Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 483406 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #5390 on: October 08, 2019, 01:55:19 AM »
Video game explosions are actually a lie

I never realised most explosions in 3D games are in 2D.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5391 on: October 08, 2019, 06:36:37 AM »
I didn't think I'd care about gaming a whole lot when I bought my PC, but now I'm kind of pissed I didn't drop another $500 or $600 to make something really beef cake.

I dont see why you still couldnt although maybe it's best to just wait until next cycle since you it's still new. You're enjoying what you got now so theres nothing wrong with that and leaving plenty of wiggle room to improve your rig in the future.

I'm starting to fall behind with my 1080 and i7 6700 but that's falling behind the latest and greatest, I can still play and record my gameplay with green screen just fine.

I really just want to play Red Dead on ultra settings with a Thomas the Tank Engine mod.

What's a relatively inexpensive game that will stress test a machine pretty good? I don't want to have to buy GTA-V for a third time to find out.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5392 on: October 08, 2019, 06:50:38 AM »
I didn't think I'd care about gaming a whole lot when I bought my PC, but now I'm kind of pissed I didn't drop another $500 or $600 to make something really beef cake.

I dont see why you still couldnt although maybe it's best to just wait until next cycle since you it's still new. You're enjoying what you got now so theres nothing wrong with that and leaving plenty of wiggle room to improve your rig in the future.

I'm starting to fall behind with my 1080 and i7 6700 but that's falling behind the latest and greatest, I can still play and record my gameplay with green screen just fine.

I really just want to play Red Dead on ultra settings with a Thomas the Tank Engine mod.

What's a relatively inexpensive game that will stress test a machine pretty good? I don't want to have to buy GTA-V for a third time to find out.
Wouldn't a GPU benchmark program be better?

Metro Redux is pretty cheap I think though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5393 on: October 08, 2019, 02:48:09 PM »

Look up some reviews from recent video card reviews and check out the games they use to benchmark. Those are always a good start.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5394 on: October 09, 2019, 01:20:58 PM »
RDR specs:

150GB, yeez!  :omg:

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5395 on: October 09, 2019, 01:34:29 PM »
This is what I'm working with. I don't exactly know what it all means, but it appears to at least meet the minimum.

Processor   2.8 GHz Intel Core i5
RAM   8 GB DDR4
Hard Drive   1024 GB 7200 RPM SATA III
Graphics Coprocessor   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
Chipset Brand   NVIDIA
Card Description   Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB
Graphics Card Ram Size   3 GB

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5396 on: October 09, 2019, 01:41:37 PM »
Yea, you'll definitely be able to play it, not on max though.  This looks like it's going to have some graphical upgrades compared to console include draw distance.  That's going to require some beef that I won't even have.  I'm sure it's going to still look better on your rig Chino than on console. 

I'm really looking forward to this and so happy its coming fairly soon.  I haven't been gaming much at all lately, mostly just too busy with other things but another reason is there hasn't been a game I have been itching to play, this will definitely get me back into hardcore gaming. 

Chino, we will have to form a posse, I know some of the other guys we game with are drooling for this like I am too.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5397 on: October 09, 2019, 01:47:40 PM »
This is what I'm working with. I don't exactly know what it all means, but it appears to at least meet the minimum.

RAM   8 GB DDR4
Chipset Brand   NVIDIA
Looks good, if your MB allows you some more RAM that might be a good thing to upgrade just to be sure.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5398 on: October 09, 2019, 01:49:43 PM »
True, 8GB isn't that much these days for gaming.  I upgraded a year ago to 16GB because 8GB was starting to become a bottleneck

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5399 on: October 09, 2019, 01:57:54 PM »
Nice. I have another RAM slot available, making the upgrade to 16GB easy. I'll have to confirm, but I'm pretty sure I'm able to go up to 32GB if I wanted to drop x2 16GB cards in there. I'll do that for sure seeing as that's a pretty cheap and easy upgrade.   

Consider me in for a posse!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5400 on: October 09, 2019, 05:33:44 PM »

RAM   8 GB DDR4
Chipset Brand   NVIDIA
Looks good, if your MB allows you some more RAM that might be a good thing to upgrade just to be sure.

I actually think if anything is going to be a problem it'll be VRAM. I'm not sure what the return policy is for the Rockstar store but if you don't mind waiting a month you can always grab the steam copy when it comes out a month later and return it if it doesn't run well.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #5401 on: October 09, 2019, 06:07:38 PM »
apparently the new yooka laylee game is good and I'm a sucker for platformers so I'm gonna play it

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5402 on: October 10, 2019, 07:55:41 AM »
Maybe one of you guys could help guide me here. 

This is the PC I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0757DVF4Z/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

For some reason, it's $1000 now. I paid $829. As far as I can tell, mine is identical to the one listed there.

It has a single 8GB stick of RAM in there with an opening for another. I'm looking on Amazon, and it looks like these are typically sold in pairs. I don't mind buying two new sticks. This model can handle up to 64GB of RAM, so I'm wondering if I should just up it to 32GB while I'm at it and never have to think about it again. Any recommendations? It looks like I need to use DDR4s.   

I was think about one of the following:

Patriot Memory Viper 4 Series DDR4 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3000MHz (PC4-24000) Dual Module Kit
$125
https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Memory-3200MHz-PC4-25600-Module/dp/B01E1XR5X6/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=ddr4+32GB&qid=1570715609&sr=8-13

Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 32GB (16GBx2)
$157
https://www.amazon.com/Ballistix-16GBx2-PC4-25600-288-Pin-Gaming/dp/B07MNJTVF2/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=ddr4+32GB&qid=1570715609&sr=8-15

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5403 on: October 10, 2019, 08:04:05 AM »
If you matched speed/size you could get away using a different brand memory dimm but it's not advised like you said.  If you really want to up it to 32GB, then go for it.  I'm guessing your question is more along the lines of if 200MHz is worth the extra ~30 bucks.  For one, I haven't shopped memory in a year, but it seems prices have gone down as I think I paid around $120 for 2x 8 GB.  I don't remember the speed off my head but I did get LED dimms though, maybe that added to the price but if I recall that price was pretty average at the time.  I would say, if 30 bucks isn't going to break your bank, get the faster memory, but if this upgrade is under a tight budget, you aren't going to lose any sleep going with the slower memory.  You're still getting a good upgrade.

As for the price rise, could be cost of parts have gone up.  Or could just be low stock so they upped the price, that link says only 1 left.  Could be other things too, who knows.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5404 on: October 10, 2019, 08:28:55 AM »
You would be better off with RAM that has tighter timings and latency, like https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232218

It's a little more expensive, but it will perform better in demanding games and last you a lot longer.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5405 on: October 10, 2019, 08:46:10 PM »
Thanks for the input fellas. I just pre-ordered Red Dead for PC.

I opted for the $59 version this time around. I splurged for the $100 edition when I pre-ordered on the PS4.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5406 on: October 11, 2019, 06:42:41 AM »
My PC seems to handle LA Noire on max everything, so that's cool.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5407 on: October 11, 2019, 07:24:10 AM »
Having serious regrets about selling my PC now... every day I want RDR2 more and more. But all the money I could spend on a PC has to repair my car's blown head gasket, $1500+ :(

Lately I've been playing Lumines again. Throw it on shuffle and I end up killing an hour, 10 minutes in I'm fully in a trance-like state and the positive feedback loop is overwhelming. I want to resume Hollow Knight because I'm still only like 20% through it but man it's so frustrating to constantly die
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5408 on: October 17, 2019, 07:59:50 AM »
They patched Jedi Knight II so now you can invert the controls so I've playing a crap load of it.

MY GOD, I forgot how different games were like back in the day, like the days before rechargeable health. I have to pay way closer attention to what I am doing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5409 on: October 17, 2019, 08:20:13 AM »
They made a new ranked mode in Apex Legends, well I think they did awhile ago but I never noticed, and started playing it on the new map for season 3.  I'm pretty sure it must be that I've never played ranked mode before that I'm matched with people who also haven't played, but I played so much in season 1 that I've gotten a few wins and so many 2nd place finishes the last two nights.  It's not because I'm good though since if I play normal (not ranked) or with friends (ranked or normal) I get my ass handed to me.  Something about playing solo ranked gets me playing against noobs and I like it  :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5410 on: October 17, 2019, 12:16:23 PM »
They patched Jedi Knight II so now you can invert the controls so I've playing a crap load of it.

MY GOD, I forgot how different games were like back in the day, like the days before rechargeable health. I have to pay way closer attention to what I am doing.

What platform are you playing on? I find the difficulty of Sekiro and Hollow Knight (base game) almost casual compared to this shit. I can't hit anyone with that goddamn blaster. Honestly I find it a bit too frustrating but am too far in to consider an easy mode new game (now on normal). Since the Switch version is a port of the pc version, I am kind of believing this version was not optimised for a controller, unlike the xbox/gc versions. Haven't played post patch so maybe they altered stuff.

I did change head bobble and I was better instantly, but still, when I am standing still and my enemy as well, with the reticule pointing at said enemy who is not aware of me yet, that fucking gun still misses every now and then!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5411 on: October 17, 2019, 12:38:53 PM »
I am on switch and also can't hit anything  :lol

Its kind of a disaster, but I'm making do. Mouse and keyboard was way better, but it is what it is.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5412 on: October 17, 2019, 01:03:04 PM »
They don't have aim assist in the Switch version?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5413 on: October 17, 2019, 02:28:36 PM »
I don't think so. Its a very bare bones port. They didn't even let you invert the Y-axis until a few days ago  :P

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5414 on: October 17, 2019, 03:06:35 PM »
I don't think so. Its a very bare bones port. They didn't even let you invert the Y-axis until a few days ago  :P

That's lame. I don't think I could play a console shooter without aim assist.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5415 on: October 18, 2019, 07:16:43 AM »
I'm strongly considering buying Ring Fit Adventure for my Switch
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5416 on: October 19, 2019, 02:10:41 PM »

Agreed.

Luckily, I have gotten to the Jedi part so the FPS dynamic is pretty much out the window  :D

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5417 on: October 19, 2019, 03:50:38 PM »

Agreed.

Luckily, I have gotten to the Jedi part so the FPS dynamic is pretty much out the window  :D

Ah I remember it taking quite a while to get the lightsaber. That reminds me. I should really try to finish Jedi Academy.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5418 on: October 19, 2019, 05:01:15 PM »
Oh my god. Did it ever  :P

I forgot how long it took back in the day. FOUR full length long ass levels of just first person blaster and I was getting my ass handed to me, lol. But its all good now that I got the saber and some powers.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5419 on: October 20, 2019, 08:00:44 PM »
playing The Last Remnant again because I finally bought the Switch port -- god damn I love this game so much, warts and all. third system I've purchased this on and I can't get enough of it

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5420 on: October 22, 2019, 02:13:19 AM »
As I will be frequently travelling, I bought Baldur's Gate for the Switch. It seems a bit intimidating to get into, but thus far I think it controls well and I can recognise a lot of Bioware trademarks, which is why I bought it in the first place. Decided to start with the first one. The companion acting seems a bit wooden/over the top, but I can get used to that. I am surprised how much this combat  system is like Knights of the Old Republic and Dragon Age. The game looks ugly, but in a charming way that reminds me of 90's PC games I used to watch other people play when I was a little kid.

If I end up enjoying this, then I will consider Planescape: Torment and Neverwinter Nights.

Agreed.

I think I am a couple of missions in, so it seems I need to perservere for a bit. That said, I actually really love those first levels in a way, but the shooting is just too damn frustrating at times.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5421 on: October 22, 2019, 06:43:52 AM »
I got The Last of Us for free this month on PS Plus and have been playing it.   

I like it for the most part. It's very nicely polished. However, it did an auto save at a checkpoint and I have 1 bar of health with no ammo or weapons. I've spent about 3 hours now trying to advance and just can't do it. I would really like to not have to start the game over, but there doesn't appear to be a way to go back more than one save.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5422 on: October 22, 2019, 08:44:27 AM »
I got The Last of Us for free this month on PS Plus and have been playing it.   

I like it for the most part. It's very nicely polished. However, it did an auto save at a checkpoint and I have 1 bar of health with no ammo or weapons. I've spent about 3 hours now trying to advance and just can't do it. I would really like to not have to start the game over, but there doesn't appear to be a way to go back more than one save.

I believe you can go to chapter select and restart it on the difficulty you were playing. Pretty much all recent ND games have this option.

Also, where are you in the game?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5423 on: October 24, 2019, 08:49:51 PM »
I've been hearing some amazing things about Outer Worlds which I believe is made from the Fallout New Vegas devs so I'm downloading it now to try out, it's on gamepass if anyone is interested.

Also speaking of fallout they launched their fallout first program today but seemingly forgot to register the domain before someone else did: https://falloutfirst.com/

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #5424 on: October 24, 2019, 09:23:29 PM »
Also speaking of fallout they launched their fallout first program today but seemingly forgot to register the domain before someone else did: https://falloutfirst.com/
brilliant  :rollin
i heard jim sterling mention this today as well, the internet is sometimes Good