Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 286429 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #3990 on: March 18, 2023, 06:29:02 AM »
Mistborn era 1 was good, Mistborn era 2 was GREAT.

Agreed. Wayne Terrisman might be my favorite character ever.
Have you read through The Lost Metal? I balled like a baby. I made my current dnd character using Steris as a base of personality. She’s great!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3991 on: March 18, 2023, 06:44:44 AM »
Mistborn era 1 was good, Mistborn era 2 was GREAT.

Agreed. Wayne Terrisman might be my favorite character ever.
Have you read through The Lost Metal? I balled like a baby. I made my current dnd character using Steris as a base of personality. She’s great!

Yes, twice. It was heartbreaking/heartwarming. One of Sanderson's greatest moments, IMO.

Steris turned out to be the star of the last two books, which was very surprising given where she started out in the story.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3992 on: March 18, 2023, 07:57:31 AM »

Yes, twice. It was heartbreaking/heartwarming. One of Sanderson's greatest moments, IMO.

Steris turned out to be the star of the last two books, which was very surprising given where she started out in the story.
Agreed, are you all caught up in Stormlight also? I think there were also a couple teary moments in RoW for me. I've still got Warbreaker and Tess to get to, but after that I think I've got the whole Cosmere read - well until the next release lol

Steris didn't come across very well in book 1, thats for sure. I don't think we got a lot of her in it either. The forced engagement also didn't make her seem very sweet, but she really is. For my character, I've made her a Book of Plans and Backup Plans for Adventuring and also a d100 table of witty comments when the moment seems right lol

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3993 on: March 20, 2023, 07:03:37 AM »
I've been reading a book about Medieval History by Chris Wickham. I think it's called "Medieval Europe". It's very fascinating, if not a bit over my head, at times.

I also started "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius. The Stoics have been interesting to me lately, and for someone with an M.Phil I do not read enough philosophy or classics anymorel.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3994 on: March 20, 2023, 04:12:43 PM »
Meditations is great, lots of amazing thoughts there.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3995 on: March 21, 2023, 06:35:22 AM »
Agreed, are you all caught up in Stormlight also? I think there were also a couple teary moments in RoW for me.

I'm caught up. It's probably getting close to reread time, actually.

Yeah, Rhythm of War is my favorite so far. The emergence of Navani Kholin as a major force for the human faction has been a long time coming, overdue, and very well executed. Her frienemy relationship with Raboniel is the highlight for me. The end of Kaladin's depression and whinging is also very welcome.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3996 on: March 21, 2023, 06:46:16 AM »
Agreed, are you all caught up in Stormlight also? I think there were also a couple teary moments in RoW for me.

I'm caught up. It's probably getting close to reread time, actually.

Yeah, Rhythm of War is my favorite so far. The emergence of Navani Kholin as a major force for the human faction has been a long time coming, overdue, and very well executed. Her frienemy relationship with Raboniel is the highlight for me. The end of Kaladin's depression and whinging is also very welcome.

I love how in each book, different characters are given the spotlight, so the world is just growing so huge! I just got the Stormlight tabletop game and the art is so great. There's a card with who I assume is Teft based on some context clues and I got all pouty just looking at it.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3997 on: March 23, 2023, 04:51:36 AM »
I'm starting Mistborn 2 in May. I'm halfway through Elantris and still liking it

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3998 on: March 24, 2023, 08:11:15 PM »
D: A Tale of Two Worlds by Michel Faber
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3999 on: March 26, 2023, 06:28:19 AM »
Fool's Quest by Robin Hobb

So far I'm finding this trilogy solid and enjoyable, but not better than the previous Fitz / Fool trilogy. Still, very good read so far.

And onto Assassin's Fate by the same author.

I've said it before, but I loved all those books. Hobb is terrific. The ending of that book...

While I may have complaints about some particular books in the moment (Dragon Keeper was fairly slow and mostly setup, etc), I dove into each series with great anticipation, and as I said (or perhaps didn't), I saved this last trilogy to start reading around my birthday this year (February 19th) because I knew I would enjoy it at least. These books are my favourite fantasy read in the last couple of years.

There are books and series I vividly remember reading for the first time and those memories bring me a lot of joy and nostalgia for how special that experience was. Realm of the Elderlings is that kind of series. Of course I'm a bit sad this is the last book, but I'm sure 1) I'll remember it fondly and 2) there are many more fantastic books for me to discover from other authors.

I'm also sacrificing sleep to read a couple more chapters each day which is always a good sign for the book. :lol

Finally finished this. Cried several times. Actually I think I've cried more while reading Realm of the Elderlings books than while reading any other series. Such a good ending too.

If I had to rank the series, I'd go with 3 > 5 > 2 = 4 > 1.

I've recommended Sanderson to my best friend a while ago and he got to Rhythm of War so I'm rereading it along with him so we can discuss it as we read.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #4000 on: March 26, 2023, 12:36:54 PM »
Elantris was a win for me. I finally decided to read the first omnibus of Vinland Saga. Will definitely continue with that series. Now reading Hollywood: The Oral History by Jeanine Basinger and Sam Wasson

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4001 on: March 28, 2023, 06:31:45 AM »
Finally finished this. Cried several times. Actually I think I've cried more while reading Realm of the Elderlings books than while reading any other series. Such a good ending too.

If I had to rank the series, I'd go with 3 > 5 > 2 = 4 > 1.

I've recommended Sanderson to my best friend a while ago and he got to Rhythm of War so I'm rereading it along with him so we can discuss it as we read.

I had such an empty feeling when I finished that book. I was completely satisfied with the stories Hobb had told and didn't really need anything else from that world, yet... I couldn't help but feel loss because I wouldn't be returning.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4002 on: March 29, 2023, 06:29:29 AM »
Stella Maris by Cormac McCarthy
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #4003 on: March 30, 2023, 03:26:47 PM »
My immediate reading plans are A Day of Fallen Night by Samantha Shannon and The Boys by Ron and Clint Howard. Hoping to finish either one or both of them before Sanderson's next secret project, and then all through April, I'll be working on Mother of Learning by Nobody103. I'm liking the whole magic school vibes, but the MC is a bit of a jerk so far. I'm hoping he goes through some positive character growth, or I'll be lucky to even finish the first arc
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 06:44:07 PM by masterthes »

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4004 on: March 31, 2023, 06:50:42 AM »
I just finished Jade War - The Green Bone Saga book 2 and it was even better than book 1. Its like Asian godfather with magic. Looking forward to the 3rd book once its available from the library.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4005 on: April 03, 2023, 12:32:11 PM »
The Simarillion, Illustrated by the Author, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #4006 on: April 06, 2023, 09:10:16 AM »

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4007 on: April 06, 2023, 09:46:31 AM »
Back to the world of The First Law with The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie

That took me some time, wasn't really my thing. Having an actual story to tell would improve this a lot imo. But you get some background on some of the characters in his trilogies.

Now reading Pink Floyd - Pigs Might Fly by Mark Blake
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline masterthes

« Reply #4008 on: April 11, 2023, 04:56:56 AM »
Finally finished A Day of Fallen Night. It was very good, but Priory was better. Moving on to The Frugal Wizard's Guide to Surviving Medieval England by Brandon Sanderson and The Making of Star Wars by J.W. Rinzler

Offline masterthes

« Reply #4009 on: April 15, 2023, 08:37:48 PM »
How to Sell a Haunted House by Grady Hendrix

Offline masterthes

« Reply #4010 on: April 19, 2023, 04:56:51 PM »
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4011 on: April 19, 2023, 07:08:00 PM »
Just finished No Plan B by the brothers Child. I don't want to send Reacher over the Reichenbach Falls - I would not want to see him go out like that - but I do believe it might be time to end this series. This book was... fine. Just like the last two, which I barely remember, because they were so unmemorable. This is the first one, however, where I noticed small differences in Reacher and his actions. I've read all the books, so am familiar with the character. I couldn't even give you examples. But while reading, I caught them. I also felt there was little actual investigating going on, which is one of the things that drew me in to the series. I felt for most of the book Reacher did very little. He followed some crumbs to address some injustice, but the journey was so uneventful, I didn't care what it was he found when he ultimately got there.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #4012 on: April 19, 2023, 08:33:44 PM »
Just finished No Plan B by the brothers Child. I don't want to send Reacher over the Reichenbach Falls - I would not want to see him go out like that - but I do believe it might be time to end this series. This book was... fine. Just like the last two, which I barely remember, because they were so unmemorable. This is the first one, however, where I noticed small differences in Reacher and his actions. I've read all the books, so am familiar with the character. I couldn't even give you examples. But while reading, I caught them. I also felt there was little actual investigating going on, which is one of the things that drew me in to the series. I felt for most of the book Reacher did very little. He followed some crumbs to address some injustice, but the journey was so uneventful, I didn't care what it was he found when he ultimately got there.

This is a 100% accurate description of the book.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4013 on: April 20, 2023, 11:14:12 AM »
Jesus on Trial by David Limbaugh
Spygate by Dan Bongino
Return to the Brain of Eden by Tony Wright and Graham Gynn

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #4014 on: April 20, 2023, 02:03:15 PM »
Final book in the Hussite trilogy. I was going to read another french Potter book before finishing the series, but the last book left so much unresolved I couldn't resist.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #4015 on: April 20, 2023, 07:10:45 PM »
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King
I was not a fan, but, with the exception of some short story collections, I am done with his back list (unless I do want to read Rose Madder in the future). Moving on, Murder Your Employer by Rupert Holmes looks like it could be fun

Offline masterthes

« Reply #4016 on: April 27, 2023, 07:28:07 PM »
I recently read the graphic novel Batman '89, which I thought was really great. Finally finished the first arc to Mother of Learning, jumping into the second one, and finally getting back to the Star Wars EU with Annihilation by Drew Karpyshyn

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #4017 on: April 30, 2023, 01:16:03 AM »
Redshirts by John Scalzi

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4018 on: May 02, 2023, 07:01:00 AM »
The Immortal Hulk - Or Is He Both? by Al Ewing, Joe Bennett, Ruy Jose, and Paul Mounts

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #4019 on: May 02, 2023, 08:01:29 AM »
Sleeping Beauties by Owen King an Stephen King

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4020 on: May 02, 2023, 12:29:21 PM »
Finished Tress by Sanderson. Nice, lighthearted break after Jade Legacy lol Very much enjoyed it.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #4021 on: May 03, 2023, 05:05:39 AM »
Annihilation was great, my favorite Star Wars EU book so far. Now reading The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson and Steven Spielberg: A Biography by Joseph McBride

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4022 on: May 03, 2023, 08:23:20 AM »
Moon Knight - The Midnight Mission by Jed MacKay, Alessandro Cappuccio, and Rachelle Rosenberg

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4023 on: May 03, 2023, 11:15:03 AM »
Uprooted by Naomi Novik
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4024 on: May 03, 2023, 03:40:23 PM »
The Gnostic Gospels by Elaine Pagels