Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479213 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #5145 on: May 31, 2019, 06:46:41 AM »
Still can't get over how terrible it is to control Arthur in RDR2. The game is one of the most beautiful games when riding a horse and looking at the scenery. But walking (slooowly) or running around as Arthur feels goofy as fuck. And why is Arthur always underweight even when I feed him a whole fucking deer every day yet everyone comments on how good the horse looks when I feed it a carrot once a day?

Rockstar got so much right and so much wrong with this game.

I checked out of RDR2 the first time I took a bath in the game. I was like "Ok cool, you have to bath from time to time, whatever", but then it has you wash each individual limb...

They went down that road with San Andreas where you have to eat and work out and stuff and even back then I felt like it was getting too sim like, but RDR2 doubles down and that flavor of game is not for me.

And I agree, the awkward controls are frustrating as well. All the mechanics feel Slow, Clunky, muddy and convoluted. I never feel like I have control of the character. It feels like my actions are delayed and I have to push multiple buttons to do simple things. And because of that awkward control, I lost interest in playing the game. I didn't want to do the missions and I didn't want to dick around in the world. And then I walked away from it completely.

I loved the first one and I was soooo ready to bow down and worship RDR2, but I can't. Yeah its drop dead gorgeous and I respect its ambition, but that's about it for me.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5146 on: May 31, 2019, 09:18:04 AM »
I agree the control mechanics of RDR2 could have been much better, but I still worked my way through it and completed the story.  There are so many good things about this game that I couldn't put it down.  Hopefully Rockstar can fix those issues in the next installment.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5147 on: May 31, 2019, 10:39:31 AM »
I agree the control mechanics of RDR2 could have been much better, but I still worked my way through it and completed the story.  There are so many good things about this game that I couldn't put it down.  Hopefully Rockstar can fix those issues in the next installment.

Same here. I will absolutely continue to do the side stuff while finishing up the story. It's a very good game despite some of these flaws. Did you do the side missions with that one-legged dude called Hamish?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #5148 on: May 31, 2019, 12:31:53 PM »
It's so funny that you guys are talking about RDR2 right now, because I started the game a few weeks ago myself. I agree that the controls feel clunky, but they usually don't bother me much. What does frustrate me is the bronze / silver / gold system. The game doesn't even tell you what you need to do in order to achieve gold at first, and then when you go back to replay a mission, you sometimes have to wade through five minutes of pre-mission stuff. For example, I went back to replay the first mission, and the game made me re-watch the opening cinematic! :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5149 on: May 31, 2019, 03:56:18 PM »

Same here. I will absolutely continue to do the side stuff while finishing up the story. It's a very good game despite some of these flaws. Did you do the side missions with that one-legged dude called Hamish?

Yes, I did the side missions too, but there are still a lot challenges I haven't done.  Been trying the hunt down all the legendary animals and I also want to replay missions to get better than bronze medals.  I haven't even tried online yet.  So many things to do. :lolpalm:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5150 on: May 31, 2019, 05:18:26 PM »

Yes, I did the side missions too, but there are still a lot challenges I haven't done.  Been trying the hunt down all the legendary animals and I also want to replay missions to get better than bronze medals.  I haven't even tried online yet.  So many things to do. :lolpalm:

I wanted to comment on the ending of the Hamish missions but I don't know how to use spoiler tags  ???

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5151 on: May 31, 2019, 07:16:21 PM »
Still can't get over how terrible it is to control Arthur in RDR2. The game is one of the most beautiful games when riding a horse and looking at the scenery. But walking (slooowly) or running around as Arthur feels goofy as fuck. And why is Arthur always underweight even when I feed him a whole fucking deer every day yet everyone comments on how good the horse looks when I feed it a carrot once a day?

Rockstar got so much right and so much wrong with this game.

I checked out of RDR2 the first time I took a bath in the game. I was like "Ok cool, you have to bath from time to time, whatever", but then it has you wash each individual limb...

They went down that road with San Andreas where you have to eat and work out and stuff and even back then I felt like it was getting too sim like, but RDR2 doubles down and that flavor of game is not for me.

And I agree, the awkward controls are frustrating as well. All the mechanics feel Slow, Clunky, muddy and convoluted. I never feel like I have control of the character. It feels like my actions are delayed and I have to push multiple buttons to do simple things. And because of that awkward control, I lost interest in playing the game. I didn't want to do the missions and I didn't want to dick around in the world. And then I walked away from it completely.

I loved the first one and I was soooo ready to bow down and worship RDR2, but I can't. Yeah its drop dead gorgeous and I respect its ambition, but that's about it for me.

I didn't think the eating was that bad, I only ate when I needed after combat to restore health and dead eye

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5152 on: May 31, 2019, 07:16:49 PM »
I just checked my steam friend list and I see you on there but it says it’s been over 2000 days since last long in. Am I on your list? Reaper2195?

I'm getting the following message when searching your name: "There are no users that match your search"

Weird I'm going to remove you and re-add you

Edit: Invite sent

Received and accepted. You name displays as ReaperKK though

We getting some slaughter in tonight?

Hell yea, I'll be on around 10 with beer in hand

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5153 on: May 31, 2019, 07:31:27 PM »
I just checked my steam friend list and I see you on there but it says it’s been over 2000 days since last long in. Am I on your list? Reaper2195?

I'm getting the following message when searching your name: "There are no users that match your search"

Weird I'm going to remove you and re-add you

Edit: Invite sent

Received and accepted. You name displays as ReaperKK though

We getting some slaughter in tonight?

Hell yea, I'll be on around 10 with beer in hand

Just played like 5 games with the crew, my friend is really really good so we just slaughtered and I was consistently dominating too.  Ping me on steam when you are on and ill invite you to our discord.  I think we are gaming all night, or most of it.

and a clip from just earlier... https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1134633312625090561

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5154 on: June 01, 2019, 01:03:19 PM »
I had a great time playing with you guys last night despite me being absolute garbage at the game. I don't know what happened at the end, my comp hard locked so I went and had another drink while it rebooted then hit the bed.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5155 on: June 01, 2019, 01:18:37 PM »
Yea good stuff, other than the one game where we got dominated, I felt good all night and we kept kicking ass after you left. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5156 on: June 04, 2019, 05:55:21 AM »
I was playing Mordhau last night and there was a dude on the red team playing the USSR national anthem on his lute  :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5157 on: June 06, 2019, 10:29:26 PM »
I have finished Red Dead Redemption 2. I pray to Crom that it will come out on the PC with mods to fix the awkward movement. What a fucking joy it would be to play this game with gyro aiming.

Moving on to God of War but not really getting into it. Enemies are fucktardingly bullet spongey on Give Me A Challenge Mode. Kratos displays Hulk Power in that one battle early on but it takes a shitload of hits to kill regular enemies yet they can kill him with a few hits. Why? BUTT it's too easy on the mode below that. Hmm....

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5158 on: June 07, 2019, 02:01:27 AM »
https://kotaku.com/sources-blizzard-cancels-starcraft-first-person-shoote-1835285125

Blizzard has canceled a StarCraft first-person shooter that had been in development for the past two years, according to three people familiar with goings-on at the studio. The main reason, Blizzard told staff, was to put more resources into the Diablo and Overwatch franchises.

That could've been cool.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5159 on: June 07, 2019, 07:15:54 AM »
If that means more time spent on Diablo 4 I have no problems with that.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5160 on: June 07, 2019, 07:16:17 AM »
Exactly. Bring on D4!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5161 on: June 07, 2019, 08:08:59 AM »
I could misremembering but wasn’t Starcraft ghost supposed to be a fps?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #5162 on: June 07, 2019, 11:21:57 AM »
Nah, it was an over-the-shoulder shooter. Hot off the heels of the Resident Evil 4 massive change up in the industry.

Edit: Wow, nevermind I just checked myself and it was before RE4. So maybe they got wind of that and were like "Oh damn that is gonna crush our game" lol

If that means more time spent on Diablo 4 I have no problems with that.

Seriously. Everything else can go on the backburner if we get D4 as best as it can possibly be and let them fix the mistakes of D3.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5163 on: June 07, 2019, 04:33:31 PM »
Yeah seriously. I probably put 500+ hours into Diablo 2 back in the day. Got bored of 3 barley into the 2nd act  :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5164 on: June 07, 2019, 05:02:28 PM »
I think 3 has at this point dethroned 2 in my book but it sure took a long time getting there. Hopefully no real money auction house for the launch of 4...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5165 on: June 07, 2019, 09:06:36 PM »
Does Diablo 3 still have that weird MMO thing where you can get hit as soon as an enemy attack animation starts even if you run away before the attack actually lands? That turned me off from the game.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5166 on: June 08, 2019, 02:28:35 PM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5167 on: June 08, 2019, 02:38:31 PM »
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order seems to be a fun SP game.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5168 on: June 08, 2019, 03:39:57 PM »
Huge Mordhau update including a new map!

https://steamcommunity.com/games/629760/announcements/detail/1607136397667973601

Yup, big map for horses.  I got a bunch of kills on the horse and since the horse was almost dead, I took it back to the spawn to put it down  :lol and grab another https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1137461819692519425

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5169 on: June 08, 2019, 04:32:18 PM »

Indeed it does.

Here goes the gameplay demo for anyone who is interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=8939aURV9Dc

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5170 on: June 08, 2019, 05:25:14 PM »

Indeed it does.

Here goes the gameplay demo for anyone who is interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=8939aURV9Dc

That looks fun!

Also, I read about 30 comments after I watched the video and not a single one was positive!  The most common complaint I saw was, "No dismemberment!!!1!"  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #5171 on: June 08, 2019, 05:38:19 PM »
I thought the demo looked good. I guess I'm too easy to please.

Switching gears back to RDR2... I'm robbing a bank. I need to plant dynamite on five safes. Any other game would have just let me hit the "Dynamite" button once, and set the charges on all five safes at once. But this is RDR2, so of course I need to set the dynamite on each individual safe. Once I finish, the game tells me to light the fuses. I assume I need to do it on each safe again... So I start lighting the fuses on all the safes, and then the first one explodes and kills me. This kind of thing happens all the time. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5172 on: June 08, 2019, 06:45:31 PM »
I have the whole night free and I want to play something but I don't know what I want to play . . . .

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5173 on: June 09, 2019, 02:27:50 PM »
Fin-all-y!!!!!

Cyberpunk 2077 - 04.16.2020  :metal :metal

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5174 on: June 09, 2019, 02:28:27 PM »
Cyberpunk release date announced by keanu reeves who is in the game  :metal
April 2020

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5175 on: June 09, 2019, 02:34:08 PM »
Ohh CD Project knows how to win the internet by hiring Keanu Revees. :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5176 on: June 09, 2019, 03:36:28 PM »
Cyberpunk 2077 was always gonna be a first day purchase for me, but Keanu is some nice icing on the cake.

Overall the microsoft press conference was pretty decent. New console for winter 2020

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5177 on: June 09, 2019, 07:59:00 PM »
That sure was something. I might even actually get game pass for PC. Wow.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5178 on: June 09, 2019, 08:36:00 PM »
Cyberpunk 2077 was always gonna be a first day purchase for me, but Keanu is some nice icing on the cake.

Overall the microsoft press conference was pretty decent. New console for winter 2020

Yea it looked pretty amazing, think it might be xbox this gen.

Did anyone notice Flight Simulator? It's probably been 15 years since I've played a FS game but it looked amazing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5179 on: June 10, 2019, 04:21:24 AM »
For half a second, i thought the flight simulator trailer was actually GTA VI. Oops, not quite  :lol
Looks really good though

I knew already they we weren't gonna see any Elder scrolls 6, but still I found Bethesda's conference to be pretty meh. Despite that, Doom Eternal looked pretty decent.