Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.4  (Read 423676 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: What album are you listening to? v.4
« Reply #6195 on: March 04, 2016, 10:43:02 PM »

Just finished this. I thought it was pretty solid but a couple of the songs sound like they are from a completely different album.

understandable I suppose.  Songs on debut albums are probably written at different times relative to after the band gets established, finds their "sound", and gets into a touring/writing/recording rhythm.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6196 on: March 04, 2016, 10:54:12 PM »

I like it, but it feels... unfinished. Like a collection of excellent ideas that some feel quite undeveloped.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #6197 on: March 04, 2016, 11:01:03 PM »
is it streaming somewhere
New kendrick, yes. Obsidian Kingdom, as far as I know, nope - btw, I think you'll quite like this one.

EDIT: oh, I found an official stream here. Enjoy :P
i didn't even know the first one was a kendrick album  :lol
will listen after i'm done with the album review i'm working on

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6198 on: March 04, 2016, 11:22:59 PM »
will listen after i'm done with the album review i'm working on
What album are you reviewing, mate?  :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6199 on: March 04, 2016, 11:36:00 PM »
the postman syndrome album i got a while back

feel like i'm ready to review it so i'm doing that

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6200 on: March 04, 2016, 11:39:21 PM »
Review it here, on RYM, where? Just curious  :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6201 on: March 05, 2016, 12:06:20 AM »
be curious no more

i'm verbose as heck btw (this should be obvious by my roulette writeups alone, where i broke the words-per-post limit at least 4-5 times), i cut down and basically rewrote the entire thing after doing an initial track-by-track rundown. i might go back and rewrite some more of my track-by-track reviews because those don't feel as effective to me.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6202 on: March 05, 2016, 01:00:59 AM »
this is... not what i expected, though i know it's foolish to "expect" anything from a band like obsidian kingdom  :lol
a lot heavier on the atmosphere this time though, which i dig, we'll see how much i like it after i've given it a good amount of spins whenever i end up getting it

Offline MajorBoobage

« Reply #6203 on: March 05, 2016, 01:23:40 AM »
It seems that they're entering an area of extreme hazard. A zone of some sort. A dangerous one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6204 on: March 05, 2016, 05:23:55 AM »
The Bad Plus - Made Possible
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6205 on: March 05, 2016, 09:49:36 AM »
John Coltrane & Don Cherry - The Avant-Garde
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6206 on: March 05, 2016, 10:07:28 AM »
be curious no more

i'm verbose as heck btw (this should be obvious by my roulette writeups alone, where i broke the words-per-post limit at least 4-5 times), i cut down and basically rewrote the entire thing after doing an initial track-by-track rundown. i might go back and rewrite some more of my track-by-track reviews because those don't feel as effective to me.
Following you now :P

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6207 on: March 05, 2016, 10:25:01 AM »
Today:

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6208 on: March 05, 2016, 10:27:31 AM »
The first Stone Roses album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #6209 on: March 05, 2016, 02:29:50 PM »
Today:

I really feel we have very similar tastes. I love all these albums!! Maybe Pale Communion slightly less than the other three but especially Ghost Reveries and Maps of Non-existent Places, banging albums, plus I know you are a huge Machine Head fan. Out of curiosity are you a fan of Coheed and Cambria?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6210 on: March 05, 2016, 02:49:02 PM »
Actually this was just the second time I had heard Ghost Reveries, I put it on out of curiosity again because it came up on Tomislav's top 50 albums and I remember kinda liking it. It is really good though and it might surpass Pale Communion in my rankings (never used to be huge on growls so getting into popular Opeth stuff has been hard).

C&C is a weird one. I like some songs but the singer really doesn't do it for me overall. To be fair though, I've only heard the two Afterman albums and I don't think they're considered the best anyway.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #6211 on: March 05, 2016, 02:52:33 PM »
C&C is a weird one. I like some songs but the singer really doesn't do it for me overall. To be fair though, I've only heard the two Afterman albums and I don't think they're considered the best anyway.

Listen to Good Apollo I. Now.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #6212 on: March 05, 2016, 02:59:13 PM »
Actually this was just the second time I had heard Ghost Reveries, I put it on out of curiosity again because it came up on Tomislav's top 50 albums and I remember kinda liking it. It is really good though and it might surpass Pale Communion in my rankings (never used to be huge on growls so getting into popular Opeth stuff has been hard).

Oh definitely give Ghost Reveries more listens. It was my gateway Opeth album but it really is quality all the way through. Probably my favourite (But I absolutely love almost all their albums), Akerfeldt's transitions from clean singing to growls are just perfect on this album and the contrasts in the songs are beautiful. I'm surprised you're not a fan of growls with your love for Machine Head, I know Rob more shouts than growls but still??

Coheed are probably my third favourite band of all time but I would honestly put their first 5 albums in my top 50. They are definitely a grower but once they click, if they click, you will be blown away. You should try In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth and Good Apollo I.

The songs that really clicked for me and made me fall in love with this band are Welcome Home, The Light and the Glass and The Suffering. Give them a try.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6213 on: March 05, 2016, 03:42:36 PM »

OK.. Still not crazy about them, but this is definitely way better. I really like Apollo I: The Writing Writer on first listen, and Welcome Home I already knew and liked, but this is solid stuff overall.

Akerfeldt's transitions from clean singing to growls are just perfect on this album and the contrasts in the songs are beautiful. I'm surprised you're not a fan of growls with your love for Machine Head, I know Rob more shouts than growls but still??
That I can agree with, phenomenal job.

Well, about the growls thing, I actually listen to a lot of music that incorporates growls, but I wouldn't say Machine Head is one of them. There's also the difference, like you mentioned, between shouting/really loud voiced singing and low death growling.

I learned from various bands and albums that black metal growls is the thing I have the hardest time digesting, and 9 out of 10 times I don't even bother, it's a shame, because musically this music is beautiful. Stuff like Opeth and BtBaM I can see myself getting used to quite quickly though, but it took a couple of gateway bands and album that I didn't have half a year ago.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6214 on: March 05, 2016, 04:28:20 PM »

OK.. Still not crazy about them, but this is definitely way better. I really like Apollo I: The Writing Writer on first listen, and Welcome Home I already knew and liked, but this is solid stuff overall.
he's wrong anyways, in keeping secrets is their best

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6215 on: March 05, 2016, 05:23:47 PM »
Driver- Countdown

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #6216 on: March 05, 2016, 06:08:23 PM »

I've been listening to this last couple of days. Even after all these years it still amazes me how great this is.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6217 on: March 05, 2016, 07:14:05 PM »
Fates Warning- Darkness in a Different Light

This album gets better and better with each listen.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6218 on: March 06, 2016, 12:07:06 AM »
Ozzy Osbourne- Diary of a Madman

Crimson Glory- Transcendence

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #6219 on: March 06, 2016, 12:16:13 AM »
Ozzy Osbourne- Diary of a Madman

The title track is one of the only Ozzy solo songs I like. It's a killer song.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #6220 on: March 06, 2016, 01:07:09 AM »

I've been listening to this last couple of days. Even after all these years it still amazes me how great this is.

Easily my favourite Death album, it's so incredibly awesome. I'm not a massive death metal fan (mainly the classic bands like Obituary, Morbid Angel, Carcass, At the Gates etc) but this album is like the pinnacle of technical/progressive death metal. Love it!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6221 on: March 06, 2016, 02:09:26 AM »

Even I appreciate how great this album is. Have to be in the mood for it but it's a great album.

DT - TA. Still loving the new one. Hasn't left the car cd changer since it went in.

Pretty Maaids - jump the gun

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6222 on: March 06, 2016, 02:31:47 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #6223 on: March 06, 2016, 02:44:55 AM »
They spelled your name wrong.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #6224 on: March 06, 2016, 02:55:20 AM »

I'm not sure how many people around here are familiar with The Black Mages but they play instrumental rock/metal versions of songs from the Final Fantasy series of computer games (which I know a lot of people will be familiar with).

If you like either the Final Fantasy games or listening to computer game soundtracks in general then I urge you to listen to this band immediately. Their style is very proggy with lots of keyboard (played by original Final Fantasy composer Nobuo Uematsu), they have a great bass sound and they add in lots of killer guitar solos in the same vein as John Petrucci. Basically I consider this band a no brainer for most people on here even if you're not a fan of computer game music as they just play kickass, instrumental heavy prog with lots of keyboard!!

Just give these tracks a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaZOGhESWmg - To Those Who Fight Further (FFVII)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHbYIbleQP8 - Clash on the Big Bridge (FFV)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YNfX1oU2XA - Dancing Mad (FF VI) (This one is very atmospheric and takes a while to build but the pay off is the greatest guitar solo EVER)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zev79FxRjO4 - Force Your Way (FFVIII)

For anyone who is interested Nobuo also went onto to form another similar band called The Earthbound Papas, they play similar stuff, including FF tunes, but also other music from other games Nobuo composed the soundtrack for and some new compositions.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #6225 on: March 06, 2016, 03:10:10 AM »
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #6226 on: March 06, 2016, 04:14:31 AM »
I'm not sure how many people around here are familiar with The Black Mages but they play instrumental rock/metal versions of songs from the Final Fantasy series of computer games (which I know a lot of people will be familiar with).
There's a few fans here, of which I am one. :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6227 on: March 06, 2016, 04:26:43 AM »
Miles Davis - Blue Haze

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6228 on: March 06, 2016, 04:45:11 AM »

Offline The Astonished

« Reply #6229 on: March 06, 2016, 06:05:08 AM »

After years of dismissing this band, I finally was able to get into it. It's unbelievably good, and I don't know why it was so hard to get into them. Cockroach King and Pareidolia are soooo good.
Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!