made FF7 such a legend? I never played anything from that franchise, but I see that particular game referenced all the time.

Everything Phoenix87x said verbatim, plus

It was the first time you felt like playing inside a movie or novel, with a pretty complex protagonist and an even more complex villain.

The maddening but electrifying lack of major railroading. It was wonderful to be stumped in the no internet era.

The music, dear God, the music.
All of these, plus for me it was the first game I ever played of such SCALE. After what felt like a significant whole game in itself, you realised what you'd played so far was just the first part, and now you were leaving Midgar to explore the whole rest of the world. That blew my mind at the time.

It's also a feeling that won't apply to the remake, as that's literally where the first game will end, and we'll have to wait for subsequent instalments.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6234 on: April 08, 2020, 05:08:52 PM »
I played Metroid prime (GC version, I don't like Wii controls and it looks sharper because of the 4:3 aspect ratio) on the Wii using a component cable last year and it holds up really well.

Wind Waker, though charming, did not grab me, but I haven't given it a fair chance yet. Twilight Princess (Wii) I did play for longer but I found it to be boring and visually unappealing.

I played Prime 1 and 2 first on GC, then years later on WII along with 3. Too much time had passed to compare controls, but I thought they translated 1 and 2 to the Wii brilliantly.

I played through Wind Waker at a time in my life where I was in a lull. It was fun to play through that game casually (since you spend enough damn time sailing). I mostly enjoyed it, consider it a worthy addition to the franchise, but cannot imagine playing through it again now. I guess the HD remake speeds up the sailing and some other annoying issues.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6235 on: April 08, 2020, 05:12:02 PM »
The Swift Sail in WWHD makes the game exponentially more enjoyable. It doubles the speed of normal sailing and you never have to manually change the direction of the wind because the wind automatically shifts to always be at your back. It really does wonders for the enjoyment factor of the game.

Prime 1 is one of the best games I've ever played. 2 I never beat sadly, and I never played 3. I've been of the belief that Nintendo's been sitting on Metroid Prime Trilogy for a while as a plan to hype up Metroid Prime 4, and would've released it by now had they not rebooted development of MP4.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6236 on: April 08, 2020, 06:08:25 PM »
I've never had a chance to play any of the Prime games, despite loving Metroid  :blush

That's why it pisses me off that the prime trilogy is still not on Switch yet

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6237 on: April 08, 2020, 07:12:59 PM »
You both should play the trilogy if you get the chance, even on an emulator with the wiimotes connected (you could go with quite hi-res that way).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6238 on: April 08, 2020, 07:51:23 PM »
I'll only ever play it if they re-release it for a console with a traditional controller; I sold my Wii shortly after Smash Brawl came out and Nintendo disappointed me so much with it that I dropped out of gaming almost entirely for the next 10 years. I really hope they give Skyward Sword an HD remake, too, but I just don't know how that game could possibly work without motion controls. It's unfortunate that my favorite thing about the Wii was... Wii Sports. Genuinely loved playing that.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6239 on: April 08, 2020, 07:56:41 PM »
Guys, the Prime series works great with the Wii Controller. What are you all smoking?

Skyward Sword needs no remake. Wind Waker, by contrast, had a few specific things that could be improved upon to make an overall much more enjoyable gaming experience, in addition to the enhanced visuals. That can't be said for SS.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6240 on: April 08, 2020, 08:01:40 PM »
Oh, no, no, nonono. Skyward Sword more than any other Zelda game embodies the problems of post-Ocarina-pre-BOTW Zelda and BOTW emphasizes its weaknesses that much more. I'd be here all day laying into Skyward Sword if we really got into it, but I won't.  :lol
Earlier I mentioned I sold my Wii after Brawl came out, which was in '08; years later on my sister got a Wii so I managed to squeeze in a couple extra games.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6241 on: April 08, 2020, 08:07:29 PM »
Haven't played BotW, but that aside, SS's problems are too numerous and significant to be able to be resolved in a remake.  If you can spend a whole day laying in to a game, is there anything there to be worth a remake?

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6242 on: April 08, 2020, 08:35:50 PM »
It's unfortunate that my favorite thing about the Wii was... Wii Sports. Genuinely loved playing that.
Not even Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2? Okami? Xenoblade Chronicles? :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6243 on: April 08, 2020, 09:16:41 PM »
Haven't played BotW, but that aside, SS's problems are too numerous and significant to be able to be resolved in a remake.  If you can spend a whole day laying in to a game, is there anything there to be worth a remake?

Oh, for sure. While I personally can't think of how they'd get around all the mechanics and situations specifically designed with motion controls in mind, I'm sure they could. SS has a laundry list of fundamental problems that contribute to my irritation with it, but at the very least if they could think of a way it could be played with a traditional controller, that alone would at least make me play through it once again despite hating the characters and story. The dungeon design is actually pretty fantastic imo.

It's unfortunate that my favorite thing about the Wii was... Wii Sports. Genuinely loved playing that.
Not even Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2? Okami? Xenoblade Chronicles? :P

I never got to play Okami on the Wii; wasn't that a PS2 game originally? I've meant to get it on Switch for ages now. Xenoblade Chronicles I never even knew existed at the time, but after sinking 300+ hours into XC2, I'm absolutely picking up the remake on Switch. And despite being a massive Mario nerd, I just do not like Galaxy, it is the only mainline Mario game I don't like (1/3rd attributed to the motion controls and Wiimote-nunchuk deisgn, 1/3rd attributed to the ceaseless planetoid schtick that got old very fast, 1/3rd attributed to a slew of other heady concepts about Nintendo's design philosophy). Never got to play 2.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6244 on: April 08, 2020, 09:59:09 PM »
The controls of SS are the least of its problems. I found it too plodding, dull, repetitive, and linear to care to play through it again.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6245 on: April 09, 2020, 06:10:20 AM »
The controls of SS are the least of its problems. I found it too plodding, dull, repetitive, and linear to care to play through it again.

I disagree with the bold as I think it's one of the game's most glaring problems, but otherwise, yeah, 100% agree. I'm so happy they got rid of the ridiculously long and boring start of the game with BOTW.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6246 on: April 09, 2020, 06:46:26 AM »
BOTW was such a great course correction. I was very burned out on the series and I never thought that would happen.

I didn't even buy or play SS, yet I bought a switch specifically to play BOTW.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6247 on: April 09, 2020, 07:10:44 AM »
As an on-again, off-again gamer, the FF and Zelda series' confound me.    I loved the Legend of Zelda and the Adventure Of Link on NES, but since I got away from the Nintendo platform, it's been hard to follow that series.   I loved the first Final Fantasy on NES, but again, it's been hard to follow.  I got a Wii and I remember renting a FF game (remember when you could do that? From the video store? :)) and it seemed to be a purely combat game using the nunchuks, and it did nothing for me.  I'm more a RPG guy at heart. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6248 on: April 09, 2020, 07:18:47 AM »
As an on-again, off-again gamer, the FF and Zelda series' confound me.    I loved the Legend of Zelda and the Adventure Of Link on NES, but since I got away from the Nintendo platform, it's been hard to follow that series.   I loved the first Final Fantasy on NES, but again, it's been hard to follow.  I got a Wii and I remember renting a FF game (remember when you could do that? From the video store? :)) and it seemed to be a purely combat game using the nunchuks, and it did nothing for me.  I'm more a RPG guy at heart.

I implore you, I beg you, I'm pleading, play Final Fantasy 6 sometime. It was the last 'traditional' 2D Final Fantasy before 7 shifted the series into full 3D for the mainline (numbered) entries and is basically the culmination of everything you could want in a traditional FF/JRPG game. And the music is still in the pantheon of greatest game soundtracks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6249 on: April 09, 2020, 07:21:48 AM »

I implore you, I beg you, I'm pleading, play Final Fantasy 6 sometime. It was the last 'traditional' 2D Final Fantasy before 7 shifted the series into full 3D for the mainline (numbered) entries and is basically the culmination of everything you could want in a traditional FF/JRPG game. And the music is still in the pantheon of greatest game soundtracks.

I'll look into that; but that's an example of what I mean:  is it "VI" or "III"??  :) :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6250 on: April 09, 2020, 07:24:30 AM »

I'll look into that; but that's an example of what I mean:  is it "VI" or "III"??  :) :)

Technically, it's VI. II, III, and V were not released in North America at the time, so they thought it would be less confusing if they just renamed VI to III for North America. :)

Basically you want the one with mechs and Kefka and some chick named Terra. :)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6251 on: April 09, 2020, 07:52:55 AM »
Final Fantasy VI is by far my favorite right after VII. Probably would be my favorite if I didn't play VII first

And honestly I would LOVE to see them do a remake of VI after they finish with VII.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 08:37:39 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6252 on: April 09, 2020, 08:47:49 AM »
Final Fantasy VI is by far my favorite right after VII. Probably would be my favorite if I didn't play VII first

And honestly I would LOVE to see them do a remake of VI after they finish with VII.

Ever since they announced Octopath Traveler I've been dreaming of an 8PT-style remake of 6. We're getting the big wallop of a 3D remake with FF7, so why not scale it back a bit while still doing something impressive visually? I think since FF7R is a reality now, anything is possible. :)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6253 on: April 09, 2020, 09:42:56 AM »
I played FFVI when the SNES Classic came out and I was surprised at how into it I was after not playing it for....15 years? or more.

BOTW was such a great course correction. I was very burned out on the series and I never thought that would happen.

I didn't even buy or play SS, yet I bought a switch specifically to play BOTW.

I Wouldn't say I was burned by the series, but BOTW is the game I didn't know I wanted from the Zelda franchise. It feels so different, yet familiar. It's the first Zelda game (that I remember) with a non-linear story, and it worked great. It's not perfect, there are things I feel could've been done better, but those things are overshadowed by the rest of the game.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6254 on: April 09, 2020, 10:41:56 AM »
I played FFVI when the SNES Classic came out and I was surprised at how into it I was after not playing it for....15 years? or more.

I think its a real testament to how well of a job the developers did with VI since I didn't even first play it till like 2003 and ate it up.

IV, V and VI were all released for PS1 and with IV and V, I toyed around with them, but didn't go very far in the game, but VI really got me engaged with everything it brought to the table, and I couldn't put it down.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6255 on: April 09, 2020, 10:44:41 AM »
V was the first FF I ever played. In hindsight it is a rather milquetoast, inoffensive entry into the series with one of the weaker plots, yet it's still one of my most favorite FFs. I re-purchased IX on the Switch. Love that game, I just hate that they didn't update the load times. Oh my god, the 10 second wait going into every single battle is absurd.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #6256 on: April 09, 2020, 11:32:53 AM »
You guys are all describing Ultima VI for me.  I'm sure primitive by today's standards, but at the time?  I used to sit in my apartment for hours playing that.   More than once I'd look up and the sun was coming up.

Loved the Ultima games. Started with 2 and played 3 & 4 and 7 as well. Those games were great.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6257 on: April 09, 2020, 03:18:15 PM »

I don't think Final Fantasy or Zelda really follow an overall story line. Or do they? I've played a handful of Zelda games over the years. Each game seems to be a reboot or something.

I never really extensively played any Final Fantasy games. I bought 7 many years ago and didn't get into it at all. I'm not a big fan of 3D games that use turnbased combat. Seems like a waste of the 3D game engine especially a nice modern engine.

I played the demo for FF XV and I enjoyed it. I might get it when it goes on sale.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6258 on: April 09, 2020, 03:34:57 PM »
Neither franchise follows an overall plot; Final Fantasy is a new world every time (unless it's explicitly a sequel ie X-2, XIII-2 etc.). Zelda mostly takes place within the same 'world' but almost each game is standalone and wholly separate from the other entities with only vague connective tissue between a few titles. Ever since the 'timeline' became a thing 20 years ago, they've tried to explain it and it all comes off very shoehorn-y but I eat it up.

Although Zelda is more connected than FF in that the basic premise stems from the eternal curse in which the Hero, the Princess, and the Evil King are reborn throughout the centuries and millennia.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6259 on: April 09, 2020, 03:44:33 PM »
Neither franchise follows an overall plot; Final Fantasy is a new world every time (unless it's explicitly a sequel ie X-2, XIII-2 etc.). Zelda mostly takes place within the same 'world' but almost each game is standalone and wholly separate from the other entities with only vague connective tissue between a few titles. Ever since the 'timeline' became a thing 20 years ago, they've tried to explain it and it all comes off very shoehorn-y but I eat it up.

Although Zelda is more connected than FF in that the basic premise stems from the eternal curse in which the Hero, the Princess, and the Evil King are reborn throughout the centuries and millennia.

I kind of like how each game is its own thing for the most part. This makes me want to get into Final Fantasy but I don't know where to start...but then again it probably doesn't matter where I start. I also like the weird Final Fantasy world. It's unlike every other RPG I've played. I haven't played many (or any) JRPGs though. Perhaps that weirdness of the game world is a staple in JRPGs.

I've been looking at the remastered versions of Final Fantasy X & X2-2. Is this considered a good FF game?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6260 on: April 09, 2020, 03:53:39 PM »

I kind of like how each game is its own thing for the most part. This makes me want to get into Final Fantasy but I don't know where to start...but then again it probably doesn't matter where I start. I also like the weird Final Fantasy world. It's unlike every other RPG I've played. I haven't played many (or any) JRPGs though. Perhaps that weirdness of the game world is a staple in JRPGs.

I've been looking at the remastered versions of Final Fantasy X & X2-2. Is this considered a good FF game?

JRPGs are definitely a different beast in regards to the world designs. Much more 'out there' and in a different way than western RPGs.

Final Fantasy is weird in that pretty much every game is a different animal with a different magic/skill system and loads of other stuff, but there are a few constants: Gil (currency), airships, a dude named Cid who is an airship expert, and spells like Fira, Thundara, Blizzaga, Cura etc.

X is a fantastic FF game, but it's so much different from what came before. 1-9 are "traditional" FFs - developed by the 'old guard', most of whom split the company between 7 and 9 but mostly after 9 if I recall correctly. So it shares elements with older FFs, but does so much new stuff to reinvent the series and try telling the story in new, cinematic ways. I was playing the remaster until I got a PS4 over the holidays last year, and I was really enjoying the enhanced models and textures and reliving the story and that awesome battle system. Plus, the Sphere Grid system is (imo) the best level-up system Final Fantasy has ever had. X-2 is a different animal... I'm not a fan, but it has its audience. It's certainly no X, though. Picking up both, remastered, for a decent price is well worth it though. On the Switch, it only cost me 25 USD.

Oh and there's a character in X who is so ridiculously designed that he looks more like a Kingdom Hearts character  :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6261 on: April 09, 2020, 03:56:25 PM »

JRPGs are definitely a different beast in regards to the world designs. Much more 'out there' and in a different way than western RPGs.

Final Fantasy is weird in that pretty much every game is a different animal with a different magic/skill system and loads of other stuff, but there are a few constants: Gil (currency), airships, a dude named Cid who is an airship expert, and spells like Fira, Thundara, Blizzaga, Cura etc.

X is a fantastic FF game, but it's so much different from what came before. 1-9 are "traditional" FFs - developed by the 'old guard', most of whom split the company between 7 and 9 but mostly after 9 if I recall correctly. So it shares elements with older FFs, but does so much new stuff to reinvent the series and try telling the story in new, cinematic ways. I was playing the remaster until I got a PS4 over the holidays last year, and I was really enjoying the enhanced models and textures and reliving the story and that awesome battle system. Plus, the Sphere Grid system is (imo) the best level-up system Final Fantasy has ever had. X-2 is a different animal... I'm not a fan, but it has its audience. It's certainly no X, though. Picking up both, remastered, for a decent price is well worth it though. On the Switch, it only cost me 25 USD.

Thanks for the breakdown! I'll look more into it. Need something to play while I recover from The Plague :(

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6262 on: April 09, 2020, 03:57:27 PM »
FFX is great, probably my favorite FF followed by FFIX. X-2 it’s a hit or miss. Some people love it, others hate it.

Plus FFX has Blitzball!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6263 on: April 09, 2020, 03:58:09 PM »
Recover ASAP Herrick!! If you get it (or any FF) report back with your thoughts :) there's so many potential paths to take depending on what your first FF is and what you think of it.

And yeah, Blitzball! I couldn't play it well if my life depended on it, but people get obsessed with that game.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #6264 on: April 09, 2020, 04:05:37 PM »
A quick thought, while we're on the subject. I'm aware it gets a bad rep, but I've loved FFVIII, despite the hateful draw system.