Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 98353 times)

Offline masterthes

Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #2380 on: May 15, 2019, 01:41:22 PM »
It was hard getting back into Interview with a Vampire because of the shift Anne Rice decided to make in the second book by making Lestat the protagonist of the series, so I'm going to get my trivia on instead with An Underground Education by Richard Zacks

Offline SchecterShredder

« Reply #2381 on: May 17, 2019, 01:17:03 PM »
Has anyone here read Butcher's Codex Alera series? If so, what are your opinions?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2382 on: May 18, 2019, 04:54:47 AM »
I did a few years ago, wasn't too fond of it to be honest. Felt like generic fantasy novels at best.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2383 on: May 19, 2019, 10:32:37 AM »
The Life of Elizabeth I by Alison Weir. I absolutely loved her book on the Six Wives of Henry VIII. Hopefully, I'll get the same reaction from this

Offline Kattelox

• Heart of an Eagle
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2384 on: May 19, 2019, 01:21:49 PM »
GRRM - A Game of Thrones

Bought it once again, first time attempting to read them since I got into the show all those years ago - let's do it.  :metal
RYM || Last.FM
"Power resides where men believe it resides. It's a trick, a shadow on the wall." - Varys, Game of Thrones

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2385 on: May 19, 2019, 02:36:25 PM »
GRRM - A Game of Thrones

Bought it once again, first time attempting to read them since I got into the show all those years ago - let's do it.  :metal

Me too, and I am loving it so far. On book one right now and hopefully by the time I finish all of them, winds of winter will be out.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 03:23:42 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2386 on: May 19, 2019, 03:22:31 PM »
Oh my sweet summer child.

I don't really read much anymore but I do listen to audiobooks, and I am listening to "Heroes: Mortals and Monsters, Quests and Adventures" by Stephen Fry, which is his second book retelling the Greek Mythology, and "Overlord" by Max Hastings, which is about the D-day landings and the invasion of europe in 1944.

Offline Kattelox

• Heart of an Eagle
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2387 on: May 21, 2019, 07:55:18 AM »
Oh lord. A Game of Thrones is great.

I think I know what put me off the first time, and it's a combination of two things. 1) An odd and somewhat creepy focus on sexual behavior with young characters. Viserys running his hands over Dany's body - she's 13 - and pinching her nipple, and then the talk of perfuming her genitals. It's just weird. I don't need that with my 13 year old character, thanks. I know there's worse coming, but that was one of the reasons I got turned off prior to watching the show. 2) An overwhelming amount of ASOIAF-specific terminology. Fantasy that frontloads the first few chapters with all that terminology really makes it hard for me to get into the story, and I remember having an issue with that during Bran and Catelyn's first chapter, trying to visualize all these words that I don't really have any basis for.

Having seen the show, it really made opening that book for the umpteenth time way easier, and reading the early chapters has for the first time not been exhausting.

I am excited to see where this takes me and I hope to finish it this weekend.
RYM || Last.FM
"Power resides where men believe it resides. It's a trick, a shadow on the wall." - Varys, Game of Thrones

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2388 on: May 21, 2019, 10:43:50 AM »
I think GRRM planned the young protagonists' ages according to his original plan of having five years gap in the middle of the series, but that got scrapped later. I think he might've even admitted he screwed up a bit on the ages and wished some Stark children and the rest of young folks in the series were a bit older. I may be wrong though, and I'm not going to look for the exact quote either. :)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2389 on: May 21, 2019, 12:33:18 PM »
I read something along what evermind said too, and in our medieval times it wasn't that much different. People were "adults" in young ages and died of old age with maybe 35 years.

And then Viserys is supposed to be creepy.

Offline Kattelox

• Heart of an Eagle
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2390 on: May 23, 2019, 07:13:29 AM »
Yeah, the ages thing makes sense, it's just reading about the sexualization of young women that I don't like reading about. But I get it, I really do. My favorite thing about the book so far - still not halfway in - is Ned's first chapter. The dialogue between Robert and Ned is so damn good. I just wish Robert's first line was that of the show's - "You got fat" :)

And unlike the other times I've tried reading, GRRM's writing hasn't bugged me yet. I know people mock his apparent tendency to write about food but that hasn't happened yet.
RYM || Last.FM

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #2391 on: May 23, 2019, 01:00:37 PM »
An overwhelming amount of ASOIAF-specific terminology. Fantasy that frontloads the first few chapters with all that terminology really makes it hard for me to get into the story...

I normally feel the exact same way but I never had problem with this series. From the beginning I felt like I was right in the middle of Westeros as a welcome citizen, not an anachronistic visitor from afar.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2392 on: May 23, 2019, 01:14:25 PM »
Dark Sacred Night by Michael Connelly
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.