Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 481531 times)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #4690 on: December 06, 2018, 07:51:18 PM »
Is Witcher 3 as enjoyable if you haven't played the first two games?

I played the first two games a couple times before playing The Witcher 3. My memory is so shitty that I really couldn't remember many story details. There are definitely references to the events of those games in The Witcher 3 but I don't think you'll enjoy the story any less if you haven't played the previous 2 games. I think the second game is more connected story-wise than the first game.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4691 on: December 06, 2018, 08:27:24 PM »

The Witcher 3 was my first time playing/experiencing this series and it is one of my favourite games of all time. The game does a good job of telling the player the essential story bits. It also has an extensive compendium in the menu about all relevant characters, which gets updated throughout the game. Since the game tends to spend a good amount of time with most characters, you will get to know them and their relationship with your character well, despite not having experienced previous works. References to the past will show that this series has an extensive background, but you will not be lost. Given that The Witcher 3 is by far the most popular of the Witcher games, there are quite a lot of people who entered with 3.

I treated the Wither 2 as a prequel and while obviously 3 spoils major plotpoints for that, it was a great experience as well. Never did 1, I have it on my PC but it has aged quite a bit so is not as easy to start for me.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4692 on: December 06, 2018, 10:24:52 PM »
Saw the Trailer for MK11. Hoping gameplay will be amazing and hopefully we'll get another cool single player quest type. I loved that style of story play.

Great night with seeing that and hearing Untethered Angel.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4693 on: December 07, 2018, 01:05:40 AM »

Like others have said, TW3 does a good job getting you up to speed on what has happened in the novels as well as the first 2 games. Though I seriously recommend reading the books at some point, they are fantastic.

Anyone else excited for Obsidian's new game "The Outer Worlds"? Looks like a fun RPG experience, in a space western setting.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4694 on: December 07, 2018, 05:04:53 AM »
Just a friendly reminder that Tuesday saw Subnautica getting released on consoles. An excellent solo adventure game that is very much worth your time, especially at $30.

It's a fantastic game! I scooped it up a few months back and immediately got sucked in. There is a new DLC coming out sometime.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4695 on: December 07, 2018, 05:51:12 AM »
About an hour into Smash ultimate. Its solid. Plays very smooth and fluid. The levels are awesome and there's like a million characters to unlock.

And the online play is very smooth. No latency.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 08:09:06 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4696 on: December 07, 2018, 06:08:28 AM »
Just a friendly reminder that Tuesday saw Subnautica getting released on consoles. An excellent solo adventure game that is very much worth your time, especially at $30.

It's a fantastic game! I scooped it up a few months back and immediately got sucked in. There is a new DLC coming out sometime.
I can confirm how great that game is, it may look cartoonish and a bit ruff but honestly no game has ever made me as uncomfortable and scared going into the abyss as Subnautica. Exploring deep cave systems is awesome. It's a bit tough in the beginning when you don't have much oxygen but once you buildt a better oxygen tank or better yet a submarine the game opens up. The cool thing is that when you think you've reached the deepest end you discover a crack that leads even deeper and so it goes on. I can't recommend this game enough just for the fact that there's not any games like it.

In VR it's even more intense.

Yea the arctic DLC looks awesome, too bad it's a small team and it looks we won't get it until october next year.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4697 on: December 07, 2018, 07:10:35 AM »
I believe Subnautica on PC will be free through the new Epic games store soon. To promote the new online store, Epic will be handing out free games, and Subnautica is part of that promotion. At least, that was in my newsfeed. My pc should be able to handle it, so I will check it out.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4698 on: December 07, 2018, 11:19:46 AM »
I believe Subnautica on PC will be free through the new Epic games store soon. To promote the new online store, Epic will be handing out free games, and Subnautica is part of that promotion. At least, that was in my newsfeed. My pc should be able to handle it, so I will check it out.

I saw that, very cool that will be out to more people. I don't find these smaller games often, but I really feel the need to push it when one is done so well as this one is.

And remember, all resources you collect are property of the Alterra Corporation. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4699 on: December 07, 2018, 12:47:45 PM »
Journey is coming to PC, nice  :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4700 on: December 07, 2018, 05:51:14 PM »

Speaking of the Epic store. I think it's going to be the first one to really give Steam a rum for it's money.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #4701 on: December 07, 2018, 08:01:34 PM »
Journey is coming to PC, nice  :metal
Holy shit. :eek

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4702 on: December 09, 2018, 12:57:45 AM »
About an hour into Smash ultimate. Its solid. Plays very smooth and fluid. The levels are awesome and there's like a million characters to unlock.

And the online play is very smooth. No latency.

Just bought it myself. Loving it so far. Spirits is fun as Hell and adds a lot to the gameplay.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #4703 on: December 09, 2018, 03:26:12 PM »
Has anyone seen the new KH3 trailer that came out today? The new song was pretty good, but I'll admit the "drop" was a little weird, but the new song seems cool otherwise.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4704 on: December 10, 2018, 09:39:23 AM »
Played the Insurgency Sandstorm beta a couple of times and it's fun. Very straight to the point and easy to get into but still offer plenty of tactical gameplay. A mix between CS, Squad and Rainbow Six.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4705 on: December 10, 2018, 09:47:21 AM »
Played the Insurgency Sandstorm beta a couple of times and it's fun. Very straight to the point and easy to get into but still offer plenty of tactical gameplay. A mix between CS, Squad and Rainbow Six.

Yea I have this game, feels like a much better and more modern CS.  I haven't played it in a bit though, played it a ton for like 2 weeks and stopped for COD.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4706 on: December 10, 2018, 05:19:54 PM »
Cramx have you tried csgo’s battle royale?

I played a few games last night and I enjoyed it. It’s definitely a different feel but I enjoy what valve did to put a spin on it. It’s cool to track other payers via drones and not constantly having a minimap.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4707 on: December 10, 2018, 05:26:04 PM »
Cramx have you tried csgo’s battle royale?

I played a few games last night and I enjoyed it. It’s definitely a different feel but I enjoy what valve did to put a spin on it. It’s cool to track other payers via drones and not constantly having a minimap.

I haven't.  Honestly I don't really like CSGO.  I enjoyed CS back 15+ years ago and I really don't enjoy it anymore.  I'd rather play a newer shooter, such as Insurgency Sandstorm.  One of my gamer friends who loves CSGO said the BR mode sucked, but I also see he's been playing it a lot so I'm not sure if he really dislikes it. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4708 on: December 11, 2018, 05:10:25 AM »
if you come in thinking it's pubg/fortnite/blackout, it's not, it's going to disappoint. It is a unique experience though.

I've played CS on and off since the beta days, I think it's a good shooter but man that community is a disaster.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4709 on: December 11, 2018, 07:18:59 AM »
Yea it's only 16 players so immediately its not the same and honestly that doesn't feel like BR to me.

PUBG has the new winter map out on the test server, but I haven't touched it since COD. I kind of want to try it out because I understand they also fixed a lot of issues with the game, but I am starting to finally get better in COD and don't want to lose that feel for the game because PUBG just plays so differently and the recoil takes adjusting. 

and speaking of getting better, how about this way to lose a final 2v2 in blackout?  :lol https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1070498663015858177

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4710 on: December 12, 2018, 04:51:26 AM »
:lol the look at your face really makes that clip

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4711 on: December 14, 2018, 09:47:23 AM »
1. Smash Bros. has consumed my life
2. I thought I was at least half decent at Smash given certain accomplishments I've made (at one point I very briefly held a few world records in Break The Targets in Melee for example) but I get my ass handed to me almost every time I play online. Oh well.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4712 on: December 14, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »

PUBG has the new winter map out on the test server, but I haven't touched it since COD. I kind of want to try it out
and speaking of getting better, how about this way to lose a final 2v2 in blackout?  :lol https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1070498663015858177

I did this the other night, basically. Went to throw a scatter grenade over a rock outcrop down at people and ended up sticking it at the very crest of the rock and fucking us all.

That said I ended two game in recent days with well placed grenades as well.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4713 on: December 14, 2018, 03:02:08 PM »
 :lol the beauty of these games.  In my win video I made and posted earlier, it was a final 5 and I did exactly what my friend did with the cluster grenade (threw it right into the tree in front of me).  It left me with 5 health  :lol luckily I recovered from that epic screw up

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4714 on: December 15, 2018, 11:02:11 AM »
When you play PvE for too long and feel comfortable so you decide too switch over to PvP but reality hits you in the ballsack and you get totally steamrolled. It's always the same in every game but you still always learn it the hard way.  :omg: :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4715 on: December 16, 2018, 03:44:44 PM »
Bought a cheap original 3DS, as I will be travelling quite a bit in the near future.

Will look into buying some of these:
-Orcarina of Time 3d
-Majora's Mask 3d
-Link Between Worlds
-Star Fox 3d
-Mario 3d Land
-Donkey Kong Country Returns 3d
-Mario and Luigi: Dream Team
-Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
-One of the Pokémon titles, probably Sun.

Grew up with Orcarina of Time, Star Fox 64, and Superstar saga, so would love to return to those. Majora's Mask I only played a little bit back in the day, so that will be mostly new. And since I am about 3/4 in A Link to the Past, playing a modern day sequel is enticing.

And gameboy stuff on the eshop I will buy some of these:
-The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
-The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (new for me)
-The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (also new for me)
-Pokemon Red
-Pokemon Crystal
-Super Mario Land
-Super Mario Land 2

Pokémon Red was my first Gameboy title and Oracle of Seasons was one of my favourite games as a kid. I actually recently played some of them on my old Gameboy but that is unplayable these days, with those old screens without any form of backlight. Kind of funny how I remember all of these colorful Gameboy games and they all look like trash on the actual devices.

That said, not having followed Nintendo for many years and having completely skipped anything post earlier Wii/DS, I have to say the overall "top games lists" for the 3DS are dissapointing. They are almost exclusively Nintendo titles, whereas the Gameboy's and DS all have classics from all kinds of developers. But as all of these games are moslty cheap and the system itself was very cheap for me, it is a good point for me jumping in at the end of it's lifecycle. But the library of titles seems very small compared to previous systems.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4716 on: December 16, 2018, 04:06:49 PM »
Post related to Nintendo handheld games

May I also recommend

Metroid Zero mission  (GBA)
Metroid Fusion (GBA)
Metroid Returns (3DS)

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4717 on: December 16, 2018, 05:42:12 PM »
Post related to Nintendo handheld games

May I also recommend

Metroid Zero mission  (GBA)
Metroid Fusion (GBA)
Metroid Returns (3DS)

I think gameboy advance titles are not available on 3ds virtual console, google tells me those were exclusive to early adoptors or something (man, Nintendo is weird with these things). And, well, I already own those two games from back in the day and do own an original DS to play them on with a proper screen ;) Unfortunately the good old DS does not play Gameboy/Gameboy color stuff, which is why I want some of them on my 3ds.

Metroid Returns looks interesting, will keep an eye on that one! But since I still have the actual biggest Metroid classic, Super Metroid, waiting for me on the SNES classic (never played it), other titles will take priority.

Will probably do a small SNES writeup when I finished the main attractions on the SNES classic. Due to finishing my degree and having a (temporary) job in the evenings, I have had a lot of free time on my hands to check out these classics.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 05:47:26 PM by ErHaO »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4718 on: December 16, 2018, 06:06:02 PM »
Yeah, apparently that access was called the "Ambassador Program" and it was for early adopters that bought the 3DS at full price at launch. Now if I could get access to those games I would have gladly bought a 3DS, but hey, if nintendo doesn't want my money, then what ever.

Can't wait to hear what you think about Super Metroid. I am a Metroid madman, but stupid me never finished the damn thing back when I had a Wii and got it off virtual console. I guess I'll wait for them to make it available on Switch Online. Hopefully I'm not waiting forever.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4719 on: December 20, 2018, 04:22:12 AM »
Remedy's next game Control looks really cool.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4720 on: December 20, 2018, 12:17:32 PM »
Got a big giftcard for (early) Christmas so bought A Link Between Worlds, Ocerina of Time, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, Dillon something something (physical copy for very cheap) and Pokemon Crystal for ny 3DS.

Remedy's next game Control looks really cool.

I always liked Remedy, but unfortunately found their last two titles to be missed oppertunities, aside from atmosphere and basic gameplay. Alan Wake was super repetitive and Quantum Break had crappy level design and a so-so way of storytelling due to the low budget live action stuff.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 12:25:45 PM by ErHaO »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4721 on: December 20, 2018, 02:38:14 PM »
Winter sale is here  :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4722 on: December 20, 2018, 06:14:45 PM »

Yesssss. however at this point most of what I want I already have.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4723 on: December 20, 2018, 08:18:59 PM »
Smash Bros. online is really fun. First time Nintendo's nailed it imo. It's not 'home run 100% amazing' online to most but match-ups are quick, it's painless to get online, and I'm constantly in and out of fights and rarely have frame issues, which is all I care about, so it's great to me.

And as a Ganondorf main it's really fun to stomp people left and right with him, he's super buffed up in this game and I'm destroying everyone in my path.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4724 on: December 20, 2018, 11:23:26 PM »

Yesssss. however at this point most of what I want I already have.

Shocker :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.