Author Topic: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton  (Read 116005 times)

Offline masterthes

Re: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton
« Reply #1330 on: December 26, 2017, 09:15:56 AM »
High marks on the Christmas special. Really great, and I totally called who Gatiss was going to be. Cannot wait to see what Jodie will bring to the table

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1331 on: December 27, 2017, 01:09:38 PM »
Really great sendoff for Capaldi!

Didn't watch the last full series with Capaldi, so i was a little bit lost about Bill and Nardole. Should watch he's last series when i have time..

Really excited about the next doctor, and i agree that she is going to receive some very unfair scrutiny, for all the wrong reasons..

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1332 on: December 27, 2017, 04:11:31 PM »
I wonder how quickly the tardis will reappear, or if we'll have a long stretch of non-tardis episodes (kinda like 3rd doctor had)...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1333 on: December 27, 2017, 09:42:21 PM »
I don't think they'd dare go without the TARDIS that long. It'll probably be like The 11th Hour, where the Doctor will go the entire episode without the TARDIS, but get the new rebuilt TARDIS at the end of the episode, along with the outfit. Unless they kick it off with a double episode, in which case it'll maybe be two.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1334 on: December 28, 2017, 12:12:18 AM »
I’m quite happy with the episode, not as silly as I’m usually afraid that the christmas episode will be. Good send-off for Capaldi.

As for Whittaker, while I don’t necessary think it’s wrong, I’m always a bit annoyed with pc pandering or using popularity of male characters to sort of create an illusion of popularity for the now female character instead of just creating interesting female characters from scratch. That said, she’s here now, I have no other choice but to give it an honest chance which I will of course do. I hope she does great and I’m still looking forward to the new season.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1335 on: December 28, 2017, 10:29:35 AM »
Now that I have had some time to digest the episode, I do have one major criticism. If the Doctor is supposed to originally be from the future, how does he not know what a browser history. I know they wanted to show how progressive the Doctor has become since being the First, but when you take in the larger context, it doesn't make sense.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1336 on: December 28, 2017, 11:22:39 AM »
Yes, and why does an alien being from an insanely advanced culture where people can cross-gender regenerate reflect 1960s human views on gender equality. This show was never really about making sense to me, but it’s fun so it’s okay.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: December 28, 2017, 11:45:23 AM »
Now that I have had some time to digest the episode, I do have one major criticism. If the Doctor is supposed to originally be from the future, how does he not know what a browser history. I know they wanted to show how progressive the Doctor has become since being the First, but when you take in the larger context, it doesn't make sense.

Because it's an Earth concept (at least by name), and he had not spent much time on Earth yet, especially past 1963. He would have been unfamiliar with the term, even if the technology is beneath the Time Lords.

Yes, and why does an alien being from an insanely advanced culture where people can cross-gender regenerate reflect 1960s human views on gender equality. This show was never really about making sense to me, but it’s fun so it’s okay.

The first Doctor wasn't overtly sexist like that, and it wasn't a very accurate portrayal at all. But, it was funny, and it worked for the context of the episode, so I'll excuse it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1338 on: December 30, 2017, 05:43:36 AM »
I've now seen two Doctors regenerate this week. First was of course the 12th Doctor, and I just saw Pertwee's regeneration into Tom Baker. Pertwee's final season seemed much stronger than previous seasons to me, although his final story was a bit weak, as was his death. But it's the first time regeneration is mentioned by name IIRC, so that still makes it notable.

I've only watched the first episode with Tom Baker so far, but he's stolen every scene he's in. From what little I'd seen in the past, I knew I'd like him, but I can already see why he's the favourite of the original series. He's so wacky and fun, and I look forward to finally seeing his era.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1339 on: January 02, 2018, 03:00:51 AM »
Quite liked the Chrimbo special, didn't really have much of a story though.   Sad to see Peter leave, but very much looking forward to seeing what direction they go with with Jodie (kind off thought she'd get more screen time).

I've now seen two Doctors regenerate this week. First was of course the 12th Doctor, and I just saw Pertwee's regeneration into Tom Baker. Pertwee's final season seemed much stronger than previous seasons to me, although his final story was a bit weak, as was his death. But it's the first time regeneration is mentioned by name IIRC, so that still makes it notable.

I've only watched the first episode with Tom Baker so far, but he's stolen every scene he's in. From what little I'd seen in the past, I knew I'd like him, but I can already see why he's the favourite of the original series. He's so wacky and fun, and I look forward to finally seeing his era.

I'm pretty much alone in the opinion Tom Baker is only an average Doctor for me.  I preferred Troughton, Pertwee and Davidson from the original series, and probably all the returning show Doctors more (Eccleston is kind off hard to judge, I'm basing it mostly off his potential, had he continued).   Most of my issues with Tom Baker are due to his later series when he clearly just became lazy.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1340 on: January 02, 2018, 03:14:11 AM »
As many will know, I frequently have different opinions/preferences to the prevailing popularity among fanbases, but I do think Tom Baker is amazing and definitely my favourite of the original series (with Troughton in second place). He brought such energy, humour and dynamism to the character, in my opinion. Some of the writing was also fantastic during that period too, which I think helped a lot.

Oh and the Christmas special was lovely. Really looking forward to what comes next!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1341 on: January 02, 2018, 03:56:49 AM »
Even by the end of Tom Baker's first episode, I preferred him to Pertwee. I loved the 3rd Doctor's character on paper, but Pertwee had limited range and didn't do much for me. I didn't dislike him by any means, but I liked Hartnell and Troughton so much more. It also didn't help that most of the 3rd Doctor's stories were really weak and formulaic, with the exception of his final season, which I felt was a noticeable improvement. Since I'm watching this stuff for the first time, I have no opinion of the later Doctors in the classic series yet.

I'm towards the end of Genesis of the Daleks right now, and I've liked every story so far this season. It took me forever to get through the 3rd Doctor's era, but I'm getting through the 4th much faster, because his energy and charisma make it a lot more enjoyable.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1342 on: January 02, 2018, 04:11:50 AM »
Your reactions are very similar to mine, Blob. I similarly found myself more interested during the Baker seasons and got through them a lot faster.

There isn't one Doctor that I dislike at all, and I like the fact that they're all a little different.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1343 on: January 02, 2018, 04:15:39 AM »
The only Doctor so far I'd say I don't like is Eccelston, and I've still managed to watch those episodes twice. When you've had so many different people play incarnations of the same character over such a long period, it's likely they're not all going to appeal to everyone equally. Still, they've done a great job overall, and I love most Doctors for what they bring to the table.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1344 on: January 02, 2018, 05:26:06 AM »
I get why a lot of people love Tom Baker version of the Doctor.  I think he was great at the start, and the writing was top notch during that period of the end of Pertwee's era till the middle of the Tom Era.   For me he stayed to long and started to phone in his performance, this coupled with the noticeably weaker writing in his last couple of series made for a somewhat sour ending (also his attitude towards the show and character after he left was pretty bitter).   Even though the writing didn't really improve, i much prefer the early Davidson era over the tail end of the Tom era.

There have been a couple of Doctor's I haven't really like and they would be Hartnell and McCoy.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1345 on: May 19, 2018, 08:40:55 PM »
Finally decided to start finishing up classic who. Just watched The Happiness Patrol and Silver Nemesis.

Happiness Patrol was a fun story.

Silver Nemesis was a mess, a fun mess in my opinion but a mess. I read that the Cybermen were tossed in last minute and you can kinda tell. The thing that really held this one together was The Doctor and Ace. They have such good chemistry together and are a lot of fun. Makes me want to check out the audio dramas with those two. I also like how Mccoys doctor was on the darker side. It's a shame that the BBC axed the show as the writing was starting to improve (this story excluded) because I would've loved to see where the seventh doctor would've gone.

The only doctors I'm not huge fans of are Davidson and Tennant. Davidson because his doctor was just kinda bland for me....at least in his run on the show, I've heard he does a far better job in the Big Finish stuff. I love David Tennant and he gave the show his all but I'm just not a fan of RTD as showrunner.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1346 on: May 20, 2018, 12:43:22 AM »
I wasn't a big fan of the RTD era either, but Tennant was always awesome, and S4 was great, so he's still easily one of my favs.

I'm still on The Creature From the Pit. It's been a big improvement with Romana. The Leela era kinda sucked hard, and the 3rd Doctor era was mostly whatever. The Sarah Jane stuff was good with both Doctors though.

Also Mary Tamm is the best looking companion of the classic era. Prove me wrong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1347 on: May 20, 2018, 05:18:08 AM »
She isn't even the best looking Romana. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1348 on: May 20, 2018, 05:22:58 AM »
ariich, please. Romana 2 doesn't even have a fucking chin. :lol

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1349 on: May 20, 2018, 03:26:44 PM »
Ive always been a jo, peri, or teagan person myself lol
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1350 on: May 24, 2018, 12:29:08 PM »
Can't stand Teagan. Got used to Jo during her last season, but really couldn't stand her the first season. Haven't got to Peri yet

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1351 on: May 30, 2018, 07:14:43 AM »
And with Survival I have finally finished all 26 seasons of classic doctor who. It's a shame that the BBC canned it as the show was starting to get really good again. The Seventh Doctor and Ace are now one of my favorite pairings in the show's history.

Also if the seventh doctor hadn't regenerated i get the feeling the time war wouldn't have happened. That's because he would've had the entire thing settled in an afternoon.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1352 on: May 30, 2018, 12:15:29 PM »
A tie in to the Reading thread in General Discussion, but I recently finished The Writer's Tale by Russell T. Davies, which describes his creative process for all of series four. It's quite fascinating, albeit very detailed

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1353 on: August 09, 2018, 07:35:56 PM »
I discovered that Spotify has the first 50 main range entries of the Big Finish audio dramas and decided to check them out. Im now about ten entries in and I'm hooked.

I already liked the sixth doctor more than some people, but I think these may have pushed him near the top of my favorite doctors.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1354 on: September 06, 2018, 12:07:08 PM »
So, Doctor Who is now on Sundays (because British people want to watch dancing instead) and it's premiering October 7

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1355 on: September 06, 2018, 12:54:53 PM »
(because British people want to watch dancing instead)
Pretty much perfect summary. :lol

Makes no difference whatsoever to me, I never watch live TV so I'll likely just watch it on catch up either Sunday night or Monday morning on my commute to work.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1356 on: October 06, 2018, 06:52:08 PM »
It's Jodie's turn tomorrow. Really excited for this. My son and I have been binging Who for the last week and a half to get ready.

Here in the Central Time Zone it will start at 12:45pm. We'll be watching.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1357 on: October 07, 2018, 11:26:48 AM »
I expect it to be full of cringy glass ceiling and other socjus crap but I'm secretly hoping for it to be better as I really didn't enjoy Capaldi's run overall, I think he was wasted with most of the writing he had to work with.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1358 on: October 07, 2018, 01:46:16 PM »
Great episode. The cinematography felt more like Torchwood than Who. Kinda makes sense since Chibnall worked a lot on Torchwood.

They barely made mention that the Doctor was a women. Was practically an afterthought.

Jodie has an infectious energy and I love her delivery. This looks like it will be a fun season.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1359 on: October 07, 2018, 02:12:39 PM »
Yeah that was great. Different but also the same.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1360 on: October 07, 2018, 04:17:00 PM »
I only saw the first few minutes (the game was on in another room). And in the opening scenes I felt like she was channeling Tennant. Not in a bad way. In a way I thought it was brilliant to weave a sense of the familiar into such an iconic moment in Dr Who history.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1361 on: October 07, 2018, 04:43:18 PM »
I only saw the first few minutes (the game was on in another room). And in the opening scenes I felt like she was channeling Tennant. Not in a bad way. In a way I thought it was brilliant to weave a sense of the familiar into such an iconic moment in Dr Who history.

I admit that I was getting a low-level Tennant vibe from her myself. That is definitely not a bad thing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1362 on: October 08, 2018, 12:31:11 AM »
I enjoyed the first episode. The cinematography was excellent, I liked the grounded style, and the Doctor vs Predator storyline. I think Jodie still has some settling in to do, but she's off to a great start. You can't fully judge a Doctor from their regeneration episode though. I liked Capaldi less after his first episode, and now he's one of my favourites.
The new companions are good so far. I think the old dude stole the show for now.
Shame we didn't get the proper intro for this episode, but the new theme at the end was perfect. Very classic.

Still can't wait to see the new TARDIS interior properly. I can't judge based on the leaked pic without lighting etc.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1363 on: October 08, 2018, 12:48:40 AM »
Actually the theme was the only thing I wasn't so keen on. I liked that it's the closest they've done to the classic sound in terms of style, but I'm not a fan of also going with 60s BBC production values for it, especially when the show itself feels very refreshed.

Oh and I enjoyed the cliffhanger. Sounds like maybe they're doing that Classic Who thing of basically unconnected stories, but with regular cliffhangers to set up the next one.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1364 on: October 08, 2018, 12:53:44 AM »
Episode felt pretty standard, but given a new showrunner, a new Doctor, a new composer, and a whole new cast I guess it might take them a bit to find their footing.

Really loving Jodie as the Doctor. Still not a ginger, though.