Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479245 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #4900 on: February 22, 2019, 02:32:29 PM »
So I just finished Metro: Exodus and honestly, it was a bit of a let down. There's some cool sections/areas in the game and the graphics look nice but since I don't have a RTX card it's not mindblowing by any stretch. I kind of like the change of biomes but still it didn't feel like a Metro game running around in the desert or forest.

Not to spoil anything but the last chapters and the ending was pretty bad to be honest.  :-\

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4901 on: February 22, 2019, 03:00:52 PM »
It's good to be the champion

Damn Apex is a good BR game.  It seems I left PUBG for COD and now left COD for Apex.  I'm not sure I can go back now, they just keep making a better BR game now that the big companies have put their resources to it... I'm still waiting for BF's though

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4902 on: February 22, 2019, 03:05:59 PM »
I now have Overwatch and Rocket League for PC, so if anyone would like to play I'd be down.

I also played through to the "it's VERY buggy beyond this point" part in Subnautica: Below Zero, and I'm hyped.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4903 on: February 22, 2019, 08:49:17 PM »
I love Subnautica so I'm going to wait for Below Zero to have the full release before I pick it up.

What's your name on Blizzard Nick? I play a few matches of overwatch once a week.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4904 on: February 22, 2019, 08:51:41 PM »
Woot, just checked my emails I see that I got my free copy of AC: Odyssey. I put around 10 hours of the game through the google stream project, if you played over an hour they'd give you a free copy of the game.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4905 on: February 22, 2019, 09:13:11 PM »
I love Subnautica so I'm going to wait for Below Zero to have the full release before I pick it up.

What's your name on Blizzard Nick? I play a few matches of overwatch once a week.

Rush3737
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4906 on: February 23, 2019, 08:37:38 AM »
Sweet I'll add you this afternoon

Offline busty sinclair

« Reply #4907 on: February 25, 2019, 02:18:09 PM »
i just finished Hollow Knight. anyone who enjoys a metroidvania kind of game must play this. one of the best games i've played and really looking forward to the sequel!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4908 on: February 27, 2019, 05:36:56 PM »
i just finished Hollow Knight. anyone who enjoys a metroidvania kind of game must play this. one of the best games i've played and really looking forward to the sequel!

I'm still in the first half of the game. Incredible game, but I refuse to use a guide, so it's taking me forever.

My favorite YouTube channel finally uploaded an hour-long review of Breath of the Wild. Matthewmatosis, he does in-depth game analyses and they're extremely informative and very interesting to watch in my opinion.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #4909 on: March 01, 2019, 05:41:59 PM »

Very great game but it was a bit frustrating and exhausting at points. I never got the best ending because I didn't have enough of those things. After 38 hours I didn't want anymore, so I didn't play the expansions. Perhaps one day!
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4910 on: March 08, 2019, 01:29:52 PM »
I'm so hyped for Satisfactory, I really hope the game is good because it's the type of game I want so bad right now.

Satisfactory First Look!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #4911 on: March 11, 2019, 12:06:45 AM »
I bought a PS4 a few days ago and I bought Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Red Dead Redemption 2. RDR2 is a fucking beautiful game but I almost wish I held out for the PC version. I have been very spoiled by the gyro aiming on the Steam Controller. I've had to resort to auto aim  :-[ Gyro aiming should be fucking standard on consoles. Perhaps it'll come to the next consoles.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4912 on: March 11, 2019, 04:54:36 AM »
I'd be willing to bet that gyro aiming comes next gen.

Pick up God Of War, that game is as good as RDR in my opinion.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #4913 on: March 11, 2019, 10:14:53 AM »

I played the original game back in the day but I never finished it. Never played the other ones. Am I missing out on story or anything if I skip to the latest game?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4914 on: March 11, 2019, 10:40:26 AM »
Switch has gyro aiming.  :hat
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4915 on: March 11, 2019, 12:32:59 PM »

I played the original game back in the day but I never finished it. Never played the other ones. Am I missing out on story or anything if I skip to the latest game?

No you won’t be missing out at all, they will fill you in on any more you may be missing. I only played the first god of war and I didn’t really care for it. God of war 2018 was incredible.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #4916 on: March 11, 2019, 09:41:36 PM »

No you won’t be missing out at all, they will fill you in on any more you may be missing. I only played the first god of war and I didn’t really care for it. God of war 2018 was incredible.

Cool. I'll add it to my list along with Infamous Second Son (really enjoyed the ones on the PS3) and The Last of Us. Never played that one on the PS3. I must've gotten rid of it before the game came out.

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #4917 on: March 12, 2019, 03:13:16 AM »

Nah, the original games were pretty simple, one day there was an angry man called Kratos, the Greek Gods kept on interfering with his life and betraying him/making him more angry, so he set out to kill them all angrily. He was really angry. The end.  :P

They're all really good and fun games but the plots weren't really Shakespeare, that is sort of why the new one surprised me so much because the plot is absolutely fantastic, it really took this angry and fairly one dimensional character and made him very sympathetic. Not to say he wasn't a good character in the previous games, like I said those were fun but this is a lot better.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #4918 on: March 12, 2019, 07:23:32 PM »

Nah, the original games were pretty simple, one day there was an angry man called Kratos, the Greek Gods kept on interfering with his life and betraying him/making him more angry, so he set out to kill them all angrily. He was really angry. The end.  :P

They're all really good and fun games but the plots weren't really Shakespeare, that is sort of why the new one surprised me so much because the plot is absolutely fantastic, it really took this angry and fairly one dimensional character and made him very sympathetic. Not to say he wasn't a good character in the previous games, like I said those were fun but this is a lot better.

Ha ha thanks for the synopsis  ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4919 on: March 16, 2019, 10:22:28 AM »
I decided to finally try Dark Souls by using a gift card to buy the first game on the Switch. I'm playing it now - only have about half an hour into it, so I'm still super fresh - but this is not fun in any way so far. I don't mind difficulty but this is just f'ing stupid. I'll come back and keep trying until I get a few hours in but I've already died a dozen times, all in really dumb ways. Nothing about this is fun.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4920 on: March 16, 2019, 02:22:04 PM »
The learning curve is steep but once you start getting and improving armor and weapons the game evens out. The first area takes most players awhile to get used to.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4921 on: March 16, 2019, 03:07:26 PM »
I decided to finally try Dark Souls by using a gift card to buy the first game on the Switch. I'm playing it now - only have about half an hour into it, so I'm still super fresh - but this is not fun in any way so far. I don't mind difficulty but this is just f'ing stupid. I'll come back and keep trying until I get a few hours in but I've already died a dozen times, all in really dumb ways. Nothing about this is fun.

Dark souls is the most profound and satisfying gaming experiences I've had in the past decade.

Some people like to just play blind, which I found extremely frustrating. A basic beginner's guide made a world of difference for me:   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No0fNjx1PJc

There's really no right or wrong way to play it though. Once I figured out the basics, it become much more fun.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 03:16:52 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #4922 on: March 16, 2019, 06:16:31 PM »

I don't blame you. The game isn't really as difficult as it's made out to be. The difficulty (for me) was the trial & error plus checkpoint save system. It just wasn't a whole lot of fun to come up against a big powerful boss/mini-boss that could kill me in a few hits, then respawn back at the bonfire and have to run all the way back to try again...and again...until I learned all of the attack patterns. Sure there are shortcuts to unlock and you can run past the other lesser enemies to get back to the boss but it gets old.

On the bright side, few games...well honestly no other game gave me that sense of accomplishment. I ended up beating Dark Souls and swore I've never buy another Dark Souls game...then I bought the second one when it was on sale  :facepalm:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4923 on: March 16, 2019, 06:31:59 PM »
Yeah that's the thing. Trial and error is not all that fun. I've gotten a little farther but it's sooooo annoying retracing paths again and again and again and dying over and over and over. I guess I'm just soft but that's why I don't like over the top difficulty. I just wanna play the game.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #4924 on: March 16, 2019, 11:40:24 PM »
Yeah that's the thing. Trial and error is not all that fun. I've gotten a little farther but it's sooooo annoying retracing paths again and again and again and dying over and over and over. I guess I'm just soft but that's why I don't like over the top difficulty. I just wanna play the game.

Well don't feel any shame in looking up tactics on how to beat bosses or other powerful enemies after dying a few times. That's what I did!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4925 on: March 17, 2019, 01:30:35 AM »
been playing Baba is You, very interesting puzzle game from the developer of also one of my favorite games ever, Environmental Station Alpha

it's so dang clever and cool. like saying too much about it is probably spoilers but the basic premise is that you push blocks to change the rules of the game

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #4926 on: March 22, 2019, 11:04:50 PM »
Anyone playing Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice? I've heard it's more difficult than the other Souls games. I've only finished the first Dark Souls. I like the setting of Sekiro but I don't know if this is the game for Herrick.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4927 on: March 23, 2019, 05:15:27 AM »
Anyone playing Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice? I've heard it's more difficult than the other Souls games. I've only finished the first Dark Souls. I like the setting of Sekiro but I don't know if this is the game for Herrick.

I will probably pick that up soon. It looks great and puts a fresh spin on the Souls formula that I love so much.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #4928 on: March 23, 2019, 07:15:40 AM »
I just picked it up last night, but only played for about an hour because I was so tired from work  :lol

I'll wait to give my opinion until I put more time into it, but it seems like a great game so far. I'm really enjoying the combat system and it's a lot more fast paced than the Souls games/Bloodborne.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4929 on: March 23, 2019, 09:10:16 AM »
I bought it. About an hour in. For anyone that likes the souls games, this one is pretty decent.

It almost has like an Arkham Asylum kind of feel to it, since it has this grappling hook mechanic. Turns the whole souls concept on its head, which is pretty interesting.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 12:03:41 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #4930 on: March 23, 2019, 11:06:35 PM »
The whole deflection thing really makes me want to buy this game. I did finish the first Dark Souls but I was never really good at it and I wasn't a huge fan of the dodge mechanic. I like how Sekiro seems to focus on actually using the sword to deflect attacks. It looks like a very cool and rewarding skill to master. I really don't care about the lack of upgrading attributes and getting new loot...in fact I like that. The loot in Dark Souls wasn't very impressive anyway.

I wasn't interested in PvP but I might miss the messages left by other players. Plus the whole Japanese Samurai Ninja stuff always appealed to me. I didn't know From Software was originally planning to do a new Tenchu game.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4931 on: March 24, 2019, 09:51:02 AM »
It's fun when streamers put "TTV" in their name so I know to go back and watch me kill them  :lol just clipped this from some guy vaping after I do my finisher in Apex Legends https://clips.twitch.tv/CleanSpotlessWatercressCharlieBitMe

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4932 on: March 25, 2019, 09:10:24 AM »
I wonder if the regular Dynasty Warriors games are as jam-packed with content as Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors are. I've crossed the 100 hour mark on HW (the third time I've bought it) and I can see myself easily getting another 200 out of it just trying to clear every mission on the adventure maps. It literally took me 2 full weekends of grinding to complete one map (128 missions per map). And they're not even fully finished. Ugh. Talk about bang for your buck!

I also managed to sell Octopath Traveler on ebay, got a nice $40 out of it. Never beat it, but I don't really care because the lack of an actual story really brought down my enjoyment of the game.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4933 on: March 25, 2019, 11:45:01 AM »
Today Bethesda's giving away free copies of Morrowind. Having never played it, I decided to make a Bethesda account. I have the disc, somewhere, for Morrowind - it came with a video card over 15 years ago and I only found it 2 years ago, pristine condition, never opened - but I figured hey, digital is convenient. I couldn't log in to the Bethesda site after making my account - my password was right, but I reset it again. And again. And again. Still can't log in, and apparently the code isn't even working for anyone. Bethesda continues to fuck up left and right.  :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #4934 on: March 25, 2019, 11:48:13 AM »
Today Bethesda's giving away free copies of Morrowind. Having never played it, I decided to make a Bethesda account. I have the disc, somewhere, for Morrowind - it came with a video card over 15 years ago and I only found it 2 years ago, pristine condition, never opened - but I figured hey, digital is convenient. I couldn't log in to the Bethesda site after making my account - my password was right, but I reset it again. And again. And again. Still can't log in, and apparently the code isn't even working for anyone. Bethesda continues to fuck up left and right.  :lol

How long does the offer last? I have the game on disc but I wouldn't mind a digital copy.