Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 485058 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #5040 on: May 03, 2019, 08:42:36 PM »
Saw that Mass effect 3 was on sale so I picked it up. Never finished it, so I figured why not.

Man, do I miss this series. Getting back into ME3 felt so much like putting on an old pair of shoes that felt just right and fit perfectly.

Funny, I literally just bought ME3 myself about 30 minutes ago, having only played 1 and 2. It's not my favorite franchise but they are damn enjoyable games.

Dammit, I cannot find any of my ME1 or ME2 files to import. I must've deleted them for some dumbass reason. Oh well, I cannot remember what paths I took or how my playthrough of ME2 ended anyway.

edit... well shoot now I am compelled to just play ME1 and 2 over again! :caffeine:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 08:56:08 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5041 on: May 07, 2019, 09:16:33 AM »
Downloaded a fun free game on the Switch last night called Color Zen. One of the only times I've ever played the Switch in handheld mode - laid in bed and just moved colors and shapes around a screen before falling asleep. Really nice.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5042 on: May 07, 2019, 09:27:37 AM »
Downloaded a fun free game on the Switch last night called Color Zen. One of the only times I've ever played the Switch in handheld mode - laid in bed and just moved colors and shapes around a screen before falling asleep. Really nice.

That looks awesome and I LOVE the soundtrack

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5043 on: May 07, 2019, 09:34:37 AM »
I purchased my first game this year (I think it's close to 8 months since my last game purchase  :eek)

Mordhau

and I LOVE IT.  It was $28 over the weekend and a friend said he wanted to try it, so a few of us took the plunge together, now we got a bout 6 of us playing because it was so addictive over last weekend.  It's a multiplayer medieval slasher, but so gory and the combat feels good and smooth.  Customization is pretty good too.  I definitely recommend it.  I just wish there were more maps, that's really the only negative.  Feels like medieval battlefield in a way, 64 players and capture points.  There's a BR mode too which surprisingly I haven't even tried yet.

Mordhau first experience highlights

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5044 on: May 08, 2019, 08:41:06 PM »
That looks fun as hell. If I buy it, can I play with you guys?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5045 on: May 09, 2019, 08:30:29 AM »

You got your PC going now right? Then hell yea, we had 6 of us last night together. It's super addicting.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5046 on: May 09, 2019, 10:33:53 AM »

You got your PC going now right? Then hell yea, we had 6 of us last night together. It's super addicting.

Yuppp. Sick. I'll get it either tonight or tomorrow.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5047 on: May 09, 2019, 12:03:15 PM »

Yuppp. Sick. I'll get it either tonight or tomorrow.

It was on sale last weekend for a few bucks off, not sure if it still is, but I am cramx3 on steam.  I won't be on tonight but I am likely playing it all night tomorrow if you want to join, ill send you a link to our discord so you can play wtih us if you want.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5048 on: May 09, 2019, 12:43:22 PM »
Sounds good

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5049 on: May 09, 2019, 03:24:13 PM »
Also, that invite goes to anyone else, cramx3 on steam if anyone ever wants to get their gaming on together.  This mordhau game seems to let a large amount of people join a party together and its up to 32 on a team so how awesome would that be if we all ran out attacking in this game with our own characters  :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5050 on: May 09, 2019, 05:09:50 PM »
That game is ridiculously fun. I haven't gamed on a PC in almost a decade. I'm so bad  :lol 

My Ping is unbelievably high for some reason. I'm not understanding why.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5051 on: May 09, 2019, 05:40:22 PM »
Still loving Days Gone. Probably the biggest disconnect with review scores I have had with games (except for maybe Alien Isolation). Not sure why this game gets a lot of criticism on gunplay when Red Dead 2 last year got 10s all over the place and Arthur plays like a brick stuck in the mud. I absolutely adore Red Dead 2, fantastic experience, but the gunplay is super sluggish, something Days Gone is heavily criticized for. And the funny thing is that it feels very responsive to me, I don't understand it. That said, Days Gone does have a lot of technical issues, but even that is not unheard of in major open world titles.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5052 on: May 10, 2019, 07:51:22 AM »
That game is ridiculously fun. I haven't gamed on a PC in almost a decade. I'm so bad  :lol 

Did you join a US server?  Also, this game takes some time to learn the timing of it and master the weapons which are all different.  I think I averaged 5 kills and 25 deaths per match my first 10 games  :lol I felt the tutorial only taught the very basics and you got to learn more on the fly.  But the customization is pretty awesome which makes leveling up feel worth it so I can create cooler characters with more unique weapons.  Although when I play as my "Dad" character, it seems the other team always goes after me  :lol just like when I see a Peter Pan looking dude, I just want to cut his head off. Looked like even more people were playng last night but I was with the gf, Im definitely going to be playing tonight.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5053 on: May 10, 2019, 09:05:15 AM »

Did you join a US server?  Also, this game takes some time to learn the timing of it and master the weapons which are all different.  I think I averaged 5 kills and 25 deaths per match my first 10 games  :lol I felt the tutorial only taught the very basics and you got to learn more on the fly.  But the customization is pretty awesome which makes leveling up feel worth it so I can create cooler characters with more unique weapons.  Although when I play as my "Dad" character, it seems the other team always goes after me  :lol just like when I see a Peter Pan looking dude, I just want to cut his head off. Looked like even more people were playng last night but I was with the gf, Im definitely going to be playing tonight.

I suspect my WiFI card is garbage. I'm going to tether directly to the modem tonight and see if it makes a difference. I wasn't noticing any lag, despite having a ping of 145, but I had an annoying "high ping" warning on my screen the entire time.

This is going to sound weird, but I always play as female characters (Skyrim, GTO Online, Read Dead Online, etc..), and that doesn't appear to be an option in this game. Kinda of bummed about that.

The training was good, but I swear it took me like 20 minutes to complete the horse riding/jousting portion  :lol

Some people are absolutely ridiculous with their timing. I might have been seeing things, but I swear I was watching people block my arrows with a sword when getting into close range combat. 

I may have an opportunity for sexy time tonight, but I'd say there's like a 70% chance I'll be online. I sent you a friend request last night.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5054 on: May 10, 2019, 09:52:14 AM »
Cool, I didnt see since I wasnt on my PC last night, but ill accept when I get home tonight.  The female character thing was brought up, I think they are going to add one.  It is odd that wasn't an option, but the game is still actively being worked on.  They already made one major change this week (adding an icon above your party members) which was nice and showed they are listening to feedback.

And yea, you can block an arrow up close.  It's all timing and you got to watch your opponent to time including the bows if you see one aiming you down and winding up, it's not terribly realistic to block an arrow up close but it's very doable in the game.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5055 on: May 10, 2019, 09:59:15 AM »
Cool.

I also couldn't hear anyone in game communicating. Do the microphones only work in a party of some sort? I only have the headset I use for my PS4. It's compatible with a PC as well, but I didn't hear any voice chat going on.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5056 on: May 10, 2019, 10:05:44 AM »
Cool.

I also couldn't hear anyone in game communicating. Do the microphones only work in a party of some sort? I only have the headset I use for my PS4. It's compatible with a PC as well, but I didn't hear any voice chat going on.

Yea, there is no voice chat in game.  We use discord so we can speak with my friends in our party, but only text chat is available in the game.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5057 on: May 10, 2019, 10:07:55 AM »
Cool.

Yea, there is no voice chat in game.  We use discord so we can speak with my friends in our party, but only text chat is available in the game.

Gotcha. I am unfamiliar with Discord. I'll have to look into that when I get home.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5058 on: May 10, 2019, 11:51:22 AM »
https://discordapp.com/

You'll want it for PC gaming.  It's a voice and chat app, there's even a Dream Theater channel which is super active and fun. 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5059 on: May 10, 2019, 12:34:46 PM »

You'll want it for PC gaming.  It's a voice and chat app, there's even a Dream Theater channel which is super active and fun.

How do I find you guys once I have it downloaded?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5060 on: May 10, 2019, 12:50:10 PM »

How do I find you guys once I have it downloaded?

I'll send you an invite to my friends discord channel that we all use through steam message once I get home, usually around 7pm.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5061 on: May 10, 2019, 12:55:19 PM »
Cool cool cool

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5062 on: May 10, 2019, 03:22:45 PM »
I connected directly to my modem with an ethernet cable and my ping went from 140-150 to 40-50. My wifi card is definitely the issue.

Also, I'll be home around 8 tonight
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 04:16:04 PM by Chino »

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #5063 on: May 11, 2019, 09:27:01 PM »
And in regards to Sekiro, I got competent enough to defeat Guardian Ape in under 10 tries but wasn't feeling it anymore. Nearly every encounter is deflect, attack, deflect, attack x100, with one of the following three moves inbetween: mikiri counter for thrust attack, jump on top for sweep attack, jump backwards for grab attack. Stuck? Just repeat until you get the rythm of the attacks and you are set to go. And like 2 minutes from the boss you just defeated there is another (mini) boss you attack with the same tactics. And that is basically it for all the encounters I experienced save for two bosses. And I watched a housemate play the final boss and it was basically the same again, just endlessly long. Setting is beatiful and the combat looks insanely cool and feels really good though. I just wished they allowed for a bit more freedom in how you use the moveset. And maybe more than one weapon or more rewarding use of all the proshetics. I basically only used firecrackers for some free hits here and there.

Sekiro is a very difficult and frustrating game at times, but the combat is super fun and rewarding. I totally get that the game isn't your cup of tea, but I don't think it's fair to imply that there's some kind of easy formula that can be applied to the majority of the boss fights. Maybe it becomes an easy formula after you've gotten your ass kicked 10+ times to some of the bosses like I have  :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5064 on: May 12, 2019, 03:47:45 AM »
And in regards to Sekiro, I got competent enough to defeat Guardian Ape in under 10 tries but wasn't feeling it anymore. Nearly every encounter is deflect, attack, deflect, attack x100, with one of the following three moves inbetween: mikiri counter for thrust attack, jump on top for sweep attack, jump backwards for grab attack. Stuck? Just repeat until you get the rythm of the attacks and you are set to go. And like 2 minutes from the boss you just defeated there is another (mini) boss you attack with the same tactics. And that is basically it for all the encounters I experienced save for two bosses. And I watched a housemate play the final boss and it was basically the same again, just endlessly long. Setting is beatiful and the combat looks insanely cool and feels really good though. I just wished they allowed for a bit more freedom in how you use the moveset. And maybe more than one weapon or more rewarding use of all the proshetics. I basically only used firecrackers for some free hits here and there.

Sekiro is a very difficult and frustrating game at times, but the combat is super fun and rewarding. I totally get that the game isn't your cup of tea, but I don't think it's fair to imply that there's some kind of easy formula that can be applied to the majority of the boss fights. Maybe it becomes an easy formula after you've gotten your ass kicked 10+ times to some of the bosses like I have  :lol

The way I did most fights to where I was, the only difference between the fghts is the rythm of the attacks. And judging from youtube, that is what most people do. The core combat is awesome but the game felt oddly repetitive for me. Probably because it is a whole lot of deflecting and building up meters, which just isn't my preference. It being very challenging does not mean there isn't a formula to most bosses though. For a lot I was just standing still and doing what I described in that previous post. Only the timing was difficult to get down, but some attack patterns almost are like a musical rythm. At least that is how I got them down.  I did hear they buffed some of the prosthetics to make them more viable though, thus encouraging more experimentation.

And while the vistas are insanely beuatiful and I love the overall setting, it just isn't as captivating to me as Bloodborne or even Dark Souls.

I can fully see why people love it so much, but I don't enjoy it that much anymore, after the initial rush of getting better. But it most definitely is an extremely well crafted game.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5065 on: May 13, 2019, 07:07:05 PM »
Still loving Days Gone. Probably the biggest disconnect with review scores I have had with games (except for maybe Alien Isolation). Not sure why this game gets a lot of criticism on gunplay when Red Dead 2 last year got 10s all over the place and Arthur plays like a brick stuck in the mud. I absolutely adore Red Dead 2, fantastic experience, but the gunplay is super sluggish, something Days Gone is heavily criticized for. And the funny thing is that it feels very responsive to me, I don't understand it. That said, Days Gone does have a lot of technical issues, but even that is not unheard of in major open world titles.

Yeah almost everything about Red Dead Redemption 2 is fantastic except for moving around on foot. As far as combat goes, I've come to the conclusion Rockstar intended for us to use Dead Eye a lot. Aiming just sucks ass in this game unless I'm behind cover and can take my time lining up shots. But for anything that requires fast aiming, like a couple enemies running at me and shooting, I use Dead Eye. Makes the game much more enjoyable for me. I also use the lightest auto aim setting on foot and full auto aim on horse back.

Glad to hear Days Gone is good. From the YouTube footage I've seen, it looks better than what the written reviews say. I'll be picking this one up when the price drops. I already have a buttload of games to play an God of War arrives tomorrow :biggrin:
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5066 on: May 14, 2019, 02:03:32 PM »
I'm trying to finish RDRII (totally love this game) before I fully dive into Days Gone.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5067 on: May 14, 2019, 02:26:27 PM »
Amazing new gameplay footage of Goldeneye 64 in VR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RR5V0rmN4o
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5068 on: May 14, 2019, 02:33:28 PM »

That is awesome

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5069 on: May 14, 2019, 03:09:42 PM »

That is awesome

wow yea that is really cool and perfectly executed with the body movements, especially after being shot  :lol

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #5070 on: May 14, 2019, 06:43:38 PM »
The way I did most fights to where I was, the only difference between the fghts is the rythm of the attacks. And judging from youtube, that is what most people do. The core combat is awesome but the game felt oddly repetitive for me. Probably because it is a whole lot of deflecting and building up meters, which just isn't my preference. It being very challenging does not mean there isn't a formula to most bosses though. For a lot I was just standing still and doing what I described in that previous post. Only the timing was difficult to get down, but some attack patterns almost are like a musical rythm. At least that is how I got them down.  I did hear they buffed some of the prosthetics to make them more viable though, thus encouraging more experimentation.

And while the vistas are insanely beuatiful and I love the overall setting, it just isn't as captivating to me as Bloodborne or even Dark Souls.

I can fully see why people love it so much, but I don't enjoy it that much anymore, after the initial rush of getting better. But it most definitely is an extremely well crafted game.

I do see what you mean about the combat being somewhat repetitive in general. As much as I love Sekiro, I don't have the same passion for it as I did for the Souls games and Bloodborne when I first played them.

As far as the prosthetics, I also agree that they could have made them more useful early in the game. The firecrackers seem to be the most important for the majority of the game -  you can get away with hardly using many of the others at all. I did just beat a tough optional boss late in the game (Demon of Hatred) and I felt like it wouldn't have even been possible without certain prosthetic upgrades though.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5071 on: May 14, 2019, 08:48:55 PM »
I'm trying to finish RDRII (totally love this game) before I fully dive into Days Gone.

How far into the game are you? I don't know which chapter I'm in but my save file says at 42%...I think. I'm not sure if that's how much I've played of the main story or if that's how much of the main story I have left.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5072 on: May 14, 2019, 09:14:43 PM »

Yeah almost everything about Red Dead Redemption 2 is fantastic except for moving around on foot. As far as combat goes, I've come to the conclusion Rockstar intended for us to use Dead Eye a lot. Aiming just sucks ass in this game unless I'm behind cover and can take my time lining up shots. But for anything that requires fast aiming, like a couple enemies running at me and shooting, I use Dead Eye. Makes the game much more enjoyable for me. I also use the lightest auto aim setting on foot and full auto aim on horse back.

Glad to hear Days Gone is good. From the YouTube footage I've seen, it looks better than what the written reviews say. I'll be picking this one up when the price drops. I already have a buttload of games to play an God of War arrives tomorrow :biggrin:

I’m a very casual console gamer so rdr2 was really hard for me to get into because of the aiming. I finally figured it out and basically I’d tap the aim button which would get me in the vicinity of the enemy and I’d lightly tap the joystick to lock in the target. After they are shot I’d move in the general area of the next enemy and repeat the pattern.

I’ve been playing the monster hunter world trial and man there is a lot going on with the game. I’m glad there is a trial because I would’ve bought this game to discover that it’s not really for me.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5073 on: May 14, 2019, 09:21:48 PM »

I’m a very casual console gamer so rdr2 was really hard for me to get into because of the aiming. I finally figured it out and basically I’d tap the aim button which would get me in the vicinity of the enemy and I’d lightly tap the joystick to lock in the target. After they are shot I’d move in the general area of the next enemy and repeat the pattern.

I’ve been playing the monster hunter world trial and man there is a lot going on with the game. I’m glad there is a trial because I would’ve bought this game to discover that it’s not really for me.

Oh I didn't even know about that free trial! I'll have to download it. Looks like I've got 5 days left.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5074 on: May 15, 2019, 08:16:30 AM »
@Cram 

Guys like us will appreciate the last item on this updates list  :lol

https://old.reddit.com/r/Mordhau/comments/boxngm/patch_6_changelog/