Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 481854 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #5215 on: June 15, 2019, 12:44:57 PM »
I tried to get into Monster Hunter during the trial period and the genre of game wasn't for me. It is a gorgeous game though.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5216 on: June 15, 2019, 01:27:23 PM »
The gameplay is very weird at first and it's hard to get used to. It's definitely not for everyone but I'm already in love haha.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5217 on: June 15, 2019, 03:25:08 PM »
I think my issue was that it was overwhelming, there were so many mechanics thrown at you.

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #5218 on: June 16, 2019, 02:46:51 AM »
I think my issue was that it was overwhelming, there were so many mechanics thrown at you.

That's understandable, Monster Hunter has always been a bit of a tough one to crack. World is certainly a lot easier than the previous ones but that isn't really saying much. Even just picking your weapon at the start can be a little bit overwhelming due to the number and how different they all feel. On top of that you have the crafting/upgrade system, and so on and so forth. It can be a bit overwhelming.

I do personally love it but I can def see why people don't.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5219 on: June 16, 2019, 06:06:48 AM »
Is it just me or have they in recent patches made Horde a bit harder in Mordhau?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5220 on: June 16, 2019, 09:05:33 AM »
Is it just me or have they in recent patches made Horde a bit harder in Mordhau?

I'd have to play horde mode to know, I havent touched any modes besides frontline and hardly even strayed from  my first character built

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5221 on: June 16, 2019, 10:15:04 AM »

I'd have to play horde mode to know, I havent touched any modes besides frontline and hardly even strayed from  my first character built
I play mainly Horde to level up and earn money, it's the fastest way in the game as far as I know.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5222 on: June 16, 2019, 01:33:29 PM »

I'm the same way, I have yet to play Horde. I mainly play frontline with a bit of BR sprinkled in.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5223 on: June 21, 2019, 06:07:11 AM »
For anyone that likes Castlevania symphony of the night or any other Metroidvania game, Bloodstained has been released. Its apparently pretty decent.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #5224 on: June 21, 2019, 08:41:53 AM »
Man, I think it's way more than decent. It's literally Castlevania at it's best. Even some of the songs are very clearly homages to older, popular Castlevania tracks (some so much that it teeters on reusing some hooks in the songs). But I don't say that as a bad thing, this is THE PERFECT fuck you to Konami. I hope this thing sells through the roof and revitalizes the genre even more so than other indie developers have begun to do. It is so much fun and is a great feeling of that "recognizable but fresh" feeling. Definitely expected this thing to flop and/or just be a "meh" release with how long it took and some set backs here and there, but they did it. I'm only ten hours in but as far as the core foundation of the game is concerned, this thing is Castlevania through and through, rebranded and revitalized with some new concepts, characters, lore and quality of life improvements. It's also gorgeous as hell.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5225 on: June 21, 2019, 09:01:25 AM »
I would buy it today, but for whatever reason it doesn't come out for Switch until next week. Might just bite the bullet and get it for PS4.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5226 on: June 21, 2019, 09:06:24 AM »
I bought Curse of the Moon 'cause with gold points I ended up spending like $3, so hearing about a Bloodstained game coming out got me all confused. The one I bought is 8-bit and it's all right but this one looks sleek as hell. The last Castlevania I actually loved was Dawn of Sorrow.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #5227 on: June 21, 2019, 06:35:15 PM »
Then you'll love this. That first one was a throwback game meant to be more like the original few Castlevania games. This one is absolutely made in the vein of DoS/Symphony, basically any other of the Castlevania DS games, this is right up that ally. (But also yeah, nothing will ever touch DoS for me, it's still my favorite but this is that direction)

Yeah I'm absolutely getting it for the Switch, this game is perfect for the console. Doesn't really take advantage of any PC aspects but I couldn't wait. Plus I do not mind a single bit supporting the developers more because I need more of this.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5228 on: June 24, 2019, 06:05:37 PM »
Days Gone is all right. Definitely a wait for a sale kinda game. I got it for $40 when it was on sale a couple weeks ago but even cheaper would've been better. This game is a little sloppy & unpolished compared to some of the other PS4 exclusives I've played like Zero Dawn: Horizon, Spider-Man, & God of War. To be fair, I played all those other games when they were out for a while and were presumably all patched up.

The voice acting by the main guy is unintentionally (I think?) hilarious. He'll start fucking yelling at strange moments. He says funny things like, "Why did they bury a bunch of bodies here? Oh yeah because they're assholes!". I'm not sure if Witwer (the voice actor) was trying to portray an unhinged character or if they screwed up on the volume. It doesn't really matter to me because it puts a smile on Herrick's face.

The guns aren't very fun to use because if you're not aiming at the head, it can take up to 7 shots or more to put someone down with a pistol or assault rifle. This is on hard difficulty. Hopefully it'll get better when I get access to better weapons. Melee combat is very simple yet satisfying. The motorcycle handling is all right but a little weird at first. There is a shooting mechanic while riding and it's pretty shit.

Overall Days Gone is an enjoyable game but a little dull.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5229 on: June 25, 2019, 03:02:00 PM »
Bloodstained came out for Switch today, so I am now finally playing it. I love it. Very well done  :metal

**Slight update. Apparently its a compromised experience on the switch. 30FPS frame rate vs 60 and turned down graphics. Didn't even realize it until I saw a comparison video. Great, there goes 40 dollars  :P
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 04:13:56 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5230 on: June 25, 2019, 04:34:56 PM »
Days Gone is all right. Definitely a wait for a sale kinda game. I got it for $40 when it was on sale a couple weeks ago but even cheaper would've been better. This game is a little sloppy & unpolished compared to some of the other PS4 exclusives I've played like Zero Dawn: Horizon, Spider-Man, & God of War. To be fair, I played all those other games when they were out for a while and were presumably all patched up.

The voice acting by the main guy is unintentionally (I think?) hilarious. He'll start fucking yelling at strange moments. He says funny things like, "Why did they bury a bunch of bodies here? Oh yeah because they're assholes!". I'm not sure if Witwer (the voice actor) was trying to portray an unhinged character or if they screwed up on the volume. It doesn't really matter to me because it puts a smile on Herrick's face.

The guns aren't very fun to use because if you're not aiming at the head, it can take up to 7 shots or more to put someone down with a pistol or assault rifle. This is on hard difficulty. Hopefully it'll get better when I get access to better weapons. Melee combat is very simple yet satisfying. The motorcycle handling is all right but a little weird at first. There is a shooting mechanic while riding and it's pretty shit.

Overall Days Gone is an enjoyable game but a little dull.

Days Gone is one of those games that gets (a lot) better over time. Some clunky things you will get used to and you will start getting more weapons and a whole bunch of tools, which greatly expands how you can approach combat. You will get much better and more satisfying guns and the enemies don't magically take more (though there are tougher enemy types later in the game). And the bike becomes much better with more speed and a gastank that holds a good amount of gas.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5231 on: June 25, 2019, 04:56:01 PM »
Bloodstained came out for Switch today, so I am now finally playing it. I love it. Very well done  :metal

**Slight update. Apparently its a compromised experience on the switch. 30FPS frame rate vs 60 and turned down graphics. Didn't even realize it until I saw a comparison video. Great, there goes 40 dollars  :P

I haven't played it but I read earlier a patch is coming for that.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5232 on: June 25, 2019, 06:06:31 PM »

Days Gone is one of those games that gets (a lot) better over time. Some clunky things you will get used to and you will start getting more weapons and a whole bunch of tools, which greatly expands how you can approach combat. You will get much better and more satisfying guns and the enemies don't magically take more (though there are tougher enemy types later in the game). And the bike becomes much better with more speed and a gastank that holds a good amount of gas.

Yeah I got the third fuel tank upgrade and I kinda know where all the gas tanks are throughout the various enemy camps and Nero sites I've come across. I got the ammo upgrade skill so now I have 50 rounds for my M-14 rifle which is nice and 60 rounds for the SAP9 pistol. Just sucks you can't pick up 9mm rounds from enemies just because the guns are different.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #5233 on: June 26, 2019, 02:06:12 PM »
I've been thinking about re-playing Black Mesa (HD remake of Half-Life), but I've also been waiting for Crowbar Collective to finish the Xen levels. Well, the full levels still need some finishing touches, but they released technical beta today! It'll be great to see what they've done with the oft-maligned portion (I personally think Xen levels were cool, although quite difficult) of original Half-Life.

https://www.pcgamer.com/black-mesas-xen-beta-is-now-available/

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5234 on: June 26, 2019, 05:27:47 PM »
I'll never understand what took them so long to do Xen. Guess I'll have to play it to see.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5235 on: June 26, 2019, 05:53:18 PM »
I'll never understand what took them so long to do Xen. Guess I'll have to play it to see.

Me neither. I'll wait until the whole thing is finished.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5236 on: June 27, 2019, 11:51:53 PM »
https://www.pcgamer.com/eve-online-is-in-chaos-after-an-unprecedented-alien-invasion/?utm_content=buffera3670&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

On Wednesday afternoon, thousands of players across the lawless regions of null-sec space, where EVE Online's fabled player-created empires battle for supremacy, were ambushed by fleets belonging to a mysterious non-player faction known as Drifters. While hostile NPC factions have always been in EVE Online, they've never posed a collective threat to its entire playerbase. Until now.

This is pretty interesting and will definitely shake things up, the devs must feel very amused!  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5237 on: June 28, 2019, 06:27:09 AM »
I think that looks cool as hell! Reading the comments from the players in the article really confuses me. The level of ownership is astounding. It's a game for god sake.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5238 on: June 28, 2019, 07:59:15 AM »
I think that looks cool as hell! Reading the comments from the players in the article really confuses me. The level of ownership is astounding. It's a game for god sake.

This is pretty funny, those devs must be laughing so hard

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5239 on: June 28, 2019, 09:44:41 AM »
Yea that game is full of salty people in general but not everyone of course. I think most feel excitment that something this unexpected happend. I don't play the game to be clear, it's not my type of game but the game do create some interesting scenarios when the playerbase is so large.

Speaking of salt, the devs sure knows how to troll the community even more:

"I reached out to CCP Games personally, and a spokesperson said they "reached out to the Drifters (the NPCs) for comment, but they rejected our hailing frequencies."

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5240 on: June 29, 2019, 09:34:48 AM »
Events like that make a game a one of a kind experience. Not my type of game (I usually play through stories and go to the next one), but it sounds like a great shake up to me.

Due to some unfortunate events, I am not going on holiday this year, which saved plenty of money as I don't feel like going on some last minute trip on my own (thankfully, I am going on a trip for mu voluntary work as a first aid). Sooo, that led to some majot purchases in recent weeks:

-PSVR + two moves and a bunch of games.
-A Wii with a bunch of games.

The Wii was cheap, paid about 65 euros for the complete original console sports pack with Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, Madworld, Goldeneye, and Metroid Prime 3. With shop warranty and all. PSVR was during the Days of Play sale, so it was about 150 euros of for the package with 5 games included (Astrobot, Wipeout, Skyrim, Doom and PSVR Worlds. Also got two moves and already had a bunch of ps+ games for PSVR.

First of all, Astrobot is perhaps the most fun I have had with gaming since I was a kid playing Banjo Tooie. It might be my game of this generation so far, it really is great. Skyrim VR with the moves works surpsisingly well and I never played the DLC so that will give me years of entertainment. Those dungeons are waaay more tense in VR. Wipepout is amazing as well. Doom VR is okay, PSVR worlds is a nice tech demo. Until Dawn Rush of Blood, which I already had due to PSplus, is fantastic. All in all I am very happy with it and after the first week my motion sickness almost entirely dissapeared.

As for the Wii, I actually got it for some gamecube classics I played as a kid, but will try those games for sure. And offcourse some Wii sports sessions with housemates like back in the day are already worth the money for me.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #5241 on: June 29, 2019, 09:44:35 AM »
Get Beat Saber for the psvr. Really fun!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5242 on: June 29, 2019, 11:20:08 AM »
Get Beat Saber for the psvr. Really fun!

Yeah, heard good things about that one. I think there is a demo so will check it out. Speaking about demo's, the Superhot and Raw Data demo's were ace so those are on my list to get as well. And the latter is supposed to have a solid campaign with story and all.

But for now I have so many games lying around that I will focus on going through a couple before any other purchases.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5243 on: July 01, 2019, 04:04:47 AM »
The internet is on fire! :flame:

Gabe Newell during the Valve Index launch party:

"Milestones aren’t really the end of anything, they’re really the beginning. So Half-Life led to Half-Life 2, Source led to Source 2, the experiments that we did with Team Fortress 2 were what enabled us to build Dota. Artifact is the reason we’re able to do Underlords.

So, maybe someday the number 2 will lead us to that shiny integer glowing on a mountain someplace… we’ll just have to see."

Oh Gabe you troll!  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5244 on: July 01, 2019, 05:17:21 AM »
Yea gotta love Gabe. Did you ever read the AMA with him where he tried to have his race car to have the number 3?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5245 on: July 01, 2019, 06:28:58 AM »
Yea gotta love Gabe. Did you ever read the AMA with him where he tried to have his race car to have the number 3?
Really, that's glorious  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5246 on: July 02, 2019, 04:07:15 PM »
Started playing Generation Zero. It's an open world action game set in Sweden during the 80s. It's funny walking around reading signs and hearing messages in your native tounge. They really nailed the atmosphere overall and I must say the gunplay and gameplay is much better than I thought. The AIs is pretty clever and you feel haunted all the time.

Overall I enjoy it alot so far although it does feel a bit empty in terms of finding interesting loot.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5247 on: July 04, 2019, 04:16:31 PM »
Spent this afternoon working on my latest winning Mordhau video, played this round with Chino and our friend, but it's mostly just me using the mortar and dominating them with it  :lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z7aX7EfwHs  I actually haven't gamed at all lately, I want to try out Apex Legends season 2.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5248 on: July 04, 2019, 04:24:43 PM »
I was just about to update Apex so I can play season 2.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5249 on: July 05, 2019, 05:33:43 AM »
Finished Mankind Divided last night, very good game. Not as strong as Human Revolution, definitely didn't feel like the ideas were as big or your decisions are as impactful, but the storytelling was still excellent and it's very well set up for what I guess will be the concluding part of a trilogy. I know it didn't sell as well so there's not been much going on development-wise, but I'm sure it'll come at some point.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.