Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 292181 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #4270 on: January 27, 2024, 06:34:06 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation, have added it to my wish list.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4271 on: January 28, 2024, 10:36:39 AM »
Finally broke my reading slump.

Finished The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. Really enjoyed it but could have used some trimming in the middle.

Listened to the audiobook Carsick: John Waters Hitchhikes Across America narrated by the man himself. If you like John Waters sense of humor you'll enjoy this one. As soon as I saw he narrated it himself I had to get it even though I'm not normally an audiobook guy.

Currently continuing my journey through The Adversary Cycle with Reborn by F. Paul Wilson
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4272 on: January 28, 2024, 06:06:21 PM »
Finished The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. Really enjoyed it but could have used some trimming in the middle.

lol just wait until the next 11 books. :lol

I read Children of Memory by Adrian Tchaikovsky recently. It took a bit of a different approach than the previous two and felt a little meandering at times, but I think it pulled together incredibly well at the end and might be my favorite of the series now. Tchaikovsky in general continues to be one of the best science fiction authors today, I think.

Also reading Ada Palmer's Seven Surrenders, the sequel to Too Like the Lightning. Still completely insane, I don't even know how to describe these books. You get sucked into the politicking and the inner workings of all the factions of the future society and the details of the flying car system and Mycroft's disingenuous narrative, and then you'll be reminded, oh yeah, this is a story about a kid who can do magic and a character who is literally God from other universe. Still, would recommend.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #4273 on: January 28, 2024, 08:33:52 PM »
The Wisdom of Crowds by Joe Abercrombie
Really good stuff, can't wait to see what Joe writes next. Now, currently reading Why We Love Baseball: A History in 50 Moments by Joe Posnanski. I'm also working my way through Arguably: Essays by Christopher Hitchens

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4274 on: January 28, 2024, 09:08:24 PM »

lol just wait until the next 11 books. :lol

Oh I'm now well aware of what I'm in for lol
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4275 on: January 29, 2024, 07:11:36 AM »
I'm gonna do a running list for the year like the concert thread. So here's what I've got for Jan 2024:

The Measure by Nikki Erlick
 Interesting plot and concept, but humanity is ever predictable - 4.0

The Poppy War #1 by R.F. Kuang
 Didn't enjoy this as much as Babel by the same author, but interested in the world. Will keep reading the series - 3.75

Upgrade by Blake Crouch
 Not as good as other works by the author, but a fast, easy, and entertaining read - 3.5

Unexpected Stories by Octavia E. Butler
 Short stories that were meh - 3.0

Long Chills and Case Dough by Brandon Sanderson
 Silly and fun, would love more from this world/lead character - 4.25

Iron Flame - The Empyrean #2 by Rebecca Yarros
 I think it got a little lost in its own plot, but a solid second book to the series - 4.0

A Conjuring of Light - Shades of Magic #3 by V.E. Schwab
 Still not sure I enjoyed this. The main characters from the first two books almost became side characters. Actually, it was like there was no lead characters anymore. Meh - 3.25

The Gathering Storm - The Wheel of Time #12 by Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan
 Such a breath of fresh air from the slog of 5-11. Brandon Sanderson makes these books easier to read while still being respectful of Robert Jordan. Also don't think I cringed at any mention of neck or hem lines - 3.75

Currently reading:
Towers of Midnight by Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan
The Will of the Many by James Islington

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #4276 on: January 29, 2024, 01:52:46 PM »
Ursula Le Guin - The Eye of the Heron

doing PKD - A Maze of Death, now
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4277 on: January 30, 2024, 01:26:36 PM »
Reading Paul O'Neill's autobiography (New York Yankees outfielder), along with a re-read of The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. (Dragonlance is my favorite fantasy series, I try to re-read the core books every five or six years.) I have a few other things out there too.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #4278 on: January 30, 2024, 02:05:10 PM »
The Wisdom of Crowds by Joe Abercrombie
Now, currently reading Why We Love Baseball: A History in 50 Moments by Joe Posnanski.
this was really great. If you're a baseball fan, highly recommend. Now, reading Slewfoot by Brom. This guy has pretty much been 3 for 3 for me so far

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4279 on: January 30, 2024, 09:26:50 PM »
I finished Reborn by F. Paul Wilson and I overall really liked it but for me it had some issues. I feel like I just read a 365 page prologue. Like a prequel to something I should have already read. Don't get me wrong it's a good prologue with great pacing, likeable characters and an interesting enough story with an off the rails 3rd act but the ending just kinda happens with many plot threads left up in the air to be picked up in Reprisal. It ties up just enough stuff to justify the book ending but it might as well have TO BE CONTINUED slapped on the last page.

Guess it did it's job well enough because I was going to read Necroscope IV: Deadspeak by Brian Lumley who passed away earlier this month but I'm just going to jump right into Reprisal instead.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4280 on: January 31, 2024, 03:36:51 PM »
The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #4281 on: February 01, 2024, 04:27:08 AM »
Stephen King reread time with 'Salem's Lot

« Reply #4282 on: February 03, 2024, 07:10:58 PM »
on my first read of Slaughterhouse-Five
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4283 on: February 03, 2024, 10:59:52 PM »
Well I finished Reprisal by F. Paul Wilson and I guess I gotta delay Necroscope IV once again to dive into my OG unrevised copy of Nightworld.

Reprisal might have some of the most unsettling sequences I've read from him so far.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4284 on: February 04, 2024, 08:18:31 AM »
on my first read of Slaughterhouse-Five

I need to read this soon.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #4285 on: February 04, 2024, 09:17:54 AM »
Stephen King reread time with 'Salem's Lot
Finished this in two and a half days. Definite upgrade. Moving on to The Tyranny of Faith by Richard Swan

« Reply #4286 on: February 04, 2024, 10:25:27 AM »
i finished slaughterhouse-five. holy
shit what a book
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4287 on: February 10, 2024, 05:13:01 AM »
Death's End by Cixin Liu
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #4288 on: February 10, 2024, 07:03:43 AM »
Philip K Dick - The Man Who Japed
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4289 on: February 10, 2024, 09:26:06 AM »
Death's End by Cixin Liu

I'm really struggling with this one. Still hasn't finished although I've got only about 100 pages to go.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4290 on: February 10, 2024, 10:47:47 AM »
Death's End by Cixin Liu

I'm really struggling with this one. Still hasn't finished although I've got only about 100 pages to go.
Literally just started it this morning.  The opening chapter in Constantinople was weird, but excited to see where it goes after the end of The Dark Forest.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4291 on: February 10, 2024, 10:50:53 AM »
Death's End by Cixin Liu

Literally just started it this morning.  The opening chapter in Constantinople was weird, but excited to see where it goes after the end of The Dark Forest.

My problem with it is that at some point it reads like a history book. There are some good character interactions but otherwise it's basically the author narrating what happened through the years. There are some good sci-fi concepts though so I'm not saying the book sucks—but for me, it's very difficult to digest.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #4292 on: February 13, 2024, 08:05:03 AM »
The Trials of Empire by Richard Swan

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4293 on: February 13, 2024, 08:09:43 AM »
Finishing the Riftwar Saga with A Darkness At Sethanon by Raymond E. Feist

Was still enjoyable but I liked the first one Magician of the trilogy the best.

Now reading The Last Wish by Andrzeij Sapkowski.

If you want to read an interesting and excellent Feist book, try Faerie Tale

I've just started this, let's see how it turns out.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4294 on: February 13, 2024, 10:53:08 AM »
Death's End by Cixin Liu

My problem with it is that at some point it reads like a history book. There are some good character interactions but otherwise it's basically the author narrating what happened through the years. There are some good sci-fi concepts though so I'm not saying the book sucks—but for me, it's very difficult to digest.

And done. First book I really liked, second book was alright, the third book wasn't for me. Still, some interesting stuff there.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4295 on: February 13, 2024, 11:00:25 PM »
I finished Nightworld by F. Paul Wilson (original unrevised edition.) Overall I really enjoyed it and he weaves in characters from previously unrelated stories well. Does get kind Dark Tower-ish in the sense that while I thought the wrap up was satisfying enough some plot threads end a bit too abruptly and are a bit anticlimactic. Oh and one character Hank was completely useless and could have been cut entirely.

Then I read All the Sinners Bleed by S.A Cosby. So far Cosby is 4 for 4 with me as I loved his 3 previous books and this one is no exception. One of my absolute favorite new authors and his books are a must buy for me.

Ok next I went in a bit of a different direction with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl. I read chocolate factory as a kid but I don't think I ever finished Glass Elevator. Chocolate Factory is still fun but my god the sequel is absolutely insane.....and not in the good way. There is some fun there but it feels so unfocused like he had 2 or 3 ideas but couldn't flesh them out to full book length so he just stitched everything together. Oh and a dash of racism for good measure.

Then I finally finished the other 2 stories in Things Have Gotten Worse Since We Last Spoke and Other Misfortunes by Eric LaRocca. I read the main story months ago which I thought was fine but I don't understand all the hype about it. I feel the same way about the other 2 stories in this edition. Interesting ideas but the execution feels incomplete.

Currently reading The Arctic Incident (Artemis Fowl #2) by Eoin Colfer.

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4296 on: February 20, 2024, 08:21:16 AM »
The Geography of Jazz by Lenard D. Moore

Death's End by Cixin Liu

And done. First book I really liked, second book was alright, the third book wasn't for me. Still, some interesting stuff there.
Sorry the last book didn't hit for you.  I enjoyed all three quite a bit.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #4297 on: February 21, 2024, 01:57:36 PM »
Set My Heart to Five by Simon Stephenson

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4298 on: February 24, 2024, 11:53:39 AM »
A Conjuring of Light - Shades of Magic #3 by V.E. Schwab
 Still not sure I enjoyed this. The main characters from the first two books almost became side characters. Actually, it was like there was no lead characters anymore. Meh - 3.25

I really liked the first one, so I was pretty excited to continue the series, but the sequels were just sort of ok for me, not great. I did really like the White London guy, I can't remember his name now, but he was an interesting character.

Edit. Holland! I think his name was Holland.

The Gathering Storm - The Wheel of Time #12 by Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan
 Such a breath of fresh air from the slog of 5-11. Brandon Sanderson makes these books easier to read while still being respectful of Robert Jordan. Also don't think I cringed at any mention of neck or hem lines - 3.75

Jordan's view of gender wore on me so much throughout the series. Every interaction between a man and a woman played out in exactly the same way. It was such a relief to get to Brandon's books where a male and female character could actually have friendships and productive conversations that weren't just sniping at each other.

Also, recently finished Arthur Phillips's The Egyptologist, which I think I picked up based on someone's list of epistolary novels, and really enjoyed it. I also saw a review of it from Tom Bissell that was pretty down on it which honestly encouraged me to pick it up because I find Tom Bissell unbearably pretentious.

Currently reading Hannu Rajaniemi's The Fractal Prince, the sequel to The Quantum Thief which I read several years ago and liked a lot. It's really out-there sci-fi that's on the border of being fantasy by how ridiculous some of the ideas are, but I don't mean that as a negative. It's like a space-opera level universe but with a fairly small-scale plot scope and really enjoyable characters. I've also got book 3 waiting on the floor once I finish this one.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 12:46:44 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

« Reply #4299 on: February 24, 2024, 12:35:49 PM »
finished Heaven and Earth Grocery Store. incredible book
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4300 on: February 24, 2024, 03:47:05 PM »
Songs of America: Patriotism,  Protest, and the Music That Made a Nation by Jon Meacham and Tim McGraw

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #4301 on: February 24, 2024, 05:09:27 PM »
Boucle D'Or by Yvan Godbout.

Completely random pull from the French section of my library.  Some kind of light horror take on Goldilock and the Three Bears. I'm about 1/3 in,  and not much has been going on. Might abandon at the half way point if it doesn't pick up

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4302 on: February 26, 2024, 08:18:02 PM »
Fletch Won by Gregory McDonald

Offline masterthes

« Reply #4303 on: February 28, 2024, 06:24:48 PM »
Wrestlecrap by R.D. Reynolds

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4304 on: March 01, 2024, 09:14:42 AM »
Fletch, Too by Gregory McDonald