Author Topic: Lonely Hearts Club Thread v. The Strong Grip  (Read 282663 times)

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
Re: Lonely Hearts Club Thread v. The Strong Grip
« Reply #3360 on: August 01, 2019, 09:56:50 AM »
I've felt myself becoming more and more of a one man version of our little Club here. It's amazing how we start to rationalize certain things when we are in a questionable state of mind. So I'll leave you with a quote of the show New Girl, episode 'Tomatoes'. When Nick decides to try again with his ex (backsliding) that dumped him and left him broken, Jess says in a rather disappointed tone, "That is pathetic Nick. You're just saying that because you don't have the patience or the courage to be alone." It's not a new idea to me, but I definitely find solace in showing the strength to do what's right, not just what's "easy", or what will satisfy the voice inside my head that won't shut the fuck up.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3361 on: August 01, 2019, 10:01:30 AM »
Tell her to let you know when she secures an '83 DeLorean and figures out how to harness 1.21 GW.

Those kinds of apology always strike me as being made with good intentions, but are really more about the person forgiving themselves for their mistakes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3362 on: August 01, 2019, 10:08:55 AM »
Chino, that text would drive me insane.  I don't know how you could continue to share the dog, I feel like I need a complete break because even things as small as my x liking an IG post made me go a little bonkers in my head. 

Sylvan, I wouldn't say I don't have the courage to be alone, it's more the desire, but I know what you mean about nothing being easy and I know first hand how difficult this has been and continues to be.  Just got to keep working on myself.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #3363 on: August 01, 2019, 10:51:13 AM »
Cram, it wasn't meant to be directed AT anyone, but more something FOR everyone. It's an important thing for all single people who don't want to be single to remember. And if anything, it should help to free people up and let things happen more naturally. I think all of us have had a moment when we were willing to "force" something just because it's easier than the alternative, which is being alone. I go back and forth on which one of those ideas will win out lol.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3364 on: August 01, 2019, 11:00:47 AM »
I've got no issues with being alone. I've been alone for 13 months now. Many aspects of it are awesome.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #3365 on: August 01, 2019, 11:13:12 AM »
I've got no issues with being alone. I've been alone for 13 months now. Many aspects of it are awesome.

Ya know, that's something interesting that I think about sometimes. Firstly, when months turn to years, it becomes more of an existential challenge. But then I think about the ways my life would change for the "worse" if I found someone to be with, all the things I would have to give up. There are definitely aspects of the single life that are very awesome.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3366 on: August 01, 2019, 11:22:05 AM »
I've been alone for 7 years now and I intend to die alone :neverusethis:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3367 on: August 01, 2019, 11:30:19 AM »
I often think about how I'm probably meant to be alone, I actually do enjoy living alone.  I have so much freedom and the ability to do whatever my heart desires.  None of my relationships have worked out, I am extremely selfish, this all seems like it's probably meant to be in some ways.  I'm just not used to it yet and things like my x stalking my IG continue to freak me out, so it's an adjustment and a challenge.  Maybe I should grab it by the horns a little harder and embrace it more instead of worrying about my future. 

I should also add what makes it harder is that my coworker has been in Singapore so I've also been working solo for the last few weeks.  There's people in my building, not many, but it's no one from my company and I work in my own area of the building by myself.  It's also odd to really not interact with many people in person for days at a time.  Probably why my concert attendance is going up just so I can be in a social environment.  Speaking of, since I've got so much freedom, I'm thinking of maybe catching Iron Maiden again in Hartford Saturday.  Being able to do things like that on the fly is definitely a positive of the living solo life and I can afford it since I'm not taking any girls out for drinks or dinner.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #3368 on: August 01, 2019, 11:49:26 AM »
It's also odd to really not interact with many people in person for days at a time. 

This is EXACTLY why I made the comments earlier about having the courage and patience to be alone. My current life situation has me feeling like I'm in prison sometimes, cutoff from the world, unsure of how to get off the bench and back in the game (of Life, not just dating). Let's just say that I can top Kat's 7 years alone, and it's easy to start to look for ways out. But I just have to remind myself to do what's RIGHT, not just what's easy.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3369 on: August 01, 2019, 08:12:00 PM »
I truly love being alone.

Before getting engaged and having a legit long term relationship (which fell apart), I was absolutely terrified to be alone. I thought it meant I was a failure and I looked at a relationship as what I needed to complete me. I looked at it as the finish line and felt like everyone was so happy in the their perfect relationships. I was so wrong.

The grass may seem greener on the other side, but once you get there you start to see the flaws and cracks in it all. I now cherish the peace, quiet and tranquility of being on my own. Every relationship I have been in has had frustration, arguing and non sense. I can not stand being hassled and nagged, or having fights and passive aggressiveness out of nowhere. Being single is so simple and stress free.

Now if someone came along that I actually can get along well with, cool. If not, then that's cool too. I love the life I have built for myself and just keeps getting better.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3370 on: August 01, 2019, 08:25:42 PM »
I've often joked with my friends that the perfect girlfriend for me is basically a roommate I could see maybe once a day and have passing conversations with, while we spend most of the day in separate rooms.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3371 on: August 02, 2019, 05:17:24 AM »
For what it's worth, being happy in a relationship and being happy alone are both muscles that need to be worked out. It's good to learn how to create a life for and by yourself without the need to run to a suboptimal relationship, but it's also good to learn how to be happy in relationships even when the other person can't read your mind. Different people lean different ways and need to hear different advice, this is just my attempt to make it more universal.

Humans are social creatures, and isolating yourself will lead to a need to get back out there eventually, but then you'll be annoyed by the "offer" because nothing compares to the highly optimized entertainment you can give yourself, and then you'll go back home and put a few more bricks in the wall. It can be a vicious cycle. It's an even more vicious cycle when you don't like being alone with yourself, so you get back with the crappy ex, and then you hate yourself and being with yourself a little more.

I've been on both sides of this. I'm an odd duck. Most people aren't too into things I'm into, entertainment-wise, and my husband is one of them. I'll never be able to share some stuff I like with him because he will never get into it. I'm sure he feels the same way about some stuff he is into. We do share a lot of things, we're not worlds apart, but it's not like he's "my other half" - some friends come closer to that moniker than he does, and I can't compete with some of his friends either in that sense. I prefer hiking on rainy days, and he prefers hiking on sunny days. I like to be as close to the front row as possible when we're seeing a concert, he wants to be out of the crowd as much as possible, so every concert is a compromise. I'm a flexitarian, he will not eat a single meal without beef or pork - I kid you not, his favorite bisquits are made with pork fat instead of butter :lol But when he's away or I'm away, those daily annoyances just melt away, and I only remember the fun we're having. And being able to have sex and cuddle with a compatible person whenever I like is a big bonus.

Maybe it's because I'm in an extreme situation - we moved away together into a country where we didn't know anyone and we still don't know too many people. It's expensive to fly back and forth so most of our friends will never visit us, we have to come to them. Because of that, I look back on all the hangouts I missed because I wasn't in the mood to talk or all the annoyances I had sharing my daily life with people I now miss, and I want to grab myself by the shoulders and give myself a gentle shake, just to nudge me out of my introvert shell. Most people will never be in this situation. But if you recognize yourself in this, maybe this is the advice for you.

I used to share a room with my brother and every time he went out it was like a holiday - I can finally be alone! Do all the things I want all by myself! Well, turns out what I like doing by myself is very average. I like to write things - not anything loads of people like to read, just music reviews and personal blogs and stuff. I like to listen to music. I like to read the news and watch cartoons. My brother is also very average - he follows sports, he watches movies and he plays video games. It's all just... consuming content. It's not like we were working on a creative hobby or our health or traveling. Just pleasing ourselves with content that goes straight into the brain to trigger happy hormones the easy way. But when we did that together, those were the most fun times I remember and that I would kill to have more of, instead of having us both with our own pair of headphones enjoying shit on our own desktop computers, separately. Ten years ago we stayed up all night listening to a Kansas compilation and discussing it, and I still vividly remember it as one of the best times I had with him. Even though he's an annoying know-it-all who pretends to know what prog is :lol
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 05:25:42 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3372 on: August 02, 2019, 06:32:42 AM »
Good post Mora, I wanted to ask a question to all those 7 years plus being alone and you briefly touched upon it...

And being able to have sex and cuddle with a compatible person whenever I like is a big bonus.

Do any of you guys miss this?  I think the hardest part about being alone is not having any sex, and if I do have sex (I got laid at warped tour last month) there's no passion, it's just sex.  I'm getting older and my sex drive isn't quite what it was 10 years ago, but it still drives me for sure.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3373 on: August 02, 2019, 06:56:10 AM »
I only write this to give support, but reading this thread is like a massive punch of deja vu all over again.  Almost every single part of it (except the anxiety; I was dating a slightly older group of women, and so it was different.  I've written about this before:  women who married their high school sweetheart, and found out, 20 years and two kids later, that Trevor was still mentally in 12th grade). 

The big one for me:  the "connection" part of things.

I met a wonderful woman, 40, funny, cute, smart, into my music, didn't mind a couple Guiness on St. Patty's Day...  seemed perfect on paper, and yet... when we kissed?  NOTHING.   Not even a blip.   Nada.  In hindsight, I would have loved to have been her friend, or concert buddy, but it wasn't meant to be. 

All I can say is "Be you".   If it doesn't feel right, trust your gut that it ISN'T right.  There's no right answer here (though my path was closest to Cram's, it seems), so the only person that you can really help is you.   

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3374 on: August 02, 2019, 07:07:36 AM »
And being able to have sex and cuddle with a compatible person whenever I like is a big bonus.

But see, more often than not that only goes one way (At least from stories I heard and my own situation). I've been with my partner for almost 9 years, and the times we have sex is usually when she wants to, not necessarily when I do. There are times I want to and the "I'm tired" or "not today" comes up, yet when she wants to I'm always ready. It drives me crazy to the point that I am trying less and just wait her initiate things.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3375 on: August 02, 2019, 07:11:59 AM »

But see, more often than not that only goes one way (At least from stories I heard and my own situation). I've been with my partner for almost 9 years, and the times we have sex is usually virtually always when she wants to, not necessarily when I do. There are times I want to and the "I'm tired" or "not today" comes up, yet when she wants to I'm always EXPECTED TO BE ready. It drives me crazy to the point that I am trying less and just wait her initiate things.

I hear ya... and added a little clarification as to my marriage.  I mean, god forbid that I say 'not in the mood'.  And it's quite demoralizing to initiate something, and 90% of the time, I'm shot down.  I hardly ever initiate.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3376 on: August 02, 2019, 07:13:08 AM »
Good post Mora, I wanted to ask a question to all those 7 years plus being alone and you briefly touched upon it...

Do any of you guys miss this?  I think the hardest part about being alone is not having any sex, and if I do have sex (I got laid at warped tour last month) there's no passion, it's just sex.  I'm getting older and my sex drive isn't quite what it was 10 years ago, but it still drives me for sure.

That was a major problem for the first few weeks post break up. Worrying about losing access to intimacy and that includes (closeness/cuddling + sex). That alone postponed a final break up for WAY too long.

And there was only one time I had sex just to have sex, where there was no intimacy connection and I felt sick to my stomach afterward. Definitely not for me. Sure, I could jump on my Harley, hit the bars and flash some cash and a little game and get laid, but that means nothing to me. I value the connection part of a relationship.

But see, more often than not that only goes one way (At least from stories I heard and my own situation). I've been with my partner for almost 9 years, and the times we have sex is usually when she wants to, not necessarily when I do. There are times I want to and the "I'm tired" or "not today" comes up, yet when she wants to I'm always ready. It drives me crazy to the point that I am trying less and just wait her initiate things.

Luckily none of my relationships never made it far enough to deal with that  :lol  but yeah, that really sucks though.
There's even a whole reddit dedicated to it

https://www.reddit.com/r/DeadBedrooms/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3377 on: August 02, 2019, 07:43:16 AM »

But see, more often than not that only goes one way (At least from stories I heard and my own situation). I've been with my partner for almost 9 years, and the times we have sex is usually virtually always when she wants to, not necessarily when I do. There are times I want to and the "I'm tired" or "not today" comes up, yet when she wants to I'm always EXPECTED TO BE ready. It drives me crazy to the point that I am trying less and just wait her initiate things.

I hear ya... and added a little clarification as to my marriage.  I mean, god forbid that I say 'not in the mood'.  And it's quite demoralizing to initiate something, and 90% of the time, I'm shot down.  I hardly ever initiate.

TMI, I'm sure, but we might have married sisters.   ;)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3378 on: August 02, 2019, 08:20:02 AM »

@ both of you: this happens a lot more than you think. Learning about the concept of responsive desire and Esther Perel's book Mating in Captivity really helped me gain perspective about why I'm losing attraction/not working on being attractive, and working how to mitigate that. I wish I could get my husband to read it, alas nonfiction is one of those things he's just not into  :lol

after a while, when you get into a "one initiates/one is a passive recipient of initiation" mode, the initiatee often starts taking the initiator for granted. It's just one of those things that, when you volunteer to do, people just stop volunteering around you. Common human dynamic that doesn't only apply to sex. Wish we came up with a good way to solve it. Imagine if one day you showed up to work and everyone else volunteered to do their fair share that you've been helping them with :angel:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3379 on: August 02, 2019, 08:32:09 AM »
That makes sense Mora, and I can add that I experienced the same situation in a previous and my most serious past relationship.  I was initiator and eventually when shit started getting sour in our relationship and I stopped initiating, the sex completely stopped and that was the end of us (well, took my lame ass a full year of being in a relationship with no sex before finally having the balls to end it). 

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #3380 on: August 02, 2019, 10:57:54 AM »

Honestly, I've never had sex with someone that I had legitimate romantic feelings towards. Every time I've had sex, there's an immediate change in mental state. I'm all for being someplace else. And it's not a negative feeling, no disgust in myself or her, it has nothing to do with anything that just happened. I just would rather be sitting on my couch, smoking a bowl. And I'm convinced that it's because I'm not totally into the person emotionally. And I've said to myself that I don't want to experience that anymore, and would rather wait to be with someone that I want to still be around after we're done having sex.

That being said, I've never let the prospect of sex influence my decisions. I lost my virginity at a later age than most people, and the one relationship I've had that could have "provided" regular sex, I broke off when she wanted to get more serious because I knew I didn't feel that way about her. As I write this right now, I'm kinda realizing that the two things are related. My conscious efforts to not let sex be a deciding factor have led to my wanting to experience that with someone that means more to me.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3381 on: August 06, 2019, 05:55:49 AM »
Am I being too picky with my prospects?

I went out with a girl last night who didn't know state flags were a thing. She's 28 and was completely unaware that each state had its own flag. I stopped in my tracks and was dumbfounded in complete awe at that fact. That alone has made me not interested in pursuing things further. Do I need to lighten up here?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3382 on: August 06, 2019, 06:03:48 AM »

I went out with a girl last night who didn't know state flags were a thing. She's 28 and was completely unaware that each state had its own flag. I stopped in my tracks and was dumbfounded in complete awe at that fact. That alone has made me not interested in pursuing things further. Do I need to lighten up here?

If that's the only thing, then yea probably.  People don't know random things even things you think are common knowledge.  If she was a total airhead, then I think that's good reason.  If she just doesn't know something, that honestly comes up very little if at all in ones life (I know states have flags, I can't recall what NJ's looks like nor do I know what our state bird is or anything like that), then I think it's pretty rough to give up on her that easily.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3383 on: August 06, 2019, 06:21:52 AM »
I see a world of date-night opportunities though!!

Seriously, I'm of two minds on this, because I'm similar in some ways.  I'll overlook huge things, but - and not really joking here, because sometimes I wish I was - I've broken up with/not gone back out with girls with chipped nail polish.  I don't know what it is, but I have like a phobia with chipped nail polish (I don't mean one little chip, I mean when it gets to the little circle in the middle of the nail kind of thing).  Though I'm not really a fan of any nail polish to be honest.

I think it's whether you see it as a singular thing or a sign of something bigger.  Did she really impress you in other ways? 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3384 on: August 06, 2019, 06:27:56 AM »

To be fair, this is the first time I've seen a discussion on state flags since my high school civics class in junior year which was 11 years ago, and I'm her age. I say cut her some slack on that one.  :lol I know they exist but I couldn't describe any of them to you. I don't even know my state bird or song.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3385 on: August 06, 2019, 06:39:29 AM »

This is probably why I enjoyed Seinfeld so much. Every episode they found new stuff to break up over  :lol

For me, the state flag thing would have raised an eyebrow, but I would have probably probed a little further. If I can suss out and confirm they are an Air head or have no common sense, then that definitely is a deal breaker.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #3386 on: August 06, 2019, 07:14:49 AM »

To be fair, this is the first time I've seen a discussion on state flags since my high school civics class in junior year which was 11 years ago, and I'm her age. I say cut her some slack on that one.  :lol I know they exist but I couldn't describe any of them to you. I don't even know my state bird or song.

Yeah, but that's the kicker. You know they EXIST! And state birds and songs... Bravo my friend! Apparently that bit of "trivia" is beyond her lol.

But in all seriousness, I'll echo others thoughts in deciding whether it was a red flag. If it's an indication of anything more (which it just might be, because I find it very strange to not know of their existence), we can't really say. Are you prepared to be stopped on the street by Jay Leno with a microphone and camera and have your girl not know how many states there are?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3387 on: August 06, 2019, 07:19:43 AM »
Yes, you need to lighten up a bit. Get to know her more. I know they exist because I like to know things and I look stuff up, but not everyone is like that. Maybe she is more interested and more knowledgeable in other topics.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3388 on: August 06, 2019, 07:53:26 AM »
I'd go out with her again, and ask two questions:  "What's the last book you read?" and "That Jenny McCarthy; she's a pip, no?" and see what she says.   If you get any of the following - "Horton Hears A Who", "Oh my god, she's AWESOME what she's doing for the kids with those vaccines!" or "what's a pip?" - excuse yourself to the men's room, slip the waiter $20 to show you the kitchen door, and get out of Dodge!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3389 on: August 06, 2019, 10:24:41 AM »
Yeah, that bit of knowledge alone (or lack thereof) would not be a dealbreaker for me.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3390 on: August 06, 2019, 10:34:15 AM »
I can get behind Chino with this. Something like that would really bug the shit out of me.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3391 on: August 06, 2019, 10:56:01 AM »
Did she have big hands too?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3392 on: August 06, 2019, 12:33:35 PM »
Somewhat related: I remember how my best friend, his girlfriend (or could've been wife at that point) and I were flying to Amsterdam via a connecting flight in Frankfurt four years ago and once we got on the first plane (Moscow - Frankfurt) she said "Frankfurt, that's in France, right?" and I died inside a little bit.

She's a great doctor and a great person, but apparently she just sucks at geography.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3393 on: August 09, 2019, 07:55:33 AM »
I called it off with flag girl. At trivia the other night she thought "4" was an odd number. Not odd as in strange, but odd as in the opposite of even. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3394 on: August 09, 2019, 08:02:29 AM »
I called it off with flag girl. At trivia the other night she thought "4" was an odd number. Not odd as in strange, but odd as in the opposite of even.

Okay, forget what I said, you made the right choice.  :lol