Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479322 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #4200 on: April 19, 2018, 08:43:12 AM »
There's a plethora of existing and upcoming BR games.

Maverick: Proving Grounds might be the most ambitious of them all which of course dosen't mean it will fullfill it's promises but it sounds interesting atleast.

Dying Light: Bad Blood, I really enjoyed the base game but yea we'll see about this one.

Yea, been following mavericks which looks like it could be amazing.  Also Battlefield and COD will implement it in their new games later this year, although for BF5 it most likely won't be available at launch (not sure about COD, just know they also want to put it in their game).

But none of these games are available now or within the next months which still leaves us with what we've got.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #4201 on: April 19, 2018, 12:28:25 PM »
I've got about 150 hours in Dying Light and still play it from time to time, love the hell out of it, so I'll definitely at least try out Bad Blood; but the wave of BR games coming out is nauseating simply because there's no way to hide the fact that it's basically a fucking bukkake fest on the customer. They know people will buy it, they've seen the immense popularity, now everyone is jumping onboard. This fact alone really, really does not bode well for the supposed effort/creativity/all around work going into either these games or the games' new modes. It may not mean they'll all be shit just because it's a clear cash opportunity, but it also doesn't give me any kind of confidence at all in them.

But again, at least one of them I'll try out, and the others I'll keep an eye on. Fortnite held my interest for a while. PUBG as a game just turned me off mechanically, and the gameplay is merely okay (if not a little boring and waning); I still cannot understand the frothing-at-the-mouth kind of insanity that surrounds it.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4202 on: April 19, 2018, 12:48:20 PM »
PUBG as a game just turned me off mechanically, and the gameplay is merely okay (if not a little boring and waning); I still cannot understand the frothing-at-the-mouth kind of insanity that surrounds it.

I'll explain myself.  I played the game religiously for a year and was completely obsessed.  This game gets your heart going.  The effort and investment into winning a game gives a huge pay off when you finally win one.  It's exciting and keeps you at the edge of your seat.  Most games don't make me feel that way.  Rocket League is the only other game where I would have to take a break and let me heart slow down.  Add in the fact that it's a shooter (which I enjoy) the combo just became addicting.  I wanted to feel that excitement.  PUBG also has proximity chat which creates lots of really funny in game interactions.  What other shooter can you tell your enemy to suck it before you kill them with a pan? (yes I know pubg isnt the first game to feature pans, but the voice chat, to me, made the game a lot more fun (you can check out my PUBG trolling videos on youtube  :lol)

But you are right about the gameplay and mechanics.  They suck.  It's not a good shooter, the game is not optimized, and the developers pretty much loaded with money took their time until Fortnite came along to really start improving the game. 

Which brings me to fortnite and why its beating PUBG.  PUBG made the BR game mode global.  People loved the game mode and PUBG gave them their fix, but it's not really a good game in terms of how it was built.  It's actually quite shit.  But the BR mode made it a hit.  Fortnite then took the mode and implemented into a ready game that had the mechanics and gameplay down.  Made it free, put it on all platforms, and boom, it blows PUBG out of the water.

And that opened the flood gates for copy cats.  But I don't see an issue with it.  Most of these titles are going to be game modes, like BF5, COD, RDR.... will all have this mode, but I don't think it takes away from what those games were/are.  Adding new full title BR games like Mavericks.... I'm not sure.  Ive got to wait and see, it looks like it has potential, but who knows.  It's definitely expanding on the BR mode to make it worthy of a full game, but we'll see.  To me, that's still expanding the ideas, but trying to hit a gaming area that people are really enjoying.  I don't see anything wrong with it.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #4203 on: April 19, 2018, 12:59:58 PM »
Right, there's not anything inherently wrong with it. It's just the massive dump truck of developers suddenly realizing "Holy fuck MONEEEEEEEEEY" is what doesn't exactly give me any hopes for this. But hey, hype is a real enjoyment killer so perhaps my total lack of it will end up making me love one of these games or modes.

RIP DTP.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4204 on: April 19, 2018, 01:12:45 PM »
I’ve given up on sea of thieves. I’m happy I did let pay for the game and did the game pass trial. The gameplay loop just got boring but I will gladly hop on if they add some more content.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4205 on: April 19, 2018, 01:19:06 PM »
Right, there's not anything inherently wrong with it. It's just the massive dump truck of developers suddenly realizing "Holy fuck MONEEEEEEEEEY" is what doesn't exactly give me any hopes for this. But hey, hype is a real enjoyment killer so perhaps my total lack of it will end up making me love one of these games or modes.

If you didn't like PUBG or Fortnite, then BR might just not be for you.  I'm not entirely sure that a BF5 version of it is going to make you like it.  I think it will be much better than PUBG though since the BF series is such a well done FPS

I’ve given up on sea of thieves. I’m happy I did let pay for the game and did the game pass trial. The gameplay loop just got boring but I will gladly hop on if they add some more content.

They released their road map for more content.  It's really just more of the same though.  It doesn't seem like anything they plan on adding will make those who got bored want to come back IMO.  I feel like they could have had an absolutely amazing game if they put more types of quests into the game.  I think them wanting to make all players be on equal footing kind of made any progression system not worthy so people don't feel like grinding for clothes.  It makes sense, I just love messing around with people in that game really.  I couldn't care less for doing the same old boring voyages again and again.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #4206 on: April 19, 2018, 01:28:30 PM »
I didn't not like Fortnite, I still play it from time to time. I said it "held my interest for a while", it's just an on and off thing now. Certainly gave me hope that the BR genre isn't void of creativity.

I'm not interested in Battlefield at all, so yeah I doubt a BR version will make me like it. The one game that's adding a mode that I'm interested in is Dying Light as of right now. If the others really do something different to make them stand out then awesome, but I'm not holding my breath (and quite frankly I'm not for Bad Blood either, but it's at least a game that I'm already highly invested in).

RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4207 on: April 19, 2018, 01:33:10 PM »
If Nintendo made a Battle Royale mode in Mario Kart where you could have 100 drivers in a modern day Block Fort map... I'd buy a Switch tomorrow.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4208 on: April 19, 2018, 01:36:11 PM »
If Nintendo made a Battle Royale mode in Mario Kart where you could have 100 drivers in a modern day Block Fort map... I'd buy a Switch tomorrow.

:lol imagine all the shells flying around

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4209 on: April 19, 2018, 01:38:53 PM »

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4210 on: April 19, 2018, 01:42:13 PM »

Maybe that'd be the equivalent of a map getting smaller. The longer you last, the more likely you are to get killed on the lower levels.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4211 on: April 21, 2018, 08:36:37 AM »
Steamed Hams but it's Earthbound  :heart

https://youtu.be/WKHahGY_5Qk

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4212 on: April 21, 2018, 09:29:09 AM »
Steamed Hams but it's Earthbound  :heart

https://youtu.be/WKHahGY_5Qk

That was pretty neat.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4213 on: April 21, 2018, 10:08:14 AM »

Personally I was thinking Super Smash BR, but that works too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #4214 on: April 21, 2018, 03:54:27 PM »

Personally I was thinking Super Smash BR, but that works too.
That would be awesome!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #4215 on: April 22, 2018, 05:47:21 AM »
That would be fucking awful. The 8 player fights on Wii U were bad enough

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #4216 on: April 22, 2018, 01:24:02 PM »
That would be fucking awful. The 8 player fights on Wii U were bad enough
The map would have to be much bigger though.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4217 on: April 23, 2018, 11:37:50 AM »
God of War....DAAAAAAAMN!!!   :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4218 on: April 23, 2018, 11:59:46 AM »
God of War....DAAAAAAAMN!!!   :2metal:

Yeah. Put in a good number of hours over the weekend, I was really hesitant on this, but so far really freaking good.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4219 on: April 23, 2018, 12:29:14 PM »
Between God of War and that new Spiderman game, PS4 is making PC players a bit jealous for once  :lol I won't cave, but those do look like great games (GoW especially, but the Spiderman looks like it has potential).

I've been stock piling gameplay footage of Sea of Thieves since release.  I finally got around to making a full length videos of some of my favorite and funniest clips of playing.  I had another great round playing with a guy who acted in pirate character for the whole 3 hours playing together  :lol It's shit like that which makes me keep playing the game even though I am so damn bored of doing any of the actual gameplay.  I come back for the people!

Sea of Thieves Fun (some good trolls, sinking some ships, and stupid moments)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #4220 on: April 23, 2018, 12:53:51 PM »
Yeah I'm really sad about exclusives even more than usual now. I really hate it. All games for all systems (PC included). It'll never happen but it'd be so glorious.

Definitely will buy a PS4 and play those exclusives eventually but probably not till the PS5 is out. Just like I did with the PS3.

RIP DTP.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4221 on: April 23, 2018, 01:08:11 PM »
PC + Nintendo = winning combo.

Except when you want GoW and Spidey... :( :( :(
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4222 on: April 23, 2018, 02:21:14 PM »
And Persona 5 and Nier Automata (the port is too broken)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #4223 on: April 24, 2018, 12:19:45 AM »
I won the RNG lottery with the Nier PC port because I've had zero issues and it runs like a dream.

The only reason I bought a PS3 was for the Shin Megami series and on one hand, I'm so grateful that they decided to release P5 for PS3, but on the other hand, I totally would've bought a PS4 for it if it had only released on it. While I'd love to play Bloodborne, GOW, and Horizon, I think after beating them I'd wonder why I still had a PS4. Plus it really irks me to no end that they don't let you get the Classics section of the store on the PS4, that is totally fucked in so many ways. If I was able to have the whole Mega Ten line up on the PS4 as I do on the PS3, I'd probably have a PS4 right now.

RIP DTP.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4224 on: April 24, 2018, 11:43:52 AM »
I have a short holiday (basically waiting for thesis feedback) so did a couple of days of God of War and Yakuza 6. Loving both. The latter is an acquired taste but there is nothing like that series and God of War probably has the best gameplay I have experienced in years, though personally I don't think it is perfect (I am near the end, won't spoil anything offcourse).

Demo of Detroid is ace as well, and looks stunning even after experiencing some of the majestic God of War setpieces.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #4225 on: April 24, 2018, 04:15:11 PM »
Good of War

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #4226 on: April 24, 2018, 05:35:48 PM »
That first fight with "The Stranger" in God of War. Daaaaaamn.  :metal

I haven't yelled "holy shit" that much at a fight in any medium in quite a while.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #4227 on: April 24, 2018, 05:43:28 PM »
Haha. That fight went on a tiny bit too long for my liking but the more I think about it the more I appreciate the absurdity

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #4228 on: April 24, 2018, 05:50:28 PM »
It was a total Dragonball Z battle. Fighting him felt tense and fun and the scripted events were so well made and fun to watch that I didn't even mind them. And that guy's theme music is fantastic.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #4229 on: April 24, 2018, 05:59:40 PM »
I have to confess I haven't noticed the music much so far. Not sure how far in I am, though I've heard the game is really quite long. I'll try to pay more attention to the score from here on out though

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4230 on: April 26, 2018, 02:48:25 PM »
If God of War doesn't increase PS4 sales, I don't know what will.  Amazing game!!! :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

God of War probably has the best gameplay I have experienced in years, though personally I don't think it is perfect

No such thing as perfection, but GoW comes closer than anything I've seen in a while.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #4231 on: April 27, 2018, 01:33:04 AM »
I caved. I'm going down to Gamestop tomorrow and getting a PS4 Pro 1 TB and GOW.  :lol

It looks so fucking good.

RIP DTP.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #4232 on: April 27, 2018, 03:32:30 AM »
Aaaaah. Dunno how your finances are but honestly I wouldn't say it's worth getting the machine for. Unless there are a bunch of other exclusives you're interested in and this is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #4233 on: April 27, 2018, 10:25:35 AM »
I would never even come close to risking any financial stability over tech. That would've been 18 year old me.  :lol

Yeah, definitely the straw that broke the camel's back. I would really love to play Horizon; Bloodborne; The Last Guardian; Yakuza 0 and 6; then there's the upcoming exclusives like Kingdom Hearts 3; Detroit; a few others I'm probably missing.

I'd definitely get my money's worth, it's just that with those other games I could've waited till the price had a significant drop. With GOW I feel like I need to play it now.

RIP DTP.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4234 on: April 27, 2018, 02:23:45 PM »
I caved. I'm going down to Gamestop tomorrow and getting a PS4 Pro 1 TB and GOW.  :lol

It looks so fucking good.

Awesome!  You won't be disappointed.  I wanted to get the PS4 Pro/GoW bundle but the pre-orders were sold out a week before release.  I'm hoping Sony will make more bundles for distribution.

Aaaaah. Dunno how your finances are but honestly I wouldn't say it's worth getting the machine for. Unless there are a bunch of other exclusives you're interested in and this is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

It's more than worth it because the enjoyment of owning a PS4 is priceless!!  :hat