Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 482265 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #4025 on: February 21, 2018, 09:59:10 PM »
I'm gonna cut the whole 'sprite' out from the blank pages at the end, stitch them together, and put it on top of a watercolor background. I haven't used watercolors since I was a kid over 20 years ago but that's part of the fun... who says this stuff is for kids... my dad apparently  :lol Okay... resume the game discussion!

And yes, Rattlehead... finish it!!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:27:17 PM by Kattoelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4026 on: February 22, 2018, 09:52:42 PM »
I can’t stop playing divinity original sin 2. I never thought I’d be a fan of an rpg but the game intrigued me because of the reviews and how nice it looked. It is a very hard game because it requires you thinking outside the box, or at least realizing the game isn’t like skyrim where you are else to every waypoint. It’s incredibly rewarding though.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4027 on: February 23, 2018, 02:05:33 AM »
I just got myself a Switch - Wasn't planned, got it second hand from a guy at work.   Only game I've got is Mario Kart - so I guess I should pick up Zelda, right?   Anything else worth picking up? - my knowledge of the Switch is pretty much zero :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4028 on: February 23, 2018, 03:01:18 AM »
Mario Odyssey would be another essential.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4029 on: February 23, 2018, 05:07:18 AM »
I just got myself a Switch - Wasn't planned, got it second hand from a guy at work.   Only game I've got is Mario Kart - so I guess I should pick up Zelda, right?   Anything else worth picking up? - my knowledge of the Switch is pretty much zero :)

I've bought way too much stuff, here's what i would buy again:

1. Zelda for sure
2. Mr. shifty (Cheap as shit, fun as shit)
3. Splatoon 2 (I personally love it and its a quirky spin on the first person shooter)
4. Xenoblade 2 (If you like RPG games)
5. Skyrim?  (Somehow, despite it being a 3rd play through, I put 60 hours into it... the game is very fun on switch)

*stuff I bought and haven't touched in a long time

1. Mario kart - Its a cool game sure, but I just got board of it. I you like the other mario kart games
2. Odyssey -  Many love it, but not me.  I beat it in a day and a half and then was bored everytime I forced myself to turn it back on. But if you think you will like it, then pick it up.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4030 on: February 23, 2018, 07:25:27 AM »
Mario Odyssey would be another essential.

Apparently you are going to want to get this before Zelda

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #4031 on: February 23, 2018, 07:54:38 AM »
Haven't played much on Switch since getting it for Christmas. I've focused mostly on Zelda and Mario Odyssey. I also have downloaded a few games that are reminiscent of older games (or they actually are). From what I've played I can recommend:

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild - This is the best 3D Zelda game, hands down. This is the game you should play.
2. Mighty Gunvolt Burst - Just picked this up last night. Very reminiscent of 8-bit Mega Man games. Only played a few levels, but I can tell this is a very fun game if you like Mega Man.
3. Mario Kart 8 - I only have this on Wii U, but for me it's the best MK there is, so I'm sure it's great on Switch.
4. Vs. Super Mario Bros. - An arcade game from the '80s that is almost identical to the original SMB. Almost. If you like SMB, you'll like this version. It's got some enough twists to keep it interesting.
5. Super Mario Odyssey - Fun game, but not much else. I got to the end fairly quickly. Not enough content before endgame, for me. But still fun. If you like the older 3D Marios, pick it up, but don't expect it to be the best, because it's not.
6. Blaster Master Zero - Basically a reimagining of the old NES game. Fun, but fairly easy given the original is almost insanely hard towards the final levels. If you like platformers, I'd recommend.

I'm looking forward to picking up Azure Striker Gunvolt 1&2, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I've heard good things.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4032 on: February 23, 2018, 09:58:35 AM »
Games I own and/or highly recommend:

1. Zelda Breath of the Wild
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
4. Disgaea 5 Complete (turn-based strategy but I only recommend if you're the kind of person who enjoys completely over-the-top wild action, grinding, and seeing massive numbers for no good reason)
5. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (turn-based strategy that requires no grinding and is a joy from start to finish with no required additional investment beyond the main story)
6. Fast RMX ($20 indie futuristic racing game in the vein of F-Zero)
7. Cave Story+
8. Stardew Valley
9. Dragon Quest Builders
10. Sonic Mania
11. Skyrim
12. Doom
13. Wolfenstein 2
14. Vs. Super Mario Bros.
15. Mighty Gunvolt Burst
16. Blast Master Zero
17. Slain: Back From Hell (like Castlevania/Metroid, but with heavy metal)
18. Fire Emblem Warriors
19. Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
20. Bayonetta (if you buy this you get a discount on Bayonetta 2)
21. Bayonetta 2 (if you buy this you get a discount on Bayonetta 1)
22. Pokken Tournament DX (if you like Pokemon)
23. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (I actually don't highly recommend this, but if you find it cheap and enjoy Dragon Ball, it's worth it. But it is infuriating and unfair and has a boatload of problems that keep it from actually being great.)

Upcoming games to look for:
1. Kirby Star Allies (mid-March)
2. Yoshi (late summer or fall)
3. Pokemon (main entry game, likely coming sometime 2019)
4. Metroid Prime 4 (likely 2019)
5. Super Smash Bros. (I expect an announcement at E3 this year, so either late this year or early 2019)
6. Animal Crossing (not announced, but it's been 5 years since the last installment so I can't imagine they don't have it in the works
7. Pikmin 4 (no idea when this will come out but hopefully later 2018 or early 2019)
8. the next Legend of Zelda game (already in development)

And then there's a ton of other stuff on the eshop I haven't tried...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4033 on: February 23, 2018, 12:39:14 PM »
Just got Forza 6. First forza I've ever got and I love it. I loved Gran turismo since I was 9, but imo its been the same game since 3 and I was highly disappointed by 5. Felt like the same old same old.

Forza though feel like the next step forward. It feels like an evolution of the genre. My one complaint is the soundtrack is like some movie score shit. I'm used to techno or alt rock. Something a little more happening, but besides that I truly love this game. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 01:21:39 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #4034 on: February 23, 2018, 02:28:44 PM »

2. Super Mario Odyssey
4. Disgaea 5 Complete (turn-based strategy but I only recommend if you're the kind of person who enjoys completely over-the-top wild action, grinding, and seeing massive numbers for no good reason)
5. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (turn-based strategy that requires no grinding and is a joy from start to finish with no required additional investment beyond the main story)
7. Cave Story+
8. Stardew Valley
9. Dragon Quest Builders
10. Sonic Mania
11. Skyrim
12. Doom
13. Wolfenstein 2
15. Mighty Gunvolt Burst
16. Blast Master Zero
18. Fire Emblem Warriors
23. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (I actually don't highly recommend this, but if you find it cheap and enjoy Dragon Ball, it's worth it. But it is infuriating and unfair and has a boatload of problems that keep it from actually being great.)

5. Super Smash Bros. (I expect an announcement at E3 this year, so either late this year or early 2019)
6. Animal Crossing (not announced, but it's been 5 years since the last installment so I can't imagine they don't have it in the works
7. Pikmin 4 (no idea when this will come out but hopefully later 2018 or early 2019)

Add to upcoming:
Octopath Traveler - It looks goddamn revolutionary.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4035 on: February 23, 2018, 02:33:55 PM »
^^ Crap! Good call. I played the hell out of the demo and it's a day one buy for me. I want one of the older Final Fantasies remade in that exact same style.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4036 on: February 23, 2018, 05:41:10 PM »
Was casually following someone play Mario Odyssey on Youtube... looks like another quality, enjoyable Mario game, but in the course of his 52 videos, he beat Bowser on video 14. That just seems really strange. I know the enjoyment in a game is the journey not the destination, but it feels like playing through the original SMB and saving the princess is world 3-2.

Metroid Prime 4 (likely 2019)
the next Legend of Zelda game (already in development)

Prime 4 was announced in the summer of 2017(?) and will likely be released in 2019? That's crazy.

I haven't seen anything about a Zelda game being developed. They are historically at 4/5 years between releases.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4037 on: February 23, 2018, 08:21:32 PM »
Prime 4 was announced in the summer of 2017(?) and will likely be released in 2019? That's crazy.

I haven't seen anything about a Zelda game being developed. They are historically at 4/5 years between releases.

I admit I could be wrong, and probably will be thanks to an inevitable delay, but I have a feeling Metroid Prime 4 will come out at the end of 2019, around holiday season. That'll be the third year for the Switch and it just makes sense to me, but who knows. I could absolutely be wrong. Zelda, they already announced they recently started work on it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4038 on: February 25, 2018, 07:41:19 AM »
I just realized that this entire console generation didn't get a brand new Elder scrolls or GTA.

The ps3/360 generation got TWO separate GTA's and Elder scrolls, yet the the current generation just gets "enhanced" versions.  :'(
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:37:48 AM by Phoenix87x »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4039 on: February 25, 2018, 09:36:24 AM »
So here's a question on my mind this morning regarding wireless controllers:

Xbox has double A batteries
PS4 you plug it in and recharge

In my junk drawer I have had AA batteries since as long as i can remember, or at the very least there are always two of them. So the xbox controller is always ready to rock. With the PS4 controller, sure its convenient to never have to buy batteries, but it typically goes dead at the most inconvenient times, and the cords is just short of being comfortable and on top of that, the rechargeable battery has diminishing returns over the long term.

Which do you guys prefer
I bought a couple of very long USB cables (for very cheap) so can always play while charging. So I definitely prefer rechargeable.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4040 on: February 25, 2018, 10:00:16 AM »
I just realized that this entire console generation didn't get a brand new Elder scrolls or GTA.

The ps3/360 generation got TWO separate GTA's and Elder scrolls, yet the the current generation just gets "enhanced" versions.  :'(

Think we're entering the dark age of 'wait close to a decade for a new installment' in these series, due to how big and complex games are now. I don't expect a new Elder Scrolls or GTA til 2020 at the earliest unfortunately. But, at least for Rockstar, I know GTA 6 will be freaking mindblowing. Something about that studio, man, they just know how to make jam-packed, great games. GTA 6 is the only game far off in the future that I'm already salivating over.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4041 on: February 25, 2018, 10:01:46 AM »

In my junk drawer I have had AA batteries since as long as i can remember, or at the very least there are always two of them. So the xbox controller is always ready to rock. With the PS4 controller, sure its convenient to never have to buy batteries, but it typically goes dead at the most inconvenient times, and the cords is just short of being comfortable and on top of that, the rechargeable battery has diminishing returns over the long term.

Which do you guys prefer
I bought a couple of very long USB cables (for very cheap) so can always play while charging. So I definitely prefer rechargeable.

Yeah, I'm in the recharge camp. Batteries are annoying. That said, I hate when I'm in the middle of playing my Switch and still have things I want to do in a game and then the controller battery depletes so I have to either set it in the dock or play in handheld mode for a while. Should just get a charging grip...

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4042 on: February 25, 2018, 02:21:57 PM »
My couch comes equipped with USB ports. Recharging while playing has never been an issue.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4043 on: February 25, 2018, 02:39:36 PM »
My couch comes equipped with USB ports. Recharging while playing has never been an issue.

Damn

I need to get a better couch  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4044 on: February 25, 2018, 11:55:53 PM »

Which do you guys prefer

Yeah, I'm in the recharge camp. Batteries are annoying. That said, I hate when I'm in the middle of playing my Switch and still have things I want to do in a game and then the controller battery depletes so I have to either set it in the dock or play in handheld mode for a while. Should just get a charging grip...

I know right. Just clip them on the grip and insert usb charger. Which would be located on top.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4045 on: February 26, 2018, 04:26:17 AM »

2. Super Mario Odyssey
7. Cave Story+
8. Stardew Valley
9. Dragon Quest Builders
10. Sonic Mania
11. Skyrim
12. Doom
13. Wolfenstein 2
15. Mighty Gunvolt Burst
16. Blast Master Zero
18. Fire Emblem Warriors

That's quite a check list!

Been playing Mario Kart on and off over the weekend, cool game - thought I was doing well single player......went online got my ass totally handed to me - I mean seriously, utterly destroyed (I was getting stars and rockets nearly every box and still miles behind)!  All good fun though.

Mario Odyssey arrived today - so looking forward to getting stuck into that.  Getting Zelda as a Birthday present, so going to have to wait a couple of weeks for that.

Whats the general consensus with the Switch digital store?  I had a brief look and the prices looked quite high, also the (current) sale didn't seem anything special (unlike the PS4 sales that can be quite generous).  Do you ever get any real good discounts on the store?

Any opinion here on Steamworld Tactics?  It caught my eye on the store as something I'd probably enjoy.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4046 on: February 26, 2018, 05:02:27 AM »

Whats the general consensus with the Switch digital store?  I had a brief look and the prices looked quite high, also the (current) sale didn't seem anything special (unlike the PS4 sales that can be quite generous).  Do you ever get any real good discounts on the store?

I've never seen any respectable discounts like how PS4 or steam do it. And I think that's lame.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4047 on: February 26, 2018, 05:10:15 AM »

I've never seen any respectable discounts like how PS4 or steam do it. And I think that's lame.

I suppose given there is no online subscription with the switch, the lack of decent sales is the counterbalance?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4048 on: February 26, 2018, 06:17:08 AM »
My friend sent me this video of Zelda Breath of the Wild. Thought I would share it here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QuE3P4E9seA
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4049 on: February 26, 2018, 07:16:16 AM »
^^ Nice vid!! That was cool.

As far as the Switch eshop goes I think the prices are fair. I plopped down $16 a couple days ago to get Slain: Back From Hell and it's awesome. I got Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle for $40, which means I got the full game + DLC for a grand total of $60, that was a pretty good deal. If you've ever known Nintendo, their first party titles rarely go on sale, so just keep your eyes peeled. I think the pricings are very fair for most games and the deals are standard (I got 20% off Slain, which was $20 initially).

PS4 and Steam have great discounts but to be honest it's pretty slim pickings imo, at least on Steam's end (used to be an awesome thing, Steam, now it's just terrible).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4050 on: February 26, 2018, 03:42:10 PM »
Been playing loads of GTA 5 lately. I always take long breaks with GTA but every time I come back I have as much fun as the last time. Love this game, just really wish the online content would come to single player. It's so unfair.

Also: it's done - at least the hardest part. Lots of errors I'm not happy with and a sad rip but it won't matter after I piece it together and set it as one complete 'sprite' on the background I'm making with watercolor. I'll post the final update after it's all finished later in the week, hopefully.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4051 on: February 26, 2018, 07:31:35 PM »
I’ve been playing FF3/6 for the past 2 weeks or so. Taking my time and playing it slowly with the little bit of time I have. I’m up to where the world changes and CID is taking care of Celes. So cool to see you doing that artwork.

PS: I forgot how freaking awesome the music for this game is. While playing it I’ve been taking breaks to figure out some of the music :)
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #4052 on: February 27, 2018, 04:08:02 AM »
Final Fantasy XV on PC WOOOOOOOOOOOT!

Been waiting for this for a while and I'm having a blast with the demo. This game is super pretty and super fun, I think I'm going to sink a lot of hours into this one.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4053 on: February 27, 2018, 04:48:24 AM »
I might have to give FFXV a shot now that it's on PC. I remember trying to play FFVII and didn't like it at all, that was many years ago though.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4054 on: February 27, 2018, 05:48:42 AM »
I really want to like FFXV more than I do.

Like the first 5 hours, it was really like "WOW, its wide open. Finally". It was initially so refreshing after XIII, but after like 10 hours I put it down. Its definitely a decent game, I just need to get back in to it. I will say that they really goofed on how they presented the story. Its a decent story, just having to watch Kingsglave to get any info just isn't fair. And I watched Kingsglave before starting and I'm still pretty confused. XV is definitely a step in the right direction though.

It is great being able to go off road though  :D

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #4055 on: February 27, 2018, 02:27:15 PM »
I got my open world itch scratched REAL GOOD with Breath of the Wild, I'm just looking for a fun action-RPG (with some possible ATB/Turn-based battles, though the "Wait" mode in this game is hella annoying at times...most of the time) and some FF nostalgia. So I think I'll quite enjoy this. The open world is cool but nothing is going to ever come close to BoTW, I don't think. That game just had open world perfect to the most minute, minuscule detail. It makes all others look like rushed, unpolished turds. Case in point...for a second I was legitimately annoyed that I couldn't climb a rock to get a better view but then realized that this isn't that type of game, but BoTW just spoiled me silly in regards to how fantastic the world and the interaction with that world is.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4056 on: February 27, 2018, 02:45:38 PM »
I'm actually sad how badly Breath has spoiled me. I've tried playing open world games since it came out and I just can't have fun anymore. The lack of climbing has ruined me. Climbing needs to be a thing in all open world games from now on. The age of forcing yourself to run up a vertical surface needs to become a thing of the past!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4057 on: February 27, 2018, 04:33:04 PM »
Speaking of kickass open world games. I got both of the expansions for witcher 3 and damn, I forgot how incredible this game is. And it still looks just as jaw dropingly gorgeous. The amount of things you can do and the depth to those quests are profound.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4058 on: March 01, 2018, 08:27:14 AM »
Do you feel one would have to play through the witcher 2 to enjoy the witcher 3?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4059 on: March 01, 2018, 09:01:44 AM »
Do you feel one would have to play through the witcher 2 to enjoy the witcher 3?

Not at all necessary, but if you're a sucker for lore, it only helps flesh out the world.