Author Topic: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton  (Read 117274 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton
« Reply #385 on: October 18, 2014, 11:30:36 PM »
Having known some street graffiti artists and seen some work around where I live, I can.

It's more to do with the circumstances than the ability to do so. With what they had on hand, the pressure and time limit, and seeming lack of reference, it seemed unbelievable to me.
But I don't want to dwell on it, as it's a pretty minor thing. It's certainly no golden arrow. :lol This would definitely be my favourite episode since Time Heist.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #386 on: October 19, 2014, 02:12:55 AM »
Yeah, I feel ya. One visible can of paint and voila! A perfect door! Still a cool idea though, and I really enjoyed the episode.
I'm still hella confused by this whole Missy thing, but we'll find out.

You should be well used to causality loops by now with Doctor Who! :lol

I know, I know... It just kept bothering me after i watched it  :lol

And yeah, I agree next week's doesn't look great but who knows?
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #387 on: October 19, 2014, 06:49:33 AM »
Flatline and Mummy were both fantastic. I hope Jamie Mathieson writes more for the show.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #388 on: October 19, 2014, 11:11:52 AM »
Really creepy and unsettling. I expect big things next week since it's the last episode before the 2 part finale

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: October 19, 2014, 08:06:06 PM »
I loved this episode.... when his hand comes out of the tardis it did make me think of Evil Dead just for a second.  :smiley:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #390 on: October 19, 2014, 09:07:03 PM »
Awesome episode.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #391 on: October 20, 2014, 08:12:50 AM »
Caught up with the last two episodes.  The Mummy was OK, but Flatline was fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #392 on: October 20, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »
I more or less feel the opposite of what Hef said. I thought Mummy was great, and Flatline was ok. Not bad, it was a perfectly fine DW episode, but not fantastic.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #393 on: October 22, 2014, 11:32:18 AM »
Just watched Flatline. Really great episode! This series has been great so far!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: October 22, 2014, 01:12:05 PM »
I've got Flatline in my iPlayer downloads and haven't got around to watching it yet.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: October 22, 2014, 04:13:38 PM »
...And now I have ! Another great one !

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: October 22, 2014, 04:14:02 PM »
Top 3 so far this series :

1.Listen
2.Mummy On The Orient Express
3.Flatline

Haha. I was going to ask about the psychic paper from Flatline. Then I randomly put on Chris Ecclestone episode End Of The World and he explains it in that. :P
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:07:40 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #397 on: October 23, 2014, 12:14:38 AM »
If I remember rightly, that was when it was first introduced, as a device to explain why the Doctor is able to get into a load of places and situations without supporting characters asking too many questions.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #398 on: October 23, 2014, 08:34:47 AM »
Right, but in this episode it doesn't work on that one guy because his imagination sucks or whatever.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: October 23, 2014, 08:38:42 AM »
I was expecting him to be an alien or something because of that. Only special people should be able to see past the psychic paper dangit!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #400 on: October 23, 2014, 08:39:17 AM »
Yeah, I was hoping for that too. Nope, just a lame-ass  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: October 23, 2014, 08:44:25 AM »
He was also so much of a jerk that I figured something was up, but nope, just a regular old human jerk. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: October 23, 2014, 08:55:55 AM »
RE : the end of the world.

I was surprised the 9th just let Cassandra(?) die. I thought The Doctor didn't let anyone die. Even if they were murderers ?

I'm not familiar with Chris' Doctor that much though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: October 23, 2014, 09:02:16 AM »

I was surprised the 9th just let Cassandra(?) die. I thought The Doctor didn't let anyone die. Even if they were murderers ?

The Doctor doesn't often directly kill anyone/thing, but if it's indirect, and if it's some sort of poetic justice for that person's own evil deeds, then he's allowed it on occasion.
Also, at that point I think they wanted to establish that the 9th was a a more calloused Doctor, harderened by just coming off the Time War, which you find out a bit more about as it goes on.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: October 23, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
I might start watching it from the beginning ( of the RTD era ) - since I really enjoy Capaldi's episodes and I occasionally liked a David Tennant episode.

There's like 7 series to get through though :P

Zoe Wannamaker has a great voice for a villain too !

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #405 on: October 23, 2014, 10:37:18 AM »

thats nothing, he once sent an entire fleet of ice warriors into the sun.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #406 on: October 24, 2014, 07:46:24 AM »
You really should Kotow. It helps to show the effect that Rose had on the 9th. I think you can't just blame regeneration for the personality shift from 9 to 10

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #407 on: October 25, 2014, 08:51:30 PM »
About the only comment I have to make about this week's is the people who try to apply science to Doctor Who are going to flip their wigs over this one.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: October 25, 2014, 09:49:37 PM »
About the only comment I have to make about this week's is the people who try to apply science to Doctor Who are going to flip their wigs over this one.  :lol

GOD.

That was possibly even worse than Kill the Moon. You can't just make up silly crap about Earth like that and have it work at all. Forests growing over everything overnight (and everything apparently disappearing to nothing more than the occasional lawn chair and fence, and even covering the entire ocean, and where the hell were the people?), and then have this giant solar flare directed right at Earth and be saved by flameproof trees, and the trees magically save Earth and disappear to nothing and have caused no damage to ANYTHING.
On top of that, the one girl who can somehow tell what's happening just happens to be in Clara's class, and just happens to be with Clara and Danny at the time on an overnight excursion. And yet again something bad happens right at Clara's time and place. Think about it, a lot of bad shit just happens to occur right around her.
And Danny saving them from a tiger with a flashlight (you brought a bunch of kids right up to a tiger?). And there were just too many kids in the episode.

And yet again, The Doctor had no damn clue what was happening and didn't know this had happened before, and humanity were just going to forget that a giant forest appeared and disappeared overnight, in the age of the internet where even the kids were taking selfies to document it all. That is the lamest cop-out reasoning.

We didn't need another episode of The Doctor being clueless, helping them to do nothing, and everything magically sorting itself out and being beyond bizarre and believable. We also didn't need another episode on Earth, in London, in the present day, that centers around Clara's school. Enough of Clara and Danny's small world already. There's an entire universe of time and space out there to explore!

Kill the Moon, Robot of Sherwood, and this week's episode were easily the worst of the season, with the rest being great. At least the finale is looking amazing, so I can't wait for that. If the finale is as good as I hope, it should really round out this season nicely.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:58:59 PM by BlobVanDam »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #409 on: October 25, 2014, 10:19:40 PM »
Ok, this was a really stupid episode :lol Something has been going wrong with DW since that first break and after the end of the Ponds. There's something missing from the show that only very occasionally shows up in episodes like Listen and Hide. I also miss the semi-secret existence of this - aliens, disasters, attacks, etc. And just about half of London knows and has been in the Tardis.

Not even going to comment on the plot. They must have smoked a lot of trees.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: October 26, 2014, 03:39:15 AM »
I just watched the episode again, and I realized another thing that made the episode so weak. It spent all of its time focusing on kids, and The Doctor was ultimately useless to the story.

They wasted a lot of time developing backstories for all of these kids, missing sister, allergies, anger issues, pointless flashbacks only to show character personalities that didn't aid the story. The young girl was made important to hear the little glowy things to figure out the story. Then it clicked. This episode was written by a kid's writer, written to appeal to kids.
The one tiny thing The Doctor was going to do to help the story, and he let the kids do it out of the kindness of his heart. But even that was a waste of The Doctor. There was no evidence that what the humans were doing to the trees was going to stop it from working. The entire planet was covered, including the oceans.

Between that, and more Clara/Danny stuff, there wasn't much time left for The Doctor to take the spotlight.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:44:45 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #411 on: October 26, 2014, 05:25:37 AM »
This was clearly an episode for the kids, as we've had a lot more adult-focussed stories this season. It was alright, some very nice ideas, but overall a little childish and easily the weakest of the season for me.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: October 26, 2014, 05:37:07 AM »
I think that's also what made it stick out a bit too, because Capaldi has been a darker Doctor, and it has been a darker season. It seems like odd placement for an episode like that, just as Robot of Sherwood seemed like an odd placement for that one.

I couldn't be more excited for the upcoming two parter though. I haven't been more excited for any episode this season.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #413 on: October 26, 2014, 06:08:55 AM »
I've been avoiding this thread for fear of major spoilers as I've only recently started watching this show. But, I had to ask about something. Earlier I watched the premiere episode of season five, and...I didn't like it. At all. I'd even go so far as to call it "fucking terrible". :lol

It was too silly (Amelia cooking all that stuff for him especially, and the library pool, among other things), I thought the humour was too silly and slapstick, and it missed the mark with me completely. Even the music was bad, going back and forth between cliched over-dramatic and annoyingly comical. The tone of the episode was a bit strange to be honest, though I'm not sure how to pinpoint why I feel that way about it. It's ridiculous, but seems to be taking itself too seriously at the same time, and it didn't work. The pacing seemed pretty slow too, every scene felt like it took a long time for very little to happen.

I was paying attention and was actually looking forward to season five because I knew Moffat was taking over as showrunner and he wrote two of my favourite episodes of the show so far (Blink and The Girl in the Fireplace). But this premiere was disappointing in almost every possible way (I liked the more sophisticated camera work, and Amy Pond is really hot).

So...is this episode indicative of what the show is going to be from this point onward? I'm probably going to struggle to remain interested if this is what it's going to be like. Or does it get better?

Am I overreacting? Probably. :\

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: October 26, 2014, 06:13:06 AM »
WTF? The Eleventh Hour is a great episode and a strong introduction to the 11th Doctor, and that's where I'd start when showing someone new Who.
I love the music too. The music got noticeably better once Moffat took over imo, even though it's the same guy composing.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #415 on: October 26, 2014, 06:19:33 AM »
Well...that's not what I was expecting. :rollin If I had started with this episode, I probably wouldn't be watching the show at all. Though admittedly, I almost gave up on it after The End of the World (the trampoline woman being a big part of that), but am glad I stuck it out. I do intend to watch some more episodes this week, I'm not giving up. But I just had to ask because I really didn't like The Eleventh Hour.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: October 26, 2014, 06:22:54 AM »
My only suggestion is that you're broken and should give up on enjoying good things.

The Eleventh Hour was a huge breath of fresh air to me after the RTD era, like the entire show just took a giant leap in quality all around. Loved every minute of it.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #417 on: October 26, 2014, 06:27:26 AM »
It had the opposite effect on me: After watching it, I'm dreading what the show might become. :( I have little confidence at this point and you're not helping. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: October 26, 2014, 06:39:00 AM »
I ONLY HELP THOSE WHO HELP THEMSELVES!

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #419 on: October 26, 2014, 06:40:47 AM »
I must admit, Eleventh Hour made me uncertain as well, but Beast Below should hook you in.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.