Author Topic: The cat appreciation thread  (Read 14225 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My wife is a cabriolet
Re: The cat appreciation thread
« Reply #280 on: November 29, 2019, 07:37:51 AM »
Putting up the Christmas tree this morning and I'm missing Maggie pretty hard. You see, she loved the Christmas tree and for the past 18 years she's been my constant shadow as soon as I drug the box in from the garage. She would be underfoot the entire time I was setting it up and trimming the tree. From the day after Thanksgiving until we took the tree down after New Years, she could generally be found napping under the branches. I would come home from work and find ornaments in the middle of the living room floor, package ribbons shredded, and the lower branches chewed on. When it was finally all put away, she would bitch at me for it absence until mid-January.

Online kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #281 on: November 29, 2019, 07:45:26 AM »
I'm dreading the day we have to put our 2 cats down Gregg.  Brother and sister.  15 years old.  Those little moments that they touch you, you'll never forget.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kattelox

• Son of a Shepherd and Head of Urban Rangers
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Filthy animals do not belong in Rolf's shed!
« Reply #282 on: November 29, 2019, 08:07:49 AM »
Aw man, Podaar :(
DOWN, LOWER, BELOW, AT THE BOTTOM, WHERE THE TRAIN OBSERVES YOU
RYM | Last.FM | Top 50 Albums

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My wife is a cabriolet
« Reply #283 on: November 29, 2019, 08:12:42 AM »
Yeah, I know.

I got the tree put up and the lights all checked. I'm leaving the trimming to Mrs. P and middle-daughter. I just can't bare it this year. Thankfully, we're flying out to Palm Springs tomorrow morning so I can avoid thinking about it for a week.  :)

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #284 on: November 30, 2019, 09:18:29 AM »
I hear ya, Podaar. It was the same with us and Watson this year.  J and I have never had a Christmas without him, and putting up the tree yesterday was very bittersweet (his urn is about eight feet away from the tree, on top of the shelf we were always yelling at him about getting on).  We still have the other two cats, but neither of them have the, uh, "Christmas spirit" that Watson did.

He's been gone three months, but I think the holidays are going to be tough.  Thanksgiving was weird, without him being underfoot and/or countersurfing throughout prep.  Nobody had to guard the turkey. We ate in piece without him demanding to be fed scraps from the table. He wasn't trying to pull the tinsel out of our hands, or nest in the ornament box.  He wasn't there to get pissed that we got an artificial tree (so, no tree basin to drink from).  We won't be there to jump/hide in wrapping paper, or to "help" me build a fire.  And in a couple of days, we'll have our first snow...his favorite thing in the world was to sit in a window and go nuts for the big, slowly falling flakes. I'm sure we'll cry.

I've seen it put that you can divide people into two categories..."order muppets" (e.g. kermit) and "chaos muppets" (e.g. Animal, Cookie Monster), and I think the same can be said of pets. Even approaching 15, he was a chaos muppet.  It;s too quiet, too predictable without that.  Even if the other two are quite happy with him gone, we may need to add a little chaos back into the mix soon...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Harmony

« Reply #285 on: November 30, 2019, 09:27:07 AM »
We are really missing our boy this holiday season as well.  It's weird how 7 months later, I find myself thinking I caught a glimpse of him out of the corner of my eye or looking at his favorite spot and being sure he's there before I remember.   :'(

Offline Nick

• Call Kenny Loggins
  • Global Moderator
  • Cause you're in the danger zone
    • My Radio Show!
« Reply #286 on: December 01, 2019, 12:59:36 PM »
Here's a photo dump that includes recent shots of our 4 cats, a foster we had for a few weeks, and one of the neighbor's cats.

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #287 on: December 01, 2019, 07:13:27 PM »
Here's a photo dump that includes recent shots of our 4 cats, a foster we had for a few weeks, and one of the neighbor's cats.

So your'e saying that *you're* the crazy cat-house/couple on the street?
if I want ice cream or a chocolate or a cake, I fucking have it
Can you imagine some alien race comes to a large nebula they've never seen before, and it just turns out it's the Federation's dumping ground for space-smile?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #288 on: December 02, 2019, 09:01:46 AM »
great stuff   love to all animals
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #289 on: December 02, 2019, 09:11:39 AM »
Sorry for your feline friend losses this year Podaar, Millahh, and Harmony

Here's my Buddy this morning, frozen in this position which is weird because he never sits still for a picture but I found him frozen in this position and he stayed long enough for me to get my phone and take a picture... and then he moved. 

Offline Nick

• Call Kenny Loggins
  • Global Moderator
  • Cause you're in the danger zone
    • My Radio Show!
« Reply #290 on: December 02, 2019, 09:23:54 PM »

So your'e saying that *you're* the crazy cat-house/couple on the street?

Unapologetically yes.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Harmony

« Reply #291 on: December 04, 2019, 02:28:56 PM »
Beautiful big cats there boys.   :heart

So we let our 12 year old adopted cat, Willow, open her Christmas present early this year.  She is obsessed with scratching her chin and gums on things.  So I was sure she'd love this:

She couldn't be less interested.  We even rubbed cat nip on the base.  Nope.  F-ing cats, man.   ::) :lol

Edit to add a photo of her so you can see why we forgive her flaws  :heart

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 02:41:34 PM by Harmony »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #292 on: December 04, 2019, 02:31:38 PM »
Cats being cats  :lol

Offline PetFish

« Reply #293 on: December 04, 2019, 05:20:02 PM »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #294 on: December 10, 2019, 08:30:04 PM »
I'm dreading the day we have to put our 2 cats down Gregg.  Brother and sister.  15 years old.  Those little moments that they touch you, you'll never forget.

Our cat is 15 also and has been eating a lot but continuing to lose weight  :-\. Afraid it could be expensive to treat.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #295 on: December 11, 2019, 05:37:18 AM »

Our cat is 15 also and has been eating a lot but continuing to lose weight  :-\. Afraid it could be expensive to treat.

Had a cat like that and it was hyperthyroidism. 1 pill a day and they weren't that expensive.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #296 on: December 11, 2019, 07:13:21 AM »

Had a cat like that and it was hyperthyroidism. 1 pill a day and they weren't that expensive.

Fingers crossed for this, Watson was 14, eating a lot and losing weight (from 12 lbs down to 8.5 lbs).  It...wasn't hyperthyroidism, I'll say that.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #297 on: December 17, 2019, 12:37:56 PM »

LOVE IT
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"