Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 483234 times)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #5250 on: July 05, 2019, 03:58:10 PM »
Finished Mankind Divided last night, very good game. Not as strong as Human Revolution, definitely didn't feel like the ideas were as big or your decisions are as impactful, but the storytelling was still excellent and it's very well set up for what I guess will be the concluding part of a trilogy. I know it didn't sell as well so there's not been much going on development-wise, but I'm sure it'll come at some point.

I will gladly play another Deus Ex game. Whenever they finish with this storyline, I'd like to see another one that takes place during J.C. Denton's time maybe even a reboot of the first game. That first game has not aged well in certain areas. The gun combat was shit even back when the game came out.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5251 on: July 06, 2019, 08:16:01 AM »
Finished Mankind Divided last night, very good game. Not as strong as Human Revolution, definitely didn't feel like the ideas were as big or your decisions are as impactful, but the storytelling was still excellent and it's very well set up for what I guess will be the concluding part of a trilogy. I know it didn't sell as well so there's not been much going on development-wise, but I'm sure it'll come at some point.

I will gladly play another Deus Ex game. Whenever they finish with this storyline, I'd like to see another one that takes place during J.C. Denton's time maybe even a reboot of the first game. That first game has not aged well in certain areas. The gun combat was shit even back when the game came out.

I just finished Human Revolution and loved it.  Well, liked it a real lot.  It wasn't System Shock or Bioshock (or Thief, for that matter) but it was good, and a great story.  I haven't upgraded my systems yet, though, so it'll be a while before I revisit this franchise. 

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5252 on: July 06, 2019, 12:54:33 PM »

I just finished Human Revolution and loved it.  Well, liked it a real lot.  It wasn't System Shock or Bioshock (or Thief, for that matter) but it was good, and a great story.  I haven't upgraded my systems yet, though, so it'll be a while before I revisit this franchise.

I didn't realize how long ago Humang Revolution came out. Makes me feel old :(
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 07:19:22 PM by Herrick »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5253 on: July 09, 2019, 05:42:05 AM »
Project Cars 2 + VR + Wheel, pedals and shift is just so much fun! I whish that there was a VR game for just driving around like in GTA, that would be awesome. I know there's a VR mod for GTAV, I have to try it.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5254 on: July 09, 2019, 06:26:26 AM »
Played Rocket League for the first time in years last night, forgot how much fun that game is to just pick up and play a few competitive matches.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5255 on: July 10, 2019, 01:42:10 PM »
I loved playing through Human Revolution and Mankind Divided. Can't say if I preferred one over the other. Maybe I'd give a slight nod to HR.

Just finished AM2R. Loved it. Never played the Original Metroid 2, didn't ever own a Gameboy (never owned Metroid for NES when it came out either for that matter). I highly recommend it to any Metroid fans or NES/SNES fans in general who have not checked it out.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5256 on: July 11, 2019, 04:44:07 AM »
I loved playing through Human Revolution and Mankind Divided. Can't say if I preferred one over the other. Maybe I'd give a slight nod to HR.

Just finished AM2R. Loved it. Never played the Original Metroid 2, didn't ever own a Gameboy (never owned Metroid for NES when it came out either for that matter). I highly recommend it to any Metroid fans or NES/SNES fans in general who have not checked it out.

Have you played the official 3ds remake of Metroid 2? Haven't gotten to that one yet, but it seems well made.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5257 on: July 11, 2019, 06:59:02 AM »
Just about done with God of War then it's on to Spider Man. Just beat the Queen Valkyrie and then will start the end-game tonight. 

Offline busty sinclair

« Reply #5258 on: July 11, 2019, 02:21:18 PM »
i've been obsessed with spiderman. Its an easy to game to platinum so i did that on the first run and now i'm just trying to get 100% on all the dlc/new game plus run

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5259 on: July 14, 2019, 07:42:32 PM »
Just about done with God of War then it's on to Spider Man. Just beat the Queen Valkyrie and then will start the end-game tonight.

Spider-Mang was awesome. Even the main story was pretty good and it had a few emotional parts. The only gameplay aspect I dislike was playing as the two non-Spider-Man characters.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5260 on: July 15, 2019, 04:24:43 AM »
The gameplay in Spider-Man is superb, but the story and open world didn't do that much for me. Compared to the similar Arkham games, many of the missions didn't have enough spectacle/setpieces overall for me and the amount of compelling bossfights is far too little. But, the gameplay is so damn good that I still think it is a great game. The sequel has a huge amount of potential.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5261 on: July 15, 2019, 06:11:54 AM »
The gameplay in Spider-Man is superb, but the story and open world didn't do that much for me. Compared to the similar Arkham games, many of the missions didn't have enough spectacle/setpieces overall for me and the amount of compelling bossfights is far too little. But, the gameplay is so damn good that I still think it is a great game. The sequel has a huge amount of potential.
The story got quite good towards the end, but yeah for a lot of it the narrative wasn't especially gripipng. The DLC was much better in story terms actually.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5262 on: July 15, 2019, 07:59:04 AM »

True. A lot of the locations were generic. It's tough to compare the location to a place like Gotham City though.

The boss fights weren't very good but I've never been a big fan of boss fights. I think most of them are annoying but the ones in Spider-Mang were decent.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #5263 on: July 17, 2019, 12:22:34 AM »
GPU in my gaming laptop died yesterday, and the computer is too old to buy a new one that would actually fit into it. There's second-hand replacements available for about $250 but I don't want to spend that much on what is ultimately a 7-year-old preowned device that could die at any moment like my own just did. So I pretty much need to buy and build a new desktop at some point in the future now in order to get back into gaming on PC.

Good thing I have a Switch and there's more than enough games on it and coming up soon that I'm interested in, but it's still annoying that I won't be able to play anything on PC for a while.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5264 on: July 17, 2019, 05:57:44 PM »
I finally finished Days Gone...I think. There's what appears to be another story mission after the credits so I'm going to do that when I get home from work.

I wish weapon progression was a little faster. I felt like I was using the same shit weapons for at least half of the game. I don't know. Maybe I was doing something wrong. I probably could've gotten more trust and camp credits earlier if I had went after hordes, but I really do not like hordes. The only times I destroyed a horde was when I was forced to do so in a story mission.

I really disliked how you get locked out of the northern section of the game until the last few story missions. And it's not like you have to do a few missions in this other area before being allowed to go back north. You get locked out for a shitton of missions and hours and hours. At least we get a warning but I still thought that was an odd thing to do.

Performance on the PS4 slim was pretty shit compared to Spider-Man, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and what I've played of God of War. All those games looked a lot better too.

Days Gone is definitely a "wait for a sale" kinda game. I got it on sale for $40 and I felt like I got my money's worth because it was fun and it took a long time to finish (I rarely fast traveled).

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5265 on: July 23, 2019, 05:03:45 PM »
I love open world survival games and played probably most that's out there but I honestly think Scum is one of the most detail survival games atm. The level of detail in alot of it's gameplay mechanics are insane and there's so much more to come. It' not without it's fair share of bugs though unfortunately however the devs are very open and releases frequent patches.

Also called nutrion simulator  :lol

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5266 on: July 23, 2019, 08:35:53 PM »
What's the goal of the game aside from surviving? Is it a zombie survival game?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5267 on: July 24, 2019, 12:43:18 AM »
What's the goal of the game aside from surviving? Is it a zombie survival game?
"The gameplay takes place in Croatia where up to 100 players per server will attempt to survive and get off the island by first removing the implant which prevents them from leaving."
You play as an inmate placed on a prison island with zombies, wild animals, mechs and other inmates(players) however the island is huge so there's plenty of room to hide and build camp.
You have to keep your character in check by eating and drinking and fighting off diffrent diseases that's what the metabolism overlay is for. As I mentioned the detail in this game is insane, I mean it gets to the point that in rain and snow your individual gear and clothes will get wet and get heavier which slows you down unless you sit at a fire to dry off, a raincoat will cover some parts of your body which is handy aaaand you have too piss and poop. :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5268 on: July 24, 2019, 06:24:24 AM »
My friend tried to get me to buy it months ago, I watched some streamers play it and its clearly not for me... too much detail and openness.  But that's just tastes, I'm not into the survival games and this one was too much with the nutrition  :lol it's hard enough keeping up in real life with this

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5269 on: July 24, 2019, 06:28:00 AM »
My friend tried to get me to buy it months ago, I watched some streamers play it and its clearly not for me... too much detail and openness.  But that's just tastes, I'm not into the survival games and this one was too much with the nutrition  :lol it's hard enough keeping up in real life with this
Yea it's not for everyone, it's a niche genre even though it's quite popular.
Ever since I played the DayZ mod back in the day i've been hooked on that kind of gameplay where no one holds your hand.  :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 10:48:13 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5270 on: July 24, 2019, 06:37:20 AM »

Yeah, I couldn't even be bothered to eat and work out in GTA San Andreas  :rollin :rollin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5271 on: July 24, 2019, 01:40:47 PM »

Yeah, I couldn't even be bothered to eat and work out in GTA San Andreas  :rollin :rollin
I loved that about SA!  :lol

I think what draws me to this kind of games is the variety in all the diffrent game mechanics combined. Another factor that I love about multiplayer survival on public servers is that when you're not playing together with your friends everyone can login at there own time and gather resources, food and loot in general or improve the camp/base.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5272 on: July 24, 2019, 01:54:15 PM »
My thing?  I don't want any game that makes me feel worse about myself than I already do.  ;)  :)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5273 on: July 24, 2019, 02:45:03 PM »
Just got the latest Tomb Raider (Shadow of the tomb raider) and I am liking it so far.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5274 on: July 24, 2019, 03:18:30 PM »
Just got the latest Tomb Raider (Shadow of the tomb raider) and I am liking it so far.

It seems like this game has been on sale every couple months since it came out. I really enjoyed the previous two games but I've heard mixed things about this one. I'm waiting for a big sale.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5275 on: July 24, 2019, 03:48:49 PM »

It seems like this game has been on sale every couple months since it came out. I really enjoyed the previous two games but I've heard mixed things about this one. I'm waiting for a big sale.

If you really enjoyed the previous two, I see no reason why you wouldn't like it.  Its very similar to the last and just as good.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5276 on: July 24, 2019, 04:11:05 PM »

If you really enjoyed the previous two, I see no reason why you wouldn't like it.  Its very similar to the last and just as good.

Sexcellent. I have many games to play so I'll keep waiting for a sale.

I bought the Dishonored: Death of the Outsider for $6 today. I liked the second game but not enough to pay $30 for the sequel or whatever it is. Shit come to think of it, I haven't even played the DLC for the first game. Ah so many games.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5277 on: July 24, 2019, 04:49:16 PM »
I finally finished Days Gone...I think. There's what appears to be another story mission after the credits so I'm going to do that when I get home from work.

I wish weapon progression was a little faster. I felt like I was using the same shit weapons for at least half of the game. I don't know. Maybe I was doing something wrong. I probably could've gotten more trust and camp credits earlier if I had went after hordes, but I really do not like hordes. The only times I destroyed a horde was when I was forced to do so in a story mission.

I really disliked how you get locked out of the northern section of the game until the last few story missions. And it's not like you have to do a few missions in this other area before being allowed to go back north. You get locked out for a shitton of missions and hours and hours. At least we get a warning but I still thought that was an odd thing to do.

Performance on the PS4 slim was pretty shit compared to Spider-Man, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and what I've played of God of War. All those games looked a lot better too.

Days Gone is definitely a "wait for a sale" kinda game. I got it on sale for $40 and I felt like I got my money's worth because it was fun and it took a long time to finish (I rarely fast traveled).

For me personally, the level design was great. The different (large) sections that were cut off gave me a sense of journey throughout the game and it made sense narrative wise. One of my pet peeves in many open world titles is that I have often already barged into a major end game location by just messing around. Usually early on you have some kind of trip, only for the game to make the world feel like a small town with a magical variety of ecosystems. Days Gone felt like an actual state, with several long trips and separated segments. Furthermore, the open world is built in a way that it has many smaller well-designed levels somewhat akin to TLOU. You can really map out how you are going to approach an encounter and lead the enemies in certain ways (using traps and environmental contextual elements).

In regards of the hordes, that is one of the major elements that changed the game for me. So if you don't enjoy those, that is a massive damper on the overall experience. I loved planning out routes to take them down. And the tension of encountering one in the wild at night and somehow coming out victorious is great. Perhaps due to the way I play, but there were several instances were I had to fight for my life for like half an hour, just to get to my bike and get away. And not just due to the hordes. In games like Far Cry I never feel any sense of danger, in Days Gone shit can go down. In one instance I found myself in a random battle royale with most enemy types both attacking each other and me. In regards to enemies attacking each other, luring a horde to clear an enemy camp for me just felt fantastic.

There are negatives I definitely agree with. The game runs badly, the progression of weapons/bike parts is very slow initially and the early guns don't feel good, the graphics are less than some other major Sony titles (though personally I am not as charmed by Spidey as most people seem to be). And at times it is super apparent that they used to have Mass-Effect style choices (little awkward pauses, you can even compare it to older footage of the game to see this). And there is a myriad of small technical issues that add up.

While I really like the game, I agree with "wait for sale" in terms of recommending it to others, it comes with quite some caveats.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5278 on: July 24, 2019, 05:03:55 PM »
For me personally, the level design was great. The different (large) sections that were cut off gave me a sense of journey throughout the game and it made sense narrative wise. One of my pet peeves in many open world titles is that I have often already barged into a major end game location by just messing around. Usually early on you have some kind of trip, only for the game to make the world feel like a small town with a magical variety of ecosystems. Days Gone felt like an actual state, with several long trips and separated segments. Furthermore, the open world is built in a way that it has many smaller well-designed levels somewhat akin to TLOU. You can really map out how you are going to approach an encounter and lead the enemies in certain ways (using traps and environmental contextual elements).

In regards of the hordes, that is one of the major elements that changed the game for me. So if you don't enjoy those, that is a massive damper on the overall experience. I loved planning out routes to take them down. And the tension of encountering one in the wild at night and somehow coming out victorious is great. Perhaps due to the way I play, but there were several instances were I had to fight for my life for like half an hour, just to get to my bike and get away. And not just due to the hordes. In games like Far Cry I never feel any sense of danger, in Days Gone shit can go down. In one instance I found myself in a random battle royale with most enemy types both attacking each other and me. In regards to enemies attacking each other, luring a horde to clear an enemy camp for me just felt fantastic.

There are negatives I definitely agree with. The game runs badly, the progression of weapons/bike parts is very slow initially and the early guns don't feel good, the graphics are less than some other major Sony titles (though personally I am not as charmed by Spidey as most people seem to be). And at times it is super apparent that they used to have Mass-Effect style choices (little awkward pauses, you can even compare it to older footage of the game to see this). And there is a myriad of small technical issues that add up.

While I really like the game, I agree with "wait for sale" in terms of recommending it to others, it comes with quite some caveats.

There were definitely cool moments where I'd be walking on foot to a location and a fucking horde would be shambling along. There aren't many games that give me an oh shit moment like that.

It was always fun when I'd be taking out a camp and the gun shots would alert a somewhat large group of freakers. I would hide in the bushes and watch the freakers kill all or almost all of the human enemies. This was especially funny with Rippers because they just stand there in awe of the freakers and not even defend themselves :metal

But there were many annoying moments too. It seemed like whenever I came upon wolves or bears (non infected) and freakers, the animals and freakers would join forces to kill me.

I hope they make a sequel. There's a lot of potential.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5279 on: July 26, 2019, 06:18:28 PM »
Been playing more of Shadow of the tomb raider and I love it.

Its graphics are beautiful. Traversing the huge environments is very satisfying and the set pieces are a lot of fun and engaging.

And I've been goofing around with using the Tomb Raider 2 PS1 skin and its hilarious  :lol

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5280 on: July 26, 2019, 06:50:17 PM »
I've been playing a bunch of F1 2019, lots of fun. I also took a stroll on the minecraft recreation of middle earth and that is unbelievable.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5281 on: July 26, 2019, 06:54:35 PM »
I've been playing a bunch of F1 2019, lots of fun. I also took a stroll on the minecraft recreation of middle earth and that is unbelievable.

Just watched some gameplay footage of F1 2019. WOW, it looks photorealistic. And the gameplay looks fun too. Might have to pick it up sometime.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5282 on: July 26, 2019, 08:15:21 PM »

Its graphics are beautiful. Traversing the huge environments is very satisfying and the set pieces are a lot of fun and engaging.

And I've been goofing around with using the Tomb Raider 2 PS1 skin and its hilarious  :lol

It's on sale again for $20. I don't think it's ever been that cheap. Hmm...should I wait or buy it now? I'm trying to focus on God of War right now and I'm not very far into it. I like to try to play one game at a time, especially these bigger games.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5283 on: July 26, 2019, 08:27:37 PM »

Just watched some gameplay footage of F1 2019. WOW, it looks photorealistic. And the gameplay looks fun too. Might have to pick it up sometime.

It's a ton of fun and can be as difficult or as easy you want depending on the settings. It will sometimes go one sale (think $5 off) but usually the games keep their price. I think F1 2017 is still $60 so if you do get it, get it on steam and play for a couple of hours, if you don't like it, return it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5284 on: July 26, 2019, 08:33:18 PM »

It's on sale again for $20. I don't think it's ever been that cheap. Hmm...should I wait or buy it now? I'm trying to focus on God of War right now and I'm not very far into it. I like to try to play one game at a time, especially these bigger games.

That's the price I picked it up for and hot damn is it a deal. I figured "its 20 bucks, what the hell" and I am glad I did, since its been pretty awesome. I played the early parts of God of War as well and honestly Tomb Raider is gripping me a little more at the moment.