Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 484029 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #3290 on: May 03, 2017, 03:36:43 AM »
This weekend I FINALLY won a game of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds.  I was soo excited to get the last two kills and be the lone survivor of 95 people.  I can't stop playing this game, but so glad I finally won after finishing in 2nd so many times.  I did catch it all on video, sadly my MIC was off since I was playing single mode, but I added my commentary:

Battlegrounds Win

And then yesterday we played as a squad with a few friends and we actually won a game there too.  No video of that though, just my tweet of shooting my crossbow while wearing my cross bros shirt (gifted by someone on this forum  ;) )

Short clip of crossbow shooting

I really fancy giving this ago, but I checked on 'Can I run it' and it said my graphic card wasn't up to spec (everything else passed).  I'm not sussed up of computer stuff much, so is it worth risking it?   Or is there anywhere I can run a demo of the game before buying?   I mean the graphics on the game don't look great hardly high end stuff, but my PC is pretty old now.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3291 on: May 03, 2017, 05:04:51 AM »
So I'm around 15 hours or so into Horizon: Zero Dawn, and I'm really loving it. My first PS4 game, and it's beautifully made, engaging narratively and a lot of fun to play. Seems to be a game that is widely loved but little talked about for some reason.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3292 on: May 03, 2017, 05:11:35 AM »
This weekend I FINALLY won a game of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds.  I was soo excited to get the last two kills and be the lone survivor of 95 people.  I can't stop playing this game, but so glad I finally won after finishing in 2nd so many times.  I did catch it all on video, sadly my MIC was off since I was playing single mode, but I added my commentary:

Battlegrounds Win

And then yesterday we played as a squad with a few friends and we actually won a game there too.  No video of that though, just my tweet of shooting my crossbow while wearing my cross bros shirt (gifted by someone on this forum  ;) )

I really fancy giving this ago, but I checked on 'Can I run it' and it said my graphic card wasn't up to spec (everything else passed).  I'm not sussed up of computer stuff much, so is it worth risking it?   Or is there anywhere I can run a demo of the game before buying?   I mean the graphics on the game don't look great hardly high end stuff, but my PC is pretty old now.

If you buy it on Steam you can try it out and return it if you have less than 2 hours of playtime.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3293 on: May 03, 2017, 05:35:05 AM »

Battlegrounds Win

If you buy it on Steam you can try it out and return it if you have less than 2 hours of playtime.

Cheers mate, that's great.  I'll give it a try then.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3294 on: May 03, 2017, 06:44:38 AM »
So I'm around 15 hours or so into Horizon: Zero Dawn, and I'm really loving it. My first PS4 game, and it's beautifully made, engaging narratively and a lot of fun to play. Seems to be a game that is widely loved but little talked about for some reason.

I just finished it up about two weeks ago. After games like Skyrim and Witcher it was a bit of fresh air in that you could actually seem to complete the side quests and everything in a reasonable time. Not so short that it felt in any way like it wasn't worth it, but you're not overwhelmed by it. My biggest concern with the game was how crazy, and on the face dumb the premise seemed to be, but by the end of the game it all made sense. Fantastic.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3295 on: May 03, 2017, 07:12:30 AM »
Without spoiling anything, what did you find "crazy" or "dumb" about the premise?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3296 on: May 03, 2017, 07:40:52 AM »
My main thing was, like, how do we get to this future where civilization is mostly gone, but giant robots roam the earth, and people are living like back in the stone age again? It set up for a cool game, but a horrible story. But they delivered.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3297 on: May 03, 2017, 08:09:01 AM »

Battlegrounds Win

Cheers mate, that's great.  I'll give it a try then.

The game isn't optimized yet so I honestly think you may have issues playing if you don't have good enough specs, but worth a try if you can get the refund.  I've never tried to get a refund before from steam, but I heard you can do what Reaper said.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3298 on: May 03, 2017, 08:13:05 AM »
The game isn't optimized yet so I honestly think you may have issues playing if you don't have good enough specs, but worth a try if you can get the refund.  I've never tried to get a refund before from steam, but I heard you can do what Reaper said.

I've refunded a few games on steam. It's not a problem, and really easy.

soupytwist, what are the minimum specs on the game, and what card do you have?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3299 on: May 03, 2017, 08:16:26 AM »

I've refunded a few games on steam. It's not a problem, and really easy.

soupytwist, what are the minimum specs on the game, and what card do you have?

Good to hear, when my brother and I purchased the game we were both thinking it may be something we return, but I chekced yesterday in my stats and I'm at one day and 12 hours of gameplay so yea... about returning it  :lol

https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/859584579178438656 I tweeted a short clip of my friend and I executing someone last night  :lol  I played like 3 straight hours after work with my buddy in San Fran and then my brother joined in later for squad play.  I can't put this game down.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3300 on: May 03, 2017, 09:47:48 AM »
My main thing was, like, how do we get to this future where civilization is mostly gone, but giant robots roam the earth, and people are living like back in the stone age again? It set up for a cool game, but a horrible story. But they delivered.
Isn't that, like, the whole mystery of the story? Right from the start (when Aloy is age 6 and falls into those ruins) it makes you want to learn about what happened and why things are the way they are.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3301 on: May 03, 2017, 09:58:12 AM »
Isn't that, like, the whole mystery of the story? Right from the start (when Aloy is age 6 and falls into those ruins) it makes you want to learn about what happened and why things are the way they are.

Yes, it did a great job. I'm more talking about a year+ prior to the release when footage and such was shown and I thought, "this will be a cool game, but a stupid story/setup". I ended up being wrong on the latter half when the game pulled me in.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3302 on: May 03, 2017, 10:16:40 AM »

Yes, it did a great job. I'm more talking about a year+ prior to the release when footage and such was shown and I thought, "this will be a cool game, but a stupid story/setup". I ended up being wrong on the latter half when the game pulled me in.
Ahhhhh ok I gotcha.

In which case that'll teach you to make judgements based on flawed assumptions. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3303 on: May 03, 2017, 12:47:30 PM »
Played the game What Remains of Edith Finch last night. It was a quick experience, around 2 hours or so, but it's really impactful nonetheless. You play as Edith Finch returning to her family home after I think it was 10 years. She's the last remaining Finch and she goes back home and the house is abandoned. You go room to room and through journal entries, letters, poems, and drawings, and photographs, relive the last day of that family member. Some of the deaths are really sad, especially if you're a parent.

It really packs an emotional punch, especially with some of the deaths. It added something to the walking simulator genre. Overall, I thought it was enjoyable. A bit pricey, considering the length, but I might replay it again.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3304 on: May 03, 2017, 04:35:31 PM »
^^^  I loved that game. It was quick, but charming and engaging. Enjoyed it quite a bit

But in other news, I finally got Persona 5

I am loving it. For anyone that likes RPGs like final fantasy, or chrono trigger or xenoblade, this is basically what it is, but you are a japanese high school student and it gets wrapped up in all that drama. But there's also monsters and demons to fight. Its offbeat, quirky and crazy and there's nothing quite like it
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 04:41:17 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #3305 on: May 04, 2017, 05:51:22 AM »
I "finished" Breath of the Wild. Yeah the final boss fight isn't that great, but I'm happy to have seen the credits and move onto something else.

Also started Cosmic Star Heroine. It's pretty cool so far. Nice sprite art and the battle system feels fresh.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3306 on: May 04, 2017, 05:41:38 PM »
Nintendo is really annoying. I am basically ready to go digital only with the switch, but Nintendo doesn't seem to understand that games go down in value as time goes by.

Steam has it right, running 24 hour sales which get my impulse purchases, or better yet, starts discounting games reasonably as time goes by. Even the playstation store discounts stuff as more time goes by and has the flash sales.

Not damn nintendo though. There's Wii U games from 2014 on their E-shop that are still listed as $59.99 (plus tax). Forget that. The very same games are on Ebay in physical form for like $26 bucks, with free shipping and no tax. So obviously I am going to the budget route. So sorry nintendo, you can have a fair amount of money for digital copies of games that have been out a while, or see no money at all, when I'm over on ebay buying it used from a private seller.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3307 on: May 05, 2017, 07:47:37 AM »
Steam has it right, running 24 hour sales which get my impulse purchases, or better yet, starts discounting games reasonably as time goes by. Even the playstation store discounts stuff as more time goes by and has the flash sales.

Agreed, this is why I love steam, and PC gaming in general.  There are ALWAYS sales on games digitally if you look.  Buying a gaming PC is more expensive than a console, but buying the games is usually cheaper.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3308 on: May 05, 2017, 01:05:13 PM »
Everything about Nintendo's business practices makes me hate myself with nearly nauseating hatred for liking their IP enough to continue giving them my money.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #3309 on: May 05, 2017, 01:52:17 PM »
Everything about Nintendo's business practices makes me hate myself with nearly nauseating hatred for liking their IP enough to continue giving them my money.

I'm coming to the point where I'm not going to support them. I mean, I literally can play EVERY NES GAME EVER on my NES via my PowerPak I got online, and I was ready to support Nintendo by giving them money for 30 emulated games in a mini-NES. They give you NO fucking opportunity to buy the system, and then discontinue it six months later, as if there's no demand for it. Fuck. You. Nintendo. I've sworn off buying a Switch unless they let me buy the mini-NES at $60. And watch, they'll do the same thing at the end of this year with a mini-SNES. So, I'm just going to continue to enjoy all my old games with my PowerPak, and continue to support Sony, who actually gives a fuck about their customers.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3310 on: May 05, 2017, 01:55:10 PM »
Guaranteed they will do something with the mini snes. Maybe they'll discontinue it to release the mini n64.

This business practice also encourages buying as many mini snes as possible to resell it in anticipation for it to be discontinued.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3311 on: May 05, 2017, 07:20:10 PM »
There's a massive Star wars game sale on steam right now.

I just got Jedi Outcast for $2.49    what a bargain, and for the record, its just as good as it ever was  :metal

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3312 on: May 05, 2017, 10:45:24 PM »
Playing Jedi Outcast now. Much harder than I remember. Or my age is affecting my gaming skills.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline j

« Reply #3313 on: May 05, 2017, 11:12:43 PM »

Could not have said it better myself.

-J

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3314 on: May 05, 2017, 11:22:00 PM »
Finally got new Wii controllers so soon I'll, once for all, beat Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (got stuck at one of the latest bosses plus my controllers broke and life and college and etc.), but first, gotta finish this mofo:
The Last Door
Season 1 at least.
Well, couldn't resist and ended up beating MP3 after 5 times trying to win the final boss. Later I realised it was in Veteran difficulty - no wonder why it was so damn tough :lol

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3315 on: May 06, 2017, 06:30:27 AM »
Playing Jedi Outcast now. Much harder than I remember. Or my age is affecting my gaming skills.

There are so many games that I've gone back to and found that they are hard as hell. I figured it was because I had way more time to game when I was younger.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3316 on: May 06, 2017, 04:47:06 PM »
I bought Prey on steam today and I must say it's the perfect kind of FPS game I was looking for right now. It feels like a Bioshock kind of game with an interesting story along with exploring, looting, reading backstories and logs and so on all in a more scary setting set in space. Not Alien: Isolation scary but enough too keep you on the edge, although i've only played an hour yet.
The gameplay is what sets it apart though, feels interesting and unique.

If you like games like Bioshock, Half Life and Dead Space I think you will enjoy this game.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:53:22 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3317 on: May 06, 2017, 05:46:09 PM »
I've heard a lot about prey and I would like to get to it sometime but I still want to get in and play battlegrounds.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3318 on: May 07, 2017, 12:30:07 AM »
I bought Prey on steam today and I must say it's the perfect kind of FPS game I was looking for right now. It feels like a Bioshock kind of game with an interesting story along with exploring, looting, reading backstories and logs and so on all in a more scary setting set in space. Not Alien: Isolation scary but enough too keep you on the edge, although i've only played an hour yet.
The gameplay is what sets it apart though, feels interesting and unique.

If you like games like Bioshock, Half Life and Dead Space I think you will enjoy this game.

Couldn't agree more with this. This game is the fucking shiznit. I've played so many games recently that are just "cool to kill time" and then I forget about them. This game, I will absolutely finish. Probably 100% unless the second act takes a nosedive or something, which I don't foresee. Really awesome game and I'm about 5 hours in.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3319 on: May 07, 2017, 05:58:37 AM »
Welp that's another game to add to the list. The Bishock series is one of my favorite of all time, also my old high school friend worked on making the levels on the game.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3320 on: May 07, 2017, 12:22:35 PM »
I had to make myself stop playing last night. I am having a royal blast with this thing. I'm not sure if the combination of nostalgia and the original innovation and ground-breaking game-changing aspects of Bioshock will allow Prey to beat it out, but the fact I have to consider it says a whopping fuck ton. If it keeps up and the fantastic lore and story continues along with the amazing mechanics and gameplay...it might.

One aspect of Bioshock that wore on me was the overplayed themes off the time period along with certain music themes (though for the most part that aspect was awesome). Prey has some of the most awesome ambient and outright musical themes I've heard in any game like this in a long while. Some of the beats are actually really catchy while still being foreboding and ominous.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3321 on: May 07, 2017, 12:46:36 PM »
Not familiar with Prey but if it's getting praise compared to bioshock then maybe I should check it out. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3322 on: May 07, 2017, 06:23:13 PM »
Finished the first season of The Last Door. Good story but typical bad point-&-click gameplay. Since I've got no internet (using mobile data now) and forgot to download season 2, was about to start either Metroid Fusion, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, or Mother 3. Wanted to take a little break from Metroid games so tried the second title. Boy, that was a bit too cheesy/old-school for me  :lol I'll return to it later, so now began with Mother 3. Really liking it so far.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3323 on: May 07, 2017, 06:36:35 PM »
Metroid fusion is sweet. Also zero mission is incredible.

For castlevania, I think circle of the moon was my fav from that gen, but Aria of sorry is so damn good too.

But anywho, I just got mario Kart 8 Deluxe and its just as incredible as I hoped it would be.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3324 on: May 08, 2017, 05:30:09 PM »
I had to make myself stop playing last night. I am having a royal blast with this thing. I'm not sure if the combination of nostalgia and the original innovation and ground-breaking game-changing aspects of Bioshock will allow Prey to beat it out, but the fact I have to consider it says a whopping fuck ton. If it keeps up and the fantastic lore and story continues along with the amazing mechanics and gameplay...it might.

One aspect of Bioshock that wore on me was the overplayed themes off the time period along with certain music themes (though for the most part that aspect was awesome). Prey has some of the most awesome ambient and outright musical themes I've heard in any game like this in a long while. Some of the beats are actually really catchy while still being foreboding and ominous.
I hear you, really enjoying this game too.

I had a serious jumpscare today.

Spoilery
Can't remember what area but there's this room where you're suppose to press a green button several times on a glass window, let's just say that Phantom scared the crap out of me.
:lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls