Author Topic: Lonely Hearts Club Thread v. The Strong Grip  (Read 281187 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Lonely Hearts Club Thread v. The Strong Grip
« Reply #3290 on: June 12, 2019, 03:10:52 PM »
I wrote "Dude, I'm proud of you" and then saw Stadler wrote the same thing. So I'll echo everything Stadler said.  :lol I agree 100% with the belief that you have to be at YOUR best to make the relationship the best it can be, and it sounds like you're doing exactly that. Looking out for #1 is important, my man. That's quite a situation to be in and it's tough. Good on ya.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3291 on: June 13, 2019, 06:53:20 AM »

I told her how I felt.  For one, I feel a bit used. Two, I feel like if she can't commit to a relationship then I can't commit to "limbo".  Mentally it's not healthy for me, I really struggled the past couple days just trying to be normal and my emotions are getting the best of me, in every aspect of my life right now.  It's not good. I was feeling better before she reached out, I was starting to overcome the sadness, and now I'm thrown into some situation that I can't handle.  I need it to end, with or without her.  So she left and that's that.

This sounds very much my situation with Victoria after she moved out last July. It was supposed to be for 4 months, then it went to 6, and then it went to 12. At 11 months I finally made the call for her to not even consider moving back in. I spent the better part of last August and September drunk if I wasn't at work, and then binge ate myself through winter.   

I bent over backwards the entire time she lived with me, and even more so once she moved out. It was exhausting in every sense of the word. Someone on Reddit in r/relationship_advice said "Dude, you're setting yourself on fire to keep someone else warm". It really stung, but it helped me decide in all about 3 seconds that it was time to terminate the relationship for good.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3292 on: June 13, 2019, 07:19:28 AM »
"Selfish"; I'm not sure what that means in this context.  That analogy about "fire" is spot on; relationships are supposed to be positive, hopefully exponentially not linearly so, for both of you.  Sure we all have things to work on, but if every moment is YOU spending time worrying about whether SHE'S seeing your "growth" or "evolution", then who's actually being selfish there?

I'm not at all suggesting you get into a pissing match about who's giving more, but I think to an extent these things work or they don't.  You have to put in effort, no doubt, and certainly I would hope you'd all want to be better men, but at some point... if you're not cumulatively better with her this day than you were yesterday, then it's time.   

Proud of both of you, but of course, sorry you're going through any of this. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3293 on: June 13, 2019, 07:21:16 AM »
While I was wallowing in misery during my most recent break up, I stumbled upon studies that show that during a break up, the same areas of the brain light up as someone who is going through drug withdrawal and it really put things into perspective.

https://www.thecut.com/2017/02/why-heartbreak-getting-dumped-feel-so-bad.html

Everyone around me was like "just end it already, don't you see how bad this situation is"

I knew it was bad for me, but when you are literally addicted to someone, its not so simple. And so after each break up I would "relapse" and get back together with her. Thank god I graduated and no longer had to see her everyday. That's what helped me stay broken up. Out of sight, out of mind, and as much as it hurt at the time, my life is so much happier to have put that bad relationship in the past.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3294 on: June 13, 2019, 07:23:37 AM »
Marc... it's not selfish at all, it's self preservation.  If we can't be happy with and love ourselves, we can't love others.  No one was put on this Earth to take care of us (except our parents, and their job is long done), so if we don't take care of our own selves, who does?  Relying on someone else to be our caretaker creates a dependency, which is not healthy for adults.  Like Phoenix intuited, it's tantamount to an addiction.

I'm not well versed in breakups (never had any serious relationships before mrs.jingle), but I am well versed in mental ill/wellness.  The limbo state you referred to would've been exhausting, taxing and draining - to all parts of your life.  It's unfair for anyone to do that to you.  You made the right call.  As I read the last page, I thought you should've made that call last month after her text from vacation - I'm glad it ended up as it did for you, as it appears she's got a lot of work to put into herself.  It honestly sounds as if the two of you would be a hot mess together while you each work on yourselves - for the sake of a rocky relationship.

And I love the fire analogy - heard that for the first time recently from a Jay Shetty vlog.  It's the old airplane/oxygen analogy - you can't/shouldn't take care of anyone else until you take care of yourself first.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3295 on: June 13, 2019, 07:56:27 AM »
... (except our parents, and their job is long done) ...

Can you tell that to my kids?  :)

(I kid; I'm very lucky in that department).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3296 on: June 13, 2019, 08:19:06 AM »
The limbo state you referred to would've been exhausting, taxing and draining - to all parts of your life.

I felt like it was already draining me after a few days, like I said, I immediately the next day felt better.  I mean, I don't feel happy or good about any of this, but I feel better knowing it's over and not in some strange emotional state that was making me unable to function.

This sounds very much my situation with Victoria after she moved out last July. It was supposed to be for 4 months, then it went to 6, and then it went to 12. At 11 months I finally made the call for her to not even consider moving back in. I spent the better part of last August and September drunk if I wasn't at work, and then binge ate myself through winter.   

I bent over backwards the entire time she lived with me, and even more so once she moved out. It was exhausting in every sense of the word. Someone on Reddit in r/relationship_advice said "Dude, you're setting yourself on fire to keep someone else warm". It really stung, but it helped me decide in all about 3 seconds that it was time to terminate the relationship for good.

I have no idea how you did it for that long.  And the timing thing definitely scared me.  I thought OK after her vacation, that would be enough time away to think things over and come back with a fresh mind.  In our discussion the other day, she mentioned maybe this taking the whole summer and even doing a vacation together before she could be in a relationship with me again.  That was a big red flag to me.  Why are you extending this so far and drawing this out?  I didn't think any of that was productive to fixing things.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3297 on: June 13, 2019, 08:30:11 AM »

I have no idea how you did it for that long.  And the timing thing definitely scared me.  I thought OK after her vacation, that would be enough time away to think things over and come back with a fresh mind.  In our discussion the other day, she mentioned maybe this taking the whole summer and even doing a vacation together before she could be in a relationship with me again.  That was a big red flag to me.  Why are you extending this so far and drawing this out?  I didn't think any of that was productive to fixing things.

Screw that. She's either in or she's out. That limbo shit aint right.

My guess is that she wants to string you along, while she looks for someone else. That way, if she's not successful you are the understudy she can fall back on. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I've seen shit like that happen before.

And I agree, its Red flag city
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:36:36 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3298 on: June 13, 2019, 08:33:47 AM »

My guess is that she wants to string you along, while she looks for someone else. That way, if she's not successful you are the understudy she can fall back on. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I've seen shit like that happen before.

+1. F that noise.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3299 on: June 13, 2019, 08:59:41 AM »
I honestly don't believe there's another guy type of thing, I think deep down, she does not want this, but she's struggling with letting go and that's the BS she was putting on me. 

So she had never been in a relationship and was a virgin.  My mother definitely believes she wants to go out and explore more because she hasn't experienced anything.  I do think that's probably part of it but she had never expressed this and I even brought it up.  Of course she might not admit to it, but I think "another guy" is low on the totem pole here.  But relationship inexperience is definitely high.

Whatever, I'm just wanting to move on.  I've got a lot of awesome things planned in the coming months, would have loved to have experienced these things with her, but life goes on and although things suck right now and have been sucking, I want to move onto the brighter things on the horizon.  Such as two days on the Atlantic City beach for Warped Tour with some of my favorite bands in a few weeks  :yarr , a weekend with Iron Maiden in brooklyn in July, a work trip to Amsterdam for a couple weeks in august, my friends wedding in august, progpower in September...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3300 on: June 13, 2019, 09:00:44 AM »
You're a strong independent man and you don't need no woman to hold you down. Get it, son!  :hat

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #3301 on: June 13, 2019, 12:54:42 PM »
You're a strong independent man and you don't need no woman to hold you down. Get it, son!  :hat
:rollin These are indeed interesting times we live in...

"Women are just intimidated by a strong independent man that can pay his own bills!" :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3302 on: June 13, 2019, 02:23:33 PM »
:rollin These are indeed interesting times we live in...

"Women are just intimidated by a strong independent man that can pay his own bills!" :biggrin:

Did anyone else read that last part as "play with his own balls" ??

No? 

Just me?

Okey dokey then.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3303 on: June 14, 2019, 06:33:39 AM »
^ Of course, now I can't UNREAD that.  ;)  :)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3304 on: June 15, 2019, 04:22:00 PM »

And I agree, its Red flag city

I agree with this. Even if she doesn't have someone else in mind she may not want to be in a relationship, especially if she has never been in a relationship. I can see it from her side too, I couldn't imagine going through life being in a relationship with one person.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3305 on: June 25, 2019, 02:16:20 PM »
Just to update...

there is no update!  I think the saga truly is over.  And I am OK with that.  It's been one of the roughest 5 weeks or so of my life, but I think I'm really starting to get over it.  It just hurts the most laying in bed at night, not having anyone to say "goodnight" to.  I've had struggles sleeping, but I think overall, my depression is fading.  I'm seeing a light at the end of the tunnel here.  It was super nice to spend a lot of time over the weekend with my entire family (parents came up from Florida for my niece's birthdays) and saw extended family for the first time since the break up.  Get some of those awkward moments out of the way with the people who don't see you enough to know what's going on or the ones who have heard through the grapevine but haven't seen me yet.  Just getting it all over with is nice, I don't want to keep answering questions about my past, I want to look to my future. 

Anyway, one thing everyone mentioned was how it looked like I lost weight  :tup yup been working hard at that.  My mom said something along the lines of me looking better than I had in many years (could be mom being mom, but I look in the mirror and feel that way too).  I feel like internally I set up some goals for myself to work on and working at that has been helpful to my depression and hearing it from others was a nice positive response. 

I don't yet have any desire to go out looking for girls, I want to keep working on myself, but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't mind meeting someone cool this weekend at Warped Tour in AC

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3306 on: June 26, 2019, 07:00:20 AM »
Good for you Cram  :tup Weightloss hase been going much easier for me as well. I got into a size 38 jeans the other day for the first time in like 6 or 7 years.   

I've been hitting the dating apps hard. I've gone out with five girls in less than three weeks. It's rough out there, man. I hate putting so much emphasis on financials, but it's bleak. Three of the five were absolutely drowning in student loan debt in excess of $70K. All were over the age of 27 (I'm 30). Three of them were still living at home, one was living with and was splitting the rent of an apartment with her brother, and the last one was still living with her ex boyfriend because neither could afford to move out on their own. 

One of the girls was really cool though and we had a second date last night. She's the only one I felt like seeing a second time.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 07:08:43 AM by Chino »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3307 on: June 26, 2019, 07:12:05 AM »
Atta boy cram  :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3308 on: June 26, 2019, 07:36:53 AM »
Yea Chino, I was thinking the dating game is going to be really tough to get back into.  I'm not ready yet so I'm not on any app, but I figure eventually I will be.  But hey you had a nice second date, that's what it's about, finding the one in the sea I guess.  I do recall, it was only 3 years ago I was last on tinder, that the prospects of a solid no strings attached, independent, smart woman is practically zero as they are all married by now.  A reason why I ended up going for a much younger girl last time, but now I'm getting close to 35 and one of my fears when thinking about being single now was that the "sea" is much smaller now.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3309 on: June 26, 2019, 07:53:12 AM »
Yea Chino, I was thinking the dating game is going to be really tough to get back into.  I'm not ready yet so I'm not on any app, but I figure eventually I will be.  But hey you had a nice second date, that's what it's about, finding the one in the sea I guess.  I do recall, it was only 3 years ago I was last on tinder, that the prospects of a solid no strings attached, independent, smart woman is practically zero as they are all married by now.  A reason why I ended up going for a much younger girl last time, but now I'm getting close to 35 and one of my fears when thinking about being single now was that the "sea" is much smaller now.

At the risk of being insensitive... I wouldn't assume.   It's been four years now for me, but I know when I was post-divorce, it was an eye-opener.   Not on purpose, but by process of elimination, I kind of stuck to over 30, under 50-ish (I was 47 at the time).    There seemed to be three main "groups":   one, that were still living a fantasy world; they were only interested in tall (6'0" or better), dark, and handsome, despite no longer having their cheerleader figure themselves (I'm being facetious, but you get the gist).   Two, were just the oddballs.  You be you and all that, fully supportive, but they were living in an alternate reality and just not for me (this was a relatively small group).  Three, the women that married the high school sweetheart, had a couple kids, and was now dealing with a newly ex-husband that hadn't intellectually progressed much from high school (and might even be a little abusive; unless these women were telling stories, and I have no reason to believe they were, there are a lot of frustrated, bitter men out there).  For various reasons, all legit, most of these didn't work out, but in an alternate world I would have made a ton of friends from this last group (and you can define "friend" however you want; another thing I found?  Lots of sexual frustration out there as well).  Decent people, many of them still very attractive, and just looking for someone to treat them fairly and with respect.   Yeah, maybe some baggage (for me, I found I gravitated to women with children, because I had a daughter myself; there was one girl who was a prize on every level, but didn't want children and didn't have a clue what it meant to be a parent, and I couldn't take the chance with my daughter at middle school age) but the upside may out weigh that.

(Look, I know I'm generalizing a bit here, but I mean it in good faith and with respect; the point is that there ARE good people out there and its just a matter of finding them, and hopefully maintaining your dignity and self-respect until you do.)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3310 on: June 26, 2019, 08:17:38 AM »
Oh totally, just "feels" like it will be harder than last time, but what do I know?  I haven't put my feet back into the water.  I do know this, I am much stronger at approaching and talking to women than I had ever been before.  I know I have a lot to offer.  So once I lose some weight and gain back some confidence in how I look and feel, I don't expect issues with finding women, just finding the right one sort of like Chino's boat.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3311 on: June 28, 2019, 06:28:59 AM »
Had one of my potential prospects go down in flames last night, and I'm having trouble deciding if I was the asshole or not (probably was).

I connected pretty good with one girl. Been talking to her for ten days or so, been on two dates, macked it pretty hard, etc.. At one point on one of the dates, we got on the conversation of her dad's boat, a 28 footer he keeps down at a marina. She pulled out her phone to show me a picture on her Instagram and I committed her username to memory.

This allowed me to find her on all of the social media platforms with ease, none of which were locked down in any capacity in the privacy setting department. Now, I don't like to judge, but I am a firm believer in the idea that there are recognizable, repeating, and predictable behavioral trends throughout society based on how one uses social media.

Keep in mind, this girl is 29 and still living at home. Starting with her Instagram account, she was following 2200+ people/pages and was being followed by 900+. She had over 3000 uploads. Whether right or wrong, that is a huge red flag to me. This indicates that at the very least, she's a social media addict/whore, and any girl I've known (outside of business owners) that has had those kind of metrics has been batshit crazy and not the sharpest tool in the drawer.

Now, getting to her Facebook page. Most of you know where I stand politically. I knew from the beginning that this girl was a "country girl" despite living in North Haven CT her entire life. Once I tracked her down on Facebook, her wall was filled with the types of posts that make me roll my eyes and unfollow/unfriend people. One post being a picture of our former governor's face in cross hairs with a caption (written by her, not on the photo itself like a meme) saying "give me tolls and I'll give you something". Another post was a picture of footballs players kneeling with some "I wouldn't just fire you, I'd tar you in the streets and then hang you". Then there was the hundred of photo uploads of "pray for _______", blue lives matters, and the "I' stand" bullshit.

I was pretty upfront with her. I explained that I saw some posts she made on Facebook and I was worried she wouldn't like where I stood on a lot of issues. I went on to basically say "This is where I stand on a lot of hot button issues" and proceeded to list them all. She replied with a "I'm not really into politics (despite her FB page being flooded with the contrary), and we def don't see eye to eye on some of those things. They aren't deal breakers for me, and as long as we agree to never discuss politics, I don't have a problem with it. I guess this is on you". I went on to explain that at this stage of my life, my mind is on financial stability and starting a family. While where we both stand on issues isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me persae, I fear that disagreements on what politics revolves around could make raising children problematic. I told her my last relationship blew apart because there were fundamental conflicting views on life that we brushed under the rug in the beginning stages, and they didn't stay there. I said something like "Because we didn't address those thoughts and feelings early on, I feel like I ended up wasting almost 7 years of my life. I can't afford to do that again".

She got pissed. Gave me a "Wow. I don't know how to reply to that. Just wow. Nite".   

Also, and maybe this is me just being petty here, but I took her out twice to the tune of about $160. Some of you know where I'm at right now, having to work two jobs to keep the house while trying to pay down the hydroponic endeavor debt I put myself in. She didn't say thank you either night. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but those are basic manners.

I honestly have no interest in pursuing this further, but I also don't like being a dick.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 06:42:56 AM by Chino »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3312 on: June 28, 2019, 06:42:12 AM »
Being honest in the earliest stages of a relationship =/= being a dick.  IMO, you were true to yourself, which is NEVER the wrong thing to do.  I don't see you being an asshole in this scenario.  If all you were looking for in a relationship was a fun-time, some shaggin and romantic companionship, then one can overlook the issues you outlined.  That's not where you're at.  There's a common saying/philosophy in many businesses - 'fail fast', or get to 'no' quickly.  You did that, and good on ya.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3313 on: June 28, 2019, 06:45:14 AM »
You're not a dick.  What's important to you in a relationship shouldn't be sacrificed - my wife and I agreed on politics when we met.  We each knew that we wouldn't want to date someone with different political views.  You have every right to talk about that, and if she suggests that you just ignore her political views, well, it's probably never going to work. 

People assume that social media can't bite them in the ass, and if they made a bunch of things public, well that's their problem when it rears it's head and causes a problem.

The only way you should feel bad is if you mocked her for those political views, rather than just saying "I don't agree with them, and I think it could cause a problem later on."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3314 on: June 28, 2019, 07:26:36 AM »
For one, you didn't do anything wrong by bringing this up and it seems you did so respectfully and even with a willingness to put it aside assuming you both were on the same page.  To me, that's a great move and being a gentleman (also paying so much on two dates).  Classy in my mind.  However, her non response might be due to some shock of bringing up children and raising a family on a second date.  Being she's a social media whore, she probably isn't right on that page yet for a second date discussion.  And having said that, it's probably better than that you two just ended it now before it got any worse because if you can't handle a conversation now, you won't later. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3315 on: June 28, 2019, 07:36:02 AM »
Thanks dudes. The feedback is appreciated.

For one, you didn't do anything wrong by bringing this up and it seems you did so respectfully and even with a willingness to put it aside assuming you both were on the same page.  To me, that's a great move and being a gentleman (also paying so much on two dates).  Classy in my mind.  However, her non response might be due to some shock of bringing up children and raising a family on a second date.  Being she's a social media whore, she probably isn't right on that page yet for a second date discussion.  And having said that, it's probably better than that you two just ended it now before it got any worse because if you can't handle a conversation now, you won't later.

Just to clarify, I didn't bring it up on the second date itself, but rather two nights after (last night) in a text conversation.

After the initial FB acknowledgement, I opened my next message with "I hope this doesn't freak you out, but at this stage of my life I have to approach all relationships with the long term in the back of my mind. Things like financial stability, health, career paths, and especially children are all things I need to take into consideration from the very beginning. One of my biggest fears is bringing children into this world and then having to force them to watch their mother and father self destruct because they couldn't talk about certain things in the early stages of their relationship".

If that's too much for a 29 year old (who's Bumble profile says she wants kids) to handle, then I don't know what to say. I couldn't be any more honest or mature about that as far as I'm concerned.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3316 on: June 28, 2019, 07:39:00 AM »
Yea I agree with you, but with only knowing what I know, that's my thought, that type of statement was too much for her.  A lot of people cannot cope with a real conversation

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3317 on: June 28, 2019, 07:51:56 AM »
Bro, you have to be true to YOU.  If you can't/don't want to handle that in your relationship, JET.   If you want stability and don't feel it, JET.   I admire that you have a conscience and empathy, and so you feel bad, but I wouldn't waste one more word apologizing or agonizing about this.   

Maybe it's my age, but I'm LONG past the "there's only one true spirit for me" idea.   Yeah, there may be someone out there that is a half a step above, but in terms of creating a good life, in terms of raising good, moral children, in terms of a stable family unit, you have to have faith in humanity.   If not her, someone else.   

Having said all that....  I do think you have to be honest with YOURSELF first.  If "I hate Obummer!" is a dealbreaker, fine and respect.   But I know for me, I've winnowed down my "dealbreaker" list to a pretty manageable number, and for all I post on P/R, I really do not give a shit what the politics are of my mate.  My big dealbreaker?  Honesty.  NO, I don't need to know every last detail of my wife's life.  I have trust, and I have an understanding that she needs her world and her space.   But there are issues that don't get secrecy - we've pledged a monogamous relationship, and if we stray from that it should be with full knowledge and acquiesence of the other - and if there is a question that I DO ask, I best get an honest answer, unvarnished.   TMI, we've struggled a little bit with that (the latter, not fidelity), but the point is, only you can set your lines, and only you can stick to them.  Do it, without apology.   

EDIT:  Oh, and if it hasn't been said before, I approach "dating profiles" the way I approach "The Lord Of The Rings" or "Song Of Ice And Fire"; fiction that I choose to immerse myself in.    There are a LOT of people in this world whose main trait is a lack of personal honesty.   You find out soon enough where the truth lies (as you did) but I use(d) dating profiles as a high level target and a roadmap for conversation more than anything substantive.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3318 on: June 28, 2019, 07:53:49 AM »
My general test of compatibility is easy. I show them 5-10 posts by Stadler and see if they agree with him.

If they do? I'm gone.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3319 on: June 28, 2019, 07:55:38 AM »
My general test of compatibility is easy. I show them 5-10 posts by Stadler and see if they agree with him.

If they do? I'm gone.

Your loss.  Apparently you don't like intellectual women.  ;0  ;)  :) 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3320 on: June 28, 2019, 07:57:05 AM »

If they do? I'm gone.

Your loss.  Apparently you don't like intellectual women.  ;0  ;)  :)

There is an exception to my test though. If they say they agree, but begin bleeding out of their ears or eyes because of the pain it causes them to do so, I let it slide.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3321 on: June 28, 2019, 08:03:02 AM »

Having said all that....  I do think you have to be honest with YOURSELF first.  If "I hate Obummer!" is a dealbreaker, fine and respect.   But I know for me, I've winnowed down my "dealbreaker" list to a pretty manageable number, and for all I post on P/R, I really do not give a shit what the politics are of my mate.  My big dealbreaker?  Honesty.  NO, I don't need to know every last detail of my wife's life.  I have trust, and I have an understanding that she needs her world and her space.   But there are issues that don't get secrecy - we've pledged a monogamous relationship, and if we stray from that it should be with full knowledge and acquiesence of the other - and if there is a question that I DO ask, I best get an honest answer, unvarnished.   TMI, we've struggled a little bit with that (the latter, not fidelity), but the point is, only you can set your lines, and only you can stick to them.  Do it, without apology.   

That's what I was trying to get across, and I don't think she understood it. For example, she might not think, from a political standpoint, that children should have to be vaccinated to attend public schools. But if she believes that children don't need vaccinations, that a deal breaker. Maybe she doesn't think that the government should subsidize wind, solar, and nuclear energy. Is it because of her views on government spending, or because she thinks climate change is a hoax? She's got photos of herself literally wrapped in the flag in the bed of a pickup truck  :lol I don't want to teach my kids to blindly follow and pledge allegiance to something just because.

At the end of the day, it's not the "politics" that are the dealbreakers for me. It's the underlying ideology, the train of thought, and how one goes about inquiring information about that world that influences one political views that I worry about. And again, it comes down to once kids are in the mix.

I mean, think however you want about governor Malloy. The dude was kind of a turd. If you're dumb enough, in today's climate, to post pictures of his face in cross hairs with a caption that could easily be perceived as a threat. I want nothing to do with you. If nothing else, you're a moron. She works in sales at an aerospace company that supplies parts for the military, and she's never heard of SpaceX.... I mean, how? Does she live under a rock? And that ties back to my social media addiction comment earlier. Unless you avoid news at all costs, there should be no reason why you wouldn't at least know the company's name. Her entire worldview must be being formed by Instagram and Facebook, and that's something I'm not interested in. I want someone who's curious.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3322 on: June 28, 2019, 08:03:49 AM »

If they do? I'm gone.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3323 on: June 28, 2019, 08:14:47 AM »
If nothing else, you're a moron.     

I want someone who's curious.

Yup and yup.  Your conversation totally exposed her for being a moron (I didn't even need to read about the spacex before thinking that  :lol) and its much better to find out on date 2 than later but also, you clearly want something else so another reason why this is actually a good thing I think.  I mean, maybe it would be nice to get laid  :lol but based on what you are looking for, she doesn't match and you found that out so keep on movin. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3324 on: June 28, 2019, 08:19:15 AM »
I mean, think however you want about governor Malloy. The dude was kind of a turd. If you're dumb enough, in today's climate, to post pictures of his face in cross hairs with a caption that could easily be perceived as a threat. I want nothing to do with you. If nothing else, you're a moron. She works in sales at an aerospace company that supplies parts for the military, and she's never heard of SpaceX.... I mean, how? Does she live under a rock? And that ties back to my social media addiction comment earlier. Unless you avoid news at all costs, there should be no reason why you wouldn't at least know the company's name. Her entire worldview must be being formed by Instagram and Facebook, and that's something I'm not interested in. I want someone who's curious.

For what it's worth, I agree with you 100% on this point.  Love him or hate him, address the points with maturity, not gunsights.  That shows a deep sense of tone-deafness to the circumstances we live in (if she's in North Haven, she's not 30 miles from Sandy Hook), and would, to me, seem to be a red flag of what I said about "personal honesty" (though to be fair, I've never met her, so I'm going off your post).