Author Topic: Lonely Hearts Club Thread v. The Strong Grip  (Read 279345 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Lonely Hearts Club Thread v. The Strong Grip
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2014, 01:31:59 PM »
That sounds fair enough. I hope it works out for you. Otherwise, you can woo her with some romantic verses from Metropolis Part I.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2014, 01:35:38 PM »
That sounds fair enough. I hope it works out for you. Otherwise, you can woo her with some romantic verses from Metropolis Part I.
I hope it does too. I haven't felt this way for someone in a while, so I'm hoping it does. But yeah, if it doesn't, I can say to her: "But wait, there must be the third and last dance.."

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2014, 01:40:53 PM »
I hope it does too. I haven't felt this way for someone in a while, so I'm hoping it does. But yeah, if it doesn't, I can say to her: "But wait, there must be the third and last dance.."

Or you can refer to the good old Count of Tuscany. "Get into my car, let's go for a drive. Along the way I'll be your guide, just step inside."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2014, 12:55:22 AM »
I'm desperately and pathetically afraid of being alone. I am also to introverted and afraid of social situations to ever be able to change being alone.

I really hate my life.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2014, 12:56:28 AM »
I'm desperately and pathetically afraid of being alone. I am also to introverted and afraid of social situations to ever be able to change being alone.

I really hate my life.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2014, 01:03:17 AM »
And for once I want to feel truely wanted. Needed. Is that too much to ask for? Because I feel lik even when I thought I was... I really wasn't. I've apparently always been expendable. Replaceable.

It hurts. A lot.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2014, 08:42:16 PM »
Just got back from a date, gooood stuff. Really cute, Dutch, likes rock climbing, and has a PhD in Applied Physics. And, she wants to meet again.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2014, 08:43:37 PM »
Sounds like your dream woman :lol

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2014, 09:32:06 PM »
Friday may finally be the day we grab dinner. I see her next on Tuesday. She finally moved in yesterday to the apartment. I'm nervous to ask her. We talked about it last week where I asked her if it was okay if we went out on a day off to which she said that was fine (she preferred it that way). I'm just afraid that a week since she moved in may be too soon to ask. I'm pretty sure she'll say yes, but I think it's the nerves that this may finally be happening is getting to me.

I just want it to be Tuesday so I can ask.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2014, 10:02:13 PM »
Just got back from a date, gooood stuff. Really cute, Dutch, likes rock climbing, and has a PhD in Applied Physics. And, she wants to meet again.

Ask if her immovable object would like to meet with your irresistible force.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2014, 06:30:34 AM »
Or is she thinks she could see you coming If you moved at the speed of light  :|
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2014, 06:30:55 AM »
*awaits ban notification*

Offline Ħ

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2014, 08:33:02 PM »
Hey guys...

So...I'm finally free! I decided to pursue something with a friend I had a few years ago, from college. We kept in touch and had a good connection, so I thought, why not? She's very pretty, too.

I asked her if she was interested and she said yes! She's not my gf but we are in the "seeing each other" phase.

The difficult thing is it is long distance but...well, I guess I don't see that as a compelling reason to not try to make it work out. I'm going to see her next month. Bring my guitar and serenade her, I'm thinking. Brown-eyed Girl.

Anyway, thought I'd share with you guys!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »

Never replied to this, follow-up to this thing was eventually a total no-go. She totally dragged her feet about replying to my emails after I met her the first time, and then a few days later i saw her at the rock climbing gym, climbing with some guy (which isn't necessarily meaningful, since you always need another person to belay you). I chatted shortly with her but she seemed rather curt.
Well, a few days later, after i sent her a "hey, I'm assuming this isn't going anywhere" email, she replies "yeah, you know, the guy you saw me with, that was my ex husband. Not sure where I am emotionally right now" Since we had connected on FB, I saw that she had married him only two years ago, which must mean they must have called it off very recently.

Either way, very cute, very attractive, but also decidedly this. You can't win in those cases.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2014, 11:04:11 PM »
So the girl I met on Tinder a couple months ago (first girl I have seen since I broke up with my x-fiance) has asked me to come chill and spend the night at her new place in Queens.  Kind of nervous about this, but obviously excited to see what happens.  Being new to the dating scene, Ive had a hard time reading this girl.  She hardly texts or chats with me, but then we go on a date and everything seems cool.  We didnt talk for a few days so I asked if she was still interested in meeting up again and she actually got a bit snappy about why i was asking that and thats when she invited me to stay over her place.  So I guess that shows she has interest, but just weird.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2014, 11:12:11 PM »
So the girl I met on Tinder a couple months ago (first girl I have seen since I broke up with my x-fiance) has asked me to come chill and spend the night at her new place in Queens.  Kind of nervous about this, but obviously excited to see what happens.  Being new to the dating scene, Ive had a hard time reading this girl.  She hardly texts or chats with me, but then we go on a date and everything seems cool.  We didn't talk for a few days so I asked if she was still interested in meeting up again and she actually got a bit snappy about why i was asking that and that's when she invited me to stay over her place.  So I guess that shows she has interest, but just weird.

She's probably trying to read the situation the same as you. She probably doesn't want to come off as too clingy, yet she does seem to have a genuine interest in you. A word of advice:  Never base the relationship on communication through texting and chatting. Chances are she could be distracted by other things while talking to you; it's not unusual. Usually texting and chatting online with someone is purely convenience, a way to fill the gaps between actual face-to-face encounters and even phone calls.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2014, 05:42:13 AM »

Never replied to this, follow-up to this thing was eventually a total no-go. She totally dragged her feet about replying to my emails after I met her the first time, and then a few days later i saw her at the rock climbing gym, climbing with some guy (which isn't necessarily meaningful, since you always need another person to belay you). I chatted shortly with her but she seemed rather curt.
Well, a few days later, after i sent her a "hey, I'm assuming this isn't going anywhere" email, she replies "yeah, you know, the guy you saw me with, that was my ex husband. Not sure where I am emotionally right now" Since we had connected on FB, I saw that she had married him only two years ago, which must mean they must have called it off very recently.

Either way, very cute, very attractive, but also decidedly this. You can't win in those cases.

Uh huh. Only wants till they can have, then doesn't want.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2014, 05:10:25 PM »
Yeah. As an ex of mine once put it, she's "damaged goods".

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2014, 05:17:45 PM »
Why are we calling people damaged goods over getting conflicted emotions over a divorce? God knows you can be in a let's get back together-no I hate this-I'd like to go on a date with another person-the date only highlighted how much I'm still into my ex-let's get back together cycle after every relationship, let alone a marriage. I'm sure we've had people on the forum in that exact same situation.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2014, 05:27:54 PM »
That's all fair and true, but I happen to be a pawn in that rebound play. I'm sure it's hard to figure out where she stands, but that doesn't nullify the fact how much it sucks for me to essentially just be a "comparison point" to her ex husband.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2014, 05:37:37 PM »
Yeah, but you've only gone on one date. Maybe it's grating for you to date different women for a while and see nothing come out of it, especially if you liked one of them, but essentially if you feel you're an unimportant person in someone's life or maybe just a comparison point, you are, and you don't have to be a protagonist in a story every time you want to (learned that the hard way). When I feel a little used, I usually muse on how many times I've done that to other people in different occasions and my takeaway is that we all kinda suck sometimes. But no one has time for background noise, even if it means that it bites me in the face and that next time around I'm someone's background noise. That's cool, because not everyone has to like me or keep me in their life.

If it makes you feel any better, it doesn't even have to mean that she is comparing between the two of you, just that the very convention of dating reminds her of her husband.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2014, 11:37:15 PM »
My situation is still in progress, but it's still very strong. My mom ended up in the hospital with heart failure a few weeks ago and ended up with all four arteries being 90% clogged and ended up needing surgery. I figured right now wasn't the best time to ask about dinner because I didn't want it to be a pity date. (For those who aren't following this or need a refresher, I'm interested in a girl that works at my family's grocery store, we are planning on grabbing dinner at some point soon). I still went to work while my mom was in the hospital last week, but it was a very fragile time. My dad was never at work and my brother who works at our store was also at the hospital everyday, so it was very difficult last week. I opened up myself to her and just let her know where I was at with the whole thing with my mom. Before she left work that day, she checked up on me to make sure I was okay--I thought that was cool of her because as I said to her, I wasn't expecting her to listen to which she said she had no problem taking the time out of her day to listen to me. I kind of took that to mean she cares about me to some degree  :lol

I was also going through our store's Facebook page the other day and back in June, my mom posted a picture of me holding a bottle of my favorite root beer from our craft soda door. I never saw who liked it, but I went back yesterday and got a nice surprise. I saw that her sister had liked the picture. Now, it may seem like nothing, but I went through our feed and she had never liked anything on our page before--the picture of me was the first thing. I figured that means I've been mentioned before or at least been talked about to some degree. It seemed pretty random that she would like a picture of me on our Facebook without at least having some knowledge of me, and that was before I was introduced to her.

Sorry for the wall of text. She's been gone all week and memories are the only thing I have to go off of.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2014, 03:13:38 AM »
Yeah, but you've only gone on one date. Maybe it's grating for you to date different women for a while and see nothing come out of it, especially if you liked one of them, but essentially if you feel you're an unimportant person in someone's life or maybe just a comparison point, you are, and you don't have to be a protagonist in a story every time you want to (learned that the hard way). When I feel a little used, I usually muse on how many times I've done that to other people in different occasions and my takeaway is that we all kinda suck sometimes. But no one has time for background noise, even if it means that it bites me in the face and that next time around I'm someone's background noise. That's cool, because not everyone has to like me or keep me in their life.

If it makes you feel any better, it doesn't even have to mean that she is comparing between the two of you, just that the very convention of dating reminds her of her husband.

I agree with this and rumboraks POV.

The thing is, even though people do it, it isn't right to work your feelings out for someone by using someone else. If that's what you're doing then you should probably be spending time away from any romantic entanglements.

Oh and yea....I've done it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2014, 05:04:38 PM »
And so have I. And I felt really, really bad afterwards.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2014, 06:42:04 AM »
After a year and a couple months, it's time to say farewell to the club once again.. for now at least :)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2014, 06:48:42 AM »
So the girl I met on Tinder a couple months ago (first girl I have seen since I broke up with my x-fiance) has asked me to come chill and spend the night at her new place in Queens.  Kind of nervous about this, but obviously excited to see what happens.  Being new to the dating scene, Ive had a hard time reading this girl.  She hardly texts or chats with me, but then we go on a date and everything seems cool.  We didn't talk for a few days so I asked if she was still interested in meeting up again and she actually got a bit snappy about why i was asking that and that's when she invited me to stay over her place.  So I guess that shows she has interest, but just weird.

She's probably trying to read the situation the same as you. She probably doesn't want to come off as too clingy, yet she does seem to have a genuine interest in you. A word of advice:  Never base the relationship on communication through texting and chatting. Chances are she could be distracted by other things while talking to you; it's not unusual. Usually texting and chatting online with someone is purely convenience, a way to fill the gaps between actual face-to-face encounters and even phone calls.

So we met up Friday night, went out for a few drinks and dinner and then went back to her place.  She started falling asleep on the couch so I said lets go to bed... we get into her bed and so I start making out with her.  We are going at it pretty good and starting to get the dry humping in a little bit and then she stops saying she has her period.  OK so we stop and go to sleep.  I take off early in the morning as she had requested I take off early because she had friends coming over early from New Hampshire.  Anyway, so I sent her a follow up text saying I had a good time, she responded like 12 hours later just saying she hoped I had a good day, never said she had a good time either.  And then she never responded to my text yesterday so I am not sure whats up.  Im assuming she was lying about the period and that I probably did something that turned her off although I cant say what it was.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2014, 08:32:23 AM »

So we met up Friday night, went out for a few drinks and dinner and then went back to her place.  She started falling asleep on the couch so I said lets go to bed... we get into her bed and so I start making out with her.  We are going at it pretty good and starting to get the dry humping in a little bit and then she stops saying she has her period.  OK so we stop and go to sleep.  I take off early in the morning as she had requested I take off early because she had friends coming over early from New Hampshire.  Anyway, so I sent her a follow up text saying I had a good time, she responded like 12 hours later just saying she hoped I had a good day, never said she had a good time either.  And then she never responded to my text yesterday so I am not sure whats up.  Im assuming she was lying about the period and that I probably did something that turned her off although I cant say what it was.
Here's another piece of advice: don't assume what people are thinking. Ask instead. :)
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2014, 08:36:38 AM »
Considering I asked previously and she seemed to get defensive about it.  I plan on asking if she doesnt talk to me for another day or two, figure Ill give it time.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2014, 02:12:17 PM »
And so I called her out and she said "I was nervous about saying something to you, Im not good with that" blah blah, oh well.  My first time dating someone since I ended an almost 10 year relationship.  Learn from the experience and move on.  :coolio

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2014, 10:03:24 AM »
Interesting discussion: Saw a (quite cute) Asian girl's profile yesterday, but she goes on in her profile about "don't make me explain to you the difference between a fetish (e.g. for Asians) and being attracted to say, brunettes."

As I was reading that, I thought: "Err, what *is* the difference?"

Does fetish imply obsession?
Also, I'm assuming an Asian man saying "I only go for female Asians" is not a fetish, right? But when a Caucasian says it, it is?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2014, 10:09:17 AM »
I would havee thought a fetish was more specific than just "asians" and a fetish could be an verb and not a noun?  I wouldnt go near someone who has crap like that in their profile.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2014, 10:11:58 AM »
Well, interestingly, I have a good friend (who sadly is now married to a dumbshit countryman of mine) of Filipino descent, and she had the same problem, that most of the dates she got were of the fetish kind. I wonder what that meant though; did those guys want her to dress up like an Anime character or something?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2014, 10:17:16 AM »
Well, interestingly, I have a good friend (who sadly is now married to a dumbshit countryman of mine) of Filipino descent, and she had the same problem, that most of the dates she got were of the fetish kind. I wonder what that meant though; did those guys want her to dress up like an Anime character or something?

Now that sounds more like a fetish whereas liking only asians seems to be a personal taste.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2014, 10:23:30 AM »
Wow. Really?

Yes, one is a perversion and is sexual, and the other is a simple preference. It's not uncommon, there's a good bit of Caucasian (mostly, in my experience, British and American) men that have a fetish for Asian women. I used to have a friend like this. He'd go on and on about how Asian women are the best, and then when I asked why he only wanted to go after Asian women, he'd list all these sexual things, and only sexual things (usually quite perverted...this is coming from ME). It most often is an obsession and can lead to stalking, taking personal items (hairbrush, underwear, deodorant, toothbrush, etc) and in some cases something more sinister (but usually is just creepy and annoying). On the opposite end of the spectrum, there's a very real situation in Japan in which Japanese women have a fetish for (usually white) foreign Males. This may seem like it goes beyond a 'fetish', but that's exactly what it is. Now, I'm sure that the 'Gaijin Hunters' are more obsessive and quite frankly dangerous than the people this girl is referring to, but it really wouldn't be far fetched for her to have experienced something like this. I wouldn't be so quick to assume and blindly judge.

If you'd like to see a great (though a bit long) video on Gaijin Hunters that is more or less just entertaining, but nonetheless informative, check this out (skip to around the 6 minute mark if you don't have a lot of time). He rambles a bunch but it's a bit eye opening, and could be what this girl is referring to. I'm not sure why or how the relation of Asian women and foreign (again, almost always white) Males formed, and she could just be wanting attention/crazy herself but it is absolutely a real thing that's become even more rampant with the age of the internet.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2014, 10:30:55 AM »

I am a fairly recently (almost two years) divorced man, after a fifteen year marriage.  One of the things I was grateful for after the divorce was just meeting people.  Talking to people (men and women) at bars.   Going on dates with no expectation or desire of anything beyond that date.   Not easy (especially for me) but necessary.  The reason I quoted you, MoraWintersoul, is because while you didn't say it outright, I think you are heading down this path, and that is, every date is a necessary part of the NEXT date, even if they are different people.   I have become incredibly lenient with people in this way.  If we go on a date and I fall in love and you don't, that's NOT YOUR FAULT, and you have no obligation - perhaps except for just some human decency - to reciprocate in any way that isn't comfortable for you.   Dating is like playing a football game:  even though you may or may not have ideas on how it SHOULD turn out, you actually play the game precisely because you DON'T know how it's going to turn out until it happens. 

While I was waiting for my divorce to be finalized, I met up with this girl.  Bright, attractive, creative... and we talked via text for a while, talked on the phone, and even went on one date that went very well.  We had experienced similar things, though we lived a little far apart (maybe an hour?).   We went on a second date, and near the end, while kissing she stopped to look at me and I honest to god thought I saw - if not love then at least really strong "I think I found what I am looking for".  We had to get home to our respective sitters, and I left on cloud nine thinking perhaps this was the light at the end of the tunnel.  We talked maybe twice or three times after and that was it.  She didn't really give any detailed explanation, just that it didn't feel right.   And I thought about all the emotions I could have and it dawned on me; she owed me nothing, and at least I could take from this that there was life after divorce and there were bright, attractive, creative people out there, and I had gotten my "post-divorce dating jitters" out of the way! 

I did text her on her birthday and she said she was in a relationship and happy, and to this day I don't know if she was dating multiple people, or if she got back with someone from her past or met someone new, but it didn't matter.   If she's not 100% invested in me, and 100% sure I'm the right guy for her, why would I even want to date her?   And why should I expect her to figure all that out on my time table? 

Postcript:  A couple months from when I met the first girl, I met another girl (interestingly, same first name) and we have been together now for over a year, and it DOES feel right.   I think back now and there is almost no comparison.  I don't miss the first girl, don't regret the first girl, and am grateful that I experienced that, so that I could be open and appreciative of what I have now. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:56:24 AM by Stadler »