Author Topic: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton  (Read 117311 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton
« Reply #665 on: September 07, 2015, 12:27:09 PM »
I'm torn between Amy and Clara as my favourite companions, third place is definitely Sarah Jane Smith. She had an excellent chemistry both with Pertwee and with Tom Baker.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #666 on: September 18, 2015, 02:14:21 AM »
I heard the rumour yesterday, but now it's official. Clara is leaving the show.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/2a2689a8-5c52-46af-8e69-2fad42c46da3

While I like Clara as a companion, I'm glad she's leaving now. I don't want her to outstay her welcome like I felt with Amy/Rory by the end, and I am excited at the prospect of Capaldi getting a companion cast specifically for him (assuming he's staying on).
S8 would have been a good time for her to leave because she had the whole arc with Danny Pink, so I'm hoping they have a good departure in mind for her.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #667 on: September 18, 2015, 07:23:06 AM »
Well, I like Clara quite a bit, so I'm glad she doesn't have the wretched Danny Pink as her final story.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #668 on: September 18, 2015, 08:32:24 AM »
Good point. :lol

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #669 on: September 19, 2015, 01:24:16 AM »
I'm glad she's going. I liked her initially but it got old, especially because of Danny. Can't wait for tomorrow! My friend reserved a room at a local pub and we (the local Doctor Who meetup group) will be watching it there, followed by karaoke  :D
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #670 on: September 19, 2015, 02:52:46 AM »
I saw the title of an article on IGN that gave me this info. I cannot for the life of me understand how this isn't considered a major spoiler. I mean, it's a main character leaving the show!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #671 on: September 19, 2015, 04:22:22 AM »
I saw the title of an article on IGN that gave me this info. I cannot for the life of me understand how this isn't considered a major spoiler. I mean, it's a main character leaving the show!
It's an actor leaving one job for another job, which has already been announced. 

The manner of the character's leaving would be the spoiler.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #672 on: September 19, 2015, 08:15:17 PM »
So I really, really liked this episode!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #673 on: September 19, 2015, 08:20:35 PM »
If this episode didn't have Missy it would have been a total disaster. I don't know, I guess I'm just not feeling the "magic" of the show anymore

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #674 on: September 19, 2015, 11:10:50 PM »
An amazing first episode! The episode had me excited from that first reveal of Davros. Missy was even better than last time, and I liked the classic Daleks and use of archival footage.

And the Doctor's party was awesome. :lol

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #675 on: September 20, 2015, 02:09:09 AM »
Yeah, I thought it was an awesome episode. I keep loving Missy more and more!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #676 on: September 20, 2015, 02:25:10 AM »
I just realized watching back that The Doctor actually plays part of Hey Mickey as Missy enters.
I can't figure out what he's playing as he's riding in on the tank. The riff sounds sorta familiar, but I can't place it (right after Eruption). And obviously he plays Pretty Woman when he spots Clara/Missy. Am I missing anything?

(And I'll just ignore that he's in drop D at the start, then is seemingly back in standard tuning when playing Pretty Woman, then magically has a wah pedal :blob: )

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #677 on: September 20, 2015, 02:55:36 AM »
Yeah really cool episode. The reveals of Davros at the beginning and then of Skaro were great.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #678 on: September 20, 2015, 02:57:21 AM »
An amazing first episode! The episode had me excited from that first reveal of Davros.
Yeah seriously, that was brilliant and unexpected. That was one of my favourite series openers.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #679 on: September 20, 2015, 09:32:10 AM »
Looking at this, seems like I don't really feel it because of too many ties to classic Who or something like that. And I'm so damn tired of the Daleks and anything to do with them.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #680 on: September 20, 2015, 10:23:31 AM »
Booo, the Daleks are awesome! And do you mean you think it has too many ties to classic Who for you to enjoy it? Because I am really not schooled in the old stuff but that did not stop me from loving it.

An amazing first episode! The episode had me excited from that first reveal of Davros.
Yeah seriously, that was brilliant and unexpected. That was one of my favourite series openers.

Agreed!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #681 on: September 20, 2015, 12:32:29 PM »
The Doctor shredding Eruption while standing on a tank in the middle ages wearing sunglasses is an image that I never knew I wanted.

What? Oh yeah, great episode too. Loved the opening, that was superbly chilling - the hand mines, damn! - Missy was great and Davros, while hard to understand sometimes, was all around amazing. Loved it.

Though seriously, does ANYBODY think that Clara and Missy are dead? I mean, it's like they weren't even trying to hide their teleportation away, yet some online reviews I've seen treat it as the big mystery.

Looking forward to next week!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #682 on: September 20, 2015, 01:26:54 PM »

Though seriously, does ANYBODY think that Clara and Missy are dead? I mean, it's like they weren't even trying to hide their teleportation away, yet some online reviews I've seen treat it as the big mystery.
I thought the same at the end of the last season. Everyone was going about "did Missy survive?!" and it was bleedin' obvious.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #683 on: September 20, 2015, 01:29:58 PM »
Also, I really loved how this episode managed to perfectly hit the tone of Genesis of the Daleks, one of my (and presumably everyone else's) favourite Dalek stories ever. The beginning especially, but also that short clip of Tom Baker was perfectly placed and really elevated the episode.

I thought the same at the end of the last season. Everyone was going about "did Missy survive?!" and it was bleedin' obvious.

I loved how even the show didn't take that seriously. "Alive. Not dead. Big deal. Moving on." I'm paraphrasing, but you know what I mean. Michelle Gomez is amazing.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #684 on: September 20, 2015, 02:02:59 PM »
My favorite moment of the episode was probably just as the kid revealed who he was. I could really feel the sense of "oh shit, what the hell do you do now?", and could really see that question in Capaldi's eyes when he reacted to that. Also, to leave a little kid like that, even if it was Davros, was a dark thing to do by the Doctor, so that entire scene and the things it accomplished really worked for me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: September 20, 2015, 10:54:07 PM »

It looked like Clara and Missy got legit ripped by the Dalek lasers, unlike Missy last season where she obviously teleported. I think they actually died, and The Doctor will have to change history to bring them back. He won't end up killing kid Davros, but he'll think of some clever alternative way to change the past and stick to his morals.

The Doctor shredding Eruption while standing on a tank in the middle ages wearing sunglasses is an image that I never knew I wanted.

God yes.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #686 on: September 20, 2015, 11:11:28 PM »
Well it was implied that the hand mine things "created" Davros - I think it was The Doctor who at one point posited the question "who created Davros?" after it was mentioned that Davros created the Daleks, and Davros has the same eye on his forehead that the hands have on their palms. So The Doctor is probably there to EXTERMINATE the hands and save Davros from whatever it is they do to him.

Though, I feel this event should be a fixed point in time given how important to history it is.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #687 on: September 20, 2015, 11:41:59 PM »
"Fixed point in time" is just a fancy way of saying "because reasons". :lol But I agree.
I don't see them making any change that removes either the Daleks or Davros from time. Davros will live in some form for any kind of future return.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #688 on: September 21, 2015, 03:08:57 AM »
I thought he meant himself when he said "who created Davros?".

Offline jammindude

« Reply #689 on: September 21, 2015, 12:17:05 PM »
I thought he meant himself when he said "who created Davros?".

This is what I got out of it as well.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #690 on: September 21, 2015, 01:02:49 PM »
A real cracker of an episode!! Sunday can't come soon enough!  ;D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: September 21, 2015, 01:16:58 PM »
Downloaded this from BBC iPlayer.

Gonna watch it soon.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #692 on: September 22, 2015, 09:00:53 AM »
Finally caught up with it last night.

Wow, what an episode!  Missy, and the return of Davros, and the Doctor playing guitar in shades on a tank!

Best season opener I can remember.  Can't wait til next week!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #693 on: September 25, 2015, 01:40:44 PM »
My three least favourite words in fiction :

" To Be Continued "

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: September 25, 2015, 01:42:45 PM »
I just realized watching back that The Doctor actually plays part of Hey Mickey as Missy enters.
I can't figure out what he's playing as he's riding in on the tank. The riff sounds sorta familiar, but I can't place it (right after Eruption). And obviously he plays Pretty Woman when he spots Clara/Missy. Am I missing anything?

(And I'll just ignore that he's in drop D at the start, then is seemingly back in standard tuning when playing Pretty Woman, then magically has a wah pedal :blob: )

Ha i like how Capaldi was like " I'm blatantly not playing this " when it was the shredding part and he's basically flapping his hands all over the neck.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: September 25, 2015, 01:50:51 PM »
Oh wait ;D

I waited so long to watch the first episode that I only have to wait one more day to see the conclusion :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #696 on: September 26, 2015, 02:02:23 AM »
I haven't seen the episode yet, so I skipped some replies above.

Season 8 was hit or miss for me. Some good stuff, some....bad. But I am due for a rewatch, sometimes watching on Netflix can help improve the experience for me.

From what I remember, I didn't like season 8's finale. I hope season 9 is better.

Clara is about due to leave, she had a good run though I didn't care at all for the Danny Pink storyline.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #697 on: September 26, 2015, 02:59:11 PM »
I just watched last week's episode and the one from today. I heard that it was a two-parter so I wanted to wait, I hate cliffhangers where I have to wait another week to see the rest. That was unbelievably good! Loved the story. Fantastic openers! If this is any indication of how good Series 9 will be... well, then I can't wait to see the rest.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: September 26, 2015, 03:03:44 PM »
As I said above - I waited 6 days to watch the first episode for no reason other than motivation. Now i'm glad I did ! :D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: September 26, 2015, 10:24:24 PM »
A good conclusion to the opening episode. As soon as Clara got into the Dalek and couldn't say certain things, you knew that Missy would exploit it and knew there would be an encounter between the Clara Dalek and The Doctor. I wonder if Missy's idea at the end was only to escape, or whether the next time we see her, she'll have taken over the Daleks. I'm down with that.
And I wonder how much regeneration energy was taken from The Doctor to alter/revive that many Daleks? I guess we'll find out in another 50 years when it becomes an issue. :P
Are the glasses a permanent thing now? It reminds me of the 10th Doctor's 3D glasses in Doomsday. I think he still needs a sonic screwdriver though, and they could give him his own unique one now. But the glasses are working for him in a daggy but cool grandpa kind of way.
We knew The Doctor wouldn't kill Davros, but I can't believe I didn't think of killing the hands! That was a nice ending.

The preview for next week didn't look great. I don't like ghost-y stories even when they have some pseudo-sciencey explanation. Hopefully I'm wrong.