Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 291645 times)

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #3955 on: February 05, 2023, 01:46:00 PM »
Read Gwendy's Button Box by Stephen King/Richard Chizmar, which was rather short, but not bad. And now turning to The Long War by Terry Pratchett/Stephen Baxter. I quite liked the first book in the long earth series, let's see how this one turns out.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3956 on: February 06, 2023, 06:58:19 AM »
Read Gwendy's Button Box by Stephen King/Richard Chizmar, which was rather short, but not bad.
If you're interested, there are two more books in the trilogy (the second features only Chizmar, not King, but he's back for the third).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #3957 on: February 06, 2023, 07:18:46 AM »
Thanks, but I already know that and and plan to read them sometime in the future.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3958 on: February 06, 2023, 11:34:52 AM »
Thanks, but I already know that and and plan to read them sometime in the future.
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3959 on: February 06, 2023, 04:02:13 PM »
First series of the year is done. Will definitely be continuing on with [b[Best Served Cold[/b] in March. Now, reading James Patterson by James Patterson: The Stories of my Life by James Patterson as a bit of a palate cleanser 

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3960 on: February 08, 2023, 03:59:45 PM »
Back to fiction with Anxious People by Fredrik Backman

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3961 on: February 12, 2023, 06:45:17 AM »
On top of finishing Anxious People, I was listening to The Original by Brandon Sanderson and Mary Kowal. Very meh. Anxious People was alright, but not as good as Ove or Beartown. Now, finally starting The Wall of Storms by Ken Liu

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3962 on: February 15, 2023, 12:19:02 PM »
Onto another book with "house" in the title, House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
Oh boy, dunno if it will be your thing, but that book was absolutely mental when I read it. Love it.

That was... something :lol

I absolutely loved most of the Navidson record. The SOS chapter was in particular amazing, and all the three times Navidson goes in are very immersive. I would've liked the book more if it was even more focused on the actual Navidson's story.

Truant's ramblings, well, there was something in there, but it was so diluted throughout the novel that at some point I began to skim-read them. I do feel I missed something with his mother letters and the checkmark on page 97 and the whole ending, so if you want, you can send me a PM with what you thought about that whole thing.

I saw this book categorized as horror, if so, I mostly missed the horror part, perhaps due to presentation and prose. I did enjoy the book, but ended up being mostly underwhelmed because the interesting parts were constantly interrupted by the parts I didn't have any investment in. Also I'm pretty sure I looked like an idiot reading the book upside down on the train. :lol

Onto Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb, been saving this trilogy as I'm sure I'll enjoy it - I haven't read a bad Robin Hobb book yet.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #3963 on: February 15, 2023, 12:27:28 PM »
The Chemistry Of Death by Simon Beckett

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3964 on: February 15, 2023, 01:48:59 PM »

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3965 on: February 16, 2023, 02:24:03 AM »
Onto another book with "house" in the title, House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
Oh boy, dunno if it will be your thing, but that book was absolutely mental when I read it. Love it.

I absolutely loved most of the Navidson record. The SOS chapter was in particular amazing, and all the three times Navidson goes in are very immersive. I would've liked the book more if it was even more focused on the actual Navidson's story.

Truant's ramblings, well, there was something in there, but it was so diluted throughout the novel that at some point I began to skim-read them. I do feel I missed something with his mother letters and the checkmark on page 97 and the whole ending, so if you want, you can send me a PM with what you thought about that whole thing.

I saw this book categorized as horror, if so, I mostly missed the horror part, perhaps due to presentation and prose. I did enjoy the book, but ended up being mostly underwhelmed because the interesting parts were constantly interrupted by the parts I didn't have any investment in. Also I'm pretty sure I looked like an idiot reading the book upside down on the train. :lol

Onto Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb, been saving this trilogy as I'm sure I'll enjoy it - I haven't read a bad Robin Hobb book yet.
I'm right with you on HOL. If they focused more on the Navidson stuff, it would have been amazing. would love to see them adapt that section for a movie

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3966 on: February 20, 2023, 07:14:42 PM »
The Wall of Storms was a little less solid than the first book. I thought the flashbacks were a little bit jarring and the science stuff was over my head, but I still really enjoyed it.

Over the weekend, I read I Hate Fairyland Books One and Two by Skottie Young. Fun and demented comic series.

Just recently finished an excellent novella called Hamlet, Prince of Robots by M. Darusha Wehm. I'm a sucker for anything Shakespeare related. Now, switching it up with some historical fiction: The Songbook of Benny Lament by Amy Harmon

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #3967 on: February 21, 2023, 08:28:59 AM »
Next re-read is The Long Dark Tea-Time Of The Soul by Douglas Adams

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #3968 on: February 22, 2023, 02:27:16 PM »
Liarmouth: A Feel Bad Romance by John Waters. Having seen all of his movies I thought I knew what I was in for but this may be the most insane things he's ever written. How any of it is gonna translate to the movie that's in production I have no idea lol.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3969 on: February 22, 2023, 05:32:24 PM »
Benny Lament was so good. It's my book of the month so far and I have a good feeling it will be in my favorites for the year. Beck to fantasy with The Justice of Kings by Richard Swan

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3970 on: February 24, 2023, 01:01:34 PM »

Sure, it's been a while since I've read it but I can send you a YT video (if that's still a thing there) that makes a very deep and thoughtful analysis of the book's theme and ending.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3971 on: February 28, 2023, 07:38:13 AM »
Recently finished Singular Sensation: The Triumph of Broadway by Michael Riedel. Thought it was just as good as Razzle Dazzle

Currently, listening to Oscar Wars by March Schulman, reading The Veiled Throne by Ken Liu and The Start: 1904 - 1930 by William L. Shirer

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3972 on: February 28, 2023, 08:15:33 AM »
Sure, it's been a while since I've read it but I can send you a YT video (if that's still a thing there) that makes a very deep and thoughtful analysis of the book's theme and ending.

Yeah, YouTube is still accessible even without VPN.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3973 on: March 06, 2023, 01:09:32 PM »
Razorblade Tears by S.A. Cosby

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3974 on: March 07, 2023, 01:43:55 PM »

Fool's Quest by Robin Hobb

So far I'm finding this trilogy solid and enjoyable, but not better than the previous Fitz / Fool trilogy. Still, very good read so far.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #3975 on: March 08, 2023, 10:03:50 PM »
Back to the world of The First Law with The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3976 on: March 10, 2023, 12:51:55 PM »
Taking a bit of a pause on The Veiled Throne (don't know for how long). Yesterday, I finished Carrie Soto is Back by Taylor Jenkins Reid (very good) and now reading Debunked by Ditto Abbott 

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3977 on: March 10, 2023, 06:19:15 PM »
The author of the Red Rising series, Pierce Brown, is doing a live Q&A on the Sons of Ares Discord in 40 minutes :caffeine:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3978 on: March 12, 2023, 07:35:19 AM »
The Passenger by Cormac Mccarthy

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3979 on: March 15, 2023, 12:17:56 PM »

So far I'm finding this trilogy solid and enjoyable, but not better than the previous Fitz / Fool trilogy. Still, very good read so far.

And onto Assassin's Fate by the same author.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3980 on: March 16, 2023, 06:00:43 AM »

I've said it before, but I loved all those books. Hobb is terrific. The ending of that book...
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3981 on: March 16, 2023, 12:55:32 PM »

I've said it before, but I loved all those books. Hobb is terrific. The ending of that book...

While I may have complaints about some particular books in the moment (Dragon Keeper was fairly slow and mostly setup, etc), I dove into each series with great anticipation, and as I said (or perhaps didn't), I saved this last trilogy to start reading around my birthday this year (February 19th) because I knew I would enjoy it at least. These books are my favourite fantasy read in the last couple of years.

There are books and series I vividly remember reading for the first time and those memories bring me a lot of joy and nostalgia for how special that experience was. Realm of the Elderlings is that kind of series. Of course I'm a bit sad this is the last book, but I'm sure 1) I'll remember it fondly and 2) there are many more fantastic books for me to discover from other authors.

I'm also sacrificing sleep to read a couple more chapters each day which is always a good sign for the book. :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3982 on: March 16, 2023, 01:54:14 PM »
:tup

I just finished Fated by Benedict Jacka and enjoyed it enough that I'm moving on to Cursed by the same author.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3983 on: March 16, 2023, 04:27:46 PM »
Elantris by Brandon Sanderson; unfortunately, Dandelion Dynasty is a DNF for me

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3984 on: March 17, 2023, 09:07:46 AM »
Elantris by Brandon Sanderson; unfortunately, Dandelion Dynasty is a DNF for me
I could tell this was a very early work for BS, it was a bit clunky and not as fleshed out as his current writing. However, you can see the bread crumbs for what he develops and I love the whole universe. I can't wait to see another full story for this world.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3985 on: March 17, 2023, 12:45:10 PM »
I read Elantris after Mistborn and probably after Warbreaker too, but I still think this is a solid story and book. Could've been better for sure, but still solid.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3986 on: March 17, 2023, 05:17:23 PM »
Mistborn era 1 was good, Mistborn era 2 was GREAT.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3987 on: March 17, 2023, 09:18:19 PM »
Just wrapped up my first re-read of It in a good while. As much as I've always said that It and The Stand were neck and neck for me, I think i have to give It the nod as my favorite King novel. And man, the forgetting as adults at the end really hit me hard this time.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3988 on: March 17, 2023, 10:03:26 PM »
Just wrapped up my first re-read of It in a good while. As much as I've always said that It and The Stand were neck and neck for me, I think i have to give It the nod as my favorite King novel. And man, the forgetting as adults at the end really hit me hard this time.

I read this book at a significant transitional period of my life. When Mike is talking to Richie on the phone at the end, and they realize they are starting to forget again, damn that killed me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3989 on: March 18, 2023, 05:22:57 AM »
Mistborn era 1 was good, Mistborn era 2 was GREAT.

Agreed. Wayne Terrisman might be my favorite character ever.