Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 482364 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #3885 on: December 14, 2017, 09:36:08 AM »
i put okami in my top 5 games back when i did my list,

so,

yeah, get it???

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3886 on: December 15, 2017, 11:22:20 AM »
I tried Yooka and I liked it but it was definitely not up to Banjo par. Like not even close. It's a weak imitator at best. That said, it's a fun distraction but as far as the golden age of 3D platforming and all that, it's mostly nostalgia glasses. It does get the look down and it's got some moments but it's also very janky at times in both mechanics (camera and controls; those types of games are meant to emulate the games of old but it doesn't mean they have to control like them, back when 3D mechanics were actually a fairly new concept) and the puzzles they implement. Gets repetitive super quick.

i put okami in my top 5 games back when i did my list,

so,

yeah, get it???

Yes.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3887 on: December 15, 2017, 04:47:11 PM »
I tried Yooka and I liked it but it was definitely not up to Banjo par. Like not even close. It's a weak imitator at best. That said, it's a fun distraction but as far as the golden age of 3D platforming and all that, it's mostly nostalgia glasses. It does get the look down and it's got some moments but it's also very janky at times in both mechanics (camera and controls; those types of games are meant to emulate the games of old but it doesn't mean they have to control like them, back when 3D mechanics were actually a fairly new concept) and the puzzles they implement. Gets repetitive super quick.

That perfectly sums up my thoughts. Ultimately, it does what I need it to do, but I could see how people would feel kind of let down by it.

But anyway, we are getting close to the end of the year. What is everyone's game of the Year?

For me its Xenoblade chronicles 2

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3888 on: December 15, 2017, 04:48:11 PM »
hollow knight, but Mario Odyssey is close behind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3889 on: December 15, 2017, 05:09:06 PM »
Breath of the Wild and it's not even close haha. Hell it's officially my GOAT.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3890 on: December 15, 2017, 05:35:25 PM »
PUBG easily for me

speaking of, only in that game can you have a dinner date with someone (before I kill them of course) https://youtu.be/QNS-xrisMf8?t=3m4s

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3891 on: December 15, 2017, 05:38:59 PM »
What were your thoughts on the new Zelda DLC Kattelox? I'm a bit torn; the new shrines and dungeon were good but I kind of wanted more story. And the game engine can't keep up with the bike in many areas, so there's a lot of freezing while the world loads

But yeah Zelda is my GOTY. Probably in my all time top ten too; best game I've played since Resident Evil 4

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3892 on: December 15, 2017, 09:53:57 PM »
I haven't even gotten to the second boss in Zelda and it's easily my favorite of the year by a long haul. It's ridiculous how good it is. I've got Xenoblade 2 just sitting there because I can't get away from Zelda. I've even forced myself away as much I can as to not get burned out on it but that's just not happening.  :lol

Before Zelda I would've said, by lightyears it would've been Prey. A game of alllllmost equally detailed and so intriguing and innovative concepts that is also done so beautifully and fun. But Zelda not only has my open world itch covered, but also has the looting, the weapon and armor customization, the puzzles...it's got fucking everything I want.  :metal Prey is very close though. I am really not into first-person games much anymore, but if they're of the ilk that Metroid Prime originally laid down with "First Person Adventure" (or rather redefined it, but it was a first for me) I'm all for it; and Prey gave me exactly that, a First Person Adventure. Didn't even feel like a "shooter" despite the shooting elements.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:00:21 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3893 on: December 15, 2017, 10:00:17 PM »
What were your thoughts on the new Zelda DLC Kattelox? I'm a bit torn; the new shrines and dungeon were good but I kind of wanted more story. And the game engine can't keep up with the bike in many areas, so there's a lot of freezing while the world loads

But yeah Zelda is my GOTY. Probably in my all time top ten too; best game I've played since Resident Evil 4

I like the upgrades to the champion abilities and especially the bike. I would've liked more story but it's whatever, I suppose. The awful voice acting combined with the corny dialogue is way too much in the DLC though. Going back to the beasts for the extra dialogue is painful. I love the new armor and the shrines and how you get another heart container, hope there is more DLC next year to give a full 30, but I just realized that would make temporary hearts impossible to get. Unless they increase the heart count. But yeah, really good DLC. The freezing should be fixed though, that's happened a lot to me. And let me ride the bike in the desert and Death Mountain damn it
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3894 on: December 16, 2017, 07:04:04 AM »
I definitely wanted to give props to Zelda as well. That was an incredible game and a very close runner up for game of the year.

And While I'm at it, I wanted to give some praise to Sonic Mania as well. Not necessarily a game of the year candidate for me, but a lot of fun none the less.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3895 on: December 16, 2017, 05:04:36 PM »
Thanks to Christmas bonus at work and Christmas money from parents, I just bought myself a 128 gig microSD card for the Switch, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (downloading now), and I want to buy another but I'm going to wait. I really hope I enjoy Xenoblade.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3896 on: December 16, 2017, 05:27:29 PM »
If I have one criticism about xenoblade, its that it looks Rough in handheld. The resolution goes super low in handheld and that beautifully crafted world quite frankly looks like shit. Its better from what I hear in docked, but the fundamental reason I bought a switch was because I can play handheld, so oh well.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3897 on: December 17, 2017, 08:44:56 AM »
I bought The Division recently and I must say it's alot of fun both alone and with friends. I'm guessing it might become repetitive like Wildlands after a while but so far so good.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3898 on: December 18, 2017, 05:17:00 AM »
Spent some time with the test server in PUBG, what an improvement. I finally have a reliable group that I play with (still have to play with cramx) so it makes it that more fun.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3899 on: December 18, 2017, 07:18:25 AM »
If I have one criticism about xenoblade, its that it looks Rough in handheld. The resolution goes super low in handheld and that beautifully crafted world quite frankly looks like shit. Its better from what I hear in docked, but the fundamental reason I bought a switch was because I can play handheld, so oh well.

Thankfully 99% of my playing is done in docked mode. I did check it out in handheld and it really is rough. Thankfully on the TV it looks incredible though. I was really nervous about being let down after spending so long in Zelda but this is a really beautiful game with great music, fun combat and gorgeous places to explore even though I'm only on Gormott. Still haven't seen a ton of it because there are enemies in the 30s and 40s, and I'm 16, wtf. Found a level 91 dinosaur. It's so awesome to just sit back and watch all the creatures walk about the plains!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:31:00 AM by Kattoelox »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3900 on: December 18, 2017, 08:17:52 AM »
Spent some time with the test server in PUBG, what an improvement. I finally have a reliable group that I play with (still have to play with cramx) so it makes it that more fun.

Nice, yea it makes a difference playing with fun team mates.  I just made a new PUBG friend through another friend I play with and it's great cause he loves trolling like I do  :lol  I'm going to be playing a lot since its a 4 day work week followed by 11 days off  :metal

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3901 on: December 19, 2017, 08:05:53 PM »
For anyone who was a fan of super smash bros and was itching to play it on the Switch, a substitute smash clone has just been released called Brawlout. It basically is strait up super smash brothers, but I'm hesitant to invest. I'd rather just hold out for Smash proper.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3902 on: December 19, 2017, 08:13:51 PM »
For anyone who was a fan of super smash bros and was itching to play it on the Switch, a substitute smash clone has just been released called Brawlout. It basically is strait up super smash brothers, but I'm hesitant to invest. I'd rather just hold out for Smash proper.

Same... it looks interesting but it's so close to looking like Smash that it just makes me want Smash. The characters aren't doing much for me. I'm having a ton of fun with Xenoblade anyway.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3903 on: December 20, 2017, 07:24:41 PM »

There's an older Smash-style fighting game, for free, on Steam, called Brawlhalla. Check it out, it's good.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3904 on: December 20, 2017, 08:20:50 PM »
No PUBG tonight as the servers are down in prep to go live with the official launch, saw Star Wars since I wasn't gaming lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3905 on: December 20, 2017, 08:24:42 PM »
I know cramx, I was bummed when I realized I can't get some pubg time in tonight. Can't wait to see 1.0

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3906 on: December 21, 2017, 08:19:49 AM »
I'm digging the hell out of Xenoblade so far but there are so many little problems with it and minor inconveniences like not being able to climb that I'm a bit annoyed at it from time to time. The combat finally clicked last night, though, and now I'm having a super fun time fighting enemies. Normally anything one level over me would destroy me but my team of level 21 characters took down a level 26 without anybody getting KOed which was awesome.

I got Assassin's Creed 4 last week and it held my interest for all of 20 minutes. Meh.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3907 on: December 23, 2017, 07:58:30 PM »
This guy has a lot of video games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sjjGblGtiU

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3908 on: December 24, 2017, 06:32:05 AM »
Mrs. P and I broke our console cherry yesterday and bought a PS4 Pro for ourselves. She's not a gamer, like at all, but I've been playing PC games since...well, PC's became widely available in the early 80's. Our thought was, we'd better learn to use a controller if we want to spend any meaningful time with our grandson and also because we thought we could use some winter-time leisure activity, that we could do together, that would be fun.

I spent a few hours with Horizon Zero Dawn, COD WWII, Ratchet & Clank, and Uncharted 1. I realize it will take time to develop some skill but...goddamn, controlling the camera with my right thumb is like trying to shove a live worm through an boiled macaroni noodle! How the fuck do you folks aim without a mouse?! I gave up trying to shoot people in Uncharted and would just bullrush through a hail of bullets to punch the living shit out of the gun man. I received a "brawler achievement" by the second gun battle.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3909 on: December 24, 2017, 07:03:27 AM »
I'm digging the hell out of Xenoblade so far but there are so many little problems with it and minor inconveniences like not being able to climb that I'm a bit annoyed at it from time to time. The combat finally clicked last night, though, and now I'm having a super fun time fighting enemies. Normally anything one level over me would destroy me but my team of level 21 characters took down a level 26 without anybody getting KOed which was awesome.

I got Assassin's Creed 4 last week and it held my interest for all of 20 minutes. Meh.

Can't wrap my head around the combat in Xenoblade at all. I'm enjoying the game despite that, but good God is it overly complicated

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3910 on: December 27, 2017, 10:22:30 AM »

Can't wrap my head around the combat in Xenoblade at all. I'm enjoying the game despite that, but good God is it overly complicated

The game really is overly complicated, and not always in a good or fun way. I find the combat interesting but only because I now understand how it all works. I want to find a new tank to replace Tora and Poppi because I will never play Tiger Tiger enough to power Poppi up meaningfully for endgame. This shit is really testing my patience - I've even checked out of the story 4 chapters in because it is so embarrassingly cliché and full of perverted, cringeworthy anime tropes (and other tropes that AREN'T perverted!) that I just can't deal with it anymore. I'm basically playing to enjoy the beautiful world, great music, and interesting (to me) combat. That's about it. The characters and story are abysmal.

It sucks because this game is so reminiscent of Monolith Soft's older series Baten Kaitos, in quite a number of ways including some aspects of combat. Unfortunately those games were released almost 14 and 12 years ago respectively yet were far less cumbersome and more enjoyable.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3911 on: December 27, 2017, 12:05:01 PM »
Oh god Baten Kaitos.  :metal :heart :heart :heart

RIP DTP.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3912 on: December 27, 2017, 12:48:07 PM »
Oh god Baten Kaitos.  :metal :heart :heart :heart

2 of my favorite RPGs ever, boy do I love those games. Some big problems with both but the pros drastically outweigh the cons.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3913 on: December 28, 2017, 05:52:36 AM »
I'm pretty immersed into Horizon. The hunting vibe and the combat mechanics are completely awesome. I'm still having difficulty with keeping the camera pointed where I want (especially during close quarters combat) but I'm getting there.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3914 on: December 28, 2017, 11:29:19 AM »
Horizon desperately suffered from being an open world game. It was very pretty to look at but not even remotely fun to explore and just resulted in a dull commute between story missions. A more linear setup would have been far more appropriate, maybe along the lines of the recent Tomb Raider games

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3915 on: December 28, 2017, 11:38:29 AM »
Horizon looks amazing to me. I wish it was on PC so I could at least try it somehow. I won't buy a PS4 just to play it. Heard of a few flaws with it but I can't imagine it's as disappointing as Xenoblade has been for me.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3916 on: December 28, 2017, 11:40:14 AM »
If you've played Breath of the Wild, Horizon will feel very pedestrian in comparison

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3917 on: December 28, 2017, 11:50:01 AM »
If you've played Breath of the Wild, Horizon will feel very pedestrian in comparison

If? IF?  :lol :lol

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3918 on: December 28, 2017, 11:53:23 AM »
No I know you have. I meant if *one* has played BotW

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3919 on: December 31, 2017, 08:27:28 AM »
I also picked up Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle a couple nights ago because it was $20 off (so I got the game and all the DLC for the full retail price of the base game). Great game, the Rabbids are surprisingly entertaining, it's just a really fascinating mashup of two franchises you never thought of seeing together. Highly recommended even if you aren't a strategy game fan (I like some turn-based games like Fire Emblem and Disgaea but not much else).