Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 481582 times)

Offline Polarbear

Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #5180 on: June 10, 2019, 04:31:32 AM »
Fin-all-y!!!!!

Cyberpunk 2077 - 04.16.2020  :metal :metal

That doesn't even seem that far anymore :metal First day purchase for me too, I have complete confidence in CDPR!

And Keanu Reeves as Johnny Silverhand!! :hefdaddy

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5181 on: June 10, 2019, 08:19:04 AM »
Cyberpunk in all honor but honestly I think i'm equally excited for Dying Light 2.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5182 on: June 10, 2019, 08:50:13 AM »
Cyberpunk in all honor but honestly I think i'm equally excited for Dying Light 2.

I didn't know they were making a sequel. I really enjoyed the first game.

I'd say Cyberpunk looks like it'll be good but I don't think they've released any real gameplay footage yet.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5183 on: June 10, 2019, 08:56:10 AM »
Debbie Downer alert, fair warning... As cool as it was to see Keanu on stage and in the game it's becoming a pet peeve of mine that games are now becoming more like movies than games with such massive focus and money spent on big cutscenes and trailers and cinematic choreography and casting celebrities for mocap instead of... you know... making a fun game... I eagerly watched the Microsoft conference yesterday because it's cool to see them reaching out to get as many gamers' attention as possible, but over half the games looked like the exact same first person shooter/adventure style. Very little actual gameplay too. Bethesda had gameplay but Bethesda sucks eggs. I guess that's all why Ori and the Will of the Wisps was the best looking game in the bunch imo.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5184 on: June 10, 2019, 08:57:57 AM »

I'd say Cyberpunk looks like it'll be good but I don't think they've released any real gameplay footage yet.

Here's some cyberpunk gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfmB1eoyzwY

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5185 on: June 10, 2019, 09:00:11 AM »

Here's some cyberpunk gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfmB1eoyzwY

Looks good.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5186 on: June 10, 2019, 10:34:53 AM »
Debbie Downer alert, fair warning... As cool as it was to see Keanu on stage and in the game it's becoming a pet peeve of mine that games are now becoming more like movies than games with such massive focus and money spent on big cutscenes and trailers and cinematic choreography and casting celebrities for mocap instead of... you know... making a fun game... I eagerly watched the Microsoft conference yesterday because it's cool to see them reaching out to get as many gamers' attention as possible, but over half the games looked like the exact same first person shooter/adventure style. Very little actual gameplay too. Bethesda had gameplay but Bethesda sucks eggs. I guess that's all why Ori and the Will of the Wisps was the best looking game in the bunch imo.
I'm sure you don't mean it this way, but there's a bit of an implication here that the two are mutually exclusive. For sure some games will get the balance wrong, they'll focus on cinematics *at the expense* of gameplay and/or narrative. But plenty don't, and it's hardly a new issue anyway.

CDPR have a good track record so I've no reason to expect any issues like that.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5187 on: June 10, 2019, 10:44:01 AM »
I'm sure you don't mean it this way, but there's a bit of an implication here that the two are mutually exclusive. For sure some games will get the balance wrong, they'll focus on cinematics *at the expense* of gameplay and/or narrative. But plenty don't, and it's hardly a new issue anyway.

CDPR have a good track record so I've no reason to expect any issues like that.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean for it to sound like that. There are absolutely some great games in that vein and some awesome developers out there. Just when you run all that footage back to back everything looks the same. Big budget FMV-driven specially casted AAA gaming experiences. CDPR is a developer to trust for sure. I don't like Witcher 3 much AT ALL in terms of gameplay, but visually and story, it's jawdropping, so I'm still keeping an eye on Cyberpunk.

I was most excited at stuff like the Lego Luke Skywalker Saga and the Lego Forza expansion because those just look so darn silly and fun. Straight-up good times. Apparently the Lego Star Wars games are a thing that I've somehow been completely unaware of, but watching Darth Maul yawn as he's fighting Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan... LOL. That looks like just a good fun game.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5188 on: June 10, 2019, 10:46:23 AM »

Just finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which I loved.  Well, really really liked.  Kind of a cross between Thief and System Shock (remember that one?).  Starting Far Cry 2 now; don't know yet if I like it or not.   Don't want to get too far in to find I hate it, but I'll give it a shot for now.
Modify message

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5189 on: June 10, 2019, 11:03:30 AM »

I didn't know they were making a sequel. I really enjoyed the first game.

Here's the latest trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tPU813CMtI
 :)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5190 on: June 10, 2019, 11:19:31 AM »
Just announced, Chivalry 2! Sry but not a good time to promote your game....  :rollin

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5191 on: June 11, 2019, 05:38:00 AM »
From the Square Enix press conference, some in depth Final Fantasy 7 remake footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmBKGQrUFaM

The combat looks good I guess? After two decades of playing VII with turn based combat, I would have to get some hands on time with remake to make heads or tales of it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5192 on: June 11, 2019, 06:07:45 AM »
Oh yeah, I didn't mean for it to sound like that. There are absolutely some great games in that vein and some awesome developers out there. Just when you run all that footage back to back everything looks the same. Big budget FMV-driven specially casted AAA gaming experiences. CDPR is a developer to trust for sure. I don't like Witcher 3 much AT ALL in terms of gameplay, but visually and story, it's jawdropping, so I'm still keeping an eye on Cyberpunk.
Out of interest, did you play the first two Witcher games? The first was utterly awful in terms of gameplay, the second was a vast improvement but III was easily the most playable and fun to play (just took a few hours to get into, for me). All things are relative. :lol

Just finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which I loved.  Well, really really liked.  Kind of a cross between Thief and System Shock (remember that one?). 
Human Revolution was fantastic. Gamplay was good but not great, but the narrative and ideas were really brilliantly done. The direct sequel, Mankind Divided didn't get such glowing reviews but it's still meant to mostly be very good, so I need to play that at some point.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #5193 on: June 11, 2019, 06:14:42 AM »
The thing that made Keanu Reaves involvement in the entire process worth it for me was the fan screaming "You're breathtaking", followed by Keanu returning the compliment.  :heart
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5194 on: June 11, 2019, 07:11:55 AM »
So I'm sitting there watching Square Enix's press conference last night and it was as if they saw me dozing off and announced something JUST for me: The Last Remnant Remastered... ON SWITCH!!!

I played the f out of that game on 360 and was just playing through my umpteenth game file last week on PC. I'm not sure what all they've fixed and/or changed in the Remastered version (unless it's just a carbon copy of the PC version, which itself was a remaster of sorts of the original), but I'm buying it tonight. $20. HELL YEAH. And Final Fantasy 8 is coming later this year, despite years of rumors of the source code being lost.

Good evening, good show, Square. Wish I had a PS4 to play the FF7 remake.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #5195 on: June 11, 2019, 07:16:25 AM »
I want the FF7 remake more than I want world peace.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5196 on: June 11, 2019, 11:39:46 AM »

:rollin

The Nintendo presentation has me in fits. I am shaking with excitement.

- Banjo-Kazooie AND Dragon Quest 11's hero (and others as costumes I assume) in Smash Bros.
- Witcher 3 coming to Switch, so now that I can finally play it with a decent controller I might actually have some fun with this game
- Link's Awakening remake has a dungeon builder in it
- Animal Crossing looks dope but I'm sad it's delayed til March 2020
- Pokemon looks dope
- the sequel to Breath of the Wild looks awesome so far and I'm so freaking happy it apparently takes place in the same world. Greatest game of all time.

Happy day for Katt. Very happy.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5197 on: June 11, 2019, 12:34:32 PM »
Just finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which I loved.  Well, really really liked.  Kind of a cross between Thief and System Shock (remember that one?). 
Human Revolution was fantastic. Gamplay was good but not great, but the narrative and ideas were really brilliantly done. The direct sequel, Mankind Divided didn't get such glowing reviews but it's still meant to mostly be very good, so I need to play that at some point.

I really got sucked in on that story.   My initial problem with the franchise, though, is that it seems like every game is made for a unique platform. 

Deus Ex:  PC/PS2
Deus Ex - Invisible War:  PC/xBox
Deus Ex - Human Revolution: PC/PS3/xBox360/Wii
Deus Ex - The Fall:  PC/iOS
Deus Ex - Go:  iOS
Deus Ex - Mankind Divided:  PC/PS4/xBoxOne

When I upgrade my console, I will likely play the follow-up.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5198 on: June 11, 2019, 01:14:56 PM »
Mankind Divided was really fun as well, if you liked Human Revolution, you'll like the next one because it's practically the same game play and another good story.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5199 on: June 11, 2019, 02:57:16 PM »

I really got sucked in on that story.   My initial problem with the franchise, though, is that it seems like every game is made for a unique platform. 

Deus Ex:  PC/PS2
Deus Ex - Invisible War:  PC/xBox
Deus Ex - Human Revolution: PC/PS3/xBox360/Wii
Deus Ex - The Fall:  PC/iOS
Deus Ex - Go:  iOS
Deus Ex - Mankind Divided:  PC/PS4/xBoxOne

When I upgrade my console, I will likely play the follow-up.
Yeah PC gamers get the lot but they've all been on different consoles. Although the original two and the recent games (Human Revolution onwards) have been quite distinct - I've not got round to playing the originals yet but I understand they're further into the future and the new games are effectively prequels.

Mankind Divided was really fun as well, if you liked Human Revolution, you'll like the next one because it's practically the same game play and another good story.
Awesome, looking forward to it. Might even play it next after I finish my re-play of Horizon Zero Dawn.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5200 on: June 11, 2019, 05:57:10 PM »

- Banjo-Kazooie AND Dragon Quest 11's hero (and others as costumes I assume) in Smash Bros.
- Witcher 3 coming to Switch, so now that I can finally play it with a decent controller I might actually have some fun with this game
- Pokemon looks dope
- the sequel to Breath of the Wild looks awesome so far and I'm so freaking happy it apparently takes place in the same world. Greatest game of all time.

I don't even have a Switch yet and I was excited by Nintendo's presentation. I have to get a Switch now....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5201 on: June 12, 2019, 12:05:30 PM »

- Pokemon looks dope

I don't even have a Switch yet and I was excited by Nintendo's presentation. I have to get a Switch now....

Plus, Collection of Mana was released yesterday. Bought it and look forward to playing it through chronologically.

Very excited for the upcoming Switch releases.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5202 on: June 12, 2019, 12:08:54 PM »
Speaking of Switch, I am very excited for the remake of Links Awakening (The old Game boy game)

looking pretty cool

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5203 on: June 12, 2019, 05:49:38 PM »
Out of interest, did you play the first two Witcher games? The first was utterly awful in terms of gameplay, the second was a vast improvement but III was easily the most playable and fun to play (just took a few hours to get into, for me). All things are relative. :lol

I enjoyed The Witcher when it came out and replayed it a couple times over the years but I have to agree the second game was lightyears beyond the first.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5204 on: June 12, 2019, 06:23:50 PM »

I haven't played the first two. I bought the complete edition of 3 early last year though for $25 I think, on PC. But Geralt moves and controls horribly, the UI is one of the most cumbersome and frustrating I've ever seen, and going from Breath of the Wild to its overworld is just suffocating. I can never get to a spot where I can actually get a breathtaking view of the world and my view is limited. And you die if he falls more than 5 feet. Incredibly frustrating because the characters and story were fascinating but I just could not play more than half a dozen hours.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5205 on: June 12, 2019, 07:10:37 PM »
I haven't played the first two. I bought the complete edition of 3 early last year though for $25 I think, on PC. But Geralt moves and controls horribly, the UI is one of the most cumbersome and frustrating I've ever seen, and going from Breath of the Wild to its overworld is just suffocating. I can never get to a spot where I can actually get a breathtaking view of the world and my view is limited. And you die if he falls more than 5 feet. Incredibly frustrating because the characters and story were fascinating but I just could not play more than half a dozen hours.

I didn't think the movement was that bad but it could've been better. It's interesting how some big developers can get movement so right (Horizon Zero Dawn) or so wrong (Red Dead Redemption 2).

Another annoying thing about movement is when they only give you three goddamn movement speeds like in the latest God of War. I don't know. Maybe I'm just too picky.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5206 on: June 12, 2019, 07:17:42 PM »
Here's my video on how to use the bear trap in Mordhau https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xbVI-Kk2Q8 I think I mix my stupidity with actual tactic well here

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5207 on: June 12, 2019, 07:44:26 PM »

I didn't think the movement was that bad but it could've been better. It's interesting how some big developers can get movement so right (Horizon Zero Dawn) or so wrong (Red Dead Redemption 2).

Another annoying thing about movement is when they only give you three goddamn movement speeds like in the latest God of War. I don't know. Maybe I'm just too picky.

I had some issues with Witcher 3's movement as well. Where as Red Dead felt slow and sluggish, Witcher 3 was on the other end of the spectrum, way too loose and almost slippery feeling. Definitely took some getting used to. Still a game a I really enjoyed. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:49:34 PM by Phoenix87x »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5208 on: June 14, 2019, 03:40:23 AM »
Used to play Microsoft Flight Simulator 98 back in the day. Cool to see the series back after 14 years.  :tup

Microsoft Flight Simulator - E3 2019 - Announce Trailer

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5209 on: June 14, 2019, 05:11:12 AM »

I had some issues with Witcher 3's movement as well. Where as Red Dead felt slow and sluggish, Witcher 3 was on the other end of the spectrum, way too loose and almost slippery feeling. Definitely took some getting used to. Still a game a I really enjoyed.

It took some getting used to yes, but I'll take the overly sensitive and twitchy controls of TW3 over the extremely sluggish controls of RDR2 anyday.

Speaking of Witcher, I'm very impressed that CDPR managed to port that thing to Switch! It is an absolutely massive game, and they managed to fit it in a 32GB cartridge the size of your thumb. That's insanity!

In general, Switch is starting to look very appealing to me. Their lineup of games is looking mighty impressive!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5210 on: June 14, 2019, 05:42:32 AM »
Used to play Microsoft Flight Simulator 98 back in the day. Cool to see the series back after 14 years.  :tup

I feel like my PC would burn my house down if I tried to run that on max settings  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5211 on: June 14, 2019, 10:50:49 AM »

I feel like my PC would burn my house down if I tried to run that on max settings  :lol
Yea it looks crazy! Apparently it's satellitedata their using for the landscape.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5212 on: June 14, 2019, 10:51:21 AM »
That does look beautiful

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5213 on: June 15, 2019, 06:47:00 AM »
I was listening to the Giant Beastcast podcast and they had one of the guests play it and he said it was indeed spectacular, the game will be on gamepass whenever it is released so it'll be cheap to try.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5214 on: June 15, 2019, 06:50:03 AM »
Finally bought Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate since it's half off. Ready to invest a scary amount of time into this