Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 480952 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #4095 on: March 11, 2018, 09:52:41 AM »
Knights of the Old Republic fans.... the original is one of my favorite games of all time. I started playing KoToR2 a while back but life got in the way and I abandoned it fairly early on. I am in need of a new game and before buying a new one, I am contemplating getting back in to this one. Thoughts?

I just asked this of myself a few weeks back when I rebought KOTOR 1 for xbox one. I was having such an incredible time replaying one of my favorite games ever made, I was like should I try and play KOTOR 2 again?

I played KOTOR 2 upon release but didn't finish it. I did have fun with it, but Something felt kind of off about it. Reading up on it later down the line, I found out that its basically unfinished. There's ALOT of content that was cut and now it made sense to me that something felt off. Its still a KOTOR game and its still worth playing imo.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4096 on: March 15, 2018, 12:04:49 AM »
Ok got KotOR2 up and running again, I didn't remember much of the Peragus section. But now that I am on Telos, things are coming back to me. I think I got past this section, or at least to the end of it, because I can't recall what comes next.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4097 on: March 15, 2018, 06:43:50 AM »
Fire Emblem Warriors is amazing
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4098 on: March 15, 2018, 04:11:11 PM »
I put close to 100 hours into Fallout 4. I know people have their issues with it, but I loved it. Lately I've been playing a lot of New Vegas and its awesome. I really love the dialogue options.

Now, since I'm so hot for Fallout, I got Fallout 3 and am playing through that now. I bought it when it first came out and was crazy excited but it really didn't click at the time. It was driving me nuts that I was shooting directly at an enemy and was missing because of the whole dice roll thing. But now I'm loving it, not that I understand the mechanics.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 04:22:09 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4099 on: March 16, 2018, 10:05:18 AM »
I don't even know how many hours I've put into Witcher 3 yet but I can't remember the last time a game has hooked me like this one has. Probably Mass Effect. The side mission are really good and the main missions are so engaging that I'm not getting tired of playing yet.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #4100 on: March 16, 2018, 11:05:35 AM »
Witcher 3 was my game of the decade until Breath of the Wild came out. Probably put close to 200 hours into it; on my third playthrough at the moment (I play it pretty infrequently) and seeing so much new stuff. The way they managed the branching paths in it is just mind-boggling

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4101 on: March 16, 2018, 11:16:09 AM »
Haven't played Breath of the Wild, but it does look awesome. Definitely a game to get, if I buy a Switch someday.

I have sang a lot of praise for Witcher 3, but I don't get tired of doing so! World and characters are like straight out of the pages of Sapkowski's books. I'm on my second playthrough, and I'm already looking forward to my third!

Only negative I can think of, is fighting in cramped spaces.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4102 on: March 16, 2018, 11:33:08 AM »
I've played BOTW too and while that game is amazing as well I'd have to give the edge to Witcher 3. The story and amazing missions give it the edge. Plus, there are boobs.  ;)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4103 on: March 16, 2018, 01:04:48 PM »
I'll also take Witcher 3 over BotW. I played the shit out of BotW, but Witcher 3 is just something really hitting home with me.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #4104 on: March 16, 2018, 03:42:00 PM »
Witcher would take it for me if the world was enjoyable to explore. It's very atmospheric at times, but so poorly laid out and difficult to get around I find myself staring at the destination on my mini map when moving around

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4105 on: March 16, 2018, 06:59:45 PM »
Witcher would take it for me if the world was enjoyable to explore. It's very atmospheric at times, but so poorly laid out and difficult to get around I find myself staring at the destination on my mini map when moving around

That's probably my biggest, and probably only complaint when it comes to the Witcher

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4106 on: March 16, 2018, 07:47:05 PM »
That was one reason I stopped playing :(

Kirby Star Allies arrived today and I'm just now sitting down to play it... simply beautiful. No super violence, no blood... just a damn good looking, fun Nintendo game. Looked forward to this for a long time and it's nice to have it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4107 on: March 17, 2018, 12:49:15 AM »
Dude does a cappella versions of music from various video games.

Majora's Mask
https://youtu.be/7L8kqFMXxTQ

Super Metroid
https://youtu.be/zjvgK5UlyyE
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4108 on: March 17, 2018, 01:29:55 AM »
That's pretty cool. The super metroid soundtrack is awesome. Kraids lair is my favorite

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #4109 on: March 17, 2018, 04:49:59 AM »

Kirby Star Allies arrived today and I'm just now sitting down to play it... simply beautiful. No super violence, no blood... just a damn good looking, fun Nintendo game. Looked forward to this for a long time and it's nice to have it.

Sorry to be 'that guy', and normally this is an issue I wouldn't care about at all, but I played the demo for Kirby and it felt so sluggish. Maybe Odyssey spoiled me, but I think I need 60fps for platformers (not that I play many but still) now

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4110 on: March 17, 2018, 02:38:05 PM »

Sorry to be 'that guy', and normally this is an issue I wouldn't care about at all, but I played the demo for Kirby and it felt so sluggish. Maybe Odyssey spoiled me, but I think I need 60fps for platformers (not that I play many but still) now

The speed of Kirby is always a bit jarring to me at first but I was up from 9 PM til 3 AM playing it, I couldn't stop. Once I got used to his move speed and the controls, everything clicked. I felt the same way when I tried the demo but I'm so glad I bought it. Just a good old fashioned fun platform adventure, and it's gorgeous too. The combination of abilities is a great throwback to Kirby 64 and it actually works really well and I've had a lot of fun combining the powers to have 3 cool followers with a combination of powers and elements. It's not difficult, I accumulated almost 40 lives and only died once because I grabbed my drink before I fully crossed a chasm, but it's got that charm only Kirby has. And the frame rate never bothered me once. But then again the 30fps vs 60fps thing baffles me sometimes; outside of PCs I don't care about the difference

Probably not worth the cost for a lot of people but I thought it was well worth the 50 USD I spent

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #4111 on: March 17, 2018, 03:36:48 PM »
I've hopped between Odyssey and BOTW and the framerate difference hasn't troubled me one bit (and in fact I find 60fps in more realistic games really distracting; the PS4 version of Tomb Raider looked like a cheap home movie). I understand needing a higher framerate for faster paced things like precision platforming, fighting games, online shooters etc. Outside of games dropping to, like, single digit FPS I'd never been bothered by it before Kirby. Maybe I needed more time to stick with it; I played a lot of Mario Kart 8 in 2, 3 and 4 player and when it was 3 or more it took a bit of adjustment to get used to the lower framerate but I'd still end up having fun with it

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4112 on: March 18, 2018, 05:29:20 AM »
The new Kirby doesn't look like a particularly fast or difficult game, so 30fps is fine (assuming it doesn't drop frames from that). Certain games really need the higher framerate (high speed platformers, FPS games etc), but for Kirby it's not a deal breaker imo.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 05:37:56 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4113 on: March 19, 2018, 07:43:30 AM »

Interesting. There's only been a few times where I struggled to get some where. That being said I've only been to two locations.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4114 on: March 19, 2018, 07:58:07 AM »

Interesting. There's only been a few times where I struggled to get some where. That being said I've only been to two locations.

I don't get the argument either. Theoretically you only need to visit a place once, and nab the signpost and you can travel there instantly from that point on. Signposts in general make travel very easy. As does the world map, which has the very useful pin function.

The thing is, you should travel on horseback as much as you can. All the monster nests, treasures and high-level crafting and alchemy ingredients are usually in places that are far away from signposts. In the later game when you start crafting the high-level witcher armor, potions, decoctions, oils, swords and everything in between, you need to go off the beaten path.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #4115 on: March 19, 2018, 09:12:13 AM »
That's exactly what I mean, you just use pins and stare at the mini map, or fast travel. In either case you're not really 'existing' in the world. It looks lovely, but it's not fun to explore in the slightest.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4116 on: March 19, 2018, 09:16:26 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts on Sea of Thieves?  My friends are trying to get me to buy it tomorrow, but I was away during the open beta and didn't get to experience it and am on the fence based on what I read, but maybe someone here has some opinions?

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4117 on: March 19, 2018, 10:55:39 AM »
I played during the open beta and while my buddies are going to pick it up I’m going to hold off. It doesn’t seem like there is enough content to warrant the $60 price tag and really, for me, the only fun I had was capturing payer ships. Most of the islands were finding the treasure and then going to the next island for more treasure. I’ll see how my brother and buddies like after they buy it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4118 on: March 19, 2018, 11:21:34 AM »
I played during the open beta and while my buddies are going to pick it up I’m going to hold off. It doesn’t seem like there is enough content to warrant the $60 price tag and really, for me, the only fun I had was capturing payer ships. Most of the islands were finding the treasure and then going to the next island for more treasure. I’ll see how my brother and buddies like after they buy it.

Yea, that's exactly what I was thinking although I am kind of itching for a new game that the cost might not hold me back.  Capturing ships does seem to be what I would find more fun vs doing the voyages.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #4119 on: March 19, 2018, 12:40:13 PM »
Huge amount of fun if you have a consistent group of friends that want to play, but even then it got boring for me pretty quick (during beta). Definitely not worth the 60 bucks in my opinion. If you don't have at least a few people to play with, it's even less worth it. After more than a few content additions, it could be some serious long time fun but as of now it's a momentary (granted, momentary for me meant a couple weeks and about 20-30 hours) blast and then quickly gets stale.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4120 on: March 19, 2018, 01:12:56 PM »
Yea, see that's also the thing.  It's my group of friends who play PUBG with me.  We all admit, we are tired of the game and want to move onto something else to play together.  They've practically agreed, for now, that Sea of Thieves is that game.  So I would have a group of people to play with and also losing the group of people I currently play with if I don't get it.  I feel really peer pressured into getting it, but I also do want to play something else.  It sucks cause at 30 bucks, I wouldn't hesitate, but at 60, I do pretty much agree with you guys that it does seem not enough content for that price.  But honestly, at least you guys are saying "its fun but limited" and not just flat out saying it sucks.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #4121 on: March 19, 2018, 01:22:04 PM »
Definitely doesn't suck if you know exactly what kind of game it is and if you're into the concept and gameplay. Tons of laughs were had with my lil group of doods for the time that I did play. It's strictly just a content thing with myself at least, though with a game like this, content is nearly as important as the gameplay that fuels it and it's just not there yet. But yeah in that situation, maybe sink the cash for now and then when it's getting (hopefully) more and more updates, it'll really be worth it.

RIP DTP.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4122 on: March 19, 2018, 01:28:11 PM »
True.  I have a feeling, especially if it snows and I work from home Wednesday, that I will end up getting it. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4123 on: March 19, 2018, 08:28:08 PM »
It sucks cause at 30 bucks, I wouldn't hesitate, but at 60,

This sounds very spoiled of me but I can't remember the last time I bought a game at $60 and for a game to be $60, it better be mind blowing, especially in the era of steam sales.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #4124 on: March 20, 2018, 01:23:07 AM »
Eh, not so much spoiled as it is sales hunting. I do that a lot of times unless it's for a company/developers that I really want to support for a game that (and this is even more rare) I know I will love. Prey is one of those games, I'd buy that game again just to support it since it didn't sell well and it's one of my favorite games of all time, but that's the first time it happened in...years and years. Every other AAA game in my library I got either during a sale or from the great GreenManGaming site. Those sales are more or less just a few bucks off usually unless it's a sale that's more often than not already going on within Steam itself or another online retailer but it's something.

Oh and I recently paid full for Final Fantasy XV simply because impatience. Squenix has plenty of dough but it is a fantastic port (more than a port, really) and an awesome game so eff it. So two games that I've paid full in years that are priced at 60. Now, if it's from a small time developer or something, I don't mind supporting them but more often than not those are in the 30-40's so it's not a big deal. It's more about whether I want to throw that much money at them rather than the fact that it's the actual 60 bucks that's the issue. Something like Shadow of War, where I really like the game but it's from a huge developer and especially since I heard about the micro-transactions (despite the mostly-okay way they went about it), I wasn't going to pay 60 and waited for a sale on GMG.

RIP DTP.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4125 on: March 20, 2018, 07:23:05 AM »
Yea, for us PC gamers, 60 bucks is the price for a top of the line game at release.  I usually just wait for discounts for games (such as getting the latest south park game for half price last month).  I think gamers have gotten a bit annoyed with the industry.  Adding microtransactions and releasing unfinished games makes expecting a full price a hard pill to swallow at times. 

I found out Sea of Thieves requires Windows 10 and I'm still using Windows 7 so I guess that rules out me getting the game.  It's been on my list of things to do for awhile now, but I probably am not doing the upgrade just yet so that actually allows me to let my friends play it and if they are still playing in a few weeks then I can join I guess.  Or maybe I will just upgrade tomorrow  :lol  What's holding me back is doing a lot of data transfer and then I also need install my new SSD and HDD and redo my RAID arrays on my existing drives.  I've just been lazy.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4126 on: March 20, 2018, 07:59:55 AM »
I have no problem paying full price for new releases I have plenty of faith in (basically any major Nintendo release). I think Steam and sales have spoiled people tbh, so many games are worth their cost because you get dozens if not hundreds of hours out of them. When people see a game with potentially 100, 150+ hours of gameplay and decide it isn't worth $60, I'm like... that is an insane dollars:gameplay ratio.

Almost every single time I check the eshop on Switch or the games on Steam (especially Steam) there's little worth buying if it's under $20. Shovelware, mobile ports, hour-long "experiences" or interactive story-type games with little actual gameplay - yeah they might be only $5, but I don't want to spend $5 on tiny throwaway games like that. There are rare special games like Stardew Valley and Terraria that could easily be $60 titles but are fortunately a fraction of that cost, but again, those are rare.

I dunno, there's far too many games out there for me to even keep up with the big names on one system, so I'm not sure why $60 is 'too much' for a solid game, I honestly don't, but I'm also not a Sony or Microsoft gamer, so I don't really have to worry about microtransactions and unfinished games, lol. I have been considering buying FFXV on PC after throwing in a new video card however.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #4127 on: March 20, 2018, 12:04:02 PM »
What's holding me back is doing a lot of data transfer and then I also need install my new SSD and HDD and redo my RAID arrays on my existing drives.  I've just been lazy.

Oh god, I feel you on that one. Very tedious and boring.

I have no problem paying full price for new releases I have plenty of faith in (basically any major Nintendo release). I think Steam and sales have spoiled people tbh, so many games are worth their cost because you get dozens if not hundreds of hours out of them. When people see a game with potentially 100, 150+ hours of gameplay and decide it isn't worth $60, I'm like... that is an insane dollars:gameplay ratio.

Almost every single time I check the eshop on Switch or the games on Steam (especially Steam) there's little worth buying if it's under $20. Shovelware, mobile ports, hour-long "experiences" or interactive story-type games with little actual gameplay - yeah they might be only $5, but I don't want to spend $5 on tiny throwaway games like that. There are rare special games like Stardew Valley and Terraria that could easily be $60 titles but are fortunately a fraction of that cost, but again, those are rare.

I dunno, there's far too many games out there for me to even keep up with the big names on one system, so I'm not sure why $60 is 'too much' for a solid game, I honestly don't, but I'm also not a Sony or Microsoft gamer, so I don't really have to worry about microtransactions and unfinished games, lol. I have been considering buying FFXV on PC after throwing in a new video card however.

Yeah, most Nintendo games I am happy to both support and buy at full price (especially the big ones like Zelda/Mario/etc). I don't even own a PS4 (a PS3, but bought it exclusively for a bunch of PS2 Atlus games) or an X1, so I can't say much there either but I'd assume that's less of a hassle since sales are a bit more rare (though getting a little more common) and there aren't as many instances as microtransactions (again though, that seems to be changing, though not nearly as much as in the PC world).

If you're up for a cool (mostly) open-world multi-bro adventure with tons of old FF callbacks and a fairly cool story, definitely check out XV. I'm running it with a 1080 with the majority of the time spent playing on a 1080p monitor at nearly max settings (some of the more ridiculous nvidia options are turned off, barring hairworks and turfworks) and it's a cool 80-120 FPS (the large disparity is solely due to the larger cities and/or insane fights, it's mostly very stable at around 90-95). I've tried 1440p but I really don't like taking the hit in FPS (which is anywhere from 50-70 FPS) since this is a game where, while it's not going to ruin the experience, it is absolutely noticeable during fights.

I'm enjoying it a lot though. I will say that you can tell at times that the development was broken up and some things aren't as polished as they should be, mostly regarding the story but it's in some of the world as well. It's meant to be a totally open world FF but there are still those random invisible walls in places that look completely traversable and there's certain quirks with the game's fighting system that isn't super hot (like the magic system, which is actual trash just for how bland and boring it is, but is effectively workable). But 9 times out of 10 I'm super into the game whether I'm fighting or exploring. I also kind of blame BoTW for spoiling me on the "go literally ANYWHERE" open world system, but I really do feel like XV goes overboard with the extremely random linear sections of the game in an area that looks totally explorable and open. It doesn't happen a lot but when it does it takes you out of the experience completely. That, weirdly enough, is my biggest gripe with the game. They haven't reached true "open world" yet; it can be classified as such but with an asterisk here and there.

RIP DTP.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4128 on: March 20, 2018, 12:12:06 PM »
That's a real shame about the invisible barriers that keep you from seriously exploring. That's genuinely disappointing. I do want to play it because the boss battles look ridiculously cool and it's just beautiful, but that's a problem. So is the lack of diversity in the party, the entire bromance/road trip/bonding thing is not what I really want out of a Final Fantasy story. Maybe I should wait for a sale. Especially since my video card is a 780. Trying to get a 1080 thrown in this year.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4129 on: March 20, 2018, 01:49:21 PM »
I thought Mario Odyssey justified $60 and Hollow Knight was worth at least double what it charged but in general $60 is too much for any one game