Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 485065 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #4970 on: April 04, 2019, 11:47:28 AM »
Honestly, it seems like the whole gaming industry is finding ways to piss me off. Aside from the aforementioned online gameplay that's a better model for them, the people who are making quality single player games are only selling you half the game upfront. Pay $60 for a game and find that it plays like shit because they rushed it out the door and didn't have time to fix all the bugs. After a couple of months it's patched sufficiently but you've already beaten what content they gave you. Then they start releasing DLC that should have been in the original damn game. As sick as I am of Rock* they did actually create new content for the GTA franchise. They spent years developing The Lost and the Damned and Gay Tony and it showed. When you release 3 new expansion packs in six months you've clearly just held back a lot of your content to milk it. And those are just as buggered as the original. Once all that's fixed the game is now $29, so they stop selling that and only offer the "Godly edition" with all of the DLC for the same $60.

The Ballad of Gay Tony  :heart but yea, that's already so old now and that model is long gone of releasing quality content DLC to add to the single player.  Now, it all feels exactly like you said. 

It's funny cause I saw so much praise for the Divison 2 for having the best launch because the game mostly just worked on day 1.  That's sad that we have to celebrate that. (I do think it also had a massive day 1 patch too  :lol)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4971 on: April 04, 2019, 02:25:22 PM »
The Destiny series, in my opinion, is a good example of a quality single/multiplayer game.  Love the single player storyline, missions and great game play.  The multiplayer is ok, and I play it once in while, but usually get pretty pissed cause I'm always getting my ass kicked! :lol  Most of the players out there are half my age and even though I'm very experienced in FPS's, I just can't keep up with these young people.  They are always way more leveled up with better weapons and armor.  I really can't dedicate that much time and effort to the game.  Single player is much more forgiving and fun to play, but still challenging also.  I really hope they keep more games like this on the market.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4972 on: April 04, 2019, 02:36:19 PM »
Nintendo still does quality single-player experiences sans microtransactions. *slips back to his lonely corner*
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4973 on: April 04, 2019, 02:39:20 PM »
Nintendo still does quality single-player experiences sans microtransactions. *slips back to his lonely corner*

I keep telling myself I'll get a switch, and well, it hasn't happened.  Work is dangling a 3 week business trip, that might be enough to make me do it because I don't think I can go 3 weeks without gaming.  But that's a bit off if it even happens.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #4974 on: April 04, 2019, 03:25:14 PM »

The latest Zelda game looks awesome. I haven't played Zelda since the one that came out for the Gamecube. I never even got close to finishing it. I can definitely see myself buying a very cheap Switch later on just to play that Zelda game.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4975 on: April 04, 2019, 04:22:11 PM »
Singleplayer games aren't going anywhere. Last year we had the heavily SP oriented experiences God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2, Spider-Man, Assassins Creed Odyssey, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Monster Hunter World, Far Cry 5, Hitman 2, Forza Horizon 2, and Detroid.

Then there were many indies/smaller games like A Way Out, Mega Man 11, Return of the Obra Dinn, Celeste and much more. And it took me a while to dive in, but nowadays indies are just as, if not more, content-packed than games from the classic eras. I played Hollow Knight and Celeste next to some SNES classics that were new to me and both of them have more content than a lot of those SNES classics and are just as good.

And this year started with Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry 5, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Sekiro Shadows Die Twice.

Most of the games I mentioned seem to have been a good to great financial succes, so the market is healthy enough which means companies will keep investing in Singleplayer titles. And actually, I think the model of games like Anthem, The Division etc. will not be sustainable if all companies pursue the same goldmine (I feel like Sony knows this, hence their SP focus), especially if free games like Apex and Warframe are superior and even have a more fair economy despite being free.

The only thing modern MP games really took away (for me) is playing on the couch with friends. I now do that online, despite one living right next to me.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #4976 on: April 04, 2019, 05:00:27 PM »
Singleplayer games aren't going anywhere. Last year we had the heavily SP oriented experiences God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2, Spider-Man, Assassins Creed Odyssey, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Monster Hunter World, Far Cry 5, Hitman 2, Forza Horizon 2, and Detroid.

Is Monster Hunter World a good singleplayer game? I thought it was kind of a multiplayer game so I didn't look too much into it. Is it very grindy and more difficult if you play by yourself?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4977 on: April 04, 2019, 09:01:25 PM »
Well, it's official. Breath of the Wild is gonna be fully playable in VR soon, which means I'm buying Labo, and that trip to the store will be the last time I ever see the sun, because Hyrule will consume my life again. It never ends with this game.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #4978 on: April 05, 2019, 01:31:36 AM »

Is Monster Hunter World a good singleplayer game? I thought it was kind of a multiplayer game so I didn't look too much into it. Is it very grindy and more difficult if you play by yourself?

It's a fantastic Single Player game, playing it in multiplayer can make it a little bit easier for certain monsters (That said, the monsters do get an increase in health per extra player), regardless of SP of MP you'll still have to grind for materials to make your equipment, that won't be any different.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4979 on: April 05, 2019, 06:18:53 AM »
Well, it's official. Breath of the Wild is gonna be fully playable in VR soon, which means I'm buying Labo, and that trip to the store will be the last time I ever see the sun, because Hyrule will consume my life again. It never ends with this game.

Doesn’t look as awesome as I thought but it sure is cool. I also just saw the April’s fool video IGN posted about Nintendo Direct, pretty funny :D
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4980 on: April 05, 2019, 06:31:19 AM »

How do you use VR with the Switch?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4981 on: April 05, 2019, 06:36:37 AM »

How do you use VR with the Switch?

I think it will basically be like Google cardboard, but replace the phone with the Switch itself.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #4982 on: April 05, 2019, 07:04:44 AM »
Pretty much.

Still, it only has a 720p screen and can't run BotW any higher than 30 FPS anyway, neither of which is conductive to a comfortable VR experience, so I don't expect this VR mode to be anything more than a novelty to try out if you happen to own both the Labo kit and the game.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4983 on: April 05, 2019, 07:13:37 AM »
Pretty much.

Still, it only has a 720p screen and can't run BotW any higher than 30 FPS anyway, neither of which is conductive to a comfortable VR experience, so I don't expect this VR mode to be anything more than a novelty to try out if you happen to own both the Labo kit and the game.

There is also a $39.99 version Here.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4984 on: April 05, 2019, 08:01:55 AM »
720p and 30fps is fine for me tbh, yeah it's not optimal, but it's Zelda, so you bet your ass I'll be looking like this once it releases

:lol

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4985 on: April 05, 2019, 09:09:32 AM »

Then there were many indies/smaller games like A Way Out, Mega Man 11, Return of the Obra Dinn, Celeste and much more. And it took me a while to dive in, but nowadays indies are just as, if not more, content-packed than games from the classic eras. I played Hollow Knight and Celeste next to some SNES classics that were new to me and both of them have more content than a lot of those SNES classics and are just as good.

And this year started with Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry 5, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Sekiro Shadows Die Twice.

Most of the games I mentioned seem to have been a good to great financial succes, so the market is healthy enough which means companies will keep investing in Singleplayer titles. And actually, I think the model of games like Anthem, The Division etc. will not be sustainable if all companies pursue the same goldmine (I feel like Sony knows this, hence their SP focus), especially if free games like Apex and Warframe are superior and even have a more fair economy despite being free.

The only thing modern MP games really took away (for me) is playing on the couch with friends. I now do that online, despite one living right next to me.

Good post.  Thanks.  Seems logical to me and hopefully it continues.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #4986 on: April 05, 2019, 05:42:41 PM »

It's a fantastic Single Player game, playing it in multiplayer can make it a little bit easier for certain monsters (That said, the monsters do get an increase in health per extra player), regardless of SP of MP you'll still have to grind for materials to make your equipment, that won't be any different.

Thanks. I'll take another look at it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4987 on: April 08, 2019, 02:29:01 PM »
If you are curious about my thoughts on the battle pass and apex packs in Apex Legends, please watch this video, with the volume low and maybe in a secluded spot (NSFW) https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1114942987996401664  I told my friend earlier yesterday that I was going to record myself opening an apex pack and was going to go off if it was another set of garbage loot, which I did.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #4988 on: April 08, 2019, 08:14:07 PM »
Honestly, it seems like the whole gaming industry is finding ways to piss me off. Aside from the aforementioned online gameplay that's a better model for them, the people who are making quality single player games are only selling you half the game upfront. Pay $60 for a game and find that it plays like shit because they rushed it out the door and didn't have time to fix all the bugs. After a couple of months it's patched sufficiently but you've already beaten what content they gave you. Then they start releasing DLC that should have been in the original damn game. As sick as I am of Rock* they did actually create new content for the GTA franchise. They spent years developing The Lost and the Damned and Gay Tony and it showed. When you release 3 new expansion packs in six months you've clearly just held back a lot of your content to milk it. And those are just as buggered as the original. Once all that's fixed the game is now $29, so they stop selling that and only offer the "Godly edition" with all of the DLC for the same $60.

It might help that I'm perfectly happy gaming in two dimensions, but the indie scene is the answer. Consider these prices:

Hollow Knight - $15
FTL - $15
Celeste - $20
Shovel Knight - $15
TOTAL - $65

Four great games for the price of being jerked around by a triple A title? Easiest decision of all time.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4989 on: April 09, 2019, 04:43:19 AM »

It might help that I'm perfectly happy gaming in two dimensions, but the indie scene is the answer. Consider these prices:

Hollow Knight - $15
FTL - $15
Celeste - $20
Shovel Knight - $15
TOTAL - $65

Four great games for the price of being jerked around by a triple A title? Easiest decision of all time.
Also, even aside from indie gaming, even for the big mainstream games just wait a bit before getting them. For single player games, there's no particular benefit to playing them as soon as they're released and you get a worse product and a higher price.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4990 on: April 09, 2019, 06:54:22 AM »
^ so true

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4991 on: April 09, 2019, 07:31:16 AM »
Best deal I ever found was Terraria. I think it was $10 on Steam and I put 300 hours into it in a month  :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #4992 on: April 09, 2019, 11:51:47 PM »
I did the exact same except I paid less, it was during one of those random flash sales and I got it for 5-ish bucks. I just remember it was sub 10 bucks and ended up putting in around 200 hours. Not that quick but over time. Sadly I have about 10-15 hours a week for gaming at best. Ugh.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4993 on: April 10, 2019, 07:35:02 AM »
I did the exact same except I paid less, it was during one of those random flash sales and I got it for 5-ish bucks. I just remember it was sub 10 bucks and ended up putting in around 200 hours. Not that quick but over time. Sadly I have about 10-15 hours a week for gaming at best. Ugh.

Yeah that's the worst. Every time I feel like starting up Terraria, I don't, because 1) I'd have to get acclimated and that would take a day or two at best, and 2) my life would go down the drain as I attempt to build another 4-screen-wide marble castle in the sky.  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4994 on: April 10, 2019, 11:26:48 PM »
hollow knight is the kind of game that legitimately has as much content as your standard $60 big-budget game, except made by people who actually care about level and boss design, so all the content is fun instead of boring filler. mixed with good atmosphere & a great exploration factor it's just. a great example of a metroidvania

baba is you is a $15 puzzle game i put about 40 hours into, honestly i almost felt it was too long actually, too good at continuosly introducing new mechanics and ideas

celeste is excellent also, yes, absolutely

though, mario odyssey is a big exception in that it's a big-budget game with a huge heaping of great content that kept me playing for at least 50 hours, and it was so damn good i played all the way through it a second time like a half year later  :lol really get your money's worth for that one

but yeah in general i am much more interested in indies than big-budget titles, especially since most seem to be homogenizing to the same "open world shooty rpg-esque" formula as of late, a formula which i have never been interested in

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #4995 on: April 11, 2019, 12:17:55 AM »
hollow knight is the kind of game that legitimately has as much content as your standard $60 big-budget game, except made by people who actually care about level and boss design, so all the content is fun instead of boring filler. mixed with good atmosphere & a great exploration factor it's just. a great example of a metroidvania

Yes. Hollow Knight has more content than many $60 AAA games for a fucking third of the price + FREE expansions.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4996 on: April 11, 2019, 01:35:27 PM »
Finally got RDRII.  Pretty cool game.  Still learning how to play and figuring out what all there is to do.  The scenery is awesome.  Just riding around on horseback is a lot of fun.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4997 on: April 14, 2019, 12:38:05 AM »
Finished Yakuza 0, damn what a great game :metal . I think I'll just leave it there tho - way too many minigames and submissions to be arsed  :lol. I look forward to getting other Yakuza games in the future.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4998 on: April 14, 2019, 05:58:17 AM »
I've been chugging away at Witcher 3 recently. I think I'm nearing the end, I returned from Skellige and met up with the other Witchers so I probably have under 300 hours left of the game.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #4999 on: April 14, 2019, 08:32:27 PM »
Finally got RDRII.  Pretty cool game.  Still learning how to play and figuring out what all there is to do.  The scenery is awesome.  Just riding around on horseback is a lot of fun.

I like it a lot but the only thing I think they dropped the ball on is the walking speed. Why can't we have the camp walking speed all the damn time. The walking speed outside of camp is too slow and the slowest running speed is too fast and looks stupid if you only want to travel a short distance on foot. All this is especially jarring after playing Horizon Zero Dawn for the past few weeks which absolutely nailed the speed and animation transitions from slow as fuck walks to a fast jog. I hope there is a mod for this is the PC version ever comes out.

But yes that's just a minor complaint. RDR2 seems really great so far. I gotta finish up Spider-Mang so I can devote all my video game time to RDR2.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5000 on: April 15, 2019, 02:38:57 PM »
The Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy was on sale on the Switch's eshop over the weekend - $25 with the 40% off sale price - so I finally picked it up all this time later.

It's glorious. That's what a remake should look like. New features, redone from the ground up, extra stuff... it's so beautiful and plays like a dream. I feel like the hitboxes are a bit tighter than they were in the old games but I haven't played them since I was a kid so who knows. I love Crash and I'm having a blast going through the first game right now, but I remember loving 2 and 3 way more so I can't wait to play them.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5001 on: April 15, 2019, 03:33:57 PM »

I like it a lot but the only thing I think they dropped the ball on is the walking speed. Why can't we have the camp walking speed all the damn time. The walking speed outside of camp is too slow and the slowest running speed is too fast and looks stupid if you only want to travel a short distance on foot. All this is especially jarring after playing Horizon Zero Dawn for the past few weeks which absolutely nailed the speed and animation transitions from slow as fuck walks to a fast jog. I hope there is a mod for this is the PC version ever comes out.

But yes that's just a minor complaint. RDR2 seems really great so far. I gotta finish up Spider-Mang so I can devote all my video game time to RDR2.

I know exactly what you mean and it is annoying.  Hopefully they will send out an update to fix that soon.  The game is still relatively new.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5002 on: April 15, 2019, 05:07:31 PM »
Finished Yakuza 0, damn what a great game :metal . I think I'll just leave it there tho - way too many minigames and submissions to be arsed  :lol. I look forward to getting other Yakuza games in the future.

I was really surprised at how good this game was. Only paid $17.99 for it on Steam. It was such a weird and funny game. My favorite moment was unscripted. It was the part where Majima fights that crazy guy Nishitani and his thugs outside of the cabaret club. I think it was Nishitani. But anyway, during the dialogue part, Mr. Libido was standing in the background in his underwear smiling. Then when the fight started he dematerialized with the rest of the citizens. After the fight he materialized just smiling in the background LoL  :lol

But as much as I loved both Mr. Libidos I agree with you on the minigames. Just too much for me. I never took over the businesses or finished the club (forgot what they're called) missions. Ah well.

I'm going to buy Kiwami eventually. Kiwami 2 was just announced for the PC.

I know exactly what you mean and it is annoying.  Hopefully they will send out an update to fix that soon.  The game is still relatively new.

Are they even still bothering with singleplayer? If they are I doubt they would bother to change walking speed. Most gamers don't seem to be bothered by it.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5003 on: April 16, 2019, 06:06:06 AM »

Are they even still bothering with singleplayer? If they are I doubt they would bother to change walking speed. Most gamers don't seem to be bothered by it.

I had unbelievably high hopes for this game. Single player was great, but I can't believe that the "beta" is still as terrible as it is. There's like 3 or 4 basic things that the majority of players are asking for, and with every "update", all we get is a "Here's a new PVP mode nobody asked for!". I don't get it. I wouldn't bank on single player changes any time soon. It's clear their heart is set on micro transactions and nothing else.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5004 on: April 16, 2019, 06:04:25 PM »

I had unbelievably high hopes for this game. Single player was great, but I can't believe that the "beta" is still as terrible as it is. There's like 3 or 4 basic things that the majority of players are asking for, and with every "update", all we get is a "Here's a new PVP mode nobody asked for!". I don't get it. I wouldn't bank on single player changes any time soon. It's clear their heart is set on micro transactions and nothing else.

Didn't they also mess up multiplayer for GTA V? I don't play online but some how I was under the impression that GTA V online started out good then really went to shit due to changes made by Rockstar.