Author Topic: Lonely Hearts Club Thread v. The Strong Grip  (Read 279426 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lonely Hearts Club Thread v. The Strong Grip
« Reply #2800 on: October 13, 2016, 09:07:27 AM »
To be fair, I categorize myself as a "social drinker" and ring up hefty bar tabs. By "social", I simply mean I don't do it alone  :lol. Though, Victoria was out of town last weekend and it was just me, a 12 pack, some homemade mac & cheese, and GTA Online, and I have to admit, I really enjoyed the evening.

:lol sounds like a fun evening to me as well

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2801 on: October 13, 2016, 09:12:19 AM »
Indeed. Also has me looking forward to the tray of mac & cheese I'm making on Saturday.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2802 on: October 13, 2016, 09:23:23 AM »
Indeed. Also has me looking forward to the tray of mac & cheese I'm making on Saturday.

Sorry, but I'm derailing this thread for a second.

1) Favorite shape to use?
2) Cheese combination/recipe?
3) Traditional boil/strain/cheese application or slow cooked crock pot method?

These are important questions that I need answered.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2803 on: October 13, 2016, 10:41:29 AM »
For me, the gruyere-Pecorino romano-sharp cheddar combo is where it's at.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2804 on: October 13, 2016, 10:47:27 AM »

1) I stick with the classic elbows
2) I usually go with mostly sharp cheddar, cut with some pecorino romano
3) Traditional

I also think I'm going to cook up and dice a pound of bacon to mix in this time.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2805 on: October 13, 2016, 10:52:32 AM »

3) Traditional

I also think I'm going to cook up and dice a pound of bacon to mix in this time.

Nice. Any kind of base (velveeta block) for the cheese, or do you go 100% real cheese?

For me, Cellantani shape is where it's at.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2806 on: October 13, 2016, 11:23:08 AM »

3) Traditional

Nice. Any kind of base (velveeta block) for the cheese, or do you go 100% real cheese?

For me, Cellantani shape is where it's at.

All real cheese. I basically follow this recipe, though with a little bit more cayenne

https://www.marthastewart.com/271998/perfect-macaroni-and-cheese
Photobucket sucks.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2807 on: October 13, 2016, 11:29:27 AM »
Thanks!

Okay, let's re-rail this train.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2808 on: October 13, 2016, 11:33:37 AM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2809 on: October 13, 2016, 12:39:22 PM »
How appropo that a "Lonely Hearts..." thread has recipes!  Yay!

Seriously, when I got divorced I vowed to teach myself how to cook.  I only succeeded in teaching myself that it is a SHIT TON harder than it looks to Beat Bobby Flay.

For any cheese recipe, you have to try piave or grana padana in place of where you would use a parmesan and without question please try prima donna where you would use a cheddar; sweeter and creamier than cheddar but a wonderful pleasant, smooth taste (though hard to find in the northeast except in specialty cheese stores). 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2810 on: October 13, 2016, 12:42:32 PM »

Seriously, when I got divorced I vowed to teach myself how to cook.

Oddly enough, i cook more in a relationship. By myself, I just do whatever is quick and easy. But when it's for other people, I go all out. The last meal I made for my ex girlfriend before we broke was home made gnocchi with homemade sauce, baked with a ton of cheese. Also with fresh bread from scratch. But alone? I'll just throw some spaghetti in a pot and call it a day.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2811 on: October 13, 2016, 12:47:51 PM »
I'm no chef, but I've tried to cook meals for myself a lot more since my break up and got to say that girls are usually very impressed with a single guy who cooks himself a nice meal.  If I actually do make myself a nice meal and send a pic to a girl, it usually gets a positive response.  Definitely one of my hooks for getting a girl interested in me.  I've also done cooking dates in the past which have always been successful.  We should get a list of recipes that are going to get you laid  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2812 on: October 13, 2016, 01:02:56 PM »

Oddly enough, i cook more in a relationship. By myself, I just do whatever is quick and easy. But when it's for other people, I go all out. The last meal I made for my ex girlfriend before we broke was home made gnocchi with homemade sauce, baked with a ton of cheese. Also with fresh bread from scratch. But alone? I'll just throw some spaghetti in a pot and call it a day.

And I'm the same, but I had my daughter half the time (she's off at boarding school now) so I was usually by default cooking for someone else (and no surprise, my greatest success was a version of Shepherd's Pie made to her specification, and now that I am married, my greatest success are burgers that my extremely picky 8-eight-year old stepson raves about). 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2813 on: October 13, 2016, 01:09:28 PM »
This is all you need. Seriously. It's so easy it's laughable. I got the book below and there's all kinds of awesomeness within. It's great if you set it up on a timer. Leave all the stuff in it when I leave for work. It'll start doing it's thing in the late morning. Come dinner time, everything it good to go. My favorite part about it is that there's not a million dishes, pans, stovetops, and counters to clean. I just throw that heavy thing from the crock pot in the dishwasher and call it a night.

Don't get me wrong. I love cooking. But I did catering for eight years and have cooked a lifetime's worth of food. On the weekends I like to take my time and make proper means and stuff, but during the workweek, well, these are proof that humans are capable of working magic.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2814 on: October 13, 2016, 01:50:31 PM »
Love the crockpot

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2815 on: October 13, 2016, 02:33:06 PM »
I love the crockpot as well. Its been there for me more than any relationship every has.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #2816 on: October 13, 2016, 03:09:45 PM »

While I totally agree with you and have experienced this myself.  I honestly can't expect someone in a profile that is trying to attract people to mention negatives like "I drink a lot" or "I put out".  Even if they wanted to be as honest about that, putting something like that in your profile is going to attract a whole lot of dudes that are going to look for sex and only sex.  I believe the "not into hook ups" line in essentially every profile is a reaction to guys who hit them up looking for sex.

hahaha, yeah, I definitely don't think being that blunt is a good idea, but surely something better than the profiles that look like they were made to impress their mothers. Many of the women may be ultimately looking for relationships, but there's also a good number willing to play around with "Mr. Wrong" until it comes around. Although, I did see a few profiles that hinted toward it tactfully by saying something along the lines of "not looking for anything serious right now, just looking to have fun, but may settle down if the right one comes along", etc.

As for cooking, I suck at it. So, it's microwaved Chef Boyardee ravioli by candlelight. Bon appétit!!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2817 on: October 13, 2016, 03:56:46 PM »

I know what you mean.  Ever since my GF passed, dinners have been quick, easy and pretty boring.  We used to cook meals together.  :(
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2818 on: October 14, 2016, 01:47:47 PM »
3) Traditional

:drool:

Hey Chino - you may not even need to put the crock of your crock pot in the dishwasher if you use one of the plastic liner things. Just a thought.

Damn. All this talk of mac and cheese is making me HUNGRY. :metal

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2819 on: October 14, 2016, 01:52:28 PM »
Hey Chino - you may not even need to put the crock of your crock pot in the dishwasher if you use one of the plastic liner things. Just a thought.

Yeah, I've seen those. Every time I think about buying them, the inner hippie in me says "a sea turtle is going to think that's a jellyfish and die of internal hemorrhage", also, I'm cheap  :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2820 on: October 14, 2016, 01:52:57 PM »
LOL, fair enough. :biggrin:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2821 on: November 07, 2016, 05:31:33 AM »
How's everyone doing with this?

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2822 on: November 07, 2016, 05:52:48 AM »
There's two girls that I've met through different dating sites lately.

1. The first girl is from Poland and just moved to Sweden. She's really nice and funny and there's a strong attraction between us, even though we still haven't really done anything beyond hanging out and hugging a lot. I wasn't planning on falling for her, various things kind of stop things from ever getting serious between us. But I really like hanging out with her and will continue to have fun while it lasts, I think.
2. The second girl unfortunately moved from Stockholm shortly after our first date. But we've still managed to meet a few times. We share a lot of interests and opinions but I keep searching for that deeper connection without really finding it. Not sure if it's the uncertainty of the distance. But whether we become friends or something else, I'm glad to have met her.

So...I guess things are quite good. I've managed to push my boundaries a bit and get out of my comfort zone. Especially with girl number two, when she was in Stockholm last time she didn't have time to meet me alone, but invited me to come with her when she went out with her friends. Which meant I was going out with a group of people whom I had never met before. That terrified me but I still did it and felt proud of myself afterwards. :)
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2823 on: November 07, 2016, 06:21:31 AM »

How you doin with this?

I'm still dating 23yo.  Kind of amazed about how long I've been dating her to be honest.  Clearly something about her has stuck with me.  My friend told me he thinks I will marry her LOL but in all seriousness, I am actually a bit scared about my feelings towards her because I do in fact really like her.  It's always a blast when we hang out.  We might be planning a weekend trip to go to a PSU game in a few weeks. 

On the side though I actually met another girl this past week.  I wasn't really looking but it was a girl I was chatting with like 4 months ago and then she stopped responding to me.  Out of nowhere she reached out to me and said she never received my past messages cause she got a new phone and they didn't go through (I honestly didn't buy it, but I figured I'd give her a chance cause I actually enjoyed our conversations earlier and thought we had lots of similarities).  I thought the date went well with her, but she smokes cigarettes which is a major turn off for me so I've backed off from her and maybe she wasn't interested either cause she also backed off so it seemed maybe mutual.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2824 on: November 07, 2016, 06:37:25 AM »
There's two girls that I've met through different dating sites lately.

1. The first girl is from Poland and just moved to Sweden. She's really nice and funny and there's a strong attraction between us, even though we still haven't really done anything beyond hanging out and hugging a lot. I wasn't planning on falling for her, various things kind of stop things from ever getting serious between us. But I really like hanging out with her and will continue to have fun while it lasts, I think.
2. The second girl unfortunately moved from Stockholm shortly after our first date. But we've still managed to meet a few times. We share a lot of interests and opinions but I keep searching for that deeper connection without really finding it. Not sure if it's the uncertainty of the distance. But whether we become friends or something else, I'm glad to have met her.

So...I guess things are quite good. I've managed to push my boundaries a bit and get out of my comfort zone. Especially with girl number two, when she was in Stockholm last time she didn't have time to meet me alone, but invited me to come with her when she went out with her friends. Which meant I was going out with a group of people whom I had never met before. That terrified me but I still did it and felt proud of myself afterwards. :)

I'm glad to hear you're progressing.

How you doin with this?

I'm still dating 23yo.  Kind of amazed about how long I've been dating her to be honest.  Clearly something about her has stuck with me.  My friend told me he thinks I will marry her LOL but in all seriousness, I am actually a bit scared about my feelings towards her because I do in fact really like her.  It's always a blast when we hang out.  We might be planning a weekend trip to go to a PSU game in a few weeks. 

On the side though I actually met another girl this past week.  I wasn't really looking but it was a girl I was chatting with like 4 months ago and then she stopped responding to me.  Out of nowhere she reached out to me and said she never received my past messages cause she got a new phone and they didn't go through (I honestly didn't buy it, but I figured I'd give her a chance cause I actually enjoyed our conversations earlier and thought we had lots of similarities).  I thought the date went well with her, but she smokes cigarettes which is a major turn off for me so I've backed off from her and maybe she wasn't interested either cause she also backed off so it seemed maybe mutual.

Not so well on my end. I've realized honesty just doesn't work from the onset.

How long have you been with the 23 year old?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2825 on: November 07, 2016, 08:09:39 AM »
Why doesn't honesty work?  I feel it's worked every time for me.  Even something negative for me, if I own up to it and be honest about it, I've found every single one of the girl's I've dated to be appreciative of it since most people aren't so honest.

I've been dating 23yo for like 5 months now or something.  It's weird that she hasn't brought up the idea of being more serious honestly.  We have not yet had one negative interaction either, it's like we just click and I can't even think of a time where I wish we didn't hang out or had second thoughts either.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #2826 on: November 07, 2016, 08:35:03 AM »
Dang Cram, sounds pretty good. Just don't over think it. You've talked about not wanting a serious relationship, but it seems like you're doing good. It looks like a textbook case of letting something happen naturally, and not forcing it into a specific box. Roll with it. Wherever it goes, as long as you're into it, it doesn't matter what label you put on it.

As for "honesty", I think it depends on what that truth is. There's that joke about women holding back their crazy early on in a relationship. Apparently, guys are crazy too lol. Who knew? Theres being honest, and then there's offering up too much honesty. Some people are just turned off by certain things. Oh well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2827 on: November 07, 2016, 08:40:19 AM »
Agreed. Like if I haven't met the girl, I may not open up about the negatives about me or my past.  But I've found it's great relief to get that out there and known.  I'm always really self conscious about telling a girl I ended an engagement.  I feel like it's a stain on me, but once I get that out there and answer any question honestly, I have not had one single instance of the girl turning away or acting negatively towards me for that.

It's kind of funny cause a couple months ago I was chatting with a girl on tinder.  She seemed really interested in me and I wasn't very interested in her after we were talking so I just went out and told her EVERY SINGE BAD THING ABOUT ME.  Literally.  She loved it.  It backfired.  She kept wanting to know more about me.  It was quite funny actually but it showed to me, that guys are mostly full of shit when it comes to dating and if you be honest even if its bad, it really goes a long way to a woman respecting you.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2828 on: November 07, 2016, 11:08:45 AM »
Plus I don't think it bodes well for the health of the relationship to use that health as ballast against a truth bomb.    I get that there is balance ("Hi, I'm Bob.  I have herpes.  Can I buy you a drink?") but I also don't think it's fair - or loving, or respectful - to wait until a year in and someone else is invested before you drop the "I have a wife and two kids in Oklahoma because I'm an escaped convict on the lam!" on her. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2829 on: November 07, 2016, 12:43:53 PM »
Why doesn't honesty work?  I feel it's worked every time for me.  Even something negative for me, if I own up to it and be honest about it, I've found every single one of the girl's I've dated to be appreciative of it since most people aren't so honest.

I feel like ever since I've updated my profile to be more open and upfront about myself, I've had worse luck. :lol I could write a really great profile that would hook plenty of women to choose from, but then once some of the other truths came out it would be a disaster. I've tried it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2830 on: November 07, 2016, 01:26:32 PM »

I feel like ever since I've updated my profile to be more open and upfront about myself, I've had worse luck. :lol I could write a really great profile that would hook plenty of women to choose from, but then once some of the other truths came out it would be a disaster. I've tried it.

Maybe putting that stuff in the profile isnt the way to go?  I often wonder if anyone reads the profiles anyway and if they do, maybe putting too much info is a turn off?  I'm not sure honestly, I know I read the profiles, but I'd rather talk and discover the negatives than read about them first and be turned off before even talking since you'll already have a judgement on someone without even knowing them.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2831 on: November 07, 2016, 01:31:52 PM »

Maybe putting that stuff in the profile isnt the way to go?  I often wonder if anyone reads the profiles anyway and if they do, maybe putting too much info is a turn off?  I'm not sure honestly, I know I read the profiles, but I'd rather talk and discover the negatives than read about them first and be turned off before even talking since you'll already have a judgement on someone without even knowing them.

Never put potentially negative truths in you bio. It allows the person viewing to create their own perception of you based on their own past experiences. Get the conversation going and paint yourself in a positive light. Being truthful after that point will be much easier for your potential mate to digest. Leave the bio interesting but vague.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2832 on: November 07, 2016, 01:36:00 PM »
Most of women I know I would hit it off with live in Brooklyn or Manhattan or even New Jersey. Staten Island is a whole different world. It really does come across as this culturally ignorant place. However, just go across the bridge to Brooklyn and you find women who love books and art and are open-minded. You don't see that in my Staten Island profiles. Sadly, most of the Brooklyn and Manhattan types do not want to travel to Staten Island to date someone.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2833 on: November 07, 2016, 01:51:55 PM »
Most of women I know I would hit it off with live in Brooklyn or Manhattan or even New Jersey. Staten Island is a whole different world. It really does come across as this culturally ignorant place. However, just go across the bridge to Brooklyn and you find women who love books and art and are open-minded. You don't see that in my Staten Island profiles. Sadly, most of the Brooklyn and Manhattan types do not want to travel to Staten Island to date someone.

I know what you mean.  Most NJ people won't date Staten Islanders.  It's so true, that island (no offense) is disgusting and the people are largely assholes and scumbags.  That one girl I dated was pretty nice but she wasn't from SI so it made sense.  The one other girl I dated from SI ended up stalking me and the girl I dated after her.  It was a nightmare and I don't believe she was out of the ordinary for SI girls.    Also, the one nice girl from SI (the one actually from Binghamton) told me so many stories about the people she worked with and how scummy everyone is there.  I feel for you on this.  And once again, trying not to offend your home, but just telling it how I see it and how others I know have told me they see it as well.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2834 on: November 07, 2016, 03:16:35 PM »
There's that joke about women holding back their crazy early on in a relationship.

Proved true for Ginger  :|

That whole situation is a hot mess and probably over for good. I was really upset about it for a minute, now I'm just pissed off but getting over it.

I had an unexpected date last night with a guy I met at the film festival, and we had the best conversation. We are hanging again when the festival is over because I'm hella busy. He so cute!!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.