Author Topic: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton  (Read 116014 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton
« Reply #1155 on: April 16, 2017, 08:01:12 AM »
Why is BBC America showing a canceled series? Is it just something to fill the time slot until they get something new or are they hoping to revive it for the American audience

What are you talking about?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1156 on: April 16, 2017, 09:01:32 AM »
I thought Class was cancelled, but I guess they're airing it on America to try to get a more worldwide audience interested 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1157 on: April 16, 2017, 09:13:27 AM »
Sorry, I wasn't familiar with BBC America's schedule. :)
It seems Moffat recently said it's not decided yet, so maybe they're hoping for greater interest internationally, but if that's the case, I don't like their chances. It actually wasn't too bad a show overall, and I wouldn't mind seeing another season. If not, I'm not particularly bummed about it.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1158 on: April 16, 2017, 02:47:20 PM »
The episode was a bit weird, but ultimately fun and a perfectly fine DW episode. Like Blob said, it felt mostly like an introduction to Bill, and in that regard I think it did pretty good. I like her, she seems like a fun character.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1159 on: April 16, 2017, 04:33:56 PM »
It exceeded my expectations, which admittedly were low but I enjoyed it quite a bit, even though it felt a little bit too familiar or predictive.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1160 on: April 16, 2017, 07:46:19 PM »
Came for fun, lighthearted, campy sci-fi. Got really bad PG horror. Oh well, at least Moffat is gone soon.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1161 on: April 18, 2017, 01:18:52 AM »
I really enjoyed it.  I wasn't expecting much based on the trailers, but I instantly took a liking to Bill.

I have this theory, why would they ruin the surprise of John Simm back as the master in the trailer?  Unless it's a red herring.....How about instead of John Simm coming back as the master, he is in fact the next Doctor.  (P C has already confirmed he's shot his regeneration scene, so It will be part of this series rather than the Chrimbo special).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1162 on: April 18, 2017, 01:25:06 AM »
I don't think there's any trick, Doctor Who is usually quite up front about revealing these things themselves, unless there's a specific reason to keep the surprise. Apparently he's appearing as The Master in the same episode as Missy, so I think we're just going to get a cool multi Master story, that may act as closure for Simm to regenerate into Missy, since that was never explained.

Whoa, now that I think about it, Simm's Master was stuck at the end of the time war. Capaldi's first on screen appearance was technically in Day of the Doctor helping the other Doctors end the time war. Maybe we're finally going to see how Capaldi got involved in Day of the Doctor (which I've been waiting for since day 1), and see how Simm escaped the time war and became Missy. Kill two birds with one stone in a big send off for Capaldi. The brief shot of Simm in the trailer definitely appears to be the time war, so it makes sense. The last we saw of Missy, she was aligned with the Daleks. She could also be involved in the time war.

Also, I don't know if a new Doctor has even been cast yet, but I get the feeling we won't see Capaldi's full regeneration until the Christmas special. I think the 12th episode will end with the regeneration process just starting.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:33:58 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1163 on: April 18, 2017, 01:51:59 AM »
I don't think there's any trick, Doctor Who is usually quite up front about revealing these things themselves, unless there's a specific reason to keep the surprise. Apparently he's appearing as The Master in the same episode as Missy, so I think we're just going to get a cool multi Master story, that may act as closure for Simm to regenerate into Missy, since that was never explained.

Whoa, now that I think about it, Simm's Master was stuck at the end of the time war. Capaldi's first on screen appearance was technically in Day of the Doctor helping the other Doctors end the time war. Maybe we're finally going to see how Capaldi got involved in Day of the Doctor (which I've been waiting for since day 1), and see how Simm escaped the time war and became Missy. Kill two birds with one stone in a big send off for Capaldi. The brief shot of Simm in the trailer definitely appears to be the time war, so it makes sense. The last we saw of Missy, she was aligned with the Daleks. She could also be involved in the time war.

Also, I don't know if a new Doctor has even been cast yet, but I get the feeling we won't see Capaldi's full regeneration until the Christmas special. I think the 12th episode will end with the regeneration process just starting.

There were a lot of papers in the UK this weekend saying Kris Marshall is the new Doctor and has already shot the regeneration scene.  I'd be OK with Kris, I think he'd be maybe a tad safe option - but he could play a more earnest Doctor like Peter Davidson quite well.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1164 on: April 18, 2017, 01:57:36 AM »
I don't put any stock in that at this point. Kris Marshall has been one of the rumoured names since the start, so it obviously wouldn't surprise me one bit, but I'm not taking it as anything more than rumour until anything is confirmed either.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1165 on: April 18, 2017, 02:22:47 AM »
I don't put any stock in that at this point. Kris Marshall has been one of the rumoured names since the start, so it obviously wouldn't surprise me one bit, but I'm not taking it as anything more than rumour until anything is confirmed either.

Yeah I agree.  There is always tons of rumours regarding a new Doctor, I remember with horror the time it was going to be Russel Brand (turned out to be Matt Smith, thank God).

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1166 on: April 18, 2017, 02:25:31 AM »

My timey-wimey theory (which I'm sure others have suggested but I haven't seen it) is that it's Missy who kills the Master in order for him to regenerate into Missy. There would be something so perfectly Moffat about that. :lol

Anyway very strong season opener, I like Bill a lot so far! And it nicely set up some story arc stuff with the vault without going too overboard on it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1167 on: April 18, 2017, 02:34:41 AM »
Anyway very strong season opener, I like Bill a lot so far! And it nicely set up some story arc stuff with the vault without going too overboard on it.

Yeah, they only just touched on that, and it was enough for now. They'll probably easily be able to add bits and pieces to that over the season given the proximity to Bill on Earth.
I also had a silly theory, curious if there would be any more to the spaceship that left behind that puddle in the episode. It's probably just self contained and was trivial to the story, but I couldn't help but wonder if there was any connection to the Waters of Mars and the Ice Warriors? The voice from the puddle sounded Ice Warrior-y to me, and we know they appear this season. I'm probably way overthinking that to find a connection though. :lol

I wouldn't be surprised if Missy kills the Master. If The Master was killed by Missy, she should already know that's how it happened, and it would be fulfilling causality. And I can't imagine a personality such as the Master/Missy wanting to share their power, even with himself/herself.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1168 on: April 18, 2017, 02:43:19 AM »
The voice from the puddle sounded Ice Warrior-y to me
I dunno, not enough of a horrible lisp.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1169 on: April 18, 2017, 02:47:16 AM »
I don't think the voice was quite as lispy in Cold War either, was it? I don't know, it's not one I really rewatch. Anyway, it was just a thought. It was probably nothing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1170 on: April 22, 2017, 11:38:46 PM »
Great episode, and Bill was even better in this one. I thought her character would be annoying with all of the constant questions, but I find her awareness amusing, and I'm relieved Nardole is only being used as much as necessary for the story arc. The Doctor and Bill carried 2/3 of the episode on their own with no problem. The resolution of the episode was a bit light for me, but not a huge deal. The museum they used for the location was beautiful. The whole episode looked amazing.
Does the ending indicate a temporary return to random traveling in the TARDISas part of the arc or just a one off?

And I just realized this episode was written by the same guy who wrote In The Forest Of The Night. At least he was able to slightly redeem himself for that atrocity. :lol
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 05:14:48 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1171 on: April 23, 2017, 02:51:50 PM »
"Is there food sexism in the future, too?" I hate how I so easily notice shit like that nowadays.
It was an enjoyable episode again although I could have used a few more characters in the mix. Also, wasn't quite sold on her character's reaction when watching through that history book.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1172 on: April 23, 2017, 03:29:31 PM »
That episode was MUCH BETTER than the first, thankfully.

Offline bundy

« Reply #1173 on: April 24, 2017, 05:44:57 AM »
. The museum they used for the location was beautiful. The whole episode looked amazing.

This. Visually, it was a stunning episode. Apart from that it didn't do much for me. Didn't dislike it, just left me feeling pretty ambivilent. Unlike most fans, I'm also finding Bill very annoying and can't warm to the character at all.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1174 on: April 24, 2017, 05:46:27 AM »
I really thought I was going to find her annoying, at least this early on, but luckily I'm finding she adds a fun element of awareness to the mix. I can understand how her approach isn't to everyone's taste though.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1175 on: April 24, 2017, 06:33:33 AM »
Yeah I'm liking Bill a lot. Another good episode!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1176 on: April 24, 2017, 06:50:31 AM »
So, the Doctor doesn't remember Clara at all or what? I'm not remembering a lot from the past seasons anymore since I didn't enjoy them as much but is him being "Stuck" on Earth a reference to something I should remember?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1177 on: April 24, 2017, 02:18:54 PM »
It'll probably be addressed midway through the season. Sounds like something happened between Doctor Mysterio and The Pilot

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1178 on: April 25, 2017, 02:25:55 AM »
Wasn't so keen on episode 2.  It was OK but the pacing felt off, took a long time to get going then ended with a quick way to easy resolution.  The interaction between the Doctor and Bill saved the episode for me.  If only Capaldi had got Bill for his first two series instead of the smug Clara his era could have been epic.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1179 on: April 25, 2017, 03:46:16 AM »
took a long time to get going then ended with a quick way to easy resolution.
That can be said about lots of episodes in the last few seasons I think, which to me is part of why I've enjoyed it less.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1180 on: April 29, 2017, 11:14:10 PM »
Another solid enjoyable episode. I'm glad they didn't ignore the race issue, and I liked the Jesus quip. :lol

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1181 on: April 30, 2017, 01:22:59 AM »
Could have gone without the "whitewash" comment but no big deal, the thing that kind of got on my nerves was how fast Bill would go and try to judge the Doctor about not being upset and that he's lost count of how many people he's seen dying. While I understand how one might think this is cold to do, to go on the offensive at him like that, especially when they are not that close yet looked quite obnoxious.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1182 on: April 30, 2017, 02:15:47 AM »
I think the purpose of that was to contrast their characters and show how he needs that human balance for perspective. And from The Pilot, I also got the impression they got to know each other as teacher/student over a decent amount of time, with Christmas and everything.
There were moments when I felt the Doctor acted a little out of character, but overall I felt this was a good episode for The Doctor and Bill.

It's a shame there weren't four knocks on the door at the end, amirite? :neverusethis:

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1183 on: April 30, 2017, 01:56:13 PM »
Probably my favorite episode from this season so far. The Doctor was very funny here, and in a pretty natural way too.

It's a shame there weren't four knocks on the door at the end, amirite? :neverusethis:

My first thought when it happened too. Wasn't really paying attention just when that happened so I had to go back to see how many there were that first time.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: May 07, 2017, 03:43:33 AM »
This episode was enjoyable, although the story doesn't hold up with any thought. Probably my least favourite episode of the season so far, but still not bad.
This season has been quite low key so far and focused a lot on Bill, with only the mystery of the vault to really drive it forward. The Doctor has felt kind of secondary for most of the season imo. I have a feeling the back end of the season is going to be very loaded, and I can't wait for the stuff with the Cybermen and the Master/Missy and likely Time War.

Back to the vault, what do you think is going on there? The Master/Missy somehow?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:04:23 AM by BlobVanDam »

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1185 on: May 07, 2017, 07:51:46 AM »
I liked the episode until suddenly everyone who "died" were back and everyone was fine. That sort of undermined the whole thing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1186 on: May 07, 2017, 07:57:24 AM »
They killed a kid last week, so I'll call it even. :lol And they killed several people at the start of Smile.
But yeah, I sorta felt the same way. It didn't bother me too much though, as they do that more often than not in Doctor Who. They like to keep it family friendly or whatever.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1187 on: May 07, 2017, 02:04:07 PM »
I'm gonna have to wait til this series is on Netflix. Every other season since Chris Ecclestone is so ...

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1188 on: May 07, 2017, 02:13:05 PM »
They killed a kid last week, so I'll call it even. :lol

That's true, I forgot about that. That was pretty dark.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1189 on: May 08, 2017, 12:45:53 AM »
I'm gonna have to wait til this series is on Netflix. Every other season since Chris Ecclestone is so ...
nope, they haven't been in over a year. They are on amazon prime though, I believe all nine season