Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.4  (Read 414629 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: What album are you listening to? v.4
« Reply #700 on: November 09, 2014, 11:22:53 AM »

Me and my list again here. Could you recommend me 3 out the list? (Click the image to see it in larger size)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #701 on: November 09, 2014, 11:29:07 AM »
I found the new Primal Fear to be pretty good, quality stuff for sure. Surely try Nightwish album if you're into this stuff, and my third pick would be Gilmour's solo album, but seeing as you didn't like The Road of Bones by IQ, this one might be a bit boring for you.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #702 on: November 09, 2014, 11:42:14 AM »
Oh, I liked Road of Bones, specially the atmosphere and the production. Thing is, I didn't find enough diversity and songs felt too long imo, but might give it another try later.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #703 on: November 09, 2014, 11:51:01 AM »

Me and my list again here. Could you recommend me 3 out the list? (Click the image to see it in larger size)

Clockwork Angels, at least.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #704 on: November 09, 2014, 11:54:12 AM »
Kimbra
Refused
Beatles
Eisley
The Damned Things
Faith No More
Queens of the Stone Age

for a start at least.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #705 on: November 09, 2014, 02:54:20 PM »

I'm all progged out now.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: November 09, 2014, 03:33:06 PM »
I'll let you know about all those albums Paul - only just starting them now.   I bought that Sun Caged and thought it was awful  :D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #707 on: November 09, 2014, 03:39:34 PM »

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #708 on: November 09, 2014, 03:43:24 PM »

Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
Have a Nice Life - Deathconsciousness
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Iron Maiden - Powerslave

Couldn't limit it to just three this time. :biggrin:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: November 09, 2014, 05:29:37 PM »
Rush- Presto

Iced Earth- Alive in Athens

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #710 on: November 09, 2014, 06:58:07 PM »
Flying Colors - Cosmic Symphony
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: November 09, 2014, 07:21:59 PM »
I found the new Primal Fear to be pretty good, quality stuff for sure. Surely try Nightwish album if you're into this stuff, and my third pick would be Gilmour's solo album, but seeing as you didn't like The Road of Bones by IQ, this one might be a bit boring for you.
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
Have a Nice Life - Deathconsciousness
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Iron Maiden - Powerslave

Couldn't limit it to just three this time. :biggrin:
Clockwork Angels, at least.
Kimbra
Refused
Beatles
Eisley
The Damned Things
Faith No More
Queens of the Stone Age

for a start at least.

You guys are awesome.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #712 on: November 09, 2014, 08:19:41 PM »
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: November 09, 2014, 09:03:24 PM »
Sacul, from your list I would pick Primal Fear, Iron Maiden and Rainbow. The Maiden and Rainbow are classics and that PF is my album of the year.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #714 on: November 10, 2014, 06:51:33 AM »
Transatlantic: Kaleidoscope

Been a little while since I've given this a spin.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #715 on: November 10, 2014, 07:10:43 AM »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #716 on: November 10, 2014, 09:54:11 AM »

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #717 on: November 10, 2014, 10:00:10 AM »

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #718 on: November 10, 2014, 10:06:59 AM »

Now:
Vacant:

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #719 on: November 10, 2014, 10:11:14 AM »
Area 11 - Underline

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: November 10, 2014, 10:44:01 AM »
Temples - Sun Structures

Psychedelic indie rock.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #721 on: November 10, 2014, 03:57:51 PM »

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #722 on: November 11, 2014, 05:37:40 AM »

Happy 11th Anniversary !!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: November 11, 2014, 06:47:02 AM »
Wow Brent, alot of new stuff there. I've been on aroll myself just recently but not got the Age Sten Nilsson Ammunition yet, nor the Crazy Lixx. How are they? And the Nightingale?

Heard good thingsa about the Billy Idol and Spotified it a while ago. Total shite I thought.

Ten is good.

OK..........of the new releases I listed the other day , here are the rankings and a brief comment on each.  As per usual  it was a case of being pleasantly surprised by a few I didn't expect to like all that much and vice versa.

From worst to best.............

Robby Valentine : Bizarro World -  no rating (I don't bother if they don't hit 70%).  :  I was expecting to like this much more than I did.    His early material was a good balance of hard rock and Queen style pomp , but there's very little here that I found rockin' or catchy.  My favourite track was the last - a piano ballad  :-\

Billy Idol: Kings and Queens of the Underground: no rating
:  This will appeal more to the Queens than the Kings if ya know what I mean.  Like Paul I had heard good things about this and got it on that basis.  I've never been a huge fan but really enjoy some of the more rockin material with Mr Stevens.   I won't agree with Paul that it's total shite but it's definitely short a few rockers to say the least.  I think it's all pretty well written but it's just too soft .  I did like a few of the softer tracks but there was just way too many. It might appeal more to those who were into the poppier key based stuff like Eyes Without A Face.   My recommendation?? -  go onto iTunes and buy one track Postcards From The Past which combines the poppy side with a Rebel Yell feel when the guitars kick in.  Really liked that track and it's one of only two where Steve Stevens is prominent.

Aniday: s/t: 70%   Robby Valentine also wrote and played most instruments on this , so perhaps he's spread himself too thin.  It shows here too - the first half is strong and then it tails off badly. Female singer sounds promising too ....a bit of Floor Jansen and a bit of Doro Pesch when she belts it out.

Age Sten Nilsson’s Ammunition: Shanghaied: 71%   All the mr folks will be wetting themselves over this as the Messiah Erik Martensson is writing/playing on it.  Me........I don't get the fuss over Eclipse for the most part and perhaps my fave of his was the Jamison album.   Sounds like an average Wig Wam album with the predictable Martensson on guitar.  Patchy.

Mr Crispy: Baklava 75%   A couple of jokers from Brisbane (Australia) who record instrumentals at home and give them away for nothing on Bandcamp.  This is very competent , well produced but fairly low tech rock instrumental fare that was a pretty decent listen .  Very good value too  ;D    I recorded something similar with a keyboardist/programmer for a project back in the early 90's - only it was much better of course :neverusethis:

In Faith : There's A Storm Coming : 80% We've already discussed this........very solid melodic rock and that rating could easily increase over time.  Very familiar but enough going on to make it better than the average cookie cutter release.

Nightingale: Retribution : 87%   Here's the first pleasant surprise.  I've never been into Swano's heavier bands and the Nightingale "brand" basically involves whatever he feels like doing at the time , so it can vary.   I had heard that this one would appeal to fans of melodic rock and so I gave it a go.   It's not easy to describe but it's very well done.......perhaps atmospheric (dark) melodic rock.  Evergrey goes AOR?   ;D   Not normally my cuppa tea and I think I'd need to be in the mood,  but I really liked it.

Crazy Lixx: s/t : 88%  I was expecting this to be much better than their last (not hard) but nowhere near as good as New Religion and in the end I rate it about the same as New Religion.  Very suprising.  It may not quite have the highs of New Religion but it is just a really consistent and solid album.  If you like New Religion - get it.

Angels or Kings: Kings of Nowhere: 88% Interesting band this one - were known as AOK back in the 80's and reappear now 25+ years later with a new singer and have produced one of the best AOR/melodic rock albums of the last 5 years.  In some ways that's not saying much but I'd only rate H.E.A.T's : Address The Nation as better (off the top of my head).   I'd perhaps compare it to the Find Me album .........if that helps.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #724 on: November 11, 2014, 07:34:47 AM »
Nightingale: Retribution : 87%   Here's the first pleasant surprise.  I've never been into Swano's heavier bands and the Nightingale "brand" basically involves whatever he feels like doing at the time , so it can vary.   I had heard that this one would appeal to fans of melodic rock and so I gave it a go.   It's not easy to describe but it's very well done.......perhaps atmospheric (dark) melodic rock.  Evergrey goes AOR?   ;D   Not normally my cuppa tea and I think I'd need to be in the mood,  but I really liked it.

How are the vocals?  Growlie?  I liked Swano in Star One, but tried a few other Nightingale tunes and though I liked it musically, I didn't dig him vocally.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: November 11, 2014, 07:36:39 AM »

How are the vocals?  Growlie?  I liked Swano in Star One, but tried a few other Nightingale tunes and though I liked it musically, I didn't dig him vocally.

No growls at all.................his clean voice isn't necessarily brilliant but it's different and has some feeling to it...I don't mind it in the context of the music.  In this case his voice suits the music nicely.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #726 on: November 11, 2014, 08:00:48 AM »

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #727 on: November 11, 2014, 08:50:47 AM »
Rush - Vapor Trails
Neurosis - A Sun That Never Sets
Toto - Kingdom of Desire

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #728 on: November 11, 2014, 10:52:19 AM »
Wow Brent, alot of new stuff there. I've been on aroll myself just recently but not got the Age Sten Nilsson Ammunition yet, nor the Crazy Lixx. How are they? And the Nightingale?

Heard good thingsa about the Billy Idol and Spotified it a while ago. Total shite I thought.

Ten is good.

OK..........of the new releases I listed the other day , here are the rankings and a brief comment on each.  As per usual  it was a case of being pleasantly surprised by a few I didn't expect to like all that much and vice versa.

From worst to best.............

Robby Valentine : Bizarro World -  no rating (I don't bother if they don't hit 70%).  :  I was expecting to like this much more than I did.    His early material was a good balance of hard rock and Queen style pomp , but there's very little here that I found rockin' or catchy.  My favourite track was the last - a piano ballad  :-\

Billy Idol: Kings and Queens of the Underground: no rating
:  This will appeal more to the Queens than the Kings if ya know what I mean.  Like Paul I had heard good things about this and got it on that basis.  I've never been a huge fan but really enjoy some of the more rockin material with Mr Stevens.   I won't agree with Paul that it's total shite but it's definitely short a few rockers to say the least.  I think it's all pretty well written but it's just too soft .  I did like a few of the softer tracks but there was just way too many. It might appeal more to those who were into the poppier key based stuff like Eyes Without A Face.   My recommendation?? -  go onto iTunes and buy one track Postcards From The Past which combines the poppy side with a Rebel Yell feel when the guitars kick in.  Really liked that track and it's one of only two where Steve Stevens is prominent.

Aniday: s/t: 70%   Robby Valentine also wrote and played most instruments on this , so perhaps he's spread himself too thin.  It shows here too - the first half is strong and then it tails off badly. Female singer sounds promising too ....a bit of Floor Jansen and a bit of Doro Pesch when she belts it out.

Age Sten Nilsson’s Ammunition: Shanghaied: 71%   All the mr folks will be wetting themselves over this as the Messiah Erik Martensson is writing/playing on it.  Me........I don't get the fuss over Eclipse for the most part and perhaps my fave of his was the Jamison album.   Sounds like an average Wig Wam album with the predictable Martensson on guitar.  Patchy.

Mr Crispy: Baklava 75%   A couple of jokers from Brisbane (Australia) who record instrumentals at home and give them away for nothing on Bandcamp.  This is very competent , well produced but fairly low tech rock instrumental fare that was a pretty decent listen .  Very good value too  ;D    I recorded something similar with a keyboardist/programmer for a project back in the early 90's - only it was much better of course :neverusethis:

In Faith : There's A Storm Coming : 80% We've already discussed this........very solid melodic rock and that rating could easily increase over time.  Very familiar but enough going on to make it better than the average cookie cutter release.

Crazy Lixx: s/t : 88%  I was expecting this to be much better than their last (not hard) but nowhere near as good as New Religion and in the end I rate it about the same as New Religion.  Very suprising.  It may not quite have the highs of New Religion but it is just a really consistent and solid album.  If you like New Religion - get it.

Angels or Kings: Kings of Nowhere: 88% Interesting band this one - were known as AOK back in the 80's and reappear now 25+ years later with a new singer and have produced one of the best AOR/melodic rock albums of the last 5 years.  In some ways that's not saying much but I'd only rate H.E.A.T's : Address The Nation as better (off the top of my head).   I'd perhaps compare it to the Find Me album .........if that helps.

Cheers Brent.

I thought I was being charitable with saying the Billy Idol was shit. It wasn't that it was too soft even, it was just... shit. Some Steve Stevens somewhere would have helped it.

Looking forward to the crazy Lixx. The one track I've heard was very good. Guitars sounded a bit dull, better than the last album but not as good as the shiny guitars of New Religion. Have to wait and see I guess but sounds promising.

I had the Valentine on in the car the other day and thought it sounded decent. A couple of strange tracks in there - one a bit too disco for me - and a typical Queen ragtime jazz style thing... he certainly sees himself as heir to their throne.

Angels Or Kings sounds interesting. Will give that a go.

Nightingale - yeah, hit or miss depending on the style. The gothy Sisters Of Mercy style ones didn't do anything for me.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #729 on: November 11, 2014, 11:37:16 AM »

Nice taste in music dude.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: November 12, 2014, 04:36:06 PM »
Nice taste in music dude.
Thanks m8, I try to listen to new crap everyday, even if it's something weird as post-folkgazed neoclassical bluescore or whatever. Half these albums are from top 50 lists from here, and the other half are records that have more than a 4 on SputnikMusic.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: November 12, 2014, 07:01:24 PM »
Armored Saint- Delirious Nomad

Rush- Roll the Bones

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #732 on: November 13, 2014, 02:21:58 AM »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #733 on: November 13, 2014, 08:31:16 AM »

Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #734 on: November 14, 2014, 08:42:26 AM »

Winger would be better!