Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 483720 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #1400 on: August 12, 2015, 01:16:22 AM »
Origins is still really good but it's a lot harder, yeah. about 2/3rds of Origins are in Legends though the levels tend to be toned down a bit.
I think both have good controls but Legends has way better ones no contest, yeah

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1401 on: August 12, 2015, 01:24:37 AM »
Origins is still really good but it's a lot harder, yeah. about 2/3rds of Origins are in Legends though the levels tend to be toned down a bit.
I think both have good controls but Legends has way better ones no contest, yeah

Origins is definitely a lot harder, which I wouldn't have minded at all, but it felt like at least half the time I was dying because the controls weren't doing what I expected, rather than me just doing the wrong action. If it had the controls of Legends, I would have enjoyed the challenge.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1402 on: August 12, 2015, 01:29:57 AM »
ehh, I still think the controls are pretty swell  :lol
didn't have problems with them when i played the game, anywho

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1403 on: August 12, 2015, 01:39:25 AM »
Maybe it's just me then!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1404 on: August 12, 2015, 07:43:20 AM »

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1405 on: August 12, 2015, 07:50:04 AM »
Nice find! Haven't played this one, but picked up the NES sequel a few years back and absolutely loved it! It reminded me of the Adventure of Link, with a bit more RPG elements. The side-scrolling parts were really fun! Capcom made some great games back in the day.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1406 on: August 12, 2015, 08:08:38 AM »
I remember playing that game way back in the day. The sidescrolling bits were alright but the RPG bits were pretty dull.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1407 on: August 12, 2015, 08:13:51 AM »
I remember playing that game way back in the day. The sidescrolling bits were alright but the RPG bits were pretty dull.

I just had a quick watch of a playthrough, and that sounds about right. The sidescrolling levels looked decent, but the RPG bits looked like any other generic game, and there seemed to be a lot of repetitive small sidescrolling levels.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1408 on: August 12, 2015, 08:37:10 AM »
I just had a quick watch of a playthrough, and that sounds about right. The sidescrolling levels looked decent, but the RPG bits looked like any other generic game, and there seemed to be a lot of repetitive small sidescrolling levels.
Yeah, the smaller ones took the place of the random battles typical to RPGs. It had larger levels aswell though with bosses at the end.

It wasn't a great game but I wasn't all that picky back then. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1409 on: August 12, 2015, 08:39:44 AM »
Yeah, the smaller ones took the place of the random battles typical to RPGs. It had larger levels aswell though with bosses at the end.

It wasn't a great game but I wasn't all that picky back then. :lol

Especially when you factor in portability not being what it is now. I've mostly only played the better Gameboy games, as I didn't have or play all that many. It was all Mario/Wario/DKC/Tetris etc for me.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1410 on: August 13, 2015, 05:47:50 AM »
Back then, portable games just meant watered down versions of other games (with some exceptions.) You just accepted that the Game Gear Sonic game was a lot worse than its console counterpart and still enjoyed it for what it was.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1411 on: August 13, 2015, 05:56:45 AM »
Back then, portable games just meant watered down versions of other games (with some exceptions.) You just accepted that the Game Gear Sonic game was a lot worse than its console counterpart and still enjoyed it for what it was.

Actually, Sonic on Game Gear was one of the instances of it being the exact same game, just with a smaller viewable area (same as the Master System Sonics, not the Mega Drive ones). Plus you could get the Master Converter and play all of the exact same games. Game Gear was probably not the best example, since it was the best of the handhelds at the time. :lol

It definitely holds truer for the GB though. The Mario games were all solid, but the fact it took until 1998 for the Gameboy to even have colour was pretty sad, and the CPU/colour/sound were a big limitation on games.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1412 on: August 13, 2015, 06:12:30 AM »
I don't remember being much of a fan of the first Mario Land, but Mario Land 2 was pretty good and Wario Land was great.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1413 on: August 13, 2015, 06:15:25 AM »
It definitely holds truer for the GB though. The Mario games were all solid, but the fact it took until 1998 for the Gameboy to even have colour was pretty sad, and the CPU/colour/sound were a big limitation on games.

I remember playing gameboy color for the first time. It was like a magical doorway into a whole new universe. Super Mario Land is one of the best gameboy games of all time.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1414 on: August 13, 2015, 06:15:51 AM »
I'm not sure if I've properly played SML2, but I thought SML was a pretty good 8 bit Mario game, and I really liked Wario Land, and also the Wario on GBA too. Been a while since I've played any of them though.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1415 on: August 13, 2015, 09:43:24 AM »

Actually, Sonic on Game Gear was one of the instances of it being the exact same game, just with a smaller viewable area (same as the Master System Sonics, not the Mega Drive ones). Plus you could get the Master Converter and play all of the exact same games. Game Gear was probably not the best example, since it was the best of the handhelds at the time. :lol
Lynx was superior to Game Gear in some ways. Game Gear had a better screen, I believe, but the Lynx had stronger tools in its hardware. Having owned both, I think the Lynx had more to show off and was a shame it never got wider game support. If either system could have figured out rechargeable batteries better they would have been more marketable. AC and/or DC adapters were essential for both.

The Lynx also had some really strong arcade ports that matched well with it's console counterparts. Ninja Gaiden III vs NES holds up pretty well, the music and mildly worse graphics were the only major differences.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1416 on: August 13, 2015, 09:58:35 AM »
I had both (still have the Lynx), and overall I'd say they were comparable, but I'd put the GG slightly ahead for the better game library, the slightly better screen, and slightly smaller dimensions. The Lynx had slightly better hardware, but in practice I don't think it made a huge difference to the games they were able to make.

Don't think I forgot about the good old Lynx though! Many hours of my youth were spent playing Toki, Kung Food, Rygar and Batman, and others.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1417 on: August 13, 2015, 12:49:49 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1418 on: August 14, 2015, 10:09:28 AM »
I had both (still have the Lynx), and overall I'd say they were comparable, but I'd put the GG slightly ahead for the better game library, the slightly better screen, and slightly smaller dimensions. The Lynx had slightly better hardware, but in practice I don't think it made a huge difference to the games they were able to make.

Don't think I forgot about the good old Lynx though! Many hours of my youth were spent playing Toki, Kung Food, Rygar and Batman, and others.
Definitely comparable, neither is quite better than the other. Part of the problem for the Lynx was it lacked the same level of support. Warbirds is one of the coolest show off games from early hand helds, and there is a lost project that Songbird finished, Cyber Virus, a FPS game. I can't recall Game Gear doing anything similar to those two. Lynx had solid networking capabilities, not that anyone had much shot at using it since it sold so poorly. ...the Jaguar did, too, for that matter, both the Lynx and Jaguar are pretty awesome to see in large multiplayer setups.

Ever play Todd's Adventure in Slime World? I really want to go back and get that, but never have. Heard it's pretty impressive for a game of that time.

Did you play a Lynx I or a Lynx II? I liked the Lynx I much more, the Lynx II seemed cheaper. Really regret selling off my Lynx and Game Gear collection.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1419 on: August 14, 2015, 10:17:37 AM »

Definitely comparable, neither is quite better than the other. Part of the problem for the Lynx was it lacked the same level of support. Warbirds is one of the coolest show off games from early hand helds, and there is a lost project that Songbird finished, Cyber Virus, a FPS game. I can't recall Game Gear doing anything similar to those two. Lynx had solid networking capabilities, not that anyone had much shot at using it since it sold so poorly. ...the Jaguar did, too, for that matter, both the Lynx and Jaguar are pretty awesome to see in large multiplayer setups.

Ever play Todd's Adventure in Slime World? I really want to go back and get that, but never have. Heard it's pretty impressive for a game of that time.

Did you play a Lynx I or a Lynx II? I liked the Lynx I much more, the Lynx II seemed cheaper. Really regret selling off my Lynx and Game Gear collection.

I had a Lynx II. It was reasonably sturdy (not GB brick sturdy), although I haven't had a chance to compare it to the I. The Lynx I seemed unreasonable wide for a handheld though.

Haven't played any of those games, but I checked them out on Youtube, and they're graphically more Genesis/16 bit level than 8 bit, with the graphical deforming and sprite scaling. The games themselves looked pretty bad though tbh.

And I just remembered I have every single Lynx game on my PC. I should go through them some time and see if I can find some gems.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1420 on: August 14, 2015, 10:24:32 AM »
Warbirds is excellent. It's a true dogfight simulation, not an arcade shooter. Flying well requires some skill and you can link up with multiple other systems.

Cyber Virus makes up for some of its faults by being attractive technically, not great but not bad as a game.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1421 on: August 14, 2015, 10:34:11 AM »
Warbirds looks to have the same problem that all of those early faux-3D games had, that the framerate is so low that it ends up being complete dough to play, like Virtua Racing or Stunt Race FX (which both had the benefit of extra chips in the cart to even manage that much), or Hard Drivin' which was on the Lynx, which has a framerate of about 2.
Nothing beats good old true 2D on a 2D era console!

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1422 on: August 14, 2015, 10:41:34 AM »
Fair, but Warbirds is simple enough that it never bothered me. Being a simulation vs an arcade helped them here, since a biplane really isn't that responsive and a simple forward gun doesn't require twitch response. It's all about understanding how the plane works and making broad maneuvers to get an advantage for the kill. Better framerate would be nice, but the game is designed in way that both gives it a charm and plays away from weaknesses.

Hard Drivin' was annoying on Lynx.

Oh, and Lynx I is a beast, but I always liked it better (had a Lynx II first). Seemed like better sound and the controls were more comfortable. Never used it, but it was cool that you could flip it over and reverse the controls for a left handed person.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1423 on: August 14, 2015, 10:46:20 AM »
You could flip it on the Lynx II as well. I'm a lefty myself, but video games were standardized enough by that point that any left hander learns to play it the same, so it seemed like a useless feature to me. I probably tried it once just for the novelty factor. :lol

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1424 on: August 14, 2015, 10:53:49 AM »
Huh, I thought the Lynx II got rid of that. Seems like it would be awkward.

For 2D games, Shadow of the Beast and Ninja Gaiden (arcade port different from GameGear) are pretty cool on Lynx.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1425 on: August 14, 2015, 11:01:03 AM »
I remember playing Shadow of the Beast on Amiga 500 (and every other system), although I don't actually recall it being a good game. Never tried Ninja Gaiden.
My favourite game on the Lynx would be Toki, which was also on Amiga 500. Great 2D platformer. I'm a platformer guy.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1426 on: August 14, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »
I played Toki, but the Sega Genesis one.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1427 on: August 14, 2015, 12:15:50 PM »
I played Toki, but the Sega Genesis one.

Gameplay-wise they're very similar, although the level layouts were completely different. I personally didn't like the Genesis one much compared to the Lynx one, although that admittedly may just be nostalgia talking.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1428 on: August 14, 2015, 09:09:05 PM »
Just bought the Last of Us Remastered PS4 package today, and also picked up Dragon Age: Inquisitions. Looking forward to setting it up.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1429 on: August 15, 2015, 11:58:06 AM »
Just bought the Last of Us Remastered PS4 package today, and also picked up Dragon Age: Inquisitions. Looking forward to setting it up.

Enjoy! The Last of Us is one of my favorite story games in recent years. For Dragon Age, make sure you don't hang around the Hinterlands for too long, there's tons of side quests that can be distracting but boring after a while. As soon as you're high enough level, move on to the next area and the game really opens up.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1430 on: August 15, 2015, 11:29:01 PM »
Anyone with a PS4 played Everybody's Gone To The Rapture yet? I'm almost finished with it and I find it to be very interesting, beautiful (graphics, score, etc) and unique experience. It's got great atmosphere
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1431 on: August 17, 2015, 04:39:15 PM »
Been playing Subnautica alot lately, very intense and addictive but wouldn't recommend the game to anyone suffering with thalassophobia. The deep abyss is real!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1432 on: August 19, 2015, 05:32:50 PM »
https://games.yahoo.com/news/xbox-one-backwards-compatibility-could-184200876.html

The backwards compatibility intrigues me, and this idea that "hey why not make original xbox games work too" seems cool if it ever comes to fruition.

Offline TL

« Reply #1433 on: August 22, 2015, 11:53:43 AM »
It would definitely be great to see original Xbox compatibility on the Xbox One, and I imagine it's something they'd like to have.

I do remember hearing that there are some hardware quirks of the original Xbox that make it really difficult to properly emulate, and I'm guessing they have a certain standard they'd want to reach before releasing anything publicly. It would take more than just brute force, but I'd imagine they could figure it out. It's likely a matter of how much effort it would take vs how many people they feel would use it.

Offline adace

« Reply #1434 on: August 24, 2015, 12:03:40 AM »
This week marks the start of the absolutely insane gaming season coming up.

Until Dawn, Gears of War Ultimate Edition and Dishonored Definitive Edition all come out this Tuesday! Can't wait!