Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 484515 times)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #3255 on: April 21, 2017, 11:20:12 PM »
I can wait. I've stopped buying first runs of consoles. I let them iron out the kinks and buy the improved version or a sweet bundle down the line. Though I have been stockpiling the Switch games I want for when I finally get it.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3256 on: April 22, 2017, 12:03:22 AM »
Reap, you're smart in not caving in and just getting one as soon as it becomes available to you. Nintendo will never even consider changing their shitty ways as long as everyone's throwing cash at them.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3257 on: April 22, 2017, 07:55:21 AM »
Quite honestly it's the nintendo classic thing that soured me enough to not really want the switch either. :lol I'll just setup an emulator with my raspberry pi and be done with it.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3258 on: April 22, 2017, 11:14:44 AM »
If you've got the PC set up, emulators are amazing. Legality be damned.

Granted, I'm definitely going to get a Switch, it just won't be for another year when I'm sure there's plenty of amazing games. BoTW is incredible but I am not about to spend that cash for one game. Especially since these days, MUCH to my chagrin, I cannot game nearly as much as I used to...not even close. Even on my off days. But having a handful of awesome games to play would be worth it.

I also kind of what to see where this system goes and what third parties do with it, if anything at all. That's always been Ninty's big issue and I don't see it recessing with this generation.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3259 on: April 23, 2017, 06:01:14 PM »
If you've got the PC set up, emulators are amazing. Legality be damned.

Granted, I'm definitely going to get a Switch, it just won't be for another year when I'm sure there's plenty of amazing games. BoTW is incredible but I am not about to spend that cash for one game. Especially since these days, MUCH to my chagrin, I cannot game nearly as much as I used to...not even close. Even on my off days. But having a handful of awesome games to play would be worth it.

I also kind of what to see where this system goes and what third parties do with it, if anything at all. That's always been Ninty's big issue and I don't see it recessing with this generation.

If it does well it could very well become their new portable platform, though. Portable dev/3ds support would be nice.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3260 on: April 23, 2017, 06:21:25 PM »
I'm definitely rooting for it. I love the 3DS and the games but it'd be great to have a new big win for Ninty.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3261 on: April 23, 2017, 06:40:25 PM »
I'm rooting for it well. I think its cool and innovative. And I like being able to just lay back on the couch and have a hand held console right in front of me.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3262 on: April 24, 2017, 04:37:04 AM »
Al Nintendo has to do is build a powerful box. That's it. They have the franchises and fans. Give us something that can play Smash, Zelda, Mario, and Metroid, while at the same time having the horsepower to play a 100% legitimate version of GTA, Red Dead, and a Gran Turismo equivalent. Until that happens, I'll never buy a Nintendo console. There's not a single game I'd play on the Switch right now.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3263 on: April 27, 2017, 12:14:05 PM »
For anyone that wants a switch, its on amazon right now for $299. You need prime, but I just did a free trial and then was able to buy the switch.

It will also be available at best buy and toys r us tomorrow. and supposedly gamestop got stock yesterday which may already be gone

Now I just have to save some money to buy a game for it  :lol
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 12:27:26 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3264 on: April 27, 2017, 07:38:57 PM »
I'll pass on it for now even though I do want to play Breath of the Wild.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3265 on: April 28, 2017, 02:24:43 AM »
Anyone here play MOBA's?   I played League of Legends quite a bit for a couple of years, then lost interest last year.  I downloaded Heroes of the Storm a couple of nights ago and been enjoying it, more relaxed game than League of Legends, and at the minute a less toxic player base.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3266 on: April 28, 2017, 05:11:27 AM »
I play a lot of Smite. I used to play dota but I just don't have the time for the games any longer.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3267 on: April 28, 2017, 06:13:34 AM »
I play a lot of Smite. I used to play dota but ♪ ♫ I just don't have the time for the games anymore. ♪ ♫
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3268 on: April 28, 2017, 01:49:20 PM »
Finally finished Earthbound. Boy, what a fantastic game, definitely one of my very favorite RPGs now.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3269 on: April 28, 2017, 02:09:23 PM »
Earthbound is amazing. One of my favorites on the SNES

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3270 on: April 28, 2017, 09:06:40 PM »
Started The Last Door. Nice story so far, and interesting pixelated graphics, but gameplay is just lame in the old way point-and-click games where. It's pretty short so I may be able to finish it in a couple of hours.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3271 on: April 29, 2017, 04:24:39 AM »
I loved Gone Home, so I was pretty excited by What remains of Edith finch.

You get to explore this massive house and it has secret passages and stuff. And you get to discover what happened to members of this eccentric family

All the rooms are a reflection of the eccentric family member that lived there

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3272 on: April 29, 2017, 08:00:11 AM »
I loved Everyones gone to the Rapture and Dear Esther so I definitely will check that out.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3273 on: April 29, 2017, 11:26:17 AM »
it's $20 for a 2-3 hour game so i'll pass for now

like i'm sorry but no. i don't pay $20 for short games.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3274 on: April 29, 2017, 11:43:35 AM »
I thought Gone Home was really boring, and what "walking simulators" shouldn't be imo :P

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3275 on: April 30, 2017, 03:50:07 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3276 on: April 30, 2017, 03:55:00 AM »
:tup

Obviously the first game is GTA V, but is the second one SA? I thought that at least had projected hard shadows. :blob:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3277 on: April 30, 2017, 04:01:47 AM »
I'm not sure, I suspect it's a San Andreas mod for GTAV that they just merged together with GTAV to a single game.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3278 on: April 30, 2017, 04:05:50 AM »
The footage looks separate rather than being part of the one mod. Either way, I approve. I've seen the Delorean mod for GTA V before, and it looks quite amazing.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3279 on: April 30, 2017, 04:15:47 AM »
Yea it could be that simple too. Looks cool though.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3280 on: April 30, 2017, 03:44:12 PM »
So, 2 full days with the Nintendo Switch and here are my thoughts:

Overall, I love this thing. This is really a game changer in how I play video games and I am even looking at my PS4 like "wow I wish you were this portable"

First I want to say that it sucks big time for anyone that had issues with the original batch. That blows big time. So far its been ok with mine, but here were my thoughts on the problems and what I've encountered:

1. The flimsy kickstand:  Nintendo goofed with this one and I'm not letting them slide on this one.  It sucks, but i've been able to just be careful and make it work for the most part

2. I have been lucky not to have any Wifi issues or joycon sync issues as of yet, so hopefully it stays that way. With wifi I downloaded 2 games and it was painless and pretty quick.

3. The 3 hour battery life: meh, this doesn't really bother me that much. Despite it being made for portability, this is going be a house console for me, but that being said, I LOVE that I can take it all over the house. One thing I do is always have the wifi turned off if I am not using the internet and I think that helps the battery life a little.

4. Lack of games: correct, there's not that many games out. So far, so good though with games I did get. I've got Fast RMX ($19.99) which was the perfect price and Zelda which is damn good. This I am fine with for the moment. I will pick up Mario kart and the shovel knight collection probably next month.

After that, probably Redout, Minecraft and lego undercover. This if more than enough for me until the Fall/winter when more stuff comes out. And besides that, when the virtual console becomes available, that's gonna make a huge difference. And If indie developers put all their stuff out on this thing as it looks like is happening, I am gonna be very happy. This is a fantastic way to play cool 2D indie games.

5. The overall feel: It took about 30 mins to get used to, but I am totally fine with just using the joycons, whether on the switch or just one in each hand. Its very doable for me. So I probably will skip buying that super overpriced controller for now. The transition from TV, to handheld to table top to multiplayer with each joycon is seemless and feels like magic. Its very cool.

6. The dock scratching the device: I have messed with this quite a bit. I could definitely see this scratching it, but being careful with it, I haven't had any issue.

Today, I Macgyver'ed it and found a permanent solution. I found these felt stickers in a drawer and put two on the dock and the scratching is now a non issue. These things are like pennies, so I am happy with this solution. Quick and easy

Overall, I really like this system a lot and I want to play all my games like this now. Like I mentioned above this feels like a game changer and  I really wish I had this thing back when I was 8-12 years old (instead of my green screen brick gameboy) because my kid head would have exploded. Back in the day I would have taken it everywhere

I would definitely recommend this console. Not as a primary one, but for anyone that already has a PS4, or XBOX1, the switch is a cool addition

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3281 on: April 30, 2017, 09:21:53 PM »
Those stickers look like dust magnets, I'd keep an eye on them because if/when dust starts to be collected by them, the dust may end up scratching the screen. The Switch screen is only plastic (because plastic won't shatter if the console gets dropped) but this makes it more susceptible to scratching compared to a phone or tablet with a glass screen.

The reason for the dock scratching the screen seems to be because the front panel on some docks is actually bent inward, making it a tighter fit. Check if your back/front panels are running parallel or not.

If you're into platformers (since you mentioned Shovel Knight), Blaster Master Zero looks pretty good and I think it's only $10, might be worth adding to your list. :tup

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3282 on: May 01, 2017, 05:07:29 AM »
Anyone here play Factorio? I've had the game for a while and played a few hours when I got it but last night I ended up staying up late and putting 6 hours in. I couldn't stop playing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3283 on: May 01, 2017, 08:01:35 AM »
This weekend I FINALLY won a game of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds.  I was soo excited to get the last two kills and be the lone survivor of 95 people.  I can't stop playing this game, but so glad I finally won after finishing in 2nd so many times.  I did catch it all on video, sadly my MIC was off since I was playing single mode, but I added my commentary:

Battlegrounds Win

And then yesterday we played as a squad with a few friends and we actually won a game there too.  No video of that though, just my tweet of shooting my crossbow while wearing my cross bros shirt (gifted by someone on this forum  ;) )

Short clip of crossbow shooting

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3284 on: May 01, 2017, 08:14:56 AM »
I've heard so much about battlegrounds, I really want to give it a shot.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3285 on: May 01, 2017, 08:23:12 AM »
It's so much fun, highly recommended but only if you are cool with early access.  PlayerUnknown is pretty active on twitter about responding to bugs and releasing weekly updates so that's good, but the game definitely isn't ready and freezes a bunch (very rare during gameplay, but often during game loading or after the game).

However, if you do jump in, let's squad up.  I think it's easier to play the game solo, but more fun with people.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3286 on: May 01, 2017, 08:42:35 AM »
If you looked at my steam library you'd see that early access doesn't bother me lol.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3287 on: May 01, 2017, 08:57:39 AM »
 :lol then I recommend it, I had never played any survivor like games before so this was new to me, but Im addicted.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3288 on: May 01, 2017, 12:22:16 PM »
Looks like I have a purchase to make tonight. I saw your name pop up on my steam last night while I was playing Factorio so now I know what you're playing lol.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3289 on: May 02, 2017, 11:58:01 PM »
Finally got new Wii controllers so soon I'll, once for all, beat Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (got stuck at one of the latest bosses plus my controllers broke and life and college and etc.), but first, gotta finish this mofo:
The Last Door
Season 1 at least.