Author Topic: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton  (Read 117367 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton
« Reply #1435 on: November 25, 2023, 02:32:29 PM »
Just finished watching the first special. I could watch Tennant be the Doctor until the end of time.

Pretty sure the writing crew is entirely different since Davies is back. This felt like a Tennant episode right out of the Tennant/Davies era. Just fantastic.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1436 on: November 25, 2023, 03:23:09 PM »
Cheesy as hell but a ton of fun.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1437 on: November 25, 2023, 03:38:04 PM »
Great fun. And looked fantastic. The interior of the TARDIS is beautiful. Very much reminded me of the era when I watched it as a kid (Baker/Davidson). White, hexagonal centre console with perspex thingy.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1438 on: November 25, 2023, 05:11:03 PM »
It looks like old seasons will not be on Disney+. Boo.

Seems like to catch up I have to buy them on Amazon.

I've been doing a run through from Season 1 with Eccleston on HBO. I think I would rank these modern day doctors/series:

Tennant - I think I most prefer companion Donna episodes
Smith - the entire River Song stuff is great, huge story arcs and touching moments
Eccleston - solid story arc, Rose is great
Whittaker - She's very likable, but the show is even more preachy and repetitive. Oh another Dalek or Cybermen episode.... again....
Capaldi - So hard to watch. Once the Impossible Girl stuff was over with Clara, it was a mess

I have only seen doctors 9-11, and the pilot for 12.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1439 on: November 25, 2023, 06:10:01 PM »
Despite the writing flaws, Capaldi himself was often a joy to watch. His demeanor felt more like a classic doctor than anyone else, and his performance and interaction with Alex Kingston in the final River Song episode was absolutely incredible.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1440 on: November 27, 2023, 11:50:04 AM »
Despite the writing flaws, Capaldi himself was often a joy to watch. His demeanor felt more like a classic doctor than anyone else, and his performance and interaction with Alex Kingston in the final River Song episode was absolutely incredible.

I warmed up to Capaldi as time went on.  It has been said that Capaldi and Moffat had discussed Capaldi's Doctor being more of a grumpy Doctor.  So, the writers wrote him that way, but then Capaldi added extra grumpiness on top of that.  So, they ended up with a more cantankerous personality than intended.  The edges get filed off as he goes along.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1441 on: November 27, 2023, 12:04:37 PM »
I loved Capaldi as the Doctor.

I know that this new stuff is going to be on Disney+, but isn't the old stuff still on MAX?  Not the really old stuff, but from Eccleston - on.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1442 on: November 27, 2023, 05:03:16 PM »

I warmed up to Capaldi as time went on.  It has been said that Capaldi and Moffat had discussed Capaldi's Doctor being more of a grumpy Doctor.  So, the writers wrote him that way, but then Capaldi added extra grumpiness on top of that.  So, they ended up with a more cantankerous personality than intended.  The edges get filed off as he goes along.

I don’t know, riding in on a tank, playing a guitar, while wearing shades seemed exactly the opposite of cantankerous to me

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1443 on: November 27, 2023, 06:27:23 PM »
Holy hell that Flux series was awful.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1444 on: November 28, 2023, 07:46:14 AM »
I know that this new stuff is going to be on Disney+, but isn't the old stuff still on MAX?  Not the really old stuff, but from Eccleston - on.
I checked last night.  The answer is yes, it's still on MAX.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1445 on: November 28, 2023, 01:28:15 PM »

I don’t know, riding in on a tank, playing a guitar, while wearing shades seemed exactly the opposite of cantankerous to me

That sort of reinforces my point, as that happened in his second season, after he and the writers got on the same page.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1446 on: November 28, 2023, 01:55:37 PM »
Man, we missed out. Davies said he was willing to ride with the Doctor Donna as long as those two wanted. He said if they committed to 12 episodes, he would've done 12 with them. Sadly, they only committed to the 3 we're getting. Better than nothing, but oh what could have been.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1447 on: December 09, 2023, 04:34:32 PM »
Wow, so no spoilers, but was not expecting what we got in The Giggle. Davies really has brought the camp back to the show. Very interested in the future now.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1448 on: December 12, 2023, 06:33:47 AM »
I did not enjoy that, not one bit. It felt totally off for me. Didn't hate it, just didn't click with me on any level.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1449 on: December 12, 2023, 07:09:23 AM »
Wow, so no spoilers, but was not expecting what we got in The Giggle. Davies really has brought the camp back to the show. Very interested in the future now.

Totally agree. That was the best of the 3 specials for me.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1450 on: December 13, 2023, 08:19:35 AM »
Was just "fine" for me. My least favourite of the three. Nice to see Bonnie Langford again (despite the McCoy era driving Who into the ground break in the day).

Liked Doogie Howser's camp baddie and the new camp Doctor very much.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.